Glatzel scores for Mainz today

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby fred keenor » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:34 pm

Glatzel opens the scoring for Mainz against Hoffenheim in the first minute today
fred keenor

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Glatzel scores for Mainz today

Postby bluesince62 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:04 pm

fred keenor wrote:Glatzel opens the scoring for Mainz against Hoffenheim in the first minute today

1st start too!
bluesince62

Postby nubbsy » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:02 pm

That's his 2nd goal for them then?
nubbsy

Postby bluebird58 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:38 am

Don’t know whether it’s coincidence or not, but Mainz have been much improved since Glatzel went there, and the win yesterday moves them out of the relegation places.
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby Bluebird For Life » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:46 pm

bluebird58 wrote:Don’t know whether it’s coincidence or not, but Mainz have been much improved since Glatzel went there, and the win yesterday moves them out of the relegation places.

Mainz play some terrific football and hope they go on to climb the table. I can Glatzel returning permanently to Germany which is a shame as he could still do a job for us.
Bluebird For Life

Postby MoodyBluebird » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:59 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:
bluebird58 wrote:Don’t know whether it’s coincidence or not, but Mainz have been much improved since Glatzel went there, and the win yesterday moves them out of the relegation places.

Mainz play some terrific football and hope they go on to climb the table. I can Glatzel returning permanently to Germany which is a shame as he could still do a job for us.

Anyone can do a job for us but can he do a good job for us ? I doubt it, especially given the way the team is set up. If Mainz offer us a decent price for him, we should accept and use the money for team building.
MoodyBluebird

Postby Bluebird For Life » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:33 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:
Bluebird For Life wrote:

Anyone can do a job for us but can he do a good job for us ? I doubt it, especially given the way the team is set up. If Mainz offer us a decent price for him, we should accept and use the money for team building.

Personally, I think he could, but you are probably right, if they make a decent offer it seems likely we will accept.
Bluebird For Life

Postby bluesince62 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:38 pm

When he joined, they were 7pts adfift,and looking like they were getting relegated,but agreed their form has certainly improved some,since his arrrival,2 goals now in roughly 2 games(first few he came on late on in games) shame is,we may not see him back with us,but why would he want to, ic mainz want to keep him? The Bundesliga is a cut above the championship ( unless we achieve the dream of course!!) As said,a good offer would not bd sniffed at, and could be used to improve MM's squad.good luck to RG I say.
bluesince62

Postby maccydee » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:59 pm

Playing really well.

Mentioned as a possible replacement for Haaland at Dortmund.
maccydee

Postby bluesince62 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:26 am

maccydee wrote:Playing really well.

I have said for an age, that with the right players around him, he would be a decent player, he can definitely finish off a move, if given the correct service.

If he has been mentioned in this way, then that puts his price up some I'd say :? He's not an MM type player imho, so can't see him coming back here,so a profit on him would be seen as good business imo. The championship was never the place for him, especially with warnock, and now MM in charge, be a little gutted if his goals keep mainz in the bundesliga, and we missed out on gd!! Especially this time of season, where without Moore scoring of late, we are pretty toothless up top.
What's done is done, and I wish RG success,wherever he ends up. :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:12 am

I'm still of the opinion that he couldn't cope with football in the UK due to the fact it's generally more physical that Germany, Spain, Italy or France. That is highlighted in the fact that tackles that are just a foul or even no foul in the UK, would be an automatic yellow card in those countries.

Glatzel is suited to football in Germany and its no surprise to me that he's doing well there in the top division. It doesn't change my opinion that he wasn't good enough to play in the Championship and do well.

He's not the only one, either. It especially happens with attacking players. You only have to look at Kai Havertz and Timo Werner who moved to Chelsea last summer. Both of them were brilliant in the Bundesliga but struggling a lot in the UK.

There are always exceptions and some players can move from one of those countries to play successfully in the UK.

Good luck to him, but Glatzel has never been and will never be one of those exceptions.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:03 am

At the time, I would have liked to have kept him as a different option for a back up striker, but also said he was rather expensive for such a role.

My opinion now is that releasing him - albeit on loan - was probably the correct decision as we need a more like-for-like replacement for Moore to suit our system and tactics. The situation was made worse when we missed out on other striker options, which happens. Hopefully Moore’s training is being tailored (less physically demanding) around the fact he’s a key player, one that we can’t adequately substitute.

Whatever happens, this chance of the play offs is a bonus considering we were heading towards the relegation zone not too long ago.
103 Barmy Army

Postby bluesince62 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:05 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:At the time, I would have liked to have kept him as a different option for a back up striker, but also said he was rather expensive for such a role.

My opinion now is that releasing him - albeit on loan - was probably the correct decision as we need a more like-for-like replacement for Moore to suit our system and tactics. The situation was made worse when we missed out on other striker options, which happens. Hopefully Moore’s training is being tailored (less physically demanding) around the fact he’s a key player, one that we can’t adequately substitute.

Whatever happens, this chance of the play offs is a bonus considering we were heading towards the relegation zone not too long ago.

Then surely to have made sure of one of those "missed out" players were signed 1st?? We are looking toothless up front last few games, when moore is misfiring,and MM wont play watters,for whatever reason.and harris is no like for like replacement for him either.
bluesince62

Postby skidemin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:16 pm

maccydee wrote:Playing really well.

it was his first start since going there...
skidemin

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:44 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:At the time, I would have liked to have kept him as a different option for a back up striker, but also said he was rather expensive for such a role.

Then surely to have made sure of one of those "missed out" players were signed 1st?? We are looking toothless up front last few games, when moore is misfiring,and MM wont play watters,for whatever reason.and harris is no like for like replacement for him either.

It’s a valid point. Perhaps it came down to financial risk and a player out before in philosophy, for a team that looked good enough to stay up minus Glatzel and had no chance of going up. If the Glatzel loan had fallen through due to delaying tactics, we could have been left with three well played players after the one position, not to mention the other strikers already on our books.
103 Barmy Army

Return to General Chat