Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Mick McCarthy / Callum Paterson

Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:04 pm

First of all I was one who was not too
bothered about Paterson being shipped out.But now seeing What Big Mick has done with players who had been declared not up to it (Flint,Brown,Sang,Bagan).Would Pato have thrived and maybe gone up a gear under the new management set up.

Any thoughts.

Re: Mick McCarthy / Callum Paterson

Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:14 pm

theclaw wrote:First of all I was one who was not too
bothered about Paterson being shipped out.But now seeing What Big Mick has done with players who had been declared not up to it (Flint,Brown,Sang,Bagan).Would Pato have thrived and maybe gone up a gear under the new management set up.

Any thoughts.

No as he wouldn't get into the team? Certainly not as a striker unless he can stay 2yds from goal is usual distance for goals.... Midfield not in million years maybe just maybe in defence but that's questionable as doesn't play there except for Scotland...

Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:16 pm

If Sheffield Wednesday go down get him back,great in the dressing room and committed :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:18 pm

Howieblue wrote:If Sheffield Wednesday go down get him back,great in the dressing room and committed :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Bit of a waste of money having him just for changing room banter? :D

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:40 am

I am not sure why people keep checking up on Parerson. Hes gone. Good player but I haven't missed him. Given his likely very large wage it was the right decision. The same goes for Ward and Etheridge too.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:52 am

Callum Paterson joined a tea virtually destined for relegation, not his choice, forced out by Neil Harris and the Committee for peanuts.

Callum Paterson would of shone under Big Mick, Big Micks perfect type of player :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

110% Paterson gives, has the passion, a proven Championship player and would of strengthened our squad as it should of been.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:58 am

People really need to stop feeling sorry for them self's with pato is what it is!

Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:06 am

Caerphillybluebird21 wrote:People really need to stop feeling sorry for them self's with pato is what it is!

I wish Paterson had never been moved out and rated him, so do i feel sorry for myself?
Grow up you clown.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:15 am

I wasn't too dissapointed to see him go as I want to see players come in better with the ball at feet but we could definitely do with him now. Our squad is super thin and he could have come on the give Moore some crucial rest in recent weeks.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:40 am

I’m really not getting this argument.

Paterson left to play games.

Will somebody please tell me where he would get a game in this squad ?

He would be good backup to Moore but he wouldn’t want to be a sub every week.

He’s a good character and gave everything but I just can’t see where people think he would play in this team.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:32 am

There is not one thing he can do better than Moore and the reason we all like him so much is the fact he wore his heart on his sleeve, gave everything on the pitch, and cared.

My view of Callum was he didn't like being on the bench and wouldn't have liked being Moore's understudy for 15 min cameo's.

Keiffer being so good at what he does makes us one-dimensional but good at it, we need an understudy who can perform the same type of role.

I could never think of a system when we could play two Earnies, Chops or Mc Cormacks without them playing out of position out wide, but could you imagine Kieffer, with Chops and Earnie in the Wilson /Murphy roles :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: mouth watering

Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:00 am

Time to look forward, not back. Patersons best position was as a CF. Yes he would have been decent backup for Moore buts that is what he would have been. I dont think Paterson would have been too happy sat on the bench for 75mins of most games and the club cant really justify keeping one of the squads highest earners to do that either.

The club either need to bring someone in that can do a similar job to Moore, or mick needs to adapt his game/take a chance with watters or Harris. At the moment Moore is running himself into the ground. Its either going to result in an injury or we get a less effective player due to fatigue.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:50 am

llan bluebird wrote:There is not one thing he can do better than Moore and the reason we all like him so much is the fact he wore his heart on his sleeve, gave everything on the pitch, and cared.

My view of Callum was he didn't like being on the bench and wouldn't have liked being Moore's understudy for 15 min cameo's.

Keiffer being so good at what he does makes us one-dimensional but good at it, we need an understudy who can perform the same type of role.

I could never think of a system when we could play two Earnies, Chops or Mc Cormacks without them playing out of position out wide, but could you imagine Kieffer, with Chops and Earnie in the Wilson /Murphy roles :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: mouth watering

or me , but i can imagine Zohore up front and Pato in midfield ..in fact i dont have to imagine it i watched him be our top scorer doing just that along with us being promoted.... my imagination / poor eye sight doesnt extend to all these tap ins from 2 yards that year though... could also have been utilised to give KM a break...
he probably didnt like being a bench warmer but who does ? nobody should thats for sure...and speaks volumes about a manager that he wanted players content to not be playing... 400k that could well cost us 200 mill , if it hasnt already...

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:03 am

Spot on we need to move on and evolve and become less dependent on the set pieces.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:38 pm

skiprat wrote:Spot on we need to move on and evolve and become less dependent on the set pieces.

I used to get really annoyed with out long throws into the box we would do it a dozen or maybe more times in a match for match after match and it would be useless the opposition would simply head it out every time. Now we seem to have found a way of making it work. No doubt it is the presence to four big blokes in the box which gives the opposition too many players to mark. I actually look forward to our long throws. The commentators are right in saying we are dangerous from set pieces they weren't always in the past.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:37 pm

Crayfish wrote:
skiprat wrote:Spot on we need to move on and evolve and become less dependent on the set pieces.

I used to get really annoyed with out long throws into the box we would do it a dozen or maybe more times in a match for match after match and it would be useless the opposition would simply head it out every time. Now we seem to have found a way of making it work. No doubt it is the presence to four big blokes in the box which gives the opposition too many players to mark. I actually look forward to our long throws. The commentators are right in saying we are dangerous from set pieces they weren't always in the past.

I agree. Vaulks throws are actually more accurate than we've ever had before. Gunnarsson had distance but we rarely scored from them as nobody, including our players, could work out where they we going to land :lol:

Vaulks has length and accuracy but also has 4/5 people over 6 foot to get on the end of it.

Saturday's throw actually looked like it was aimed for Flint but went over his head to Morrison, the difference was that Flint had the sense to quickly peel away and get into a position to cause more danger from the flick on. The rest, as they say, is history :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :lol: :lol:

It's so effective that even though the opposition know it's coming they still really struggle to deal with it.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:53 pm

Caerphillybluebird21 wrote:People really need to stop feeling sorry for them self's with pato is what it is!

Erm, their choice for starters...! :roll:

I like the additional comment someone put above, too...! ;) :lol: :lol:

Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:16 pm

I do miss Patterson he had passion and was a good player I think some people on here forget if it was not for Patterson we would have been relegated by xmas he became a striker from being a right back to a midfielder then a striker and he did a good job.

My annoyance is 1 he was a nice guy too always down the hospital seeing the kids as I work there seen him there regular not just for Cardiff City official business he came down in his own time.

He was perfect as a back up for any position especially for Moore that we havent got now and the money we got was a disgrace it really showed Harris was a dickhead and didnt know what he was doing and has damaged this club

One of the worst deals ever done at Cardiff City and worse he didnt want to go he wanted to stay at Cardiff City even to play on the bench so I for one will be angry for a long time over this deal

Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:26 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Any thoughts.

No as he wouldn't get into the team? Certainly not as a striker unless he can stay 2yds from goal is usual distance for goals.... Midfield not in million years maybe just maybe in defence but that's questionable as doesn't play there except for Scotland...

Not as first choice but ideal replacement after 70 mins for poor old Kieffer Moore. Also great cover for Moore if he was injured.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:29 pm

???

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:02 pm

valleyrambill wrote:I do miss Patterson he had passion and was a good player I think some people on here forget if it was not for Patterson we would have been relegated by xmas he became a striker from being a right back to a midfielder then a striker and he did a good job.

My annoyance is 1 he was a nice guy too always down the hospital seeing the kids as I work there seen him there regular not just for Cardiff City official business he came down in his own time.

He was perfect as a back up for any position especially for Moore that we havent got now and the money we got was a disgrace it really showed Harris was a dickhead and didnt know what he was doing and has damaged this club

One of the worst deals ever done at Cardiff City and worse he didnt want to go he wanted to stay at Cardiff City even to play on the bench so I for one will be angry for a long time over this deal

Well said :thumbright: :bluebird:

To many with short memories.

A bit like how they soon turn on Malky, Warnock etc next it will be Mick when he’s gone.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:15 pm

I would have Pato back in a minute. He scored important goals when he was asked to go upfront in the premiership. He also made feelings known when players did not give 100% on the pitch. With Moore on his feet most games, Pato would be a great addition. Get him back when the owls go down.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:33 pm

Should have also said, would like TC to work with Pato to help him improve.

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:04 am

If the WEDS go down - there will be a few players MM will go after .

Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:13 pm

moonboots wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Any thoughts.

Not as first choice but ideal replacement after 70 mins for poor old Kieffer Moore. Also great cover for Moore if he was injured.

How is team going to score? Moore plays upfront on own but hes capable of taken ball on, Paterson cannot do that he cannot hold ball up he cannot direct headers he is just a nuisance player fo we need that?.... his goals are scored 2yards out with him in team will never get that close except for dead ball situations! Has you can see not a fan of his.... everyone loves a tryer but we need more than that if going to progress.