Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Big Mick McCarthy leaps to Lee Cooper's defence

Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:00 am

Big Mick McCarthy leaps to Lee Cooper's defence

On the theme of sportsmanship, this little nugget backs up the previous point about the good-hearted nature of the derby affair.

Steve Cooper and referee Paul Tierney had a tetchy relationship throughout the match on Saturday afternoon.

Tierney had to tell the Swansea bench to "pack it in" when they went up in arms after Will Vaulks' challenge on Jake Bidwell on the half-hour.

But as the game was careering towards full time, the Swansea contingent in the dugout were getting increasingly animated as their team pushed for an equaliser.

Then, all of a sudden, Tierney took umbrage with something one of the Swans staff had said and stopped the game before making a beeline over to Cooper.

It was Cooper's second talking-to of the afternoon and it looked as though he might be in trouble, but was pleading innocence.

It was at that point McCarthy decided to intervene as he leapt to Cooper's aid by saying to the referee: "Paul, it wasn't him. I don't know who it was, but it wasn't him."

Tierney acknowledged it and walked away, before Cooper and McCarthy turned to each other and gave the thumbs up.

Given what was at stake, and that there were 88 minutes on the clock, it was a great touch.

Re: Big Mick McCarthy leaps to Lee Cooper's defence

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:30 am

I wore Lee Coopers , when I was younger . So I'm glad Mick liked them too ;)

Re: Big Mick McCarthy leaps to Lee Cooper's defence

Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:32 am

nojac wrote:I wore Lee Coopers , when I was younger . So I'm glad Mick liked them too ;)

:laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: