Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

VINCE ALM: “ MICK McCARTHY / MALKY MACKAY “

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:46 am

VINCE ALM:
( Cardiff City Supporters Club )

Haven't been posting much recently of anything but thought I would give the team some praise for yesterday performance after I personally questioned their desire and hunger at the earlier fixture this season at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Firstly Mick McCarthy is the first manager since Malky who got how important the welsh Derby is for the fans of Cardiff and Swansea. he ensured throughout the build all week that he communicated that to us. From the first whistle you could see that they were in their faces and playing as if their lives depended on it. We were very unlucky not to go in at half time 2 or 3 up.

The second half the players showed the other side of their game that has changed since the arrival of Mick and Terry, which was our defensive side of the game as Swansea came out and threw the kitchen sink at us. The back five have done really well since the change in Mick first game but the last four games Mick and Terry have had to deal with a lot of injuries and upheaval. We started with a central midfielder at right wing back and left midfielder at left wing back. in the last four games right wing back has been occupied by NG and Sang; Left wing back Bagan, Brown, NG twice; and Ralls yesterday. Finally Brown has replaced Nelson in the back three last two games. It is testament to the management and the senior players Morrison Flint and Dillion Phillips we have only lost one game and kept three clean sheets in that run of 4 games, and credit to Sang and Brown who have both looked solid and assured. Not to be to harsh or critical on Vaulks, Pack, Moore, Bacuna/Murphy Wilson/Ojo but for the majority of that 2nd half they were bystanders from an attacking threat however Wilson arguably had the best Effort on target in the 2nd Half but they were crucial to our defensive shape and also did a good job. However the back 5 won us that game in the second half and every player on that pitch for Cardiff proved to us all what it meant to them to wear the shirt. The pressure was unbearable for us watching at times as Swansea launched attack after after attack but they kept their nerve blocking shots, forcing attempts from out side the box, defending with their lives when the ball was bouncing around the penalty box.

Swansea dominated the ball and the play second half but could not unlock the defence they came close but the one shot on target didn't come until injury time.

The last 4 derbies have been a hard watch for us Cardiff supporters as in my opinion we didn't turn up for any of them and we have suffered as Swansea always do.

So well done to Mick, Terry , and the players for the desire, passion, grit, determination, will to win at all costs, and the importance of the South Wales derby It has been a long time coming but well worth the wait.

Diolch Yn Fawr

Re: VINCE ALM: “ MICK McCARTHY / MALKY MACKAY “

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:56 am

Totally agree with Vince, under managers like Malky and Big Mick, you get passion and 110%. That was lacking under managers like Ole, Slade , Neil Harris etc

I remember going to the Liberty under Ole and we were a disgrace, a 3nil hammering.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:02 am

Well said Vince. 100% agree.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:03 am

Forever Blue wrote:Totally agree with Vince, under managers like Malky and Big Mick, you get passion and 110%. That was lacking under managers like Ole, Slade , Neil Harris etc

I remember going to the Liberty under Ole and we were a disgrace, a 3nil hammering.

I'll never forget that day. Humiliating. Never forgive OGS either.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:07 am

glas wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Totally agree with Vince, under managers like Malky and Big Mick, you get passion and 110%. That was lacking under managers like Ole, Slade , Neil Harris etc

It was embarrassing and humiliating.

Managers like Ole and Harris never had the passion / heart for our club.
It was about them.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:29 am

It was fitting Aden Flint scored the derby winner.

He's not had the easiest of journeys in a Cardiff shirt, from a Warnock favourite to an outcast sent on loan by Harris. He also had hamstring surgery in December.

From exile to hero :ayatollah: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:58 pm

I was really disappointed when we lost to them under warnock.thought he would have got them up for it but we'll done mick.and Terry

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:57 pm

Absolutely spot on.

Loved the reaction from Mick and TC at the final whistle as well.

I was at the game when we last beat them and that was the last time we even played well against them before Saturday night.

Was also at the defeat when Ole was manager and it was embarrassing.

But the game earlier this season was even worse. Glad we can put it behind us now.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:05 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
glas wrote:

It was about them.

Agreed :bluebird:

Weirdly, Dave Jones was often criticised for a lack of passion/empathy but when you look at the derby games under him they were always up for it. Even when we got beaten we gave it a go e.g. the 3-2 game at The Liberty when Bothroyd and Hudson scored and McCormack nearly decked Tate :lol:

I'm guessing his press quotes of "it's just another game", etc., weren't repeated in his team talks :lol: Even McPhail got sent off a couple of times didn't he :o :lol: :lol:

Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:14 pm

nice to see Vince not knocking out players....

Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:11 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
glas wrote:

It was about them.

Agreed :bluebird:

Weirdly, Dave Jones was often criticised for a lack of passion/empathy but when you look at the derby games under him they were always up for it. Even when we got beaten we gave it a go e.g. the 3-2 game at The Liberty when Bothroyd and Hudson scored and McCormack nearly decked Tate :lol:

I'm guessing his press quotes of "it's just another game", etc., weren't repeated in his team talks :lol: Even McPhail got sent off a couple of times didn't he :o :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:00 am

glas wrote:Well said Vince. 100% agree.

:thumbup: :bluebird: