Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Celtic set to appoint new manager "

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:20 pm

Celtic are reportedly set to appoint Roy Keane as their new manager.

The former Manchester United captain has been out of coaching since 2019, when he left his role as assistant manager at Nottingham Forest.

His last management job was with Ipswich Town, which he left in 2011.

Since then he has had assistant management jobs at the Republic of Ireland national football team, Aston Villa and the above mentioned Nottingham Forest.

More recently, he has been working as a pundit for Sky Sports and has also done punditry work for ITV on England matches and major international tournaments.

Keane played for Celtic at the end of his career, between 2005 and 2006.

Re: " Celtic set to appoint new manager "

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:03 pm

Great news.

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:08 pm

Jock wrote:Great news.

:thumbup: :lol: :lol:

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:24 pm

Jock wrote:Great news.

if Carlberg did managerial appointments...with the added bonus of not having to listen to scrappy doo on sky mouthing how he would be punching players if he was in the dressing room..

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:47 pm

Oh dear! The Keane v Gerard restarts...like Keane is a great acquisition... granted the dressing room needs a good kicking up the arse . Then what...Can’t imagine the conversation with the board when he wants money and they say no at some point. :lol:

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:09 am

Keano and Stevie G - Could be interesting next season ;)

Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:35 am

Forever Blue wrote:Oh dear! The Keane v Gerard restarts...like Keane is a great acquisition... granted the dressing room needs a good kicking up the arse . Then what...Can’t imagine the conversation with the board when he wants money and they say no at some point. :lol:

I actually quite like Keane as a player and pundit but he’s never a manager :lol: i genuinely believe he’s a sociopath.

Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:57 am

Jock wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Oh dear! The Keane v Gerard restarts...like Keane is a great acquisition... granted the dressing room needs a good kicking up the arse . Then what...Can’t imagine the conversation with the board when he wants money and they say no at some point. :lol:

I actually quite like Keane as a player and pundit but he’s never a manager :lol: i genuinely believe he’s a sociopath.

I liked Keane as a player had a lot of respect for him, his book, his video :thumbright: but then he sent a text to the Sunderland owner saying I quit, could not do it in person :shock:

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:55 pm

Jock wrote:

I've always liked Keane as a player, fantastic attitude and the same as a pundit, he's not scared to say exactly what he thinks.

As a Manager he fails eventually as he loses his temper and expects to much of the modern pansy players, they generally won't give you the same commitment that Roy Keene, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this does work out?

This is a good insight into his and Neville's thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXPEXvLufJ0

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:22 pm

I assume he will have learnt slightly over the years and it is probably the best job for him. hugely high standards.

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:04 pm

Can see a nice preseason friendly between us and Celtic because Big Mick and Roy are best of buddies.

"Stick it up yer bollocks!"

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:46 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Jock wrote:

I've always liked Keane as a player, fantastic attitude and the same as a pundit, he's not scared to say exactly what he thinks.

As a Manager he fails eventually as he loses his temper and expects to much of the modern pansy players, they generally won't give you the same commitment that Roy Keene, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this does work out?

Watched that video before an it's a good watch. The one take away I had from it though, was that Gary Neville is scared shitless of Roy Keane. Had the same thought whenever they were on Sky together.

I liked Keane as a player because he would give 100% in every single match. He's also a very good pundit because he doesn't mince his words.

But that's the same reason he has struggled in management. As said above, players today won't react positively to that aggressive way of managing.

There's always been the question about his attitude, after he walked out on Ireland at the World Cup when Mick was in charge. Certainly no love lost between those two.

It also didn't sit well with me when he publicly trashed Sir Alex Ferguson, arguably the best football manager of all time.

The two short videos below show how critical he can be of footballers today and I just don't think that sort of tone works as a football manager these days.

He seems far too much demanding than a manager should be to the players of today and has an arrogant nature to him.

Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:01 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Jock wrote:

Watched that video before an it's a good watch. The one take away I had from it though, was that Gary Neville is scared shitless of Roy Keane. Had the same thought whenever they were on Sky together.

I liked Keane as a player because he would give 100% in every single match. He's also a very good pundit because he doesn't mince his words.

But that's the same reason he has struggled in management. As said above, players today won't react positively to that aggressive way of managing.

There's always been the question about his attitude, after he walked out on Ireland at the World Cup when Mick was in charge. Certainly no love lost between those two.

It also didn't sit well with me when he publicly trashed Sir Alex Ferguson, arguably the best football manager of all time.

The two short videos below show how critical he can be of footballers today and I just don't think that sort of tone works as a football manager these days.

He seems far too much demanding than a manager should be to the players of today and has an arrogant nature to him.

yes i watched it too... GN is scared of him but i think he is scared of everyone...
not sure about ....these days... though ....there has always been a way to be strict and a hard task master without being a disrespectful dickhead...
what i got out of it.... Roy is never to blame for anything...