Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ex Cardiff player: Surplus income that you can piss away

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:16 am

How nice for him and others. Give them less and charge us less. Cheaper sky subs and cheaper season tickets.

Sunday 28th March 2021

Sky Sports:

Michael Chopra has revealed he has gambled away up to £2million and he played with injury to cover a debt.

Striker reveals he has gambled away £2million

Striker Michael Chopra has revealed he has gambled away up to £2million and he played with injury to cover a debt.

The former Newcastle, Cardiff and Sunderland player recently checked into the Sporting Chance Clinic to address his addiction. The 27-year-old has admitted he would gamble up to £20,000 a day and that he needed help with the problem. "Your first bet's your worst bet. As the years have come along and I've earned more money I've started to gamble more," Chopra told Sky Sports News.

MICHAEL CHOPRA:

"I was gambling up to £20,000 a day at times. As soon as I'd step over the white line I would focus on football - but as soon as I got to the dressing room I would check my phone to see if I'd won. "As a gambler you want to be playing to get the appearance money. I was playing through injury to cover a debt." Chopra revealed he left Cardiff for Sunderland because the signing-on fee would pay off a gambling debt.

MICHAEL CHOPRA:

"In my first season at Cardiff I had a gambling debt from when I was at Newcastle," added Chopra. "I had to leave Cardiff and sign for another team to pay that debt off. "I have probably lost between £1.5million and £2million on gambling." However, with the help of Sporting Chance Clinic, Chopra wants to repay the faith Ipswich have shown in him and help them back to the Premier League. He added: "The main thing now is to get promoted with Ipswich. They've backed me and I want to pay them back."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Ex Cardiff player: Surplus income that you can piss away

Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:48 am

So what...???? :?

His life, his money, his to regret...not yours! :roll:

You have a morbid fascination with other peoples money and it smacks of pure bitterness and jealousy

If you don't like what Sky (or any other organisstion) charge, then don't use their services. I'm pretty sure you weren't 'Press Ganged' into it any more than you are 'forced' to buy your season ticket that shamefully (I jest) contains no 'freebies' for you?

As for Michael Chopra, one Play Off game (along with others) apart, he did very well for this club and gained an agreed salary, which the club were party to

He made (well documented) mistakes and he has fronted up to them. You are not his judge, so let him live his life in the safe knowledge that for his footballing prowess he is and will remain for those who saw him play, a Bluebird legend

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:07 pm

Agree ...Up to him what he did with his money...most clubs will never drop tickets prices even if wages went down.
I can’t afford a tenner to watch all the city games so have to pick abd choose but don’t hold it against the players as they have to earn what they can.
Chops was good enough earn the dollar and whilst most of us wouldn’t have spent it like he has, most of us don’t have his talent .
Hope he keeps off the gambling and builds his life back up.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:08 pm

Sven wrote:So what...???? :?

You have a morbid fascination with other peoples money and it smacks of pure bitterness and jealousy

If you don't like what Sky (or any other organisstion) charge, then don't use their services. I'm pretty sure you weren't 'Press Ganged' into it any more than you are 'forced' to buy your season ticket that shamefully (I jest) contains no 'freebies' for you?

As for Michael Chopra, one Play Off game (along with others) apart, he did very well for this club and gained an agreed salary, which the club were party to

He made (well documented) mistakes and he has fronted up to them. You are not his judge, so let him live his life in the safe knowledge that for his footballing prowess he is and will remain for those who saw him play, a Bluebird legend

Spot on Chris :thumbup:

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:10 pm

An old article this and his debt culture is well documented.

As Sven said he gave his all for the club, you only have to look at the play off final where he was the only one who tried. Saying that perhaps we could have seen a lot more of him if he did not have this problem hanging over his shoulder. His transfer to Ipswich I recall him saying he needed a change. I thought it was because the club was going through a transition, DJ to Malky, and perhaps he felt he had no future here. Well we know now it was to pay of a debt.

The last I heard of Chopra was he was involved in a consortium to buy Newcastle. I would like to think he has cleaned up his act, fit for purpose, to do this.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:11 pm

This is from years ago this article.
Why is it a sticky?
I have to say I totally agree with Sven on this and the added bonus of a giggle with jealousy bit. Kettle and black jumped straight to mind. Lol.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:12 pm

Every fan and consumer is paying for it though. Can't you see the link ffs, amazing how people stick up for the upper class and yet they are working class.

Classic example of shilling at work to deflect a narrative.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:28 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:This is from years ago this article.
Why is it a sticky?
I have to say I totally agree with Sven on this and the added bonus of a giggle with jealousy bit. Kettle and black jumped straight to mind. Lol.

Apparently he also liked the pot you are missing in your analogy.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:33 pm

maccydee wrote:
Why is it a sticky?

Lol.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:34 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Why is it a sticky?

Lol.

I also fucked up I meant to write bitterness not jealousy. Doh. Haha.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:53 pm

blue lagoon wrote:

Every fan and consumer is paying for it though. Can't you see the link ffs, amazing how people stick up for the upper class and yet they are working class.

I don't use profanity often, but you don't half talk some bollocks, fella...! :roll: :oops:

I really don't know your personal situation but it is clear you are consumed with jealousy and bitterness towards others

Answer me one honest question (that I have asked before), i.e. What would you (genuinely) do, if the roles were reversed and you had money running out of your ears...?

I very much doubt your middle name would be 'Karl', then... ;)

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:10 pm

a sticky ?
a historic article posted by someone who thinks having an addiction is NICE....ffs

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:09 pm

Sven wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:

I don't use profanity often, but you don't half talk some bollocks, fella...! :roll: :oops:

I really don't know your personal situation but it is clear you are consumed with jealousy and bitterness towards others

Answer me one honest question (that I have asked before), i.e. What would you (genuinely) do, if the roles were reversed and you had money running out of your ears...?

You are missing the fu... point. Who's paying for this excess wealth.

They can be on a million a week as long as I dont have pay over the odds to subsidise the wages through Sky and Season ticket prices,etc.

Judging by these replies its ok to charge thosands for season tickets . No wonder these Tory bas... can't get voted out.

I bet you all aginst minimum wage perhaps.

So you all talking boll.....

Have a nice day and fight back ffs.

Swansea cracking season ticket prices.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:11 pm

Mps giving themselves pay rises and massive expenses and nurses get paid in claps. This country is fu... broken. But hey , I guess im jealous and bitter.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:29 pm

blue lagoon wrote:Mps giving themselves pay rises and massive expenses and nurses get paid in claps. This country is fu... broken. But hey , I guess im jealous and bitter.

Don’t take it personally mate. Sven like that always throwing in little digs to try and make people feel bad about themselves. He does it with me a lot. Just ignore his spiteful jibes.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:57 pm

blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:

They can be on a million a week as long as I dont have pay over the odds to subsidise the wages through Sky and Season ticket prices,etc.

Judging by these replies its ok to charge thosands for season tickets . No wonder these Tory bas... can't get voted out.

So you all talking boll.....Have a nice day and fight back ffs.

You just don't 'get' it do you...and that's reflected in the way you respond :oops:

I don't need to 'fight back' (and I doubt you do/can with any real affect judging by the bollocks you spout on here) and I'm definitely having a (quote) "nice" day; one that isn't consumed with envy of others I can't affect

And if you're so concerned that the Swans in their council-owned and heavily subsidised stadium have cheaper season tickets than us, I'm sure they'd accept your money going forward; although I'd keep an eye on their $ exchange rates... ;) :laughing6: :sick:

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:59 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:Mps giving themselves pay rises and massive expenses and nurses get paid in claps. This country is fu... broken. But hey , I guess im jealous and bitter.

Don’t take it personally mate. Sven like that always throwing in little digs to try and make people feel bad about themselves. He does it with me a lot. Just ignore his spiteful jibes.

Yep, Lol,lol,definitely a pattern on here with him . He takes the casted bait straight down fairplay to him. Always, guaranteed a few bites off him.

I've had my say I will now lay the matter to rest FOR A BIT.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:57 pm

@Blue Lagoon

You own a villa with a pool in Florida, correct?

So just like footballers on large wages inflate the costs of tickets and TV subscriptions, your second property is inflating the cost of homes in Florida. You’re hurting non home owners, of which 99% of those will be the working class. So why don’t you “fight back” and sell your property to a first time buyer?

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:03 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:

No spiteful jibes; you're either righr or you're wrong a d Ican show you posts where I've agreed with both of you...

The issue always arises when you/he spout absolute bollocks and then try to justify it with further hole digging

He dud it here; youvdud itvin tge car thread (the u-turn at thecend was noted) ;)

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:16 pm

Let’s get back to having a go at me about our fans being fickle.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:16 pm

Sven wrote:
Bigmarkw wrote:

No spiteful jibes; you're either righr or you're wrong a d Ican show you posts where I've agreed with both of you...

The issue always arises when you/he spout absolute bollocks and then try to justify it with further hole digging

He dud it here; youvdud itvin tge car thread (the u-turn at thecend was noted) ;)

Please explain the u turn? Because I’m still of the standing that’s it is wired and creepy as f**k that someone is trying to harvest personal information on someone in a public forum.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:09 pm

blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:

So you all talking boll.....

Have a nice day and fight back ffs.

in fairness they are cracking..
i see they have reduced them to something similar { not quite as cheap but still } what ours were last year... :thumbup:
no idea why you would want one though tbh

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:21 pm

Sven wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:

You just don't 'get' it do you...and that's reflected in the way you respond :oops:

I don't need to 'fight back' (and I doubt you do/can with any real affect judging by the bollocks you spout on here) and I'm definitely having a (quote) "nice" day; one that isn't consumed with envy of others I can't affect

And if you're so concerned that the Swans in their council-owned and heavily subsidised stadium have cheaper season tickets than us, I'm sure they'd accept your money going forward; although I'd keep an eye on their $ exchange rates... ;) :laughing6: :sick:

they do not have cheaper STs than us.... well not at this point , and he has been told this numerous times... they have reduced theirs but were charging considerably more to start with... they have reduced the south / family stand { cheapest } to 249 for adults which is what ours are this season... cheapest elsewhere has been reduced to 299...our cheapest this season canton and first dozen rows of ninian 279.... he is..as normal...talking sh @@ e

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:12 am

skidemin wrote:
Sven wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:

they do not have cheaper STs than us.... well not at this point , and he has been told this numerous times... they have reduced theirs but were charging considerably more to start with... they have reduced the south / family stand { cheapest } to 249 for adults which is what ours are this season... cheapest elsewhere has been reduced to 299...our cheapest this season canton and first dozen rows of ninian 279.... he is..as normal...talking sh @@ e

Thanks, fella' another thing 'money man' has got wrong, then...

I really don't see how anyone else's finances are our concerns; be it personal or a business in which we do not have a stakeholder interest, e.g. the Jacks

At our own club, we have a choice to partake or otherwise and if we do, we accept both conditions and prices

For I can't remember how many seasons, we have held and even reduced our prices and still our resident 'money man' bleats for more...

You just can't make it up sometimes; well, it seems he can... :roll: :oops:

Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:01 am

Sven wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Sven wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:
Sven wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:

Thanks, fella' another thing 'money man' has got wrong, then...

I really don't see how anyone else's finances are our concerns; be it personal or a business in which we do not have a stakeholder interest, e.g. the Jacks

At our own club, we have a choice to partake or otherwise and if we do, we accept both conditions and prices

For I can't remember how many seasons, we have held and even reduced our prices and still our resident 'money man' bleats for more...

You just can't make it up sometimes; well, it seems he can... :roll: :oops:

correct , other clubs finances are not our concern.....but it would be nice if Mr anti Cardiff would at least get some facts right if he is going to compare our clubs prices to others... i dont think he has even checked it out , just grumble about our club for the sake of it... as for the jacks, ive been to the liberty once , was in our 1st prem season and the ticket cost me 40 odd quid... cracking price :?

Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:30 am

Any talk of paying excess for anything is bollocks unless it is stuff that is necessity ie medication and such like.

You don’t pay excess for Sky, you pay what Sky charge. If you don’t want it you don’t have it.

Footballers are paid very well. That’s because it’s a free market. It’s life.

That money the footballer is spending in the bookies is going into the economy. It’s paying the wages of the staff at the bookies.

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:09 am

maccydee wrote:Any talk of paying excess for anything is bollocks unless it is stuff that is necessity ie medication and such like.

You don’t pay excess for Sky, you pay what Sky charge. If you don’t want it you don’t have it.

That money the footballer is spending in the bookies is going into the economy. It’s paying the wages of the staff at the bookies.

indeed... somehow he has managed to view the world upside down... footballers , pop and film stars earn these fantastic wages because watching them is popular and people are prepared to pay.

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:19 am

skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:Any talk of paying excess for anything is bollocks unless it is stuff that is necessity ie medication and such like.

indeed... somehow he has managed to view the world upside down... footballers , pop and film stars earn these fantastic wages because watching them is popular and people are prepared to pay.

He probably thinks women footballers should earn the same as men.

I’m not sure who he is I got lost in the jumble of it all. But I saw some weirdness going on.

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:39 am

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:

He probably thinks women footballers should earn the same as men.

I’m not sure who he is I got lost in the jumble of it all. But I saw some weirdness going on.

blue lagoon.. i think the a and g were typos..

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:55 am

This why the country and game is broken. People think season tickets, ticket prices and merchandise is fair price up and down the land. It was the working mans game?? BUT now?

You response is dont buy it if you can't afford it.

But I say the opposite and thinks the wages are excessive and fans are subsidising it through tickets and sky subs.

Drop the wages and more hard up fans can go. Drop the sky subs and more people can watch. Perhaps hard up people are using food banks for a reason and have little disposable income for treats. How nice it would be if football was cheap enough that the have nots could go. But hey just keep sticking up for the players and the game.

Its not anti Cardiff either its anti Football and all corporate greedy bas..... up and down the land.