Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Johnny Williams

Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:36 am

Got to say I thought Williams added something different for Wales last night.

He adds energy and is always looking for the ball and actually runs with the ball at is feet. I'm not sure how fit he is but if he can last 60 mins I do wonder whether it's worth Mick starting Moore, Wilson and Williams upfront ?

Re: Johnny Williams

Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:53 am

piledriver64 wrote:Got to say I thought Williams added something different for Wales last night.

He adds energy and is always looking for the ball and actually runs with the ball at is feet. I'm not sure how fit he is but if he can last 60 mins I do wonder whether it's worth Mick starting Moore, Wilson and Williams upfront ?

I do tend to agree. Maybe they would lack someone who’d look to run beyond the back line?

Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:32 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Got to say I thought Williams added something different for Wales last night.

Jonny played in midfield for Wales yesterday and I thought he did well. As you say he runs with the ball at his feet and none of our central midfielders can do that. He's also got the knack of "buying" a free kick. Always a useful asset to relieve pressure or to launch an attack.

Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:22 pm

flatters to deceive which is why he keeps being released

Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:58 pm

skidemin wrote:flatters to deceive which is why he keeps being released

Maybe so far in his club career, but can hardly flatter to deceive from the bench for us :lol:

There must be a reason why each Wales manager gives him some game time whenever he's fit.

Don't get me wrong, I was of a similar view to you but last night and, to a lesser extent, against Mexico he certainly made a contribution.

He may be able to give us something that we don't currently have in our starting XI. Unlike Tomlin who appears to have emigrated !!!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:24 pm

No one can argue with that at the moment , after every wales game i have said why is Johnny Williams not in the premiership he is so good for wales

Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:45 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
skidemin wrote:flatters to deceive which is why he keeps being released

Maybe so far in his club career, but can hardly flatter to deceive from the bench for us :lol:

There must be a reason why each Wales manager gives him some game time whenever he's fit.

Don't get me wrong, I was of a similar view to you but last night and, to a lesser extent, against Mexico he certainly made a contribution.

He may be able to give us something that we don't currently have in our starting XI. Unlike Tomlin who appears to have emigrated !!!

he aint lee tomlin that for sure...Lee scored 4 during the re start last season thats 1 more championship goal than JW has managed in 11 years.....
seems to be two JWs...the real one whose attacking stats are way off people like pack, vaulks and ralls and the one in peoples minds....
the boy obviously has ability ,hence him still being a pro but its equally obvious he so far has failed to turn that ability into effectiveness...

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:11 pm

I agree. I thought it was harsh that he got into the squad ahead of Vaulks (I still feel it was harsh on Vaulks to not get into the group given current form) but thought Williams looked good in the last two matches for Wales. Hopefully, he can have an impact for us in the run-in.

:ayatollah:

Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:56 pm

valleyrambill wrote:No one can argue with that at the moment , after every wales game i have said why is Johnny Williams not in the premiership he is so good for wales

Because He is with US - :bluebird: :thumbup:

Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:56 pm

valleyrambill wrote:No one can argue with that at the moment , after every wales game i have said why is Johnny Williams not in the premiership he is so good for wales

Because He is with US - :bluebird: :thumbup:

Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:56 pm

I don't think he'd be too interested in a move to the Scottish league at this point in his career... ;) :thumbright:

Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:56 am

ealing_ayatollah wrote:

I agree. I thought it was harsh that he got into the squad ahead of Vaulks (I still feel it was harsh on Vaulks to not get into the group given current form) but thought Williams looked good in the last two matches for Wales. Hopefully, he can have an impact for us in the run-in.

Agree with you about Wales but the argument for him to be playing instead of Morrell, based on form, is even stronger.

I just can't see how that can be right morally or performance wise, particularly as Morrell played in the same position as Vaulks has done for us all season.

A player who can't get in a struggling Luton team ahead of a player playing virtually every game for the form team in the Championship ? Sorry, just can't see that one.

As I said, for us I'd have Wilson, Williams and Vaulks playing just to see how it goes and, more importantly, whether Williams can stay fit for a sustained period.

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:18 am

Always been a bit dubious about Williams. Very skilfull on the ball but far to often not much end product and never any goals.For the first time in a decade we have some talented players in our youth set up and should not block their path to the first team with fringe first team players paticularly if they are injury prone.

We could just be on the verge of a golden peroid for players coming through from the youth set up and god knows we have had to wait long enough. Unlike last time when we had to sell Gunter Ramsey and Collins in quick succession to premier league clubs we have a wealthy chairman and even if we do have to sell we can hold our for the top price.

Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:37 am

piledriver64 wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:

Agree with you about Wales but the argument for him to be playing instead of Morrell, based on form, is even stronger.

I just can't see how that can be right morally or performance wise, particularly as Morrell played in the same position as Vaulks has done for us all season.

A player who can't get in a struggling Luton team ahead of a player playing virtually every game for the form team in the Championship ? Sorry, just can't see that one.

As I said, for us I'd have Wilson, Williams and Vaulks playing just to see how it goes and, more importantly, whether Williams can stay fit for a sustained period.

heres the bit i dont get..... you { by no means not alone and includes me } cant see how Vaulks doesnt get in ahead of someone who cant get in a struggling Luton team... but would elevate someone that couldnt get in a team worse than Luton over our regular players... and our promising under 23s... Mick sees him and the others in training so if he went that way im fully onboard...just dont understand the minor clamour for it from fans on what evidence there is..

Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:05 pm

Why did Mick sign Jonny if he’s not going to play him? Vaulks must have upset someone because he’s having his best ever season with us and only Rambo and Allen better in the Wales midfield!

Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:54 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:

Agree would be good to see the three of them line up together and the tighter the understanding they have on the pitch for us the better for Wales ahead of the Euros. I think Williams might be best suited to a super-sub role at the moment though coming on around the hour/75 mins mark to ruin at tiring legs and open things up.

I know it really shouldn't matter but I'll be honest I do like the fact we have such a strong Welsh. contingent in or around the City first 11.

When we go up nab Brookes from Bournemouth as well and hold on to Harry. After that Bale and Rambo will be desperate to come home too ;)