Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW: SHOCK:ARE THE PLAY-OFFS TO FAR AWAY NOW AFTER TOD

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:53 pm

MY VIEW / OPINION:

SHOCK: ARE THE PLAY-OFFS TO FAR AWAY NOW AFTER TODAY??

That bit of quality was missing from Cardiff today.

City did today not look look like promotion material today.

To be honest not a good performance by Cardiff today :cry:

We looked desperate and Moore looked tired and City looked like they had settled for the season :cry:

WITHOUT SEAN MORRISON THE LEADER ADEN FLINT CAPTAINED CARDIFF TODAY.

First-Half: Forest scored in the 29th min and had been the better team, but Cardiff's sloppy defence had not marked Forest.
0-1 :cry:

Second-Hail: City were at Forest from the first minute, but many of their efforts looked like desperation and wide of the mark.

3 GAMES FOR OUR MAIN PLAYERS IN INTERNATIONAL DUTY THIS LAST TWO WEEKS WAS NOT GOOD FOR CARDIFF CITY :cry: :cry:

CARDIFF CITY 0 NOTTINGHAM FOREST 1 :cry: :cry:
H-T 0-1

Cardiff City : Phillips; Nelson, Flint, Brown; Sang, Vaulks, Pack, Ralls; Bacuna; Wilson, Moore.

Subs: Smithies, Ng, Colwill, Williams, Hoilett, Ojo, Murphy, Watters, Harris.

GOAL! Cardiff City 0-1 Nottingham Forest (Garner 29) :cry:

Forest took the lead!

Christie crossed on the right and Garner, unmarked, slammed it home from near the penalty spot. :cry:

Forest deserved their lead.

H-T 0-1 :cry:

There was a Huge chance for Cardiff!

Kieffer Moore five yards out blasts one at goal, but a Forest defender somehow got himself in the way! Huge block.

72nd min:

Triple sub for Cardiff.

Ralls off, Williams on.

Wilson off, Murphy on.

Bacuna off, Ojo on.

It was all Cardiff now but was it to late

Pack shoots from 25 yards, but it's comfortable for Samba.

We looked desperate and Moore looks tired and City looked like they had settled for the season :cry:

UP NEXT SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY AWAY EASTER MONDAY 5TH APRIL LIVE ON SKY TV 5PM :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MY VIEW: SHOCK:ARE THE PLAY-OFFS TO FAR AWAY NOW AFTER

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:56 pm

I feel that's our play off spot gone.

If I'm honest I never felt we were going to get there. Harris tenure screwed it up for us. Perhaps we can forget about promotion and concentrate on next season now. We need to find a backup striker and get rid of some of the dead wood that is not doing anything for us.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:58 pm

We weren't good enough today. The better team won.

We will have to go on a very good run to make the play-offs now.

It will be extremely difficult for us to achieve that, but it's not impossible. Could do with Barnsley winning or a draw when they play Reading at 5.30pm.

But not a good day for us today.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:59 pm

Forest had 1 effort on target and take the points :shock: season ending defeat if you ask me.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:59 pm

Yes,I also think the play offs are gone now and yes let's prepare for next season,definitely a back up striker and get rid of a few.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:01 pm

We never looked like scoring & I don't understand why MM won't give someone else a go up front for at least half a game. Moore needs a rest or to be dropped to the bench for a game. Wilson was the only one who seemed to at least try for long spells of the game but he was alone, Flint is not a leader and we missed having one.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:03 pm

Bitterly disappointing after the Swansea game. We've blown our outside chance of the play offs now I think. Classic away performance by Forest who are very average but nullified everything we had. We're safe, beat the Jack's and can build for next season. Final point is if someone offers 7 million for Vauks I will drive him there. Yes hes honest but hes so, so poor on the ball. The centre of midfield has and always will be where the team has to change to progress.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:03 pm

Updated:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:04 pm

Never over until it's not possible to get into top 6 but doesn't help when keep moore on pitch for so long even though he contributed little and looks tired? Need for a change in formation and personnel to help moore like wingers so Moore is not playing out wide all the time no wonder hes tired! We've lacked a threat going forward as no one playing a central role upfront in opposition penalty area....... flint played last ten minutes upfront not one ball played to him that sums up our problems recently.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:06 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:We never looked like scoring & I don't understand why MM won't give someone else a go up front for at least half a game. Moore needs a rest or to be dropped to the bench for a game. Wilson was the only one who seemed to at least try for long spells of the game but he was alone, Flint is not a leader and we missed having one.

I also am baffled, moore looked f@cked before internationals!! Yet MM doesnt seem to have confidence in any other striker?? Said he would have no hesitation in playing harris/watters/colwill but never really gives them a chance? My one gripe to date with Mm.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:07 pm

I see the old Marlon Packwards was back today. Zero midfield craft, aimless pass it backwards until Philips just wellies it in the direction of Moore.

The midfielder needs a total overhaul this summer.

Bacuna's will live off those two goals until Mick realizes he isn't up to that much in that position. He is a CM.

Murphys deliveries are even better than Wilsons but he doesn't run around as much as Bacuna, so Mick picks the defensive option.

At least we get a few competitive games to suss if any of the U23's are ready for next season.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:15 pm

The new manager buzz has been great, a fantastic effort and lasted well. It’s hard to criticise Mick but we’ve reverted to type.
As Kevin Ratcliffe said in commentary, we are just so one dimensional.

Our midfield is not good enough and hopefully can be tweaked next season. I’m still unconvinced MM is the man to take the club forward long term.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:17 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:We never looked like scoring & I don't understand why MM won't give someone else a go up front for at least half a game. Moore needs a rest or to be dropped to the bench for a game. Wilson was the only one who seemed to at least try for long spells of the game but he was alone, Flint is not a leader and we missed having one.

I also am baffled, moore looked f@cked before internationals!! Yet MM doesnt seem to have confidence in any other striker?? Said he would have no hesitation in playing harris/watters/colwill but never really gives them a chance? My one gripe to date with Mm.

Hard to understand why keeps him on pitch so long? Last time it was because needed his heading ability in defence! Ffs not sure we needed 4 defenders today but MM is a typical older manager very much set in his ways and hardly ever deviates from them .... but it was always a hard task to keep us in top 6 given points dropped before he came in...

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:18 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I feel that's our play off spot gone.

If I'm honest I never felt we were going to get there. Harris tenure screwed it up for us. Perhaps we can forget about promotion and concentrate on next season now. We need to find a backup striker and get rid of some of the dead wood that is not doing anything for us.

Totally agree with everything you say. At the beginning of this year I was seriously worried that we were slip sliding into the relegation zone,,,, and full credit to MM and TC for turning it around, but I think that a play off spot was always wildly optimistic,,, nothing’s impossible, but we got to be looking at winning six games from our last seven,,, there’s the challenge.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:24 pm

This was a massive game for Forrest and it showed they wanted it more than us sadly

Play offs ?? lets remember we all thought it was league 1 football next season under Harris and it would have been if we stayed with Harris thankfully for magic Mick we have a chance to plan for next season in the championship and maybe promotion unlike last season but beating the jacks made even better this year lol

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:27 pm

That was an all round terrible team performance. The optimistic side of me says if Barnsley beat Reading we could still be in it, but I think that might be a far stretch.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:39 pm

We need to accecpt the fact that we are are not going to make the playoffs now. We couldn't even manage to score a goal against Stoke Huddersfield and Forest so it's unrealistic to think we have any chance of the playoffs. For me our good run under McCarthy was due to new manager effect and to a ferocious work ethic in closing down other teams plus some great form from Keifer Moore. No team could keep that work rate for any length of time and Moore is obviously exhausted. It disguised our rather poor midfield when it comes to retaining the ball and total reliance on Moore for goals and indeed our entire attacking strategy.

We need to start planning for next season now,does not matter is we lose a couple of games paticularly if there are no crowds. Maybe try Cowill out from the start Keiron Evans should get some games time too and not just the last fifteen minutes. Watters should also start to see if he can score at this level and give Sang a go in midfield so we can get someone there who can pass the ball.

I would actually drop Ojo and Wilson as we won't have either next season can't see any point in on loan players who won't be with us next season blocking the place of talented youngsters.

Don't blame McCarthy for not getting us into the playoffs we all know whose fault that is.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:41 pm

We need to accecpt the fact that we are are not going to make the playoffs now. We couldn't even manage to score a goal against Stoke Huddersfield and Forest so it's unrealistic to think we have any chance of the playoffs. For me our good run under McCarthy was due to new manager effect and to a ferocious work ethic in closing down other teams plus some great form from Keifer Moore. No team could keep that work rate for any length of time and Moore is obviously exhausted. It disguised our rather poor midfield when it comes to retaining the ball and total reliance on Moore for goals and indeed our entire attacking strategy.

We need to start planning for next season now,does not matter is we lose a couple of games paticularly if there are no crowds. Maybe try Cowill out from the start Keiron Evans should get some games time too and not just the last fifteen minutes. Watters should also start to see if he can score at this level and give Sang a go in midfield so we can get someone there who can pass the ball.

I would actually drop Ojo and Wilson as we won't have either next season can't see any point in on loan players who won't be with us next season blocking the place of talented youngsters.

Don't blame McCarthy for not getting us into the playoffs we all know whose fault that is.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:48 pm

Crayfish wrote:We need to accecpt the fact that we are are not going to make the playoffs now. We couldn't even manage to score a goal against Stoke Huddersfield and Forest so it's unrealistic to think we have any chance of the playoffs. For me our good run under McCarthy was due to new manager effect and to a ferocious work ethic in closing down other teams plus some great form from Keifer Moore. No team could keep that work rate for any length of time and Moore is obviously exhausted. It disguised our rather poor midfield when it comes to retaining the ball and total reliance on Moore for goals and indeed our entire attacking strategy.

I thought we were harrisesque today! Reverting back to type.long balls forward etc,not too bothered as we are safe, but time to give a few of the youngsters their head imho.CCFC.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:51 pm

Far too many home defeats to be serious play off contenders. Our away record is a match for most in the top half, I think they are missing us in the stands.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:01 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Crayfish wrote:We need to accecpt the fact that we are are not going to make the playoffs now. We couldn't even manage to score a goal against Stoke Huddersfield and Forest so it's unrealistic to think we have any chance of the playoffs. For me our good run under McCarthy was due to new manager effect and to a ferocious work ethic in closing down other teams plus some great form from Keifer Moore. No team could keep that work rate for any length of time and Moore is obviously exhausted. It disguised our rather poor midfield when it comes to retaining the ball and total reliance on Moore for goals and indeed our entire attacking strategy.

I thought we were harrisesque today! Reverting back to type.long balls forward etc,not too bothered as we are safe, but time to give a few of the youngsters their head imho.CCFC.

i know its enforced..but too many already.... throwing games ? not for me...you learn nothing..
when it was working at its best mozza , bennett and NG were playing...far too much to lose...

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:32 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:We weren't good enough today. The better team won.

It will be extremely difficult for us to achieve that, but it's not impossible. Could do with Barnsley winning or a draw when they play Reading at 5.30pm.

I really don't think forest were better than us. The goal they scored was due to Ralls not being a natural left wingback being played out of position. He tends to wander infield and did so several times against swansea but got away with it..but this time he didn't. Apart from that I thought forest were very average but we are not at our best and missing some players who would make a difference. Still thought we edged the game even though we were not at our best.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:50 pm

moonboots wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:We weren't good enough today. The better team won.

I really don't think forest were better than us. The goal they scored was due to Ralls not being a natural left wingback being played out of position. He tends to wander infield and did so several times against swansea but got away with it..but this time he didn't. Apart from that I thought forest were very average but we are not at our best and missing some players who would make a difference. Still thought we edged the game even though we were not at our best.

hmmm...once they had the lead they didnt need to take chances...

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:52 pm

The result against the Jacks was great, but are retention of the ball was poor. Most of the team were not on international duty so a period of training to improve our performance was required. Most probably they had time off and looked like they never played before. Poor by management and players.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:24 pm

Going to be difficult to make the playoffs now. Moore is knackered and needs a few weeks rest that was his worst performance for us today, problem is we literally have no one to replace him. Watters ain't ready to step in.

Pack is our weak link, I would've taken him off at half time today. Got booked early and spent most of the game fouling and chasing shadows. We simply can't play him in a midfield 2 he doesn't have the legs. Summed up his day with that awful effort from the free kick right at the death.

Only slight positive were the youngsters today. Sang did his job and I thought Colwill and Harris added energy towards the end but it was all too late.

First time I think Mick deserves a bit of criticism, starting Moore, Wilson and Bacuna when none of them had any rest due to the international break. I would've liked to have seen at least one of them on the bench and I felt the subs came too late considering how bad we were playing.

The Sheffield Wednesday game is must win now.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:39 pm

Updated after more results:

Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:57 pm

Don Keydick wrote:Far too many home defeats to be serious play off contenders. Our away record is a match for most in the top half, I think they are missing us in the stands.

No question home form for a lot of teams have suffered without fans! Recently for 1st time in history more wins for away teams than home ones at this time season.....

Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:22 pm

Its been a weird "non" season for obvious reasons.

I am (and the forum is) strangely calm after today's loss and accept the playoffs are probably out of reach. All about next season now

Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:44 pm

With 5 subs allowed in game all the players on international duty should have been on bench or only played 50/60 mins.
Keeping them fresh from there travels past week will help in next game on Monday.

Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:34 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Its been a weird "non" season for obvious reasons.

I am (and the forum is) strangely calm after today's loss and accept the playoffs are probably out of reach. All about next season now

Anything from where we were before MM and his team came in was a bonus - Respect to the turn around :bluebird: