MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:48 pm

MICK McCARTHY:




“Sheffield Wednesday were very very good today.”


"It was a humbling experience this evening, that's for sure," McCarthy began. "The first goal set them up with a bit more confidence than they would have done, with where they are (in the table).

"Having watched it back we should have defended it better, lets put it that way, that's disappointing.”


"If we play like that we can forget about the play-offs.”


"The second goal, I'm not sure what we can do to stop that, to be quite honest with you. Maybe stop it at source from the throw-in? But they've worked it well. The cross from the wing back and the finish from (Callum) Paterson; well it was an amazing goal.

"The third one, I'm disappointed we gave away the free-kick away, but again, nothing Dillon (Phillips) can do about it.

"I thought we started the second half well, we've had a couple of scrambles and couldn't score and we've been punished for throwing men forward and they've caught us on the break twice.

"But they were considerably better. Being 3-0 up certainly helps, but it was the worst performance we have had since since I've been here. And I imagine it's the best Sheffield Wednesday performance all season."




The Bluebirds were 5-0 down before McCarthy made a substitute, prompting many to question why he had left it so late.




But the manager said it was because he wanted to see a reaction from the team he originally selected, because he thought those XI players could win the game.





MICK McCARTHY:

"Yeah, there was (temptation to change earlier), but my message at half-time was the team I picked, which I thought was the best team for the game, I wanted to see a reaction from them, to be quite honest," McCarthy added.

"To be fair, I thought they had (reacted). Then at 5-0 down I made the substitutes, I gave Kieffer Moore a rest - I wouldn't be taking him off normally.

"That was the reason. When I've picked a team like that, I don't think... I don't think they played badly.

"We got done with goals that were almost unstoppable and then we got a bit disjointed.

"But I wanted to see a reaction from the players that started the game."

Cardiff have now won only one game in their last six, losing their last two.

It has come at the worst possible moment, with Bournemouth, Barnsley and Reading all having registered wins earlier in the day.

And with the latest defeat up in Yorkshire, McCarthy believes that all play-off hopes have "probably" evaporated.



When asked if it was too tough an ask to break into the top six now, McCarthy replied: "Probably. We'll just keep pecking away. We will keep trying to pick up points.




MICK McCARTHY:


"It wasn't so much a disappointing performance against (Nottingham) Forest, just a poor result. It was both tonight.

"If we play like that we can forget about the play-offs.

"But if we can play like we did in the first five, six, seven, eight games, who knows?

"But eight points adrift? Look, it was never in the conversation when I turned up. We got ourselves into that position.

"Teams have looked at us now and think 'These are a threat' and they've had to play better against us.

"Sheffield Wednesday were just very, very good, I thought."
Attachments
469FB5EC-2CC8-4114-9E50-7C6E817BDC8F.jpeg
469FB5EC-2CC8-4114-9E50-7C6E817BDC8F.jpeg (61.29 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
User avatar
Forever Blue
Admin
 
Posts: 133699
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:30 am

MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:51 pm

Mick McCarthy:

"If we play like that we can forget about the play-offs.”
Attachments
D81E83A7-5AFD-4D43-8CF4-7AEE2D4C26B5.jpeg
D81E83A7-5AFD-4D43-8CF4-7AEE2D4C26B5.jpeg (349.54 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
User avatar
Forever Blue
Admin
 
Posts: 133699
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:30 am

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby NIBluebird » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:55 pm

Forget about the playoffs

Morrison and Joe too big a loss

Plus bad starting line up

Can't play Moore against 4 defenders
NIBluebird
 
Posts: 5990
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby pembroke allan » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:00 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Forget about the playoffs

Morrison and Joe too big a loss

Plus bad starting line up

Can't play Moore against 4 defenders



Well he does every game ..
And 2nd half played 3 upfront but only one recognised striker in Moore with 2 others on bench didnt make sense not using subs? at start of 2nd half you just knew nothing would change why would it with same players..
User avatar
pembroke allan
 
Posts: 24321
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:08 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Forget about the playoffs

Morrison and Joe too big a loss

Plus bad starting line up

Can't play Moore against 4 defenders

Wingbacks should push into midfield thus allowing at least 1 other front 3 player to support Moore. Trouble is that Murphy is the only player that’s proven he can play alongside and beyond Moore.
bluebirdoct1962
 
Posts: 5514
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:39 am

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby Danny Says » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:12 pm

I thought his post match interview was pathetic. Talking about great goals rather than slamming the incompetent players he put on the pitch.
I hope he said to Bacuna, Vaulks, Pack in particular thar they can forget about playing again this season as they were embarrassingly bad.
I hope he picks a selection of youngsters in their right positions but he is a stubborn manager - as Ipswich fans will testify.

Why did the club give him a 2 year contract? If he doesn’t improve results or performances in the last 6 games (2 of which may be against already relegated clubs) then he may get a call from Tan to say ‘thanks for keeping us up but the fans can’t put up with next season.’
Danny Says
 
Posts: 2067
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby davids » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:21 pm

Unfortunately Mick they didn't have to be "very very good" to rip us apart today.

Remember this was a team that was bottom of the league at the start of the game and had lost something like 8 of the last 10 games and we managed to make them look like Barcelona.

Hopefully this is one of those times where what he says to the press is far different to what he says in the privacy of the dressing room. It was clear that Harris had lost the dressing room when he started blaming individual players during interviews for mistakes and I'm sure that Mick is far too experienced to do anything similar.

On the other hand sometimes it needs to be pointed out by the manager that the performance from players and management team was badly lacking in all aspects.

We know what we saw Mick and it was unacceptable from first minute to last against a team that clearly wanted the points far more than we did.

So please cut back on the bullshit.
davids
 
Posts: 8148
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby EastleighBlue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:28 pm

Danny Says wrote:I thought his post match interview was pathetic. Talking about great goals rather than slamming the incompetent players he put on the pitch.
I hope he said to Bacuna, Vaulks, Pack in particular thar they can forget about playing again this season as they were embarrassingly bad.
I hope he picks a selection of youngsters in their right positions but he is a stubborn manager - as Ipswich fans will testify.

Why did the club give him a 2 year contract? If he doesn’t improve results or performances in the last 6 games (2 of which may be against already relegated clubs) then he may get a call from Tan to say ‘thanks for keeping us up but the fans can’t put up with next season.’


I thought his interview was fair. That was Sheff Weds best game of the season, maybe even for a few years. Every dog has it day and they scored some great goals tonight. Take it on the chin and stop over reacting. I agree with you on those three midfielders and I trust McCarthy to sort it this summer. Lets hope we see some of the u23s in the last few games too, there is a lot of exciting talent there. I am pleased he McCarthy is here for 2 years, get behind him now.
EastleighBlue
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby RYANBLUE » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:33 pm

Very weak starting line up for me... Ng, Ojo, Harry Wilson........come on, if we have these players fit they start
RYANBLUE
 
Posts: 1263
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:47 am

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby Escott1927 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:44 pm

Always admired mick for his honesty in interviews but think he's deflecting that loss away from himself tonight. That team who you thought was best for the game, conceded 5 goals. Yes, Wednesday were very clinical but we made it easy for them. Didn't think we played badly? We just lost to bottom of the league, c'mon like. Changes should have been made at halftime when we were 3-0 down. Looked better when wilson and ojo were on. 5-0 and too late though.
Escott1927
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:55 am

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby avondaleblue » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:04 pm

davids wrote:Unfortunately Mick they didn't have to be "very very good" to rip us apart today.

Remember this was a team that was bottom of the league at the start of the game and had lost something like 8 of the last 10 games and we managed to make them look like Barcelona.

Hopefully this is one of those times where what he says to the press is far different to what he says in the privacy of the dressing room. It was clear that Harris had lost the dressing room when he started blaming individual players during interviews for mistakes and I'm sure that Mick is far too experienced to do anything similar.

On the other hand sometimes it needs to be pointed out by the manager that the performance from players and management team was badly lacking in all aspects.

We know what we saw Mick and it was unacceptable from first minute to last against a team that clearly wanted the points far more than we did.

So please cut back on the bullshit.

Clinton Morrison said on Sky that he believes that Mick would have said totally different things in the dressing room to what he said in front of the camera. But it would stay in the dressing room what was said.
avondaleblue
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:57 pm

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby Breadwings » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:11 pm

What’s with the new Mick picture being used now our form has dropped? Reminds me of the Harris one with his arms folded looking like a numpty.

Fickle is an understatement for some of the comments on here, we lost, we got thrashed so did Chelsea vs relegated WBA the other day... it happens

Do we struggle without Mozza?... of course we lack that leadership on the pitch, hence why he’s the captain...

Are we weak in certain areas... of course if we weren’t then we’d be top of the league...

Perspective is important, a few months ago we looked destined for league one now look where we are, Mick has done a tremendous job but throughout it kept saying it’s a different story when you lose a few and peoples opinions soon flip to the negative. so perhaps instead of commenting some of rubbish I’ve seen on here it would be really refreshing to in place of doing what he predicted we would that we dust ourselves down, accept we took a kicking that we weren’t expecting and back the club through thick and thin.

We got Blackburn next a decent team in poor form. We might lose heavily, we might draw or win marginally we may even thrash them my point is does it matter? our position in the table is amazing when you consider the Harris half off the season so who the hell cares, let’s just get behind the manager, the team and try and enjoy the rest of the season.

And scrap the picture of Mick pulling a stupid face
Breadwings
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby Ibby » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:36 pm

Best team won.
Ibby
 
Posts: 795
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:35 pm

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby warnocksbarmyarmy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:12 am

I have to say watching micks interview last night really disappointed me. No passion and just making excuses with almost a shrug of the shoulders saying how good they were and the goals they scored were just brilliant. I hope it’s one of those situations where the manager defends the team in the press but in the changing room gave them a rollicking. From the start of the game we had no intensity, no press and were all over the place at the back. Another couple of games like that and as ridiculous as it sounds I would have to start questioning mick
warnocksbarmyarmy
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby Crayfish » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:49 am

No they weren't they wouldn't be bottom of the league if they were very good. We were very very bad. The reason we were very bad was McCarthy picked one of the most stupid line ups I have ever seen a Cardiff manager pick. Worse than anything selected by Harris or Warnock. There were three central defenders in front of them six central midfielders and a lone striker. Naturally you can't actually have six central midfielders in central midfield so two of them played as wing backs two in central midfield and two I don't know what they were supposed to be sort of central midfielders come wingers and maybe strikers as well. They certainly didn't know what they were doing. In addition to that our two most attacking midfielders are the two worst at scoring goals. Williams has never managed more than two in a season and Bacuna went a year before scoring against Derby.

So when we were utterly useless and losing three nil to a team that had not scored more than two goals this season what does he do? Nothing. Possibly making early subsitutions is admitting you picked the wrong line up in the first place maybe he is just completely stubborn and can't admit he is wrong about anything. I am beginning to understand the Ipswich fans criticism of him now.

I think now maybe a few are starting to wonder not whether he can get us to the playoffs next season but if he can keep us up.
Crayfish
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby maccydee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:22 pm

Breadwings wrote:What’s with the new Mick picture being used now our form has dropped? Reminds me of the Harris one with his arms folded looking like a numpty.

Fickle is an understatement for some of the comments on here, we lost, we got thrashed so did Chelsea vs relegated WBA the other day... it happens

Do we struggle without Mozza?... of course we lack that leadership on the pitch, hence why he’s the captain...

Are we weak in certain areas... of course if we weren’t then we’d be top of the league...

Perspective is important, a few months ago we looked destined for league one now look where we are, Mick has done a tremendous job but throughout it kept saying it’s a different story when you lose a few and peoples opinions soon flip to the negative. so perhaps instead of commenting some of rubbish I’ve seen on here it would be really refreshing to in place of doing what he predicted we would that we dust ourselves down, accept we took a kicking that we weren’t expecting and back the club through thick and thin.

We got Blackburn next a decent team in poor form. We might lose heavily, we might draw or win marginally we may even thrash them my point is does it matter? our position in the table is amazing when you consider the Harris half off the season so who the hell cares, let’s just get behind the manager, the team and try and enjoy the rest of the season.

And scrap the picture of Mick pulling a stupid face


Careful.
You aren’t allowed to say anyone is fickle.
maccydee
 
Posts: 8096
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Cottesmore

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby Breadwings » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 pm

maccydee wrote:
Breadwings wrote:What’s with the new Mick picture being used now our form has dropped? Reminds me of the Harris one with his arms folded looking like a numpty.

Fickle is an understatement for some of the comments on here, we lost, we got thrashed so did Chelsea vs relegated WBA the other day... it happens

Do we struggle without Mozza?... of course we lack that leadership on the pitch, hence why he’s the captain...

Are we weak in certain areas... of course if we weren’t then we’d be top of the league...

Perspective is important, a few months ago we looked destined for league one now look where we are, Mick has done a tremendous job but throughout it kept saying it’s a different story when you lose a few and peoples opinions soon flip to the negative. so perhaps instead of commenting some of rubbish I’ve seen on here it would be really refreshing to in place of doing what he predicted we would that we dust ourselves down, accept we took a kicking that we weren’t expecting and back the club through thick and thin.

We got Blackburn next a decent team in poor form. We might lose heavily, we might draw or win marginally we may even thrash them my point is does it matter? our position in the table is amazing when you consider the Harris half off the season so who the hell cares, let’s just get behind the manager, the team and try and enjoy the rest of the season.

And scrap the picture of Mick pulling a stupid face


Careful.
You aren’t allowed to say anyone is fickle.


It’s boring

We go through a sticky spell same old names pop up saying the same old crap, there’s criticism which I’m all for but the constant whinging and moaning is just predictable and boring how can anyone enjoy football if that’s their outlook, I’d suggest they switch to the F1 and support Mercedes instead... results are less volatile

Watching Huddersfield a team that isn’t long out of the prem getting destroyed by Norwich tonight, will end up being 8 nil if their lucky 10+ if they don’t sort themselves out! We’ve got it good but you can’t please everyone, far too many seasoned football managers on this forum that’s the problem!
Breadwings
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “SHEFF WED WERE VERY VERY GOOD”

Postby Bluebina » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:43 am

Forever Blue wrote:MICK McCARTHY:




“Sheffield Wednesday were very very good today.”


"It was a humbling experience this evening, that's for sure," McCarthy began. "The first goal set them up with a bit more confidence than they would have done, with where they are (in the table).

"Having watched it back we should have defended it better, lets put it that way, that's disappointing.”


"If we play like that we can forget about the play-offs.”


"The second goal, I'm not sure what we can do to stop that, to be quite honest with you. Maybe stop it at source from the throw-in? But they've worked it well. The cross from the wing back and the finish from (Callum) Paterson; well it was an amazing goal.

"The third one, I'm disappointed we gave away the free-kick away, but again, nothing Dillon (Phillips) can do about it.

"I thought we started the second half well, we've had a couple of scrambles and couldn't score and we've been punished for throwing men forward and they've caught us on the break twice.

"But they were considerably better. Being 3-0 up certainly helps, but it was the worst performance we have had since since I've been here. And I imagine it's the best Sheffield Wednesday performance all season."




The Bluebirds were 5-0 down before McCarthy made a substitute, prompting many to question why he had left it so late.




But the manager said it was because he wanted to see a reaction from the team he originally selected, because he thought those XI players could win the game.





MICK McCARTHY:

"Yeah, there was (temptation to change earlier), but my message at half-time was the team I picked, which I thought was the best team for the game, I wanted to see a reaction from them, to be quite honest," McCarthy added.

"To be fair, I thought they had (reacted). Then at 5-0 down I made the substitutes, I gave Kieffer Moore a rest - I wouldn't be taking him off normally.

"That was the reason. When I've picked a team like that, I don't think... I don't think they played badly.

"We got done with goals that were almost unstoppable and then we got a bit disjointed.

"But I wanted to see a reaction from the players that started the game."

Cardiff have now won only one game in their last six, losing their last two.

It has come at the worst possible moment, with Bournemouth, Barnsley and Reading all having registered wins earlier in the day.

And with the latest defeat up in Yorkshire, McCarthy believes that all play-off hopes have "probably" evaporated.



When asked if it was too tough an ask to break into the top six now, McCarthy replied: "Probably. We'll just keep pecking away. We will keep trying to pick up points.




MICK McCARTHY:


"It wasn't so much a disappointing performance against (Nottingham) Forest, just a poor result. It was both tonight.

"If we play like that we can forget about the play-offs.

"But if we can play like we did in the first five, six, seven, eight games, who knows?

"But eight points adrift? Look, it was never in the conversation when I turned up. We got ourselves into that position.

"Teams have looked at us now and think 'These are a threat' and they've had to play better against us.

"Sheffield Wednesday were just very, very good, I thought."


They are around the bottom for a reason, we made them look good, the defending was the worst I've seen in some time.
Bluebina
 
Posts: 11747
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 pm



Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], jimmy_rat and 99 guests

Disclaimer :
The views and comments entered in these forums are personal and are not necessarily those of the management of this board.
The management of this board is not responsible for the content of any external internet sites.