Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Way ahead of us ‘

Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:21 am

Norwich City looking like Champions

29pts ahead of Cardiff City.

And Watford 21 pts ahead.

If we want automatic promotion next season then Mick McCarthy will need a good budget.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Way ahead of us ‘

Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:43 am

Forever Blue wrote:Norwich City looking like Champions

If we want automatic promotion next season then Mick McCarthy will need a good budget.

...and be able to shift out some of the dead wood :thumbup:

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:38 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Norwich City looking like Champions

...and be able to shift out some of the dead wood :thumbup:

Andrew, Def :thumbright: :bluebird:

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:40 am

It's all very well shifting out the dead wood but if they are under contract and on a good wedge it's very difficult to get rid of them. The really hard bit is replacing them with good players with very little money to spend. To do that you have to be very smart on the transfer market. Not sure if signing John Williams was a very smart move or adding more dead wood to the pile.We have some talent in our youth team but so far McCarthy has shown a reluctance to play the youth team talent preferring the dead wood. Be interesting to see if that changes now we are out of playoff contention.

If you ask an Ipswich fan I suspect they would say McCarthy is a bit fond of dead wood.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:11 pm

You and I know that is not going to happen Annis.

Tan is not going to put any more money into the club. MM agreed to bring the youth through during his interview with Tan. Time will tell if the youth are good enough to get us promoted. that is the best we can hope for.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:14 pm

Crayfish wrote:It's all very well shifting out the dead wood but if they are under contract and on a good wedge it's very difficult to get rid of them. The really hard bit is replacing them with good players with very little money to spend. To do that you have to be very smart on the transfer market. Not sure if signing John Williams was a very smart move or adding more dead wood to the pile.We have some talent in our youth team but so far McCarthy has shown a reluctance to play the youth team talent preferring the dead wood. Be interesting to see if that changes now we are out of playoff contention.

If you ask an Ipswich fan I suspect they would say McCarthy is a bit fond of dead wood.

For me 100% No for jonny Williams.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:17 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:You and I know that is not going to happen Annis.

Tan is not going to put any more money into the club. MM agreed to bring the youth through during his interview with Tan. Time will tell if the youth are good enough to get us promoted. that is the best we can hope for.

Ian,

I will be as honest as you, Correct NO money , there was none this season either and they are pushing our youngsters in way to fast.
Next season under these circumstances mid table at best .

Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:30 pm

Last seasons relegated sides look like going straight back up.
The short break between seasons has left them with strong premier squad of players.
Normally a lot of them would have been sold.
If pushing for promotion again we need to build a squad over 2/3 transfer windows with fast skill full players.
The days of hoof ball are over I hope.
We need younger players that can pass to another blue shirt (basic requirements in pro player)

Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:17 pm

I think that where promotion is concerned it’s looking a bit grim for next season.
McCarthy is not the manager to take the club forward in my opinion.

As the post above says we need to a whole new system instead of the long ball game and that doesn’t come with someone like MM.

That aside, a big clear out and bringing in better players with a small budget will prove very difficult for any manager.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:I think that where promotion is concerned it’s looking a bit grim for next season.

As the post above says we need to a whole new system instead of the long ball game and that doesn’t come with someone like MM.

That aside, a big clear out and bringing in better players with a small budget will prove very difficult for any manager.

I'm trying to stay positive by putting the downturn in performances and results on the amount of injuries we have to key players.

But I do hope we move away from the longball football though. All future signings should push us away from that now. I know some people are happy to watch a long throw and think hoofball is all Cardiff will ever be able to play, but I personally think its hindering the clubs progression.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:53 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:I think that where promotion is concerned it’s looking a bit grim for next season.

Your last statement contradicts your earlier points and is exactly why McCarthy is what we need now. In a post Covid recession we need to survive as a club and hope another mega rich owner comes along to take us the next step. I am sure Tan will be eyeing this too. McCarthy provides stability. I am tired of the negativity towards him. His teams are not automatically known for a long ball style. He will be pragmatic and play to our strengths. Nothing wrong with that. We need to see what the summer brings and what he does in a transfer window before judging him.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:56 pm

Escott1927 wrote:

I'm trying to stay positive by putting the downturn in performances and results on the amount of injuries we have to key players.

But I do hope we move away from the longball football though. All future signings should push us away from that now. I know some people are happy to watch a long throw and think hoofball is all Cardiff will ever be able to play, but I personally think its hindering the clubs progression.

It’s difficult to blame injuries when he picks a lopsided unbalance team like that but yes hopefully it’ll improve with a few players back.

This long ball, long throw every single time has been pissing me off for a long time and I’m hoping we can move our game in a different direction as well.
I’m not hopeful with a bit of a Dino in charge though.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:57 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:

Your last statement contradicts your earlier points and is exactly why McCarthy is what we need now. In a post Covid recession we need to survive as a club and hope another mega rich owner comes along to take us the next step. I am sure Tan will be eyeing this too. McCarthy provides stability. I am tired of the negativity towards him. His teams are not automatically known for a long ball style. He will be pragmatic and play to our strengths. Nothing wrong with that. We need to see what the summer brings and what he does in a transfer window before judging him.

Agreed.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:03 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:

It’s not a contradiction.
He’s steadied things for now but to progress and change to a style of football which I would like to see then I don’t think he’s the right manager.
To plod on then he’ll do his job well enough.
Long ball aimlessly, long throw every time is the way it is.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:11 pm

so...you dont think a manager who has been successful at keeping teams competitive with a small budget is the right man to take us forward with what you think will be a small budget...?
personally i love watching Man City on the box too..but we are not Man City and until some oil rich billionaire arrives and appoints Pep we are not going to be either....

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:38 pm

Crayfish wrote:It's all very well shifting out the dead wood but if they are under contract and on a good wedge it's very difficult to get rid of them. The really hard bit is replacing them with good players with very little money to spend. To do that you have to be very smart on the transfer market. Not sure if signing John Williams was a very smart move or adding more dead wood to the pile.We have some talent in our youth team but so far McCarthy has shown a reluctance to play the youth team talent preferring the dead wood. Be interesting to see if that changes now we are out of playoff contention.

a reluctance.... not sure if youve noticed but he has played them more in a few months than any manager has in eons..mostly enforced but its also gone hand in hand with a drop off on results :o ... and how far do you want to go pushing kids in from our under 23s who are not brilliant at that level.... as for Ipswich..he did a good job there and the vast majority of their fans think that... he was buying players for 10k and 20k competing with clubs spending millions....will you find a dozen beauts in Ipswich who think 10k buys you aguero .....of course you will but not the majority ..

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:34 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

It’s difficult to blame injuries when he picks a lopsided unbalance team like that but yes hopefully it’ll improve with a few players back.

This long ball, long throw every single time has been pissing me off for a long time and I’m hoping we can move our game in a different direction as well.
I’m not hopeful with a bit of a Dino in charge though.

There's no defending the team selection or performance on Monday. But having NG, Bennet/Bennett and morrison fit would have made a massive difference.

It breaks me as well. At least mix it up a little bit. Teams have us completely sussed out.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:21 pm

skidemin wrote:

so...you dont think a manager who has been successful at keeping teams competitive with a small budget is the right man to take us forward with what you think will be a small budget...?
personally i love watching Man City on the box too..but we are not Man City and until some oil rich billionaire arrives and appoints Pep we are not going to be either....

Barnsley are doing pretty well on a small budget. Millwall are very competitive this season and havnt spent much. That are plenty of teams in the EFL that play decent football that haven't spent silly money. You don't need huge amounts of money to be competitive and you don't need pep to play football that doesn't involve aimless longball football that relies on a long throw as main source of creativity either.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:48 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Barnsley are doing pretty well on a small budget. Millwall are very competitive this season and havnt spent much. That are plenty of teams in the EFL that play decent football that haven't spent silly money. You don't need huge amounts of money to be competitive and you don't need pep to play football that doesn't involve aimless longball football that relies on a long throw as main source of creativity either.

you seriously need to re watch our game against Barnsley or better still have a look at their recent game against Reading..... fast flowing football it was not......Millwall ..just no.... it used to be Swansea were the example but they are rubbish so the philosophers have moved away from that one..
but going back to Mick, he has done more than ok here and is currently dealing with a squad that was always too small with too many injuries its a bit disappointing to see the flak...

Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:46 pm

skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

you seriously need to re watch our game against Barnsley or better still have a look at their recent game against Reading..... fast flowing football it was not......Millwall ..just no.... it used to be Swansea were the example but they are rubbish so the philosophers have moved away from that one..
but going back to Mick, he has done more than ok here and is currently dealing with a squad that was always too small with too many injuries its a bit disappointing to see the flak...

Didnt notice the pitch during our game against Barnsley did you? No one was playing football on that. Never said they played fast flowing football either. But they don't rely on a long throw. The point i was making is that you dont need to be man city to be competitive or to actually try and play a bit of football.

Weve scored 2 goals in 6 games and havnt played well in those games either. Hit and hope football with constant long throws. Its painful to watch. Ive said many times thats its the type of football that needs to get results just to be acceptable. Mick is picking the team and tactics. He deserves the flak he's received after that performance Monday, it topped off a number of bad performances. Hes doing things that Harris was getting ripped apart for not too long ago.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:06 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Didnt notice the pitch during our game against Barnsley did you? No one was playing football on that. Never said they played fast flowing football either. But they don't rely on a long throw. The point i was making is that you dont need to be man city to be competitive or to actually try and play a bit of football.

Weve scored 2 goals in 6 games and havnt played well in those games either. Hit and hope football with constant long throws. Its painful to watch. Ive said many times thats its the type of football that needs to get results just to be acceptable. Mick is picking the team and tactics. He deserves the flak he's received after that performance Monday, it topped off a number of bad performances. Hes doing things that Harris was getting ripped apart for not too long ago.

monday was awful i agree... and Harris was getting ripped apart for similar but had been here longer and certainly at the begining of this season had nothing like the injury list Mick now has... apart from anything else i dont get the assumption Mick has only ever played with an emphasis on long ball..not that its the worse football ever..in fact the worse teams ive seen this season all had one thing in common... trying to play with a game plan that did not work for them...

Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:40 pm

skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

monday was awful i agree... and Harris was getting ripped apart for similar but had been here longer and certainly at the begining of this season had nothing like the injury list Mick now has... apart from anything else i dont get the assumption Mick has only ever played with an emphasis on long ball..not that its the worse football ever..in fact the worse teams ive seen this season all had one thing in common... trying to play with a game plan that did not work for them...

It hasn't just been Monday. We've had 1 good game in 8 and even then derby pretty much gifted us that game. Our entire game is based on a long ball and we arnt even doing it well. Its no surprise Moore has been run into the ground as he continously chasing down lost causes.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:54 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

It hasn't just been Monday. We've had 1 good game in 8 and even then derby pretty much gifted us that game. Our entire game is based on a long ball and we arnt even doing it well. Its no surprise Moore has been run into the ground as he continously chasing down lost causes.

Mick needs to find a way of playing Moore in the centre with wingers/wing backs providing the ammunition! Like Harris and warnock before him Mick as moore playing out wide? our centre forward needs to be in middle as we've got no one there with Moore outwide majority of time.

Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:02 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

yep its based on direct long ball...could be worse we could be racking up passes and possession stats making sure our opponents are all in their optimum defensive positions before laying it back to the keeper a la jacks only for him to then go long.. but anyway... last few games no experienced full backs... and no real creative CM at the club at all...so his hands have been tied... i didnt get so much of what happened Monday but to say its 8 games is stretching it....you cant have numerous injuries and the replacements come in seemlessly unless you have a bigger stronger squad than we have gone with this season...

Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:38 pm

Back to the old days struggling in Championship from next season :cry:

Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:11 pm

bluebirdrob wrote:Last seasons relegated sides look like going straight back up.
The short break between seasons has left them with strong premier squad of players.
If pushing for promotion again we need to build a squad over 2/3 transfer windows with fast skill full players.
We need younger players that can pass to another blue shirt (basic requirements in pro player)

Ive been posting the same for an age! Our pass success stats are piss poor, at around 50% ! Shocking for a team 1 tier below prem!!

Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:48 am

bluesince62 wrote:
bluebirdrob wrote:Last seasons relegated sides look like going straight back up.

Ive been posting the same for an age! Our pass success stats are piss poor, at around 50% ! Shocking for a team 1 tier below prem!!

Nows the time to change things a bit.
Moore needs a rest so why not play Watters and someone in alongside him/just behind him?
Get the team playing the ball on the deck and build up some attacks instead of hitting long hopeful balls down the wings for Moore to chase and inevitably giving possession away.
Not a great deal to lose.