UK SPORT WELCOMES VACCINE PASSPORTS FOR FANS RETURN

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sam ReaN » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:04 am

UK Sporting Bodies Has All Agreed The Use Of Vaccine Passports If It Means Fans Can Return As Soon As Possible.

The UK's leading sports bodies are backing the use of 'vaccine passports' and Covid testing as a "credible" means of allowing full capacities at venues :thumbright: :thumbright:

I fully back these passports if it means we all get back safely in stadiums/sport arenas. The more people allowed inside a stadium who have been vaccinated the more safer we can all be.
Attachments
UK SPORTS BACK VACCINE PASSPORTS.png
UK SPORTS BACK VACCINE PASSPORTS.png (900.73 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: UK SPORT WELCOMES VACCINE PASSPORTS FOR FANS RETURN

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:48 am

Pointless if got to have social distancing! Putting in 8k fans in 80k stadium no problem ... but you try and put 8k inside ccs with social distancing and see chaos at halftime and full time? Unless dont need food or toilet halftime or full time.. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:53 am

The UK's leading sports bodies are backing the use of 'vaccine passports' and Covid testing as a "credible" means of allowing full capacities at venues.

BBC

In a joint letter to the leaders of the major political parties, the group said it could "see the benefit" of a certification process "in getting more fans safely back as quickly as possible".

"We know that our stadia can only be fully filled with an assurance process," it added.

"This process must ensure that everyone can access stadia and must include arrangements that would verify a negative Covid test or an antibody test or vaccination certification."

However, the group also warned that "the final approach must not be discriminatory, should protect privacy, and have clear exit criteria".

Signatories to the letter, which has been seen by the BBC, include the Football Association, the Premier League, the England and Wales Cricket Board, the Rugby Football Union, the All England Tennis Club at Wimbledon and the Silverstone motor-racing circuit.

All of them are suffering an unprecedented financial crisis as a result of being forced to stage events behind closed doors for almost all of the past year.

"The alternative [to certification] is not freedom," Premier League executive director Bill Bush told BBC Radio 4's Today Programme.

"The alternative is social distancing, tiny crowds, major restrictions on people's movement and ability to eat, drink, travel. Away fans banned, for example.

"So to end those restrictions of freedom, we believe that something like this is an acceptable burden to give fans the freedom to attend."

As part of the government's reopening roadmap, from 17 May in England larger outdoor sports venues will be allowed to operate at up to 25% capacity, with a maximum of 10,000 spectators.

Restrictions will be eased further from 21 June, but with all adults not expected to be offered at least their first dose of a coronavirus vaccine until the end of July, full venues at major sports events are understood to be unlikely until late summer at the earliest.

Wembley will only have a maximum of 50% capacity for the latter stages of the Euro 2020 matches in July.

What's the roadmap for lifting lockdown?
Under current plans in Scotland, large-scale events could also resume from 17 May, though the Euro 2020 matches at Hampden in June that could see 12,000 supporters attend are the first confirmation of fans returning to stadia in Scotland.

The Welsh government hopes to put on a series of outdoor cultural and sporting pilot events in the summer, for between 200 and 1,000 people.

Supporters will not be able to return to matches in Northern Ireland until phase four of the Stormont executive's lockdown exit plan, with no date yet set and the next review due on 15 April.

The extent to which all social distancing can end from 21 June to allow for larger crowds at sport, arts and hospitality venues is being examined by the Events Research Programme (ERP) at a number of forthcoming pilots, including a semi-final and the final of the FA Cup at Wembley.

Passes that would show if a person had been vaccinated, had a recent negative test, or natural immunity are among a number of measures to be trialled.

In their letter to the Prime Minister Boris Johnson and the leaders of the main opposition parties, the group of sports bodies - which also includes the English Football League, Lawn Tennis Association and the Rugby Football League - warn that the 25% cap on crowds "will be insufficient to end sport's Covid financial crisis."

They appeal for "certainty as soon as possible" over the plans to lift social distancing after 21 June, "so we can plan efficiently and effectively with many big sporting events scheduled for late June and onwards.

"There are many issues to be addressed including how [Covid certification] technology would work and its ease of use at major events, for both the attendees and the organisers," the group added.

On Wednesday, EFL chief executive Trevor Birch said Covid passports "had to be embraced because without Covid certification, we may not be able to get full fans back in stadiums, which will have a dramatic financial effect."

EFL clubs have suffered £250m of losses caused by more than a season with almost no fans at matches.

However, the use of such measures in wider society has sparked opposition from politicians and civil liberties campaigners, and some figures in sport have also expressed their concern before a parliamentary vote on the issue.

Former Wolves goalkeeper Carl Ikeme urged the FA not to use Covid passes, describing them as a "form of discrimination" against people from ethnic minorities.

"We know black and ethnic minorities are more hesitant to have vaccines," Ikeme told the i newspaper.

"It will create a bigger divide. I don't believe communities who have their own personal choice not to have a vaccine should be discriminated against even further than they have been throughout the years.

"Having these Covid passes is either going to force people to have a jab they don't want or is going to force people not to take part in society the way we're all used to. Football players have been bending the knee all year against discrimination and this will affect ethnic communities even more."

The group of sports bodies supporting certification say that "the final approach must not be discriminatory, should protect privacy… [and] should not be a requirement for any form of participation in grassroots sport.

"Based on these principles, we support the review of the use of Covid certification for major events," it added.

A government spokesperson said: "We welcome the constructive approach from major British sports as we explore how testing Covid certification and other steps can help get more fans back into stadiums and other large events safely.

"We want as many fans as possible to be able to enjoy a great British summer of sport, safely."
Attachments
_117891481_arsenal_fans_getty.jpg
_117891481_arsenal_fans_getty.jpg (71.39 KiB) Viewed 3895 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Sam ReaN » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:29 am

pembroke allan wrote:Pointless if got to have social distancing! Putting in 8k fans in 80k stadium no problem ... but you try and put 8k inside ccs with social distancing and see chaos at halftime and full time? Unless dont need food or toilet halftime or full time.. :old:

Unless they have a row of fans to get food and drinks at half time.. and the work there way up row by row. This would be easier for people to get there refreshments. But they have to get there food and/or drinks and come straight back to the seats they were in before in order to get more fans to get what they want.
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Postby Igovernor » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:53 am

"Former Wolves goalkeeper Carl Ikeme urged the FA not to use Covid passes, describing them as a "form of discrimination" against people from ethnic minorities.

"We know black and ethnic minorities are more hesitant to have vaccines," Ikeme told the i newspaper.

"It will create a bigger divide. I don't believe communities who have their own personal choice not to have a vaccine should be discriminated against even further than they have been throughout the years.

"Having these Covid passes is either going to force people to have a jab they don't want or is going to force people not to take part in society the way we're all used to. Football players have been bending the knee all year against discrimination and this will affect ethnic communities even more."

I am sorry but if ethnic groups do not want the vaccine and they have no medical reasons not to have it, then sorry do not put the public at risk "stay home"
Igovernor

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:37 pm

Sam ReaN wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Pointless if got to have social distancing! Putting in 8k fans in 80k stadium no problem ... but you try and put 8k inside ccs with social distancing and see chaos at halftime and full time? Unless dont need food or toilet halftime or full time.. :old:

Unless they have a row of fans to get food and drinks at half time.. and the work there way up row by row. This would be easier for people to get there refreshments. But they have to get there food and/or drinks and come straight back to the seats they were in before in order to get more fans to get what they want.

What about time it will take? Only 15mins half time like said its not practical in any shape or form in real situations.
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:40 pm

Igovernor wrote:Quote
"Former Wolves goalkeeper Carl Ikeme urged the FA not to use Covid passes, describing them as a "form of discrimination" against people from ethnic minorities.

I am sorry but if ethnic groups do not want the vaccine and they have no medical reasons not to have it, then sorry do not put the public at risk "stay home"

Its got sfa to do with ethnicity.... it's about protecting people regardless .. yes there is legal problems implementing it but its not about race there us a myriad of people except from having vaccine.
pembroke allan

Postby Igovernor » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:00 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Its got sfa to do with ethnicity.... it's about protecting people regardless .. yes there is legal problems implementing it but its not about race there us a myriad of people except from having vaccine.

He is saying that ethnic groups will be discriminated against if the do not have the vaccine, he is bringing race into it when anyone will be discriminated against if they don't have the vaccine, he brought the ethnic groups part into his statement when what he should have said was, anyone would be diasadvantaged by not having the vaccine, so maybe I should have said ALL groups in my post, he is using the race card when it should apply to all unvacinated groups. I am on about anyone who does not have the vacccine because they do not want too, not about those who have medical conditions that they cannot have it, but there lies the rub, do people who are not vaccinaated be allowed to mingle and possibly pass on Covid, or catch it themselves!
Igovernor

Postby bluesince62 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:09 pm

Igovernor wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

He is saying that ethnic groups will be discriminated against if the do not have the vaccine, he is bringing race into it when anyone will be discriminated against if they don't have the vaccine, he brought the ethnic groups part into his statement when what he should have said was, anyone would be diasadvantaged by not having the vaccine, so maybe I should have said ALL groups in my post, he is using the race card when it should apply to all unvacinated groups. I am on about anyone who does not have the vacccine because they do not want too, not about those who have medical conditions that they cannot have it, but there lies the rub, do people who are not vaccinaated be allowed to mingle and possibly pass on Covid, or catch it themselves!

Some great points Igovernor, apart from the last sentence, as I fall into that category, as do many, many thousands of others by default ;) and seeing as we cannot have the vaccine, should we be allowed to "mingle" ?
And there is also the fact of still being able to catch ; spread it, even after vaccination, I get your point regards this race nonsense being brought into it, as that's bollox :thumbright: I'm not going to judge people over what is their choice. after all, if they don't want the vaccine, then surely it is they who are at highest risk of hospitalisation if they get it? Not those that have protection from the worst effects.
It's a very difficult one to get right imho, without being discriminatory to some of us, who through no fault, or real choice of their own, could find ourselves "shunned" from taking part in events, like myself for instance, who, if this happens could end up missing out on possibly a season, possibly more, of the club I have followed for best part of 50 years! I've heard the cost of having a private test can cost anything up to £200, imagine the cost to myself to attention each home match!! Could never afford it, so would have to stop attending games :sad7: until all this dies down to the extent they allow everyone to "join society again". :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62

Postby ThomasC » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:39 am

Sam ReaN wrote:
I fully back these passports if it means we all get back safely in stadiums/sport arenas. The more people allowed inside a stadium who have been vaccinated the more safer we can all be.

Hi Sam, the opinion you hold will be shared by the majority. I still hold the opinion it's a person's right to make good and bad choices.

All the best :ayatollah: :bluebird:
ThomasC

Postby Igovernor » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:32 am

bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Some great points Igovernor, apart from the last sentence, as I fall into that category, as do many, many thousands of others by default ;) and seeing as we cannot have the vaccine, should we be allowed to "mingle" ?
And there is also the fact of still being able to catch ; spread it, even after vaccination, I get your point regards this race nonsense being brought into it, as that's bollox :thumbright: I'm not going to judge people over what is their choice. after all, if they don't want the vaccine, then surely it is they who are at highest risk of hospitalisation if they get it? Not those that have protection from the worst effects.
It's a very difficult one to get right imho, without being discriminatory to some of us, who through no fault, or real choice of their own, could find ourselves "shunned" from taking part in events, like myself for instance, who, if this happens could end up missing out on possibly a season, possibly more, of the club I have followed for best part of 50 years! I've heard the cost of having a private test can cost anything up to £200, imagine the cost to myself to attention each home match!! Could never afford it, so would have to stop attending games :sad7: until all this dies down to the extent they allow everyone to "join society again". :old: :bluebird:

Hi Paul my understanding is that the government has said that Covid 19 tests would be free to all I may be mistaken though.
There will be a real problem with implementing these tests. I personally think that these tests will only be a temporary thing until such a time that there is herd immunity, that hopefully will come at some time fingers crossed :thumbup:
Igovernor

Postby llan bluebird » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:59 am

I am definitely not an anti vaxxer, but i make the choice based upon my (or families) needs.

I have always had a problem with government mandates for anything. Conscription, death penalties, forced vaccinations are all wrong IMO. i understand this vaccination is not mandatory, but vaccines passports are a dangerous step in the wrong direction. Even if those who abstain for medical reasons get a "pass" this discriminates against those without.

I know I have to get vaccines to enter certain countries, but that is their right and i have the right to chose countries that doesn't need those vaccines.

We have just looked at the data for AZ and come to the conclusion that the miniscule risk of clotting is still not worth it against the benefit for the under 30's........So why do they need it then. We are asking this group to be injecting with a substance not for them but for the greater good of their local society. Surely we shouldn't pemalise them for not making the "right" choice.

If the EU mandates vaccine passports for travel from the UK then its each under 30's choice to comply or not travel.

I had my AZ on Wednesday, but I am 53 and over weight.
llan bluebird

Postby Bakedalasker » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:38 am

I do question the authorities mentally over all of this.

The only reason they are considering allowing fans back in is because of money. They are bowing down to that. Keep in mind guys you can still catch Covid even if you are vaccinated. The only difference having the jab to not having it is that you will not get seriously ill with it so therefore reducing your chances of dying.

It seems to me now that the chances of dying from the virus has been reduced they are now looking at going for the money. Forget the fact the virus could thrive once we are allowed back in the stadium the authorities will get their money. Forget the fact you could still become very ill catching this think even if you are vaccinated that's alright for that's alright for the authorities because they will have your money. Money, money, money over morality.
Bakedalasker

Postby Bakedalasker » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:39 am

llan bluebird wrote:I had my AZ on Wednesday, but I am 53 and over weight.

Why is it being overweight an issue regarding the vac?
Bakedalasker

Postby skidemin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:32 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:I had my AZ on Wednesday, but I am 53 and over weight.

Why is it being overweight an issue regarding the vac?

i think its more to do with being over weight is an issue if you get covid....
skidemin

Postby maccydee » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:36 am

Bakedalasker wrote:I do question the authorities mentally over all of this.

The only reason they are considering allowing fans back in is because of money. They are bowing down to that. Keep in mind guys you can still catch Covid even if you are vaccinated. The only difference having the jab to not having it is that you will not get seriously ill with it so therefore reducing your chances of dying.

It seems to me now that the chances of dying from the virus has been reduced they are now looking at going for the money. Forget the fact the virus could thrive once we are allowed back in the stadium the authorities will get their money. Forget the fact you could still become very ill catching this think even if you are vaccinated that's alright for that's alright for the authorities because they will have your money. Money, money, money over morality.

But life has to go back to normal sometime.

Vaccines are the best way for that to happen.

Plus it’s not been proven yet if vaccines stop transmission. I believe in Israel they are quite confident it does but they don’t have the data to prove it here yet. Ergo they are erring on the side of caution which they have to do.
maccydee

Postby skidemin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:46 am

there is no level of safety that will satisfy some... i blame the government for brainwashing people to this extent.... it really is criminal....
skidemin

Postby maccydee » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:02 pm

skidemin wrote:

there is no level of safety that will satisfy some... i blame the government for brainwashing people to this extent.... it really is criminal....

America are using vaccines to go back to normal.
maccydee

Postby skidemin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:24 pm

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:

America are using vaccines to go back to normal.

well isnt that the whole point
skidemin

Postby bluesince62 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:05 pm

Igovernor wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Hi Paul my understanding is that the government has said that Covid 19 tests would be free to all I may be mistaken though.
There will be a real problem with implementing these tests. I personally think that these tests will only be a temporary thing until such a time that there is herd immunity, that hopefully will come at some time fingers crossed :thumbup:

Any links to that roger? Would be prepared to do it if free as often as they want! Even at a small cost I'd be prepared to stump up to watch the city again!in the meantime I have to go with the flow so to speak, and see what lies ahead.
I would imagine it would(test) have to be done 3 days in advance, as per some countries who are prepared to accept tourists who have negative test 3 days prior to flying,if like myself prople cannot have the jab,such as turkey and a few others.its just fingers crossed herd immunity does begin to take effect,then again I could be immune and not realise it! Perhaps an anti body test is needed? One for my gp to consider(not straw grasping am I lol.)
bluesince62

Postby maccydee » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:13 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Any links to that roger? Would be prepared to do it if free as often as they want! Even at a small cost I'd be prepared to stump up to watch the city again!in the meantime I have to go with the flow so to speak, and see what lies ahead.
I would imagine it would(test) have to be done 3 days in advance, as per some countries who are prepared to accept tourists who have negative test 3 days prior to flying,if like myself prople cannot have the jab,such as turkey and a few others.its just fingers crossed herd immunity does begin to take effect,then again I could be immune and not realise it! Perhaps an anti body test is needed? One for my gp to consider(not straw grasping am I lol.)

They will be sending out lateral flow tests. They are the ones people put up their nose and towards tonsils. Not easy to do so people might not get accurate results but it’s more to catch asymptomatic people really.

Results in less than half hour.
maccydee

Postby bluesince62 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:21 pm

maccydee wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

They will be sending out lateral flow tests. They are the ones people put up their nose and towards tonsils. Not easy to do so people might not get accurate results but it’s more to catch asymptomatic people really.

Thats good news in a way,its a go in the right direection I guess,cheers for info.
bluesince62

Postby maccydee » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:32 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Thats good news in a way,its a go in the right direection I guess,cheers for info.

No worries. There’s loads of places online to see how to do the test but I have a login for the NHS site if you ever need it. I did the course online prior to testing at local school. Had to do the tests every day before helping.

It’s the way out of this apparently alongside vaccines so we had better get used to it.
maccydee

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:06 pm

Me just under 6 months ago wrote:Its just for 15 days, to flatten the curve...

Its just another month until we get to summer...

Its just a mask in on public transport no drama

Ita just wearing a mask in supermarkets not that big a deal...

You only have to wear your mask in the pub when you get up to go to the toilet, your fine at the table...

Its only a local lockdown this time...

Its only another six months lockdown, we'll be good after that...

Its only a mandatory vaccine, just like the flu jab...

Its only if you havent had the vaccine that you wont be allowed to travel...

Its only if you havent had your latest vaccine update added to your digital passport that you won't be able to work/claim benefits/marry/breed...

We are pavlov's dogs slowly being re-educated one small step at a time.

I reckon we're somewhere in between the last two points at the minute.

At the time I posted this, Boris was making fairly loud announcements that we would never have a vaccine passport, and it was un-British to have a papers based society - because we've seen how that pans out and it is never good.

Now just under six-months on and we're so conditioned that we're willing to forget about all these troublesome things like civil liberty and inalienable rights, as long as we can get back to 'normal'. The government doesn't have to push these restrictions of liberty onto us, we're practically begging them to implement them. One poll had 62% of people saying they would be happy to use a vaccine passport to go to the pub.

Like I say anything to get back to normal, that we all desperately want to get back to, me included.

However, before we all sign up for mass tracking so we can watch football, have a beer and all other good things, just take one moment to ask what was it that really took us away from that normal in the first place?

Was it a virus that at its peak had a mortality rate of around 0.5% even when factoring in the most vulnerable - whose average age of death from Covid was actually higher than the average life expectancy of the population? A virus whose total global death percentage is almost directly the same as the Hong Kong Flu when factoring in total population?

Was it really this virus, which is evidently real and dangerous, and just to say, my heart goes out to anyone who has lost loved ones to it, but was it really this virus that stole 'normal' away?

Or was it the draconian over-reaction of the government to 'protect' us all by locking us all up? A move that contradicted the World Health Organisation's own recommendations on only implementing lockdown on a short-term, localised basis.

Should we blame the virus for our loss of normal or our government that made a calculation based on highly questionable data modelling (by a man that spectacularly got foot and mouth, mad-cow disease, bird-flu and swine flu projections massively wrong) to decide that the risk from this disease with a 99.7% survival rate for anyone under 75 was so great that life-saving cancer treatments were to be put on hold, mass deterioration of mental health on a society-wide basis should be brushed under the carpet and the most obscene transfer of wealth from small businesses to a handful of billionaires was all well and good?

Should we trust a government that promised there would be no more national lockdowns to then move the goalposts and put everyone in the country under localised lockdown? A government that consistently stated vaccine passports wouldn't be introduced while simultaneously working with digital vaccine passport providers on implementation behind the scenes?

Fairplay, the media bombardment and lockdowns did their job well and I understand why so many are desperate to return to normal, but this is no the way to get back there. This just takes us further away.

Finally, just to clarify my position before I get accused of being a granny killer or a conspiracy nut or both and worse...

As I've said many times over, those who wish to get the vaccine should be entitled to do so. I'm not even anti-vaccine, my kids have had MMR and I have had many vaccines in my life for travel.

I've been consistent and open that I remain dubious about the speed at which these vaccines have been produced and particularly the indemnity given to the vaccine providers as well as the hyperbole that has been driven around the virus and the many subtle sleights of hand that have been used to magnify its dangers.

I've always said I'll wait quietly at the back of the queue and see how things play out, and seeing as I've yet to be offered a vaccine (being the young spritely chicken that I am I'm not quite on the list currently) it's not something I have had to give personal consideration to as yet.

But that has always been my point, choosing to be vaccinated should be down to personal choice.

However, mandatory vaccination is a huge abuse of power and raises massive ethical questions. The coercion of being excluded from aspects of society is just a media-friendly approach to mandatory vaccination and this feels like just one more step down that road that started over a year ago with 15 days to flatten the curve.

I'm sure someone will come back with it's your choice if you want to go to the football then you'll have to get the vaccine. That's missing the point though - the thing is the goalposts keep moving and it is death by a thousand cuts.

Once people get used to a vaccine passport for everyday things like going to the football it is a lot easier to move the posts again - vaccine passport required to go to the shops, for your kids to be in school, to claim benefits.

I think this is a very dangerous path to go down is all I'm trying to say (in a long-winded way - sorry for long post)
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby bluesince62 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:10 am

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
Me just under 6 months ago wrote:Its just for 15 days, to flatten the curve...

Its just another month until we get to summer...

Its just a mask in on public transport no drama

Ita just wearing a mask in supermarkets not that big a deal...

You only have to wear your mask in the pub when you get up to go to the toilet, your fine at the table...

Its only a local lockdown this time...

Its only another six months lockdown, we'll be good after that...

Its only a mandatory vaccine, just like the flu jab...

Its only if you havent had the vaccine that you wont be allowed to travel...

Its only if you havent had your latest vaccine update added to your digital passport that you won't be able to work/claim benefits/marry/breed...

We are pavlov's dogs slowly being re-educated one small step at a time.

I reckon we're somewhere in between the last two points at the minute.

At the time I posted this, Boris was making fairly loud announcements that we would never have a vaccine passport, and it was un-British to have a papers based society - because we've seen how that pans out and it is never good.

Now just under six-months on and we're so conditioned that we're willing to forget about all these troublesome things like civil liberty and inalienable rights, as long as we can get back to 'normal'. The government doesn't have to push these restrictions of liberty onto us, we're practically begging them to implement them. One poll had 62% of people saying they would be happy to use a vaccine passport to go to the pub.

Like I say anything to get back to normal, that we all desperately want to get back to, me included.

However, before we all sign up for mass tracking so we can watch football, have a beer and all other good things, just take one moment to ask what was it that really took us away from that normal in the first place?

Was it a virus that at its peak had a mortality rate of around 0.5% even when factoring in the most vulnerable - whose average age of death from Covid was actually higher than the average life expectancy of the population? A virus whose total global death percentage is almost directly the same as the Hong Kong Flu when factoring in total population?

Was it really this virus, which is evidently real and dangerous, and just to say, my heart goes out to anyone who has lost loved ones to it, but was it really this virus that stole 'normal' away?

Or was it the draconian over-reaction of the government to 'protect' us all by locking us all up? A move that contradicted the World Health Organisation's own recommendations on only implementing lockdown on a short-term, localised basis.

Should we blame the virus for our loss of normal or our government that made a calculation based on highly questionable data modelling (by a man that spectacularly got foot and mouth, mad-cow disease, bird-flu and swine flu projections massively wrong) to decide that the risk from this disease with a 99.7% survival rate for anyone under 75 was so great that life-saving cancer treatments were to be put on hold, mass deterioration of mental health on a society-wide basis should be brushed under the carpet and the most obscene transfer of wealth from small businesses to a handful of billionaires was all well and good?

Should we trust a government that promised there would be no more national lockdowns to then move the goalposts and put everyone in the country under localised lockdown? A government that consistently stated vaccine passports wouldn't be introduced while simultaneously working with digital vaccine passport providers on implementation behind the scenes?

Fairplay, the media bombardment and lockdowns did their job well and I understand why so many are desperate to return to normal, but this is no the way to get back there. This just takes us further away.

Finally, just to clarify my position before I get accused of being a granny killer or a conspiracy nut or both and worse...

As I've said many times over, those who wish to get the vaccine should be entitled to do so. I'm not even anti-vaccine, my kids have had MMR and I have had many vaccines in my life for travel.

I've been consistent and open that I remain dubious about the speed at which these vaccines have been produced and particularly the indemnity given to the vaccine providers as well as the hyperbole that has been driven around the virus and the many subtle sleights of hand that have been used to magnify its dangers.

I've always said I'll wait quietly at the back of the queue and see how things play out, and seeing as I've yet to be offered a vaccine (being the young spritely chicken that I am I'm not quite on the list currently) it's not something I have had to give personal consideration to as yet.

But that has always been my point, choosing to be vaccinated should be down to personal choice.

However, mandatory vaccination is a huge abuse of power and raises massive ethical questions. The coercion of being excluded from aspects of society is just a media-friendly approach to mandatory vaccination and this feels like just one more step down that road that started over a year ago with 15 days to flatten the curve.

I'm sure someone will come back with it's your choice if you want to go to the football then you'll have to get the vaccine. That's missing the point though - the thing is the goalposts keep moving and it is death by a thousand cuts.

Once people get used to a vaccine passport for everyday things like going to the football it is a lot easier to move the posts again - vaccine passport required to go to the shops, for your kids to be in school, to claim benefits.

I think this is a very dangerous path to go down is all I'm trying to say (in a long-winded way - sorry for long post)

As per usual ealing, a very informative post,I cant have it, but that's not my choice,and tbf im not sure if id risk one,even more so after reading that post!the vaccine is a chouce for the individual at present, and its wrong to just judge people for their choices in life in my eyes.

I dont want to be excluded, but may well find myself being in that posistion! But the media/goverment have the people begging for the "jab pass" and as yoh say, its creeping towards the mandatory route,and that's scary regards a persons rights.
Great post though mate.
bluesince62

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:29 am

bluesince62 wrote:
As per usual ealing, a very informative post,I cant have it, but that's not my choice,and tbf im not sure if id risk one,even more so after reading that post!the vaccine is a chouce for the individual at present, and its wrong to just judge people for their choices in life in my eyes.

I dont want to be excluded, but may well find myself being in that posistion! But the media/goverment have the people begging for the "jab pass" and as yoh say, its creeping towards the mandatory route,and that's scary regards a persons rights.
Great post though mate.

Thanks Mate. :thumbup:

In a strange way I kind of envy you for not being able to take the vaccine as the choice is out of your hands.

There is, as I've said a few times a huge amount of alarm bells ringing in my head about taking the vaccine - ironically those alarms probably wouldn't be there if it wasn't being pushed so forcefully. I'm not an anti-vaxxer at large, but something just doesn't feel right about this whole saga.

However, I'm honest enough to admit that when the time comes and I get the text or letter or however they contact you, and I am faced with not being able to take my little boy to see the football or to take my family out for a meal on a special occasion etc, I honestly don't know if I will be strong enough to stay true to my beliefs and trust that gut instinct or if I'll just meekly swallow my pride to get access to the status quo.

The very fact that this is a choice I'm being confronted with makes me sick to my stomach if I'm honest, and it makes no logical sense. I've gone through the arguments to try and work it out, but it simply boils down to one question - what risk does a non-vaccinated person pose to a vaccinated one and the numbers on that are around 0.0005%. That is not a valid argument for such coercion.

Equally, the protect the NHS argument, which I've grown to become sceptical of as it feels increasingly stage-managed, has nevertheless, also been blunted as the claim is that the vaccine may not stop you from recatching it but will reduce the symptoms - i.e. less hospitalisation.

Given the current polling indications, the majority will have the vaccine, so the numbers of those who don't when multiplied by the declining virulence of the virus will not be anywhere near sufficient enough to cripple our woefully broken NHS any more than it already is. The fact that the NHS is broken is not a result of COVID, but rather decades of mismanagement by governments on both sides of the aisle.

So it just seems we are prepared to give up an awful lot of liberty but without any concrete argument as to why other than hypotheticals (there might be another strain, that might evade the vaccine and might have a higher mortality rate) and once we take this step I don't think it'll be easy to walk it back.

Maybe it's just the contrarian in me that doesn't like being told what to do, maybe it's my tin-foil hat making me see problems where there are none - hopefully, I'm completely wrong about all of this and in a year's time it'll all be forgotten.

Fingers crossed and I'll be happy to wear a dunces hat and sit in the naughty corner for a year if that's the case!

:ayatollah:
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby piledriver64 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:48 am

I have no problem with people choosing not to have the jab, that is them exercising free choice.

However, if that then means that they are precluded from some activities, e.g. pubs, football games, then so be it.

It is different for those who aren't offered it for medical reasons and testing will be the way for them.
piledriver64

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:54 am

piledriver64 wrote:I have no problem with people choosing not to have the jab, that is them exercising free choice.

However, if that then means that they are precluded from some activities, e.g. pubs, football games, then so be it.

It is different for those who aren't offered it for medical reasons and testing will be the way for them.

Is there a limit to what activities they can be kept away from - where does the line get drawn? How about going to the supermarket? Attending school plays? Attending university?

Equally, are you comfortable with private companies being privy to all your medical data - where would you draw the line for that? Insurance companies refusing to give you policies if you have family history of certain conditions for example?

Not trying to be confrontational btw, genuinely curious to know where people will draw the line and why they think that line might not keep moving once it is put in place.
ealing_ayatollah

Postby Igovernor » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:39 am

He is saying that ethnic groups will be discriminated against if the do not have the vaccine, he is bringing race into it when anyone will be discriminated against if they don't have the vaccine, he brought the ethnic groups part into his statement when what he should have said was, anyone would be diasadvantaged by not having the vaccine, so maybe I should have said ALL groups in my post, he is using the race card when it should apply to all unvacinated groups. I am on about anyone who does not have the vacccine because they do not want too, not about those who have medical conditions that they cannot have it, but there lies the rub, do people who are not vaccinaated be allowed to mingle and possibly pass on Covid, or catch it themselves![/quote]

It's a very difficult one to get right imho, without being discriminatory to some of us, who through no fault, or real choice of their own, could find ourselves "shunned" from taking part in events, like myself for instance, who, if this happens could end up missing out on possibly a season, possibly more, of the club I have followed for best part of 50 years! I've heard the cost of having a private test can cost anything up to £200, imagine the cost to myself to attention each home match!! Could never afford it, so would have to stop attending games :sad7: until all this dies down to the extent they allow everyone to "join society again". :old: :bluebird:[/quote]

There will be a real problem with implementing these tests. I personally think that these tests will only be a temporary thing until such a time that there is herd immunity, that hopefully will come at some time fingers crossed :thumbup:[/quote]

I would imagine it would(test) have to be done 3 days in advance, as per some countries who are prepared to accept tourists who have negative test 3 days prior to flying,if like myself prople cannot have the jab,such as turkey and a few others.its just fingers crossed herd immunity does begin to take effect,then again I could be immune and not realise it! Perhaps an anti body test is needed? One for my gp to consider(not straw grasping am I lol.)[/quote]

This is what I found and is available at the moment there are pilot schemes that the government are trialing. I have edited the post but the full text is in the link. These things are changing all the time so we will have to wait and see.

https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test

You can use this service if:
you have no symptons

you’ve been in contact with someone who’s tested positive
you’ve been asked to get a test by a local council or contact tracers
a GP or other health professional has asked you to get a test
you’re taking part in a government pilot project
you’ve been asked to get a test to confirm a positive result
you’ve received an unclear result and were told to get a second test
you need to get a test for someone you live with who has symptoms
you’re in the National Tactical Response Group

Getting a rapid lateral flow test if you have no symptoms
England

[color=#FF0000]If you have no symptoms and are not eligible for a PCR test for other reasons, you can:

ask at your workplace, university or other place of study
order rapid lateral flow tests to be sent to your home
find a site near you to get tested at
find a pharmacy where you can collect rapid lateral flow tests
find a test site where you can collect rapid lateral flow tests

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
Igovernor

Postby maccydee » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:58 am

Hopefully we have herd immunity soon and this goes and then we will look back on this with horror but will be normal.
maccydee

Next

Return to General Chat