MICK McCARTHY: “ WE ARE SICK “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:20 pm

Mick McCarthy has revealed his Cardiff City players are feeling "sick" after conceding an injury-time equaliser to Blackburn Rovers, which has all but ended their hunt for the last play-off spot.

The manager admitted that he had few grumbles about the result in the end, given Rovers hit the woodwork three times before Adam Armstrong netted a last-gasp equaliser, but was furious at conceding a goal so late on.

The Bluebirds boss, who looked as though the wind had been taken completely out of his sails, said the draw felt more like defeat.

Asked if his players felt the same in the changing room,

MICK McCARTHY:

McCarthy replied: "Absolutely. They were very disappointed at the lateness of both goals (in each half), but certainly the equaliser in the second half.

"We should be able to hang on to that.

"Everyone is feeling the same way, they're all sick about it."

Cardiff have five games left to play and are nine points behind Bournemouth, who also have a game in hand over the Bluebirds.

City are in eighth place but, all things considered, Saturday's result appears to have consigned them to second-tier football next season.

And McCarthy said he is of course disappointed with gaining just one point from the last three games, which has put paid to any hope of edging into those top-six spots.

"I've not done the last three results on purpose to quell any talk of the play-offs, you can rest assured that's not the case," he added.

"I don't know the other results, but I thought even before today, eight points adrift with six games to go was an unlikely sequence of events.

"Whether we won all our games or not, the other teams are capable of winning theirs. All we can do is look after our games and performances and results.

"Unfortunately we haven't."

It means that Cardiff can perhaps now turn their attentions to next season and gives McCarthy the opportunity to field a few youngsters or players who have not had much of a look-in in recent weeks.

And, judging by the manager's comments, that looks to be the plan of attack moving forward over the next five games, with one eye squarely on the summer transfer window.

"I've been here nearly two months so you're always evaluating it and calculating what you need, what's not going to be here," he said.

"We've got players on loan who are very unlikely they'll be coming back and we will be losing a bit of quality there.

"The next five games, we want to win them and get points, but we will have an eye on what's been happening next season."
Attachments
26E3A7A5-3994-4AD4-B2A3-4DCD82337F02.jpeg
26E3A7A5-3994-4AD4-B2A3-4DCD82337F02.jpeg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: MICK McCARTHY: “ WE ARE SICK “

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:21 pm

Updated:
Attachments
06203DFE-5688-4DF5-9451-CBC87DBEBFE4.jpeg
06203DFE-5688-4DF5-9451-CBC87DBEBFE4.jpeg (343.92 KiB) Viewed 5216 times

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:30 pm

My View:

2-2, can't say it wasn't deserved. Blackburn hit the woodwork three times. It's a gut blow, but there can't be too many complaints from a Bluebirds perspective, I don't think.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Bakedalasker » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:35 pm

A serious clear out is needed. We all can see that now.

Personally I cant see much coming. The youngsters will be given their chance. Mid table for me will be a good season next campaign. A mid table club with a young squad is ideal criteria to sell.
Bakedalasker

Postby philrogers » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:40 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:A serious clear out is needed. We all can see that now.

Personally I cant see much coming. The youngsters will be given their chance. Mid table for me will be a good season next campaign. A mid table club with a young squad is ideal criteria to sell.

The price would be much lower if we are a mid-table team with a young squad. A better course of action would be some investment in players in the summer. Our current squad lacks quality and cover in too many positions. Just promoting youngsters is not going to fix that.
philrogers

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:42 pm

We played a lot better and draw fair result but he didn't address the issue of leaving same 11 on pitch at time they were storming forward before and after our 2nd goal! Poor game management considering was a must win game.. but never mind let's see what next season brings.. not optimistic but live in hope as usual. :bluescarf:
pembroke allan

Postby skidemin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:07 pm

philrogers wrote:

The price would be much lower if we are a mid-table team with a young squad. A better course of action would be some investment in players in the summer. Our current squad lacks quality and cover in too many positions. Just promoting youngsters is not going to fix that.

there seems to be this notion that the under 23s are better than our 1st team so the more the merrier..
skidemin

Postby Escott1927 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:54 am

skidemin wrote:
philrogers wrote:

there seems to be this notion that the under 23s are better than our 1st team so the more the merrier..

Nobody thinks the u23s are better than our first team. But there are players in the u23s who would offer something completely different to what we have now. There is a complete lack of pace and creativity in the first team whereas there are 2 or 3 standout players from the u23s who have both attributes. We will never know if they are good enough if they don't play. Weve got nothing to play for now so might as well see how a few of the better ones do. Starting will cowil.
Escott1927

Postby skidemin » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:04 am

Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
philrogers wrote:

Nobody thinks the u23s are better than our first team. But there are players in the u23s who would offer something completely different to what we have now. There is a complete lack of pace and creativity in the first team whereas there are 2 or 3 standout players from the u23s who have both attributes. We will never know if they are good enough if they don't play. Weve got nothing to play for now so might as well see how a few of the better ones do. Starting will cowil.

nobody thinks and then a paragraph about how you do think that... :thumbup:
skidemin

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:38 am

philrogers wrote:

I think if you invest in players the trouble you may have is any new manager coming in (which may well happen with new owners) will want his own players and we will once again have a glut of players doing very little but still picking up a good wage.
I agree that a squad full of youth with the wage bill driven down will be a far better proposition for any potential suitors.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Escott1927 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:47 am

skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
philrogers wrote:

Where have I said anyone us better? I actually stated they might not be good enough.

Does our squad lack pace and creativity?

Are there players in the u23s who would be classed as creative players who happen to be quick?
Escott1927

Postby skidemin » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:20 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
philrogers wrote:

Where have I said anyone us better? I actually stated they might not be good enough.

Are there players in the u23s who would be classed as creative players who happen to be quick?

yes there are players who look quick and creative at under 23 level. as there always are in all under 23 teams , infact at all levels and have been for ever and a day....the vast majority tend to not make it. which was very obviously my point yet i must have read a dozen names on here this last few weeks including 2 described as wonderkids. extremely unlikely all these boys are even close........as for nothing to play for... yeah i bet... Mick picks kids , a couple of heavy defeats later and everyone that sharpened a knife when he got appointed will be out sticking it in him..
skidemin

Postby Escott1927 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:22 pm

skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
philrogers wrote:

yes there are players who look quick and creative at under 23 level. as there always are in all under 23 teams , infact at all levels and have been for ever and a day....the vast majority tend to not make it. which was very obviously my point yet i must have read a dozen names on here this last few weeks including 2 described as wonderkids. extremely unlikely all these boys are even close........as for nothing to play for... yeah i bet... Mick picks kids , a couple of heavy defeats later and everyone that sharpened a knife when he got appointed will be out sticking it in him..

Says the person who jumped all over Harris at the earliest and every opportunity :lol:

1000s of players do make it though. Where do you think every player at every club started? As you ignored my other questions, I'll assume you agree with them as well.

You don't know how ready they are as they havnt played. There is nothing to play so now is the perfect time to see without any risk. Playing colwill (a creative attacking midfielder) in a forward position similar to what bacuna (clearly not an attacking midfielder) has played recently isn't going to be the reason for a heavy defeat. And you never know, we might actually get to see a bit of football in the final third. How nice would that be!? f he doesn't play well, mick can always use one of his 5 subs that he doesn't like using.
Escott1927

Postby Sam ReaN » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:19 pm

Why did he play Smithies....that is why we drew because the goals were his fault.
Feel for him but after that game not so much. Anyone know why Phillips never played?
Also On The Sam ReaN YouTube Channel
Cardiff City Highlights On Bits From The Action
The ReaN Show Series 1-6
CardiffFanTV / On Facebook & YouTube
Vlogging Adventures
Video Games
SUBSCRIBE IN 2024
Sam ReaN

Postby llan bluebird » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:22 pm

Sam ReaN wrote:Why did he play Smithies....that is why we drew because the goals were his fault.
Feel for him but after that game not so much. Anyone know why Phillips never played?

Cos we lost 5-0 last game ?
llan bluebird

Postby llan bluebird » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:37 pm

If Colwell is up to a season in the championship next season then we have a potential gem. My guess we'll see if he needs to go to L1,L2 or the conference to gain game time.

There is no point over facing him, but we'll get a glimpse if its far too early to even thinking about loaning him and at what level if we can get a comparator and we get that by playing him.

We are wrecking these kids by not playing them. Mark Harris is 22, do we even know his best position?, forget if he is championship level.
llan bluebird

Postby moonboots » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:03 pm

skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
philrogers wrote:

I read it differently. He stated that nobody thinks the U23s are better than the first team. He went on to say there are 2 or 3 in the U23s who offer something different...not the whole team.
There's definitely a case to be made for players like Colwill, Patten, Kieron Evans and Isaac Davies. Nothing on the remaining games so give the lads a chance to gain some valuable experience. Not altogether in one game from the start, but some significant game time for 2 or 3 in each game. :thumbup:
moonboots

Postby Escott1927 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:35 pm

moonboots wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
philrogers wrote:

I read it differently. He stated that nobody thinks the U23s are better than the first team. He went on to say there are 2 or 3 in the U23s who offer something different...not the whole team.
There's definitely a case to be made for players like Colwill, Patten, Kieron Evans and Isaac Davies. Nothing on the remaining games so give the lads a chance to gain some valuable experience. Not altogether in one game from the start, but some significant game time for 2 or 3 in each game. :thumbup:

Exactly what i was saying. Give a few of the promising ones a few games or at least some decent minutes to see how they do. Even if its just one at a time. Williams, hoilet, wilson and ojo might not all be here next season so no benefit to us playing them with nothing to play for.
Escott1927

Return to General Chat