Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

My View: Our Team should be / Mick McCarthy / Vincent Tan

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 am

MY VIEW:

If Bournemouth win tonight their game in hand vs Huddersfield they will be 12 points ahead of us...... with a much better goal difference. This means that we will have to win all our remaining 5 games and they have to lose all their remaining 5 games . Theoretically possible but practically impossible.

Personally , I hope that they do win because any lingering doubts - that we may still make the play-offs will be taken out of the equation. MM will then logically be highly encouraged to concentrate purely on next season .

I believe that next year’s team should be built around Morrison , Moore , NG and Bennett assuming that Tan can keep them ...... so these must play (Bennett injured) to lead the rest.

The others whether they are untried players or players who have not played enough (Williams , Sang , Harris , Brown ) as well as players who should show that they are good enough ( Waters ,Colwill , Bodenham , Keenan , Evans) all those should be given maximum possible time.

Only by doing this can MM/Tan decide who they want to buy in the summer window. There is no point in playing our loan players and the others are known very well to MM.

Naturally we may drop points but the gain in doing so far outweighs this acceptable loss.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: My View: Our Team should be / Mick McCarthy / Vincent Ta

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:59 am

Friday April 16th Live SKY 6pm Reading v Cardiff City

Tues 6pm Live SKY Apr 20 Brentford v Cardiff City

Sat Apr 24 CARDIFF CITY v WYCOMBE WANDERERS

Sat May 01 Birmingham City v Cardiff City

Sat May 08 CARDIFF CITY v ROTHERHAM UNITED
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:11 am

100% agree with you on this Annis. It's about planning for next year now and what better chance to see if some of those on the fringe are good enough than now.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:17 am

ealing_ayatollah wrote:100% agree with you on this Annis. It's about planning for next year now and what better chance to see if some of those on the fringe are good enough than now.

Kris,

Yes now is the time to play all Our best up and coming youngsters and see how good they really are :thumbright: :bluebird:

Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:44 am

Certainly a time to look at the future and not cling on to (what is for this season) a lost dream

No issue with sending back (or not playing) loan players who are not coming back for next season; although I wish some of them, Wilson in particular, were but that looks highly unlikely with an apparently small financial cloth to cut

Use the 'old heads' who re saying to blend and blood the young tars of the future for the remainder of this season and we may just steal a march during the next transfer window and the start if next season

Too much catching up to do after Neil Harris' abysmal start but we should be proud that we got anywhere near contending for the top 6 after Mick McCarthy took the reins. It may have been a step to far with a tired squad but the effort of all involved cannot be faulted and at least the current management can now plan ahead..

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:33 am

Forever Blue wrote:MY VIEW:

If Bournemouth win tonight their game in hand vs Huddersfield they will be 12 points ahead of us...... with a much better goal difference. This means that we will have to win all our remaining 5 games and they have to lose all their remaining 5 games . Theoretically possible but practically impossible.

Personally , I hope that they do win because any lingering doubts - that we may still make the play-offs will be taken out of the equation. MM will then logically be highly encouraged to concentrate purely on next season .

I believe that next year’s team should be built around Morrison , Moore , NG and Bennett assuming that Tan can keep them ...... so these must play (Bennett injured) to lead the rest.

The others whether they are untried players or players who have not played enough (Williams , Sang , Harris , Brown ) as well as players who should show that they are good enough ( Waters ,Colwill , Bodenham , Keenan , Evans) all those should be given maximum possible time.

Only by doing this can MM/Tan decide who they want to buy in the summer window. There is no point in playing our loan players and the others are known very well to MM.

Naturally we may drop points but the gain in doing so far outweighs this acceptable loss.

I agree Annis, get a few more involved. Even if its for the last 30mins of the remaining games. Good opportunity to see if any are ready for the championship or if they need a loan next season.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:52 am

Agree that we should give some a try, but need to do it in a balanced way within the "core" of our current squad so that they don't get overly exposed by having too many at once potentially resulting in a loss of confidence. Having experienced heads around them could allow them to show what they could be capable of as Tom Sang has done.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:04 pm

Scoularite wrote:Agree that we should give some a try, but need to do it in a balanced way within the "core" of our current squad so that they don't get overly exposed by having too many at once potentially resulting in a loss of confidence. Having experienced heads around them could allow them to show what they could be capable of as Tom Sang has done.

I agree with this. If this happens we, as fans need to be patient and look at the performances of individuals rather than getting points.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:24 pm

Sorry but disagree slightly yes I’m all for changing things around experimenting for next season but while it’s still mathematically possible keep going can you imagine if Bournemouth suddenly slumped in form lose a couple highly unlikely but possible

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:31 pm

Reply Twitter:

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:36 pm

Pembroke bluebird wrote:Sorry but disagree slightly yes I’m all for changing things around experimenting for next season but while it’s still mathematically possible keep going can you imagine if Bournemouth suddenly slumped in form lose a couple highly unlikely but possible

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:36 pm

Pembroke bluebird wrote:Sorry but disagree slightly yes I’m all for changing things around experimenting for next season but while it’s still mathematically possible keep going can you imagine if Bournemouth suddenly slumped in form lose a couple highly unlikely but possible

If Bournemouth win tonight they go 12 points clear with 15 points to play for. It would require a pretty epic implosion by Bournemouth and a brilliant run from us to catch them. Even then we would require reading to go on a pretty bad run as they are 7 points clear of us. Not going to happen unfortunately.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:37 pm

Sven wrote:Certainly a time to look at the future and not cling on to (what is for this season) a lost dream

No issue with sending back (or not playing) loan players who are not coming back for next season; although I wish some of them, Wilson in particular, were but that looks highly unlikely with an apparently small financial cloth to cut

Use the 'old heads' who re saying to blend and blood the young tars of the future for the remainder of this season and we may just steal a march during the next transfer window and the start if next season

Too much catching up to do after Neil Harris' abysmal start but we should be proud that we got anywhere near contending for the top 6 after Mick McCarthy took the reins. It may have been a step to far with a tired squad but the effort of all involved cannot be faulted and at least the current management can now plan ahead..

Chris,

We keep hearing how good they are suppose to be then with no pressure on them for the last 5 games , we can finally see if we mix them with some of our best players :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:38 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:MY VIEW:

I agree Annis, get a few more involved. Even if its for the last 30mins of the remaining games. Good opportunity to see if any are ready for the championship or if they need a loan next season.

Lee,

For me it’s a no brained , let’s finally see what our 18,19 & 20 year olds are capable of :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:39 pm

Scoularite wrote:Agree that we should give some a try, but need to do it in a balanced way within the "core" of our current squad so that they don't get overly exposed by having too many at once potentially resulting in a loss of confidence. Having experienced heads around them could allow them to show what they could be capable of as Tom Sang has done.

Of course, 100% :thumbright: :bluebird:

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:01 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:Certainly a time to look at the future and not cling on to (what is for this season) a lost dream

Chris,

We keep hearing how good they are suppose to be then with no pressure on them for the last 5 games , we can finally see if we mix them with some of our best players :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Annis, it is no longer a points-orientated season and (for me at leadt) it doesn't matter where we finish now it's outside the top 6

We'll still be in the Championsip next season regardless...

Many of our supporters have had mixed thoughts on 'blooding' the youngsters when we were still in with a realistic opportunity to be in the promotion mix

It's one of those 'we want to see youngsters coming through' versus 'we want to gather points' conundrums that pulls us in polar opposites all at the same time

Mathematically or otherwise, it's not going to happen now, so we have nothing to fear

Bring them on... :clap: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :D

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:51 pm

Reply Twitter:

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:19 pm

In a nutshell there is a consensus - “start with 5 or 6 known players and give a chance for 5 or 6 yet not fully known/proven players to show what they can do.... then during the game introduce others !”

With 5 games to go MM should have a much better idea who is up to scratch for the Championship next season and who needs more time and who is not good enough. Most importantly MM will know what positions must he recommend to Tan to be bought.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:29 pm

Latest H-T

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:30 pm

What if the result ends like this tonight / so far h-t ?

Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:32 pm

Bournemouth get the 3pts

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:17 pm

Agree with all.of that Annis but unless.Joe Bennett takes a.substantial pay cut then can see the club offering him.much.more than a year on probably half of the wages he is on.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:36 pm

If we play a few youngsters and lose some of the remaining games I don't think anyone would be too bothered. Everyone knows it's all about next season now. Would have expected to lose away to Reading and Brentford anyway. Given how we have played in the last few games I think playing a couple of youngsters would actually make us better.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:31 am

boyo1927 wrote:Agree with all.of that Annis but unless.Joe Bennett takes a.substantial pay cut then can see the club offering him.much.more than a year on probably half of the wages he is on.

Lee,
I agree in Joe Bennett, I would not offer him what he is on now and he won’t get it anywhere now due to his injury.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:32 am

After last night’s results:

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:58 am

Forever Blue wrote:

I’ve always been half full person but you have to say after that result I look at the table say season just about over and glad we’re not fighting a relegation battle on a positive note :thumbup: :bluescarf:

Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:02 am

Pembroke bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I’ve always been half full person but you have to say after that result I look at the table say season just about over and glad we’re not fighting a relegation battle on a positive note :thumbup: :bluescarf:

Fair enough Gerald, my point was, would you now play some of our 18 & 19 year olds in our last 5 games?

Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:21 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Pembroke bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Fair enough Gerald, my point was, would you now play some of our 18 & 19 year olds in our last 5 games?

I think the last 5 games are sort of freebies, I'd love to see what some of the youngsters can do and they'd be keen to get some game time. I think we could play a couple at a time, but we also need a balance and we don't want to get mullered every game as that would shatter confidence. Saying that, we got mullered at Sheff Wed with the best team we had available so give the kids a run, no point playing the loan players as the wont be here next season.
All in all, we were getting worried just after Christmas and our league position was worrying, but now we are comfortable we can enjoy the last 5 games with pretty much no pressure. Roll on next season and can't wait to get back in the stands, never thought I'd miss going to games as much as I have.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:44 am

Don Keydick wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Pembroke bluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I think the last 5 games are sort of freebies, I'd love to see what some of the youngsters can do and they'd be keen to get some game time. I think we could play a couple at a time, but we also need a balance and we don't want to get mullered every game as that would shatter confidence. Saying that, we got mullered at Sheff Wed with the best team we had available so give the kids a run, no point playing the loan players as the wont be here next season.
All in all, we were getting worried just after Christmas and our league position was worrying, but now we are comfortable we can enjoy the last 5 games with pretty much no pressure. Roll on next season and can't wait to get back in the stands, never thought I'd miss going to games as much as I have.

Dill,

Correct that’s all I was saying play at least 2 or 3 in each game, say our best 6 youngsters over the 5 games, let’s see if they are as good as we are being told and the experience they will get will be second to none :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:28 am

TOTALLY AGREE ANNIS :bluescarf: