Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cameron Jerome, Cardiff City?

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:53 am

‘ Cameron Jerome ‘

Ex-Bluebirds striker Cameron Jerome confirmed Cardiff City were in for him in January and revealed his disappointment after the move broke down.

The striker began his career in the Welsh capital and shot to prominence when he scored 24 goals in 76 appearances as a Championship tyro.

He now finds himself at League One outfit MK Dons, where he is in decent form, having netted 13 goals in 34 appearances this term, and has caught the eye of some Championship clubs.

One of those was his former club Cardiff, who, the 34-year-old revealed, made a bid for him in the last transfer window after Mick McCarthy had arrived.

However, the deal broke down because manager Russell Martin told him they were unable to find a replacement.

Verdict : Well, the one thing we do know is that this was concrete interest and it seemed to have gone some way to being completed, only to be kiboshed at the last minute.

It gives us some insight, at least, into the sort of gnarled, battle-hardened striker McCarthy was after.

Whether it was just a short-term option until the end of the season, after Robert Glatzel's departure, is unknown, but it feels highly unlikely Jerome will be a target again this summer.

Re: Cameron Jerome, Cardiff City?

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:28 am

No offence to Cameron but I sincerely hope not...

Sadly, his (footballing) boat has largely sailed

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:41 am

Sven wrote:No offence to Cameron but I sincerely hope not...

Can we afford better though? Next season is likely to be tough financially.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:19 pm

moonboots wrote:

If we are looking at Jerome as a striker next season, it wont just be tough financially, it will tough to compete at the top end of the table.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:25 pm

fred keenor wrote:
moonboots wrote:

If we are looking at Jerome as a striker next season, it wont just be tough financially, it will tough to compete at the top end of the table.

I would agree if he was first choice, but he's certainly a better option as back up to Moore than we've had this season.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:25 pm

He'll be 35 by the time next season starts and his last time he played in the Championship was the 17/18 season. It's a pass from me.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:41 pm

I hope not too!! Goes against the philosophy of lowering the age in the squad, he is certainly not championship material any more.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:00 pm

EastShoreBlue wrote:He'll be 35 by the time next season starts and his last time he played in the Championship was the 17/18 season. It's a pass from me.

yep ..because prior to this season he has been playing in the Turkish league...

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:58 pm

fred keenor wrote:
moonboots wrote:

He's probably a better back up to Moore than we already have. Wouldn't be too impressed by this signing either but I'm assuming money will be tight with no further parachute payments.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:40 pm

bluesince62 wrote:I hope not too!! Goes against the philosophy of lowering the age in the squad, he is certainly not championship material any more.

And I'm not a fan of players returning to their former clubs for a final pay-off...

Ledley tried it (look where he is now) and I am long in the tooth enough to recall how/when Cameron Jerome left our club (quote him and his dad at the time) "to further my career at a more ambitious club..."

Birmingham City...???? :lol:

To his credit, other regular away supporters will also recall he was often seen in the away end with Bluebird supporters; and a lot bettee behave than that 'Jack' lout who thinks he's Rhys Ifans...