Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Mick McCarthy / Lee Tomlin ??? '

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:05 pm

MICK McCARTHY REFUSES TO DISCUSS LEE TOMLIN WITH THE MEDIA

(Read 2nd part )

Lee Tomlin, fans would love to see him, how is he?

MICK McCARTHY:

He has gone through the process. He has managed to get through the training without pulling up injured or any problems he has suffered with his hip and stuff.

And he is training with the first team, with the squad. He is doing OK.

We thought March, then April, maybe May now?

Ready to start in a game? No, I don’t think that’s the case.

McCarthy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Mick McCarthy / Lee Tomlin ??? '

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:16 pm

Can we discuss more about Lee Tomlin with Mick?

Lee Tomlin, how have conversations gone with you two?

MICK McCARTHY:

"He’s not involved in the squad tomorrow, for the game.

So, on that matter, I’m not going to discuss it. I’m going to discuss the game, not individual players."

I’ve had that discussion. When I came here he was injured, so unless it’s about the game tomorrow… I’ll do all that at another press conference.

This is about the game against Reading, not Lee Tomlin."

McCarthy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:07 pm

Personally I thought finally Tomlin looks like he has lost a lot of his weight once again :thumbright: and if Tomlin does appear in some of the last 5 games, for Mick to take a good look at him, I can see Mick trying to offload Tomlin this Summer, but it will be hard as I can’t see clubs paying anywhere near £28,000 a week not even half.

Media Wales:

When pressed further on the conversations McCarthy and Tomlin have had since the manager took over, McCarthy batted it straight back.

"He’s not involved in the squad tomorrow, for the game," he added. "So, on that matter, I’m not going to discuss it.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:11 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Personally I thought finally Tomlin looks like he has lost a lot of his weight once again :thumbright: and if Tomlin does appear in some of the last 5 games, for Mick to take a good look at him, I can see Mick trying to offload Tomlin this Summer, but it will be hard as I can’t see clubs paying anywhere near £28,000 a week not even half.

Agreed, I just don't think McCarthy is willing to tolerate any lack of fitness or application from anyone.

Even players like Wilson weren't picked if he thought they weren't "on it" in training and personally I think Wilson's work ethic is way above Tomlin's.

It's a real shame because we know Tomlin has the ability to win games but his injuries and/or lack of general fitness will probably mean that he just won't fit in with McCarthy's high energy pressing game that he wants to play.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:22 pm

Reply Twitter :

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:38 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Personally I thought finally Tomlin looks like he has lost a lot of his weight once again :thumbright: and if Tomlin does appear in some of the last 5 games, for Mick to take a good look at him, I can see Mick trying to offload Tomlin this Summer, but it will be hard as I can’t see clubs paying anywhere near £28,000 a week not even half.

Agreed, I just don't think McCarthy is willing to tolerate any lack of fitness or application from anyone.

Even players like Wilson weren't picked if he thought they weren't "on it" in training and personally I think Wilson's work ethic is way above Tomlin's.

It's a real shame because we know Tomlin has the ability to win games but his injuries and/or lack of general fitness will probably mean that he just won't fit in with McCarthy's high energy pressing game that he wants to play.

If McCarthy is waiting for Tomlin to be able to play 90 minutes of his style of football, which is what it sounds like he's waiting for, then Tomlin will likely never play for us again. I doubt at any point in his career he's been at that fitness level. However depsite that, he's proven at multiple clubs how good a player he is. Last season he was probably one of the best players I've seen at Cardiff since Whitts at his peak. Arter and Camarassa are up there too but the PL probably didn't help them shine as much as Tomlin in the Championship.
If Tomlin is fit enough to even play 20 minutes at the end of the game I think he should be in the squad and if he's at that level and MM doesn't pick him I think it's a mistake.