Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Was it a new-manager bounce?

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:11 pm

More on the season

Was it a new-manager bounce? It was a big bounce for 13 games. These last three we have just dropped off a little.

MICK McCARTHY:

The Sheffield Wednesday game was a perfect storm for them. Blackburn, we shouldn’t be giving that away in the 90th minute.

It’s been educational, that’s for sure, in terms of the league again and the players we’ve got.

You can always take something from it. But I’m not going to say it’s been a success.

McCarthy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Was it a new-manager bounce?

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:22 pm

I think he's being a bit hard on himself if he thinks he hasn't been a success.

This season the main aim when he took over was to banish any thoughts of being dragged into a relegation fight that Harris had left us on the brink of.

To do that and to get us challenging for a play off place until it's all gone wrong over the last four or five games is I would say a "success" in that he comfortably managed to do what he was employed to do.

Next season is of course a different story and depends upon what the club expect from him. The club have said there will be no money available and that they expect to see the kids being played a lot more so I can't see how they can realistically expect any sort of a promotion challenge next season unless MM can unearth some lower league gems from somewhere.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:41 pm

davids wrote:I think he's being a bit hard on himself if he thinks he hasn't been a success.

This season the main aim when he took over was to banish any thoughts of being dragged into a relegation fight that Harris had left us on the brink of.

To do that and to get us challenging for a play off place until it's all gone wrong over the last four or five games is I would say a "success" in that he comfortably managed to do what he was employed to do.

Next season is of course a different story and depends upon what the club expect from him. The club have said there will be no money available and that they expect to see the kids being played a lot more so I can't see how they can realistically expect any sort of a promotion challenge next season unless MM can unearth some lower league gems from somewhere.

Spot on David on all accounts :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Big Micks done a great job this season :thumbright: :thumbright:

Saved us from a relegation battle, amazing run, beat the Jacks , let some of the kids play.

Injuries have hurt us badly.

To perform more miracles next season, he will need the Youth to step up massively :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Money.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:52 pm

It's not easy for any manager to manage this team.Same piss poor midfielders playing game after game and not one of them can put their foot on the ball,let alone spot a pass.We need 2 proper midfielders or it will be the same old story.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:59 pm

davids wrote:I think he's being a bit hard on himself if he thinks he hasn't been a success.

When have the club said no money to spend?

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Saved us from a relegation battle, amazing run, beat the Jacks , let some of the kids play.

To perform more miracles next season, he will need the Youth to step up massively :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Money.

Nice positive post Annis and David, totally agree, it's nice to have a stress free end to a season and lets see what he can do with a transfer window and a pre season :thumbup:

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:28 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Money.

Nice positive post Annis and David, totally agree, it's nice to have a stress free end to a season and lets see what he can do with a transfer window and a pre season :thumbup:

Thanks Mark :thumbright:

Yes I ended up enjoying this season thanks to Big Mick :bluebird:

And we finish the season without worries abs looking forward to seeing what happens this Summer :thumbright: :bluebird:

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:46 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Money.

Yes, I agree with all of Davids comments... :clap:

For me, player fatigue, particularly with Keiffer Moore, and the eventual loss through injury of the very underrated (to some) captain Sean ap Morrison was the main factor and not the end of the new manager 'bounce'

As you say, Annis, next year will be the focus for management now. We should be planning already and (for me at least) it is no different to a club having gained early automatic promotion having a certain advantagevover those who are still in the mix

We now need to use thst advantage to our own favour... :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:12 pm

MM has said we need a bigger squad.

The only way that is going to happen is to bring the youngsters through. The only way we are going to get new players in from outside is by offloading some of what we have now.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:54 pm

Not a new manager bounce we just had to many points to make up so did well to be competitive upto now? As for next season can only wait until transfer window closes to know extent of the teams capabilities with a full pre season and hope some different players in squad.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:06 pm

Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Money.

Yes, I agree with all of Davids comments... :clap:

For me, player fatigue, particularly with Keiffer Moore, and the eventual loss through injury of the very underrated (to some) captain Sean ap Morrison was the main factor and not the end of the new manager 'bounce'

As you say, Annis, next year will be the focus for management now. We should be planning already and (for me at least) it is no different to a club having gained early automatic promotion having a certain advantagevover those who are still in the mix

We now need to use thst advantage to our own favour... :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Yes Chris everything Mick does next season and this Summer will be scrutinised by our fans.

We can certainly remember Mick well from January onwards and next season it will be all his, I personally believe we will have do well next season under Mick :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:13 pm

Thanks to Mick McCarthy we are not even having to consider this :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:48 pm

I think Mick Mccarthy has been a breath of fresh air for us all.

I think with the squad we have he will be able to put his own touches on it over the summer and we will be a top 6 side.

We can't ask for much more really.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:02 pm

RV Casual wrote:I think Mick Mccarthy has been a breath of fresh air for us all.

I think with the squad we have he will be able to put his own touches on it over the summer and we will be a top 6 side.

:thumbup: :bluebird:

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:37 pm

Injuries fucked us up
Mick changed to a back 3 with attacking wing backs.
Bennett gets injured.Then Baglan and NG.
We haven't got the best out of Wilson.
I think Tomlin was made for Wilson in this league. But that's another story.
Also the seeds were set by Warnocks
signings when we got relegated. He, left us with a, pedestrian midfield on long term contracts.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:32 pm

RV Casual wrote:I think Mick Mccarthy has been a breath of fresh air for us all.

A nice positive opinion mate but personally I don’t we’ll make the top six at all next season.
Happy to be proved wrong!
;)

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:05 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

A nice positive opinion mate but personally I don’t we’ll make the top six at all next season.
Happy to be proved wrong!
;)

much depends how much funding he gets.... if its decent i think we will do ok....if its more like what he got at Ipswich he will keep us stable... no doubt there are those that think what players you have is completely unimportant...