Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Best player you've ever seen live? "

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:39 pm

Watching the Man Utd game and the commentators once again pointing out how much the young players can learn from Edinson Cavani.

They're completely right as well, you can see the movements and touch of the ball he has make all the difference. He should go down as one of the greats over a long career. Still playing at the top now.

Got me thinking.. Who is the best player you have ever seen play live. Where and when did you see them?

For me, it has to be Cristiano Ronaldo. I can't remember when, but I've seen him play twice.

The first time was against Lille in the Champions League for Man Utd, when he hadn't been a regular starter for long with them. You could just see his natural talent and he was already head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch.

Years later, I was in Madrid and watched him play for Real Madrid against Real Betis. It was on that occasion that I realised just how good he is. He had power, strength, pace, experience and leadership.

Such a remarkable footballer. Him and Lionel Messi will be remembered by many forever when they retire.

Honourable mentions to Kevin De Bruyne, Frank Lampard and Luis Suarez as well.

Who is the best player you have ever seen play live?

Re: " Best player you've ever seen live? "

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:08 pm

Good question, mine would probably be Ronaldo as well mate, probably not at the actual time I saw him play mind as he would have been at Man Utd and I think he was better after that.

Honourable mentions for Gareth Bale and Ryan Giggs.

Iv probably seen loads at International games that I just can't think of at the moment.

It's probably Ronaldo though as I havnt seen Messi play live

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:26 pm

Depends on what you mean by live.
If you mean watching it on the tele George Best. if you mean live as being there in person Bobby Charlton.
For the City Whitts
For Wales Bale

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:34 pm

Saw Gazza live when he played for Spurs back in 1991,I have to say he was amazing and scored twice in a 2-1 win.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:48 am

Trevor Francis up at Maine Road in a cup game many years ago. Classic speedy winger, like a rat up a drainpipe.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:05 am

RV Casual wrote:Good question, mine would probably be Ronaldo as well mate, probably not at the actual time I saw him play mind as he would have been at Man Utd and I think he was better after that.

Honourable mentions for Gareth Bale and Ryan Giggs.

Iv probably seen loads at International games that I just can't think of at the moment.

It's probably Ronaldo though as I havnt seen Messi play live

Yeah, I agree he was better after he left United. Saying that, he often says he wouldn't be the player he is without Sir Alex Ferguson.

He was very good there, especially in the last couple of years, but really proved he was one of the all-time best when he was at Real Madrid.

Forgot to mention Bale and Giggs.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:07 am

stickywicket wrote:Depends on what you mean by live.
If you mean watching it on the tele George Best. if you mean live as being there in person Bobby Charlton.
For the City Whitts
For Wales Bale

Yes, I meant live in person.

Well before my time was Bobby Charlton, but what a player he was.

In terms of City players, I'd probably say Whittingham or Bellamy.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:08 am

Plymuff Bloobird wrote:Saw Gazza live when he played for Spurs back in 1991,I have to say he was amazing and scored twice in a 2-1 win.

Another player who was mostly before my time, but would have loved to have play live.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:47 am

Probably the most impressive player I've seen playing against city was a young Michael Carrick 17 years ago when we played at West Ham. He was absolutely head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch, totally bossed the game, no wonder Spurs and Man utd came calling for him soon after.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:02 am

GEORGE BEST a magician in an era when there were hatchet men in every team :occasion5:

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:35 am

Lucky enough have see many 'great' players at Ninian Park and beyond; but my abiding memory of a true 'great' was (and as a anti-ManUre person, I don't like to say it) watching Christiano Ronaldo in full flow on more than once occasion...

The guy as a player is class personified and I'm told by people who knew him growing up in Madeira the he isn't the character he is often perceived to be; he's actually a very nice, approachable and charitable guy :clap:

From the Bluebird point of view, I cannot single out one player in reality when looking back we have had so many in each area of the pitch rom keeper to centre forward, so I won't out of respect to all those who played for us ;)

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:30 pm

Messi for me He was coming back from injury and came on for 35 mins and totally changed the game scored one and set up two I hold not believe his change in pace from standing still to covering 20 meters

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:39 pm

Going extremely left field here !

Playing against the City I would go for Diomansy Kamara, playing for West Brom in a pre-season friendly. It has always stuck with me how quick, skilful and powerful he was. It really did look like men against boys when he had the ball. He swatted our players away like they were flies.

Loved seeing David Silva too. What a truly great footballer.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:27 pm

I’m lucky enough to watch a lot of top teams abroad.

Watched Gazza a few times at White Hart Lane an incredible player. Too many to mention really.

I’ve seen Ronald twice once in Cardiff and once in Madrid

Messi and Neymar in Barcelona, etc, etc.

The best is Ronaldo.

As Sven says it’s virtually impossible to pick the best City player seen live especially if you go back a long way!

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:42 pm

Stoichkov was pretty handy for Bulgaria. Hagi for Romania.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:15 pm

Has to be Ronaldo for me too! Although I was hugely impressed by his teammate ricardo quaresma when I saw him playing for besiktas in turkey,his skills were phenomenal! Also have to include giggs & bale,as both world class, even fergue names giggs as only one of four world class players during his time as manure manager.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:46 pm

Forget what year it was but Wales V Germany at Millennium Stadium.

Bastian Schwiestieger - wow - magnificent as a midfield controller - everything came through him. His distribution and awareness were staggering.

Sorry to say watching that game it was like watching men against boys that game,thankfully We have made great strides since then.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:07 pm

George Best a class apart,

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:29 pm

De bruyne in the F A Cup down here
Had a seat right at front desk of Bob bank , so could really see his ball retention up close, skills on show that day, brilliant with the ball at his feet, one of them players you can’t tackle and end up having to foul

Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:49 am

castleblue wrote:George Best a class apart,

I saw Best play once and he didn’t impress me that day.

Have to agree though he was a class apart.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:50 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

I was lucky enough to watch him live a few times including whilst "playing" for Fulham late in his career when we did the double over them. We won 2-1 away and Best scored a goal late on but he was not the player I saw years earlier. I saw him playing for Utd against QPR and Best and Law just ran the show with Utd winning 8-1 I think. Back then he was an amazing player.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:30 am

Matt le Tissier for me for Southampton v Cardiff.

Different level.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:32 am

Sven wrote:Lucky enough have see many 'great' players at Ninian Park and beyond; but my abiding memory of a true 'great' was (and as a anti-ManUre person, I don't like to say it) watching Christiano Ronaldo in full flow on more than once occasion...

The guy as a player is class personified and I'm told by people who knew him growing up in Madeira the he isn't the character he is often perceived to be; he's actually a very nice, approachable and charitable guy :clap:

From the Bluebird point of view, I cannot single out one player in reality when looking back we have had so many in each area of the pitch rom keeper to centre forward, so I won't out of respect to all those who played for us ;)

I often read that he is incredibly charitable.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:09 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

i seen him 4 times early 70s... some nice touches but no goals no assists and United lost 3 time and NI lost the other time.... i must have been a jinx... obviously a very good player and one of the very few that could bump up a crowd by 10k...

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:37 pm

Gary Madine, no doubt! :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:13 pm

Saw Dalglish a few times live. Every time he would pull defenders all over the place and jink past like they weren't there.
For City ... Whitts

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:21 pm

As an individual performance I'd say Hazard at the 4-1 loss at Chelsea a few seasons back. Scored a hat trick and just looked untouchable all game.

Best player in general... Probably De Bruyne for Belgium/Man City/Wolfsburg. Or any of the best players from Man City or Liverpool in our last PL outing.

For Cardiff, Whitts. Hands down :ayatollah: