Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: MY VIEW " ZERO CREATIVITY "

Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:17 am

Mick put out a team of stoppers last night and hoped we'd knick one, it nearly worked but christ is it dour.

I am from the defenders must defend first camp, but I am also in the Forwards must be skilled and/or pacey. Even during Warnocks darkest day he tried to win the game, he loved pace up top and you always have to respect pace.

The different pace that Murphy operates under looked wrong when he came on as we were so accustomed to Moore who is no slouch for a very big lad being the only outlet. Wilson did OK but he is more of a midfielder than Josh who only thinks like a forward.

I have no idea why he persists with this formation when we don't have the players. Morrison, Flint and Nelson worked with NG and Bennett. We could have gone with a back 4 and put another forward on !!!!

I would have gone nuts this time last year if someone said sell Ralls but i think for his and our sake it may be a good move as we need 2 out of the 4 CM's to go to get new recruits in and i just can't see many wanting Bacuna and definately Pack. I still think Joe is the best CM at the club, I think we have ruined him with the safety hoof it first policy of the last 3 managers.

Question - How many crosses did NG and Sang get in last night ?

So yesterday we really played 5 at the back as there was no wide attacking presence, 2 holders, Ralls as an advanced disruptor, Wilson who i think is an attacking central midfielder and Moore who defends the near post well on corners.

Forget about creativity, there was no attacking intent.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:34 am

llan bluebird wrote:Mick put out a team of stoppers last night and hoped we'd knick one, it nearly worked but christ is it dour.

I am from the defenders must defend first camp, but I am also in the Forwards must be skilled and/or pacey. Even during Warnocks darkest day he tried to win the game, he loved pace up top and you always have to respect pace.

The different pace that Murphy operates under looked wrong when he came on as we were so accustomed to Moore who is no slouch for a very big lad being the only outlet. Wilson did OK but he is more of a midfielder than Josh who only thinks like a forward.

I have no idea why he persists with this formation when we don't have the players. Morrison, Flint and Nelson worked with NG and Bennett. We could have gone with a back 4 and put another forward on !!!!

I would have gone nuts this time last year if someone said sell Ralls but i think for his and our sake it may be a good move as we need 2 out of the 4 CM's to go to get new recruits in and i just can't see many wanting Bacuna and definately Pack. I still think Joe is the best CM at the club, I think we have ruined him with the safety hoof it first policy of the last 3 managers.

So yesterday we really played 5 at the back as there was no wide attacking presence, 2 holders, Ralls as an advanced disruptor, Wilson who i think is an attacking central midfielder and Moore who defends the near post well on corners.

Hes been employing a must not lose strategy past 7 games if you remember said cant take off moore as hes a good defender? Problem with this is it leads to drawn games as we've seen that as cost us this season! We've lost just two games with mick.... but due to this mentality we've lost points when we should have won especially at home ! Let's just hope he changes his philosophy next season but not sure old dog will have new tricks so expect the same Outlook but will that be enough really doubt it..

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:28 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Mick put out a team of stoppers last night and hoped we'd knick one, it nearly worked but christ is it dour.

A well thought out and articulate post.

It’s similar to what I’ve been saying and the fact that next season will be staid, average and un-exciting the way things are looking.

Some people compare him to Warnock but as you said Warnock football although a lot of long balls had much more purpose, pace and excitement about it.

Friday nights first half was ok but no creativity but the second half we were outplayed and pretty shite.
Murphy sparked this up for the odd 5 minutes and that’s about it.

So disappointed in Harry Wilson in general.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:47 pm

Crayfish wrote:Have to say I am getting more and more depressed about the thought of Mick McCarthy managing us next season. Expecting a Russel Slade sort of season. Probably be dull and pragmatic enough to avoid being anywhere near relegation but nowhere near good enough to get near the playoffs either

Given that we will have a limited amount of money to spend if anything we will need to rely on our youth set up for some good players. So fat he has been resolute in not playing anyone form our youth team. I think all he is interested is making sure the results are just good enough to not get him the sack and there is zero forward planning for the future.

If we had not given him a two year contract and could get rid of him for nothing at the end of the season I rather suspect he would be gone.

I'm largely in agreement with you. I didn't want big Mick to start with but was happy to eat humble pie after the fantastic start he had. However, I'm not enjoying the style of football and long to have a few more ball players in the team with, in particular, a lot more creativity in midfield and more pace in the team.
Like you I'm worried about next season. We're obviously going to lose Wilson, Ojo, Osei Tutu and a few others. I like Hoilett but he's obviously out of favour. We need significant strengthening at wingback and central midfield and could do with a quality centre back and at least one more striker. How much money will be available and what sort of quality can we get on our reduced budget? I don't like being negative but it doesn't look good. I've watched us since 1969 so I've seen far, far worse than we've got right now...but during the last ten years or so we've been given an insight of what's possible and just how big this club can be. I don't want to be hard working and still in games, but relying on the odd counter attack. I'd like us to be fluid in passing and movement, pinning teams back and really going for it on occasions but also, when we're up against better teams to have some real pace in the team to catch teams on the break. But it gets tedious to rely on those tactics virtually every game.
Let's hope the Club and big Mick have a surprise or two up their sleeves and we can put a serious promotion challenge together. Bluebirds!!

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:07 pm

moonboots wrote:
Crayfish wrote:Have to say I am getting more and more depressed about the thought of Mick McCarthy managing us next season. Expecting a Russel Slade sort of season. Probably be dull and pragmatic enough to avoid being anywhere near relegation but nowhere near good enough to get near the playoffs either

Given that we will have a limited amount of money to spend if anything we will need to rely on our youth set up for some good players. So fat he has been resolute in not playing anyone form our youth team. I think all he is interested is making sure the results are just good enough to not get him the sack and there is zero forward planning for the future.

If we had not given him a two year contract and could get rid of him for nothing at the end of the season I rather suspect he would be gone.

I'm largely in agreement with you. I didn't want big Mick to start with but was happy to eat humble pie after the fantastic start he had. However, I'm not enjoying the style of football and long to have a few more ball players in the team with, in particular, a lot more creativity in midfield and more pace in the team.
Like you I'm worried about next season. We're obviously going to lose Wilson, Ojo, Osei Tutu and a few others. I like Hoilett but he's obviously out of favour. We need significant strengthening at wingback and central midfield and could do with a quality centre back and at least one more striker. How much money will be available and what sort of quality can we get on our reduced budget? I don't like being negative but it doesn't look good. I've watched us since 1969 so I've seen far, far worse than we've got right now...but during the last ten years or so we've been given an insight of what's possible and just how big this club can be. I don't want to be hard working and still in games, but relying on the odd counter attack. I'd like us to be fluid in passing and movement, pinning teams back and really going for it on occasions but also, when we're up against better teams to have some real pace in the team to catch teams on the break. But it gets tedious to rely on those tactics virtually every game.
Let's hope the Club and big Mick have a surprise or two up their sleeves and we can put a serious promotion challenge together. Bluebirds!!

massively depends on budget ..... if your wanting to watch a Bielsa like Leeds you also need to be spending likewise { i know there are exceptions as there are to anything and everything } but the clubs with the best most expensive players are the ones that generally do well.... its why there is a transfer market.... if we are shopping in poundland hard working and staying in games ...its better than not being... id love us to be cavalier too mate but ive been going as long as you have and apart from a few periods { not seasons } .ive not seen it...
personally i think Mick will do a good job either way... but im expecting it to be small budget / hard to beat...

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:14 pm

Zero creativity indeed, and that has been the case for years. It hurts me to say it, but Swansea are a far better watch.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:15 pm

BC-CB wrote:Zero creativity indeed, and that has been the case for years. It hurts me to say it, but Swansea are a far better watch.

If you like watching paint dry? Making 900 passes a game does not make for exciting football in championship :D ....

Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:17 pm

Our game yesterday was a better watch than the first half of Man City v Chelsea today.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:54 pm

Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:Our game yesterday was a better watch than the first half of Man City v Chelsea today.

Was very poor cons the talent on the pitch ..2nd half city lacked ideas to breakdown Chelsea's 11 man defensive setup...

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:59 pm

skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:It was still a better performance today, whatever you all espouse above.

A better performance to what?

we were playing a side above us who desperately needed a win.... so yes it was better than recent results and performances against sides lower than us...

It was backs to wall defending for the majority of the game. We offered nothing going forward for the most of game, which has been the case for a lot of our games lately. Our football is absolutely dire to watch. But yea, let's be happy with it cos we didn't get dicked 5-0 again.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:00 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
BC-CB wrote:Zero creativity indeed, and that has been the case for years. It hurts me to say it, but Swansea are a far better watch.

If you like watching paint dry? Making 900 passes a game does not make for exciting football in championship :D ....

They are 3rd in the league and 16 points ahead of us...

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:08 pm

Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:Our game yesterday was a better watch than the first half of Man City v Chelsea today.

Agreed.

Awful game.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:13 pm

I'm sorry but I can't agree with that.

I'm guessing you haven't seen Swansea play apart from their games against us.

Their games are exceptionally poor for the neutral.

My point is we lack creativity. Swansea create very little also but have had a solid defence for most of this season. Now their defence is struggling more, they are just about out of the race to finish in the top two.

Would rather watch our style than that, because at least we don't pass the ball around our own half for 72 minutes before thinking about going near the opponent's penalty area.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:31 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:It was still a better performance today, whatever you all espouse above.

we were playing a side above us who desperately needed a win.... so yes it was better than recent results and performances against sides lower than us...

It was backs to wall defending for the majority of the game. We offered nothing going forward for the most of game, which has been the case for a lot of our games lately. Our football is absolutely dire to watch. But yea, let's be happy with it cos we didn't get dicked 5-0 again.

yes a draw is much much better than losing 5-0.... especially if the draw is against someone above you and the 5-0 against the bottom club... as for happy ..you will never be..

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:42 pm

skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

yes a draw is much much better than losing 5-0.... especially if the draw is against someone above you and the 5-0 against the bottom club... as for happy ..you will never be..

Cant be happy with performance but can be with result as you say better than losing 5-0 plus playing away to team above us. :old:

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:52 pm

skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

Not whilst we play like we do now, no. Its awful. Relying on a long throw to get out our half and as our main threat of attack is piss poor.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:00 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

Cant be happy with performance but can be with result as you say better than losing 5-0 plus playing away to team above us. :old:

It doesn't matter who we play though the performances have been the same for weeks. Its always a slog. Little possession and not much going forward. So frustrating watching a team that cant string more then 3 passes together before lumping it long towards the area of the pitch Moore is in.