MY VIEW " ZERO CREATIVITY "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:57 pm

My view " ZERO CREATIVITY "

FT: 1-1

City played with good intensity and used the ball well, but hardly ever troubled the defence.

No creativity whatsoever.

We had hardly any of the ball in the second half.

After watching this, Mick should know that he needs attacking reinforcements if he wants to turn this team into a top six team next season.

Many will ask why the young players weren't given more of a chance to impress, given we have nothing to play for.

Mick made just one change with Joe Ralls replacing Josh Murphy

No chance of the play-offs for Cardiff City.

Reading would move to within two points of the top six ahead of the weekend's other games with a win.

City started strongly with an early free kick which came to nothing

Another free kick for Cardiff on the ten minute mark, but Flint couldn't find the target

Wilson nearly gave us the lead on 15 minutes but Rafael made a great save

Reading had a couple of dangerous attacks around 25 minutes in, but they didn't trouble Smithies

A good couple of blocks by Flint to deny Ejaria, before Meite flicked the ball towards goal but it was simple for Smithies

Cardiff had a couple of corners in quick succession towards the end of the half, but they came to nothing

HT: READING 0-0 CARDIFF CITY

Nelson booked in the first minute of the second half as he catches Joao with his arm

Pack booked just a few minutes later for bringing down Olise

Ejaria had a shot from distance but it was straight at Smithies

Smithies made a good save to deny Joao

Meite had a shot deflected over, but nothing came of the corner

Meite had a shot from distance that went wide

Meite had a big chance to give Reading the lead but scooped it over

Murphy replaced Pack in the 70th minute

Kieffer Moore had a shot from the edge of the box but it was straight at Rafael. Should have done better

Wilson had an effort cleared off the line by Yiadom

Brown booked for blocking Meite

Ojo replaced Wilson in the 80th minute

GOAL: READING 0-1 CARDIFF CITY - Kieffer Moore scores a penalty in the 86th minute after he was brought down by Richards

Flint headed over in the 88th minute

GOAL: As the pressure was put on by Reading, Flint put the ball in his own net

FT: READING 1-1 CARDIFF CITY

My MOTM Aden Flint :thumbright:
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: MY VIEW " ZERO CREATIVITY "

Postby Escott1927 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:05 pm

Didnt deserve a draw really. Defended for the majority of the game like a team from a lower league.

Cant pass, no creativity, no pace. Aimless long balls conceding possession just to be on the back foot again.

Until we can keep possession better there's no chance of top 6.
Escott1927

Postby llan bluebird » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:06 pm

Its going to be a dour time. Rather than start with a target man and 2 attacking midfielders he starts with ralls who is visibly a better CM, before that he started Bacuna.....It criminally defensive.
llan bluebird

Postby Grandstand » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:08 pm

Agree with both comments. You cannot play with a lack of possession and expect much. We need 2 midfield players who can play possession football.
Grandstand

Postby llan bluebird » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:08 pm

Escott1927 wrote:Didnt deserve a draw really. Defended for the majority of the game like a team from a lower league.

Cant pass, no creativity, no pace. Aimless long balls conceding possession just to be on the back foot again.

We all blame the central midfield, that back line are just back to the wall defenders, none of them can play. We need Keifer because we can't play
llan bluebird

Postby llan bluebird » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:12 pm

we also need to try Perry in the back 3, to increase the mobility and footballing ability

Flint is OK, Nelson L1, and Brown at the moment a L2 stopper
llan bluebird

Postby Sven » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:12 pm

Any hope of a promotion season over, if it wasn't already, and we only have ourselves to blame in recent weeks

Clearly we miss Sean Morrison but whilst others, Flint in particukar, stepped uo to the mark, we 100% missed Sean's leadership and the stats show tonight and in recent weeks that... :cry:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby EastleighBlue » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:17 pm

He's got the squad he's got. Its not balanced and there is no creativity in the middle. If we tried to play an expansive attacking game tonight we would have been picked off easily. We set up to our strengths defensively, stayed in the game and should have won it with a late penalty. Yet again we've thrown away points in the last minute. I am more cross with that than anything else. Had we held out against Blackburn and Reading the play offs would still be on. My criticism is poor game management by us. As for youngsters are we really expecting them to start against better teams like Reading and next week against Brentford? Play them when its right and lets not forget Sang and Brown were still on the pitch tonight too.
EastleighBlue

Postby BaltimoreBlues » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:17 pm

There is definitely no creativity, our central midfielders are pretty dire. I’m not a fan of pack, but he’s the only one that can pass, unfortunately it’s always sideways and back. Ralls and Vaulks are similar in that they really try and give everything, but they lack any quality. The only shinning light, Baccuna didn’t come on.
BaltimoreBlues

Postby BaltimoreBlues » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:24 pm

llan bluebird wrote:we also need to try Perry in the back 3, to increase the mobility and footballing ability

Agree with all of this. I feel bad for Perry as he’s out of position. I don’t know what all the fuss about Brown was, he definitely looks L2 material.
BaltimoreBlues

Postby Crayfish » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:25 pm

Have to say I am getting more and more depressed about the thought of Mick McCarthy managing us next season. Expecting a Russel Slade sort of season. Probably be dull and pragmatic enough to avoid being anywhere near relegation but nowhere near good enough to get near the playoffs either

Given that we will have a limited amount of money to spend if anything we will need to rely on our youth set up for some good players. So fat he has been resolute in not playing anyone form our youth team. I think all he is interested is making sure the results are just good enough to not get him the sack and there is zero forward planning for the future.

If we had not given him a two year contract and could get rid of him for nothing at the end of the season I rather suspect he would be gone.
Crayfish

Postby Escott1927 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:30 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:Didnt deserve a draw really. Defended for the majority of the game like a team from a lower league.

We all blame the central midfield, that back line are just back to the wall defenders, none of them can play. We need Keifer because we can't play

I've been saying since we got relegated that we need better ball playing CBs. A lot of the long balls are from them. But a lot of that comes from our cm's passing it back to them as they have no options. More pace and creativity in the middle and we could pass it about better. The way we play is so frustrating to watch.
Escott1927

Postby BaltimoreBlues » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:33 pm

Crayfish wrote:Have to say I am getting more and more depressed about the thought of Mick McCarthy managing us next season. Expecting a Russel Slade sort of season. Probably be dull and pragmatic enough to avoid being anywhere near relegation but nowhere near good enough to get near the playoffs either

Given that we will have a limited amount of money to spend if anything we will need to rely on our youth set up for some good players. So fat he has been resolute in not playing anyone form our youth team. I think all he is interested is making sure the results are just good enough to not get him the sack and there is zero forward planning for the future.

If we had not given him a two year contract and could get rid of him for nothing at the end of the season I rather suspect he would be gone.

This is how a see next season going as well. We won’t get relegated, but will probably end up slightly lower to where we are now. I really hope I’m proved wrong though, and will keep supporting (miserably) regardless.
BaltimoreBlues

Postby llan bluebird » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:42 pm

This will be another weird closed season as there are loads of players out of contract or with only a year left. With a little bit of decent business we can change the dynamic of the squad.

Ralls and Vaulks are decent workhorses who can hit an average pass and protect the defence. The problem is the 3 centre halfs are so devoid of footballing ability it hurts, so how do you get the ball to the 2 CM's ?????

Most teams who play this formation have wing backs who are basically wingers, we haven't, ours are defenders. So now we are majorly outgunned in the middle third as no one respects or wingbacks. To beef up the middle our attacking midfielder need to drop leaving Keifer isolated.

IMO we need a centre half who can play a bit and 2 right wingbacks if we continue with this system. I'd try perry on the right of the 3, find someone who can play on the left with morrison in the middle
llan bluebird

Postby Escott1927 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:43 pm

BaltimoreBlues wrote:
Crayfish wrote:Have to say I am getting more and more depressed about the thought of Mick McCarthy managing us next season. Expecting a Russel Slade sort of season. Probably be dull and pragmatic enough to avoid being anywhere near relegation but nowhere near good enough to get near the playoffs either

This is how a see next season going as well. We won’t get relegated, but will probably end up slightly lower to where we are now. I really hope I’m proved wrong though, and will keep supporting (miserably) regardless.

I'm thinking along the same lines as both of you. I cant see much changing. We will just continue to grind results out through shear grit, rather than out playing teams.
Escott1927

Postby Welshman in CA » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:52 pm

Let's be honest here, we couldn't win an arse kick contest against a one legged man, we would fall over.
Welshman in CA

Postby montyblue » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:11 pm

If mick is targeting Jordan rhodes next season say no more at least we had some hope before this season started with singing k moore loan h wilson ojo
And still k moore plays 90 mins with no other option tried
yawn yawn for next season.
montyblue

Postby Winchmore Hill Bluebird » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:38 pm

It was still a better performance today, whatever you all espouse above.
Winchmore Hill Bluebird

Postby Paulyblue » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:28 pm

McCarthy was brought in to stop us fighting a relegation battle ..he achieved that. But going forward..the brand of football at the moment is not good enough to compete at the top end of the championship..midfield totally lacking creativity..we need to unearth some quality from somewhere to compete next season but without the financial means to do so..I really hope the youngsters can step up but it's a big ask.
Paulyblue

Postby Scoularite » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:38 pm

Postby Escott1927 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:43 pm

BaltimoreBlues wrote:
Crayfish wrote:
Have to say I am getting more and more depressed about the thought of Mick McCarthy managing us next season. Expecting a Russel Slade sort of season. Probably be dull and pragmatic enough to avoid being anywhere near relegation but nowhere near good enough to get near the playoffs either

I'm thinking along the same lines as both of you. I cant see much changing. We will just continue to grind results out through shear grit, rather than out playing teams.

Think it's too early to really judge as he's currently still basically using an inherited squad. Let's see what he can do changing the squad now that he really knows its limitations, and particularly the lack of creativity in midfield. I think that it would be too much of a step to try to become a team that dominates possession but must not rely on just one creative player or an injury could create chaos again. We also need to continue progress with bringing some youngsters into the squad.
Scoularite

Postby Escott1927 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:06 pm

Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:It was still a better performance today, whatever you all espouse above.

A better performance to what?
Escott1927

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:21 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:It was still a better performance today, whatever you all espouse above.

I actually think we did ok. More shots on target than them. I do agree that there’s a lack of creativity though and this may not be a popular comment but I don’t think thst Wilson was any good tonight. The only time we looked threatening was when Murphy and Ojo came on to support Moore. Ralls and Wilson are NOT partners for Moore.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby skidemin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:57 pm

Escott1927 wrote:

we were playing a side above us who desperately needed a win.... so yes it was better than recent results and performances against sides lower than us...
skidemin

Postby TopCat CCFC » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:07 pm

If that goal had not gone in the last mins remaining - different story .
TopCat CCFC

Postby AfricanBluebird » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:14 am

Glen Williams, who's WOL player ratings have been pretty spot on this season, marked each of the three central midfield players as 5 out of 10. I think he was a little generous for Ralls, who I can't even remember making a pass or tackle.

Playing Ralls, Pack and Vaulks in the centre has NEVER worked. It stifles the little creativity we have and our passing descends into long balls, loose passes and the entire team slows down.

When Murphy came on last night and later Ojo, they did more than the 3 midfielders combined in the previous 70 minutes.

At least one of the three has to be shifted on in the Summer... I would keep Vaulks - his long throws, worldies, energy and general attitude is a real benefit. Pack is just too slow and gives the ball away too much. When he does have time he is good, but time on the ball is a luxury that is rare in the championship. Ralls.. I wouldn't be too disappointed to see him leave. He has done great for us but I just think he has hit a glass ceiling in his development and isn't what we need. If he stays as a back up, fine, but not starting games.

We need two players at least in central midfield. Players comfortable on the ball, who can pass and drive us forward.

I am sick of us conceding so much possession and being so negative. I understand that possession is only a vanity statistic if you don't do much with the ball, but keeping possession when winning is a simple mathematical equation - the opposition can't create chances if you have the ball.

We need a change of approach and start improving our passing and dominance in games, and that won't happen until there are come personnel changes in the centre.
AfricanBluebird

Postby AfricanBluebird » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:15 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:If that goal had not gone in the last mins remaining - different story .

Not really TopCat, it was still a typically negative Cardiff performance even if the equaliser hadn't gone in.
AfricanBluebird

Postby AfricanBluebird » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:20 am

llan bluebird wrote:we also need to try Perry in the back 3, to increase the mobility and footballing ability

Nelson was MoTM, Brown did 'ok' and Flint was pretty good.

Think Ng at the back would be a good call.

However, it doesn't matter how good at passing the defence is if the midfield losses the ball and do nothing with it.
AfricanBluebird

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:30 am

Ned, I agree lately , well the last say 5 games we have lacked creativity and once again last night we created very little again.

Junior Hoilett, Mick seems to not like him??

Lee Tomlin should be now having at least 25mins (£28,000 a week), there must be a p[problem there??

Where are our exciting kids??

In February we were playing exciting football under Big Mick, why has he changed all that???

Football lately boring.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:34 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:Glen Williams, who's WOL player ratings have been pretty spot on this season, marked each of the three central midfield players as 5 out of 10. I think he was a little generous for Ralls, who I can't even remember making a pass or tackle.

Playing Ralls, Pack and Vaulks in the centre has NEVER worked. It stifles the little creativity we have and our passing descends into long balls, loose passes and the entire team slows down.

When Murphy came on last night and later Ojo, they did more than the 3 midfielders combined in the previous 70 minutes.

At least one of the three has to be shifted on in the Summer... I would keep Vaulks - his long throws, worldies, energy and general attitude is a real benefit. Pack is just too slow and gives the ball away too much. When he does have time he is good, but time on the ball is a luxury that is rare in the championship. Ralls.. I wouldn't be too disappointed to see him leave. He has done great for us but I just think he has hit a glass ceiling in his development and isn't what we need. If he stays as a back up, fine, but not starting games.

We need two players at least in central midfield. Players comfortable on the ball, who can pass and drive us forward.

I am sick of us conceding so much possession and being so negative. I understand that possession is only a vanity statistic if you don't do much with the ball, but keeping possession when winning is a simple mathematical equation - the opposition can't create chances if you have the ball.

We need a change of approach and start improving our passing and dominance in games, and that won't happen until there are come personnel changes in the centre.

Perhaps the plan was to stifle them by packing the midfield for 60-70 minutes and then when Reading started to take a few risks (they needed the points more than us) we brought on the two more attacking ‘10’s’. Tbh as soon as the team sheet came out I said this to my mate.
It nearly worked and we were disappointed to draw away at a top side going for the top 6. Game management maybe.
There are counter arguments of ‘why not start with the team we ended with?’ and ‘We have nothing to really play for so why not blood a few kids?’ and they are both valid arguments.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:44 am

Will anything change next season? Last nights game and others mirrored the playing not to lose mentality and he more or less indicated this after the game with his comments! We never looked like scoring until they knew they had to push for the win more than us.....only then did mick put subs on after the obligatory 70mins then and only then did we look like scoring .... very frustrating to watch and he wont last a season if he does this next season unless he does a warnock and get us in the promotion race by xmas
pembroke allan

Next

Return to General Chat