Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Mick McCarthy says: I'm raging "

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:06 pm

'I'm raging!' Mick McCarthy fumes after another late Cardiff City lapse as he makes stark Swansea City point

The Bluebirds manager was furious that his side couldn't hang on to the lead late on for the second game running.

Friday 16th April

A furious Mick McCarthy bemoaned the manner in which Cardiff City fell to yet another late equaliser for the second week running against Reading.

The Bluebirds took the lead in the 87th minute and looked to have sealed all three points when Kieffer Moore slammed home his penalty.

But Yakou Meite had other ideas when the Royals man popped up in the box and headed home with basically the last kick of the match - five minutes into stoppage time.

It was a similar story to last week when Adam Armstrong poked home his second of the match to earn Blackburn Rovers a last-gasp equaliser at Cardiff City Stadium.

And the manager is ruing the four points his team has essentially poured down the drain in the last two matches.

MICK McCARTHY:

"I'm raging," the manager said. "That's how I'm feeling. I'm sick of conceding goals at half-time, full time, full time today.

"I said on Saturday that Blackburn, with their performance, they deserved it, but I'm not bothered about people deserving it, we shouldn't let them off the hook and we did.

"We have done it today. We've been terrific, we've blocked stuff, defended, caught them on the break, we could have scored a couple more in the second half.

"We just let our guard down - again. And I'm raging."

City have just lost that mean streak, that ruthlessness they had before the international break.

Their results since beating Swansea City 1-0 read two defeats and two draws, just two points from a possible 12, and McCarthy is desperate to get his team back to that derby performance.

"I can't criticise the lads for 94 minutes, they've been terrific," he added. "Then they take a throw-in, we let the cross come in, we are not marking when it comes in, you've just got to keep going.

"They've made great blocks, defended superbly well, they've handled what they could throw at us.

"I'm disappointed for the players, they are all raging, they are all sick. We have got to get that out of us.

"Prior to the international break, we saw games out. At Swansea, they were putting us under pressure and we saw it out and won that game 1-0. We've got to get back to that."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Mick McCarthy says: I'm raging "

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:10 pm

I think he needs to go back to setting his team up to win games rather than not lose them .loked like a Harris team tonight

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:52 pm

Without quality in midfield he sets up in a pragmatic way with what we've got. He's rightfully hacked off as we should have done the professional thing and snatched three points today even if undeserved. I also agree with his point about blooding youngsters. Away at Reading and Brentford next week we have turn out our best 11 to compete. We shouldn't forget that Sang and Brown are in the team though and both have come through our youth set up to have a regular run in the team.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:27 pm

We just ran out of steam. Players like Moore needs a game or 2 off to recover and rest up ready for next season. Now more than anything because we are playing for next season and planning for the transfer window.

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:30 pm

So am I. Constantly defending at the end of games. You bring subs on to break up the game and stop momentum. Then you play in their half. 2 minutes into injury time and Moore crossed the ball surely he should go to the corner flag and then get a corner or free kick or throw in. Then you are in their half and see the game out.
I’m raging because we play Ralls in such an unfamiliar position and yet you have 3 wide men on the bench.
I’m raging because we didn’t give our youngsters a chance. That’s just not fair
I’m raging because Junior wound be ideal to see the game out.
Oh yes. I’m raging. 2 points out of 6 instead of 6

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:17 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:Without quality in midfield he sets up in a pragmatic way with what we've got. He's rightfully hacked off as we should have done the professional thing and snatched three points today even if undeserved. I also agree with his point about blooding youngsters. Away at Reading and Brentford next week we have turn out our best 11 to compete. We shouldn't forget that Sang and Brown are in the team though and both have come through our youth set up to have a regular run in the team.

i agree...and you can add Began... he has given more game time to inexperienced youngters in 3 months than the last 6 managers did combined over 9 years and people are slagging him for not playing more... :?

Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:23 am

Yes. But all are defenders. Never creative players. And that’s the difference. Old School managers ALWAYS play safe.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:45 am

Brezza wrote:Yes. But all are defenders. Never creative players. And that’s the difference. Old School managers ALWAYS play safe.

maybe he thinks the more creative youngsters are not as good as what we have out there...would hardly be a shock not having produced any in eons... and dont get this old school guff...fergie was winning titles when older than what Mick is now...

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:20 am

I’m more than raging I had Cardiff 1-0 Moore to score 40/1 weekly £5 bet :banghead:

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:24 am

I think mick has done a good job so far and will judge him fully next season with some of his own players and a full pre season. The main thing that is getting on my nerves with him is his feckin substitutions. With the pandemic and players knackered we are allowed 5 mick! Please feel free to freshen it up a bit when the players are unable to press and run anymore!

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:47 am

Live on Sky: 7:45pm Friday Mar 05 Huddersfield Town 0 Cardiff City 0 :bluebird:

Sat Mar 13 CARDIFF CITY 1 WATFORD 2 :cry: :cry:

7pm Tues Mar 16 CARDIFF CITY 0 STOKE CITY 0 :bluebird:

Live on Sky 5:30pm Sat Mar 20 Swansea City 0 Cardiff City 1 YES :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri Apr 02 CARDIFF CITY 0 NOTTINGHAM FOREST 1 :cry: :cry:

Live on Sky Easter Monday 5pm Apr 05 Sheffield Wednesday 5 Cardiff City 0 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sat Apr 10 CARDIFF CITY 2 BLACKBURN ROVERS 2 :cry:

Friday April 16th Live SKY 6pm Reading 1 Cardiff City 1 :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:36 am

I struggle understand why Mick is raging. When you continue to give possession away the opposite team will continue to have chances, it is inevitable when you do that , it will be flick of a coin if you survive. I was not surprised we let in a late goal. With Swansea we were lucky , Blackburn and Reading result will be the usual result.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:34 pm

skidemin wrote:
EastleighBlue wrote:Without quality in midfield he sets up in a pragmatic way with what we've got. He's rightfully hacked off as we should have done the professional thing and snatched three points today even if undeserved. I also agree with his point about blooding youngsters. Away at Reading and Brentford next week we have turn out our best 11 to compete. We shouldn't forget that Sang and Brown are in the team though and both have come through our youth set up to have a regular run in the team.

i agree...and you can add Began... he has given more game time to inexperienced youngters in 3 months than the last 6 managers did combined over 9 years and people are slagging him for not playing more... :?

I'm

No he hasn't if you look at it more deeply. Neither Sang or Brown really came through our youth system Brown came from somewhere else Wycombe I think and was about 19 or twenty when we signed him.True he did play a few games for the under 23s before being farmed out to Scotland for a couple of seasons before he got in the team. Sang was really a product of Man Utds youth system again he played a few games for our under 23s before being farmed out to Cheltenham. It is stretching a point to describe either as a product of our youth system or even that young.

The only product of our youth system to actually come through is Bagan and he came through under Harris. I have no doubt if Bennet was fit he would be on the bench, probably correctly.

In addition the only reason Sang got a game is both Jordi and Ng were injured and the same with Brown too. Apart from a 3 minute and 10 minute run out for Cowill he has pretty much ignored the under 23s when it comes to actually playing them.

Who are these inexperienced youngsters that you are referring to?

Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:14 pm

Crayfish wrote:
skidemin wrote:

I'm

No he hasn't if you look at it more deeply. Neither Sang or Brown really came through our youth system Brown came from somewhere else Wycombe I think and was about 19 or twenty when we signed him.True he did play a few games for the under 23s before being farmed out to Scotland for a couple of seasons before he got in the team. Sang was really a product of Man Utds youth system again he played a few games for our under 23s before being farmed out to Cheltenham. It is stretching a point to describe either as a product of our youth system or even that young.

The only product of our youth system to actually come through is Bagan and he came through under Harris. I have no doubt if Bennet was fit he would be on the bench, probably correctly.

In addition the only reason Sang got a game is both Jordi and Ng were injured and the same with Brown too. Apart from a 3 minute and 10 minute run out for Cowill he has pretty much ignored the under 23s when it comes to actually playing them.

Who are these inexperienced youngsters that you are referring to?

more deeply...they were academy players when he arrived so picked who he saw as our better academy players.... i doubt where any of them came from was in the equation..... its a shame they are not local but thats nowt to do with the manager.... who are they ? they are who you named...

Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:57 pm

Ciaron Brown was not an academy player who McCarthy spotted when he arrived. It would have been very difficult to spot him as he was playing for Livingston in Scotland. He was recalled by McCarthy as his mate in Scotland told him he was playing well up there. Also he can't fall under any sort of inexperienced youngster catagory as he played around 90 games for Bedford sports and Wealdstone not to mention a couple of seasons in the Scottish premier. Call him a reserve if you wish. Also in football terms 23 is no youngster.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:13 pm

Crayfish wrote:Ciaron Brown was not an academy player who McCarthy spotted when he arrived. It would have been very difficult to spot him as he was playing for Livingston in Scotland. He was recalled by McCarthy as his mate in Scotland told him he was playing well up there. Also he can't fall under any sort of inexperienced youngster catagory as he played around 90 games for Bedford sports and Wealdstone not to mention a couple of seasons in the Scottish premier. Call him a reserve if you wish. Also in football terms 23 is no youngster.

yes he was advised to have him back here to have a look.. which he obviously did... Bedford ? come on mate you know there are different levels ,or where does it stop ? does 100 games in welsh league div3 count as experience when the convo is about a championship club ..had we not loaned him to livingston he would have been in our under 23s... pretty much where he would be now without the injuries and would 100% be another that some think is a hidden gem.... seems to me its just a stick to hit the manager with...