Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff v Sunderland

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:22 pm

Cardiff have played Sunderland at 5 different grounds.

Roker Park, Ninina Park, Stadium of Light, CCS and..................

What's the 5th ground?

Re: Cardiff v Sunderland

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:41 pm

Maine road man city f a cup 71/72

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:46 pm

Wayne 02 wrote:Maine road man city f a cup 71/72
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:17 pm

Played in the afternoon due to the Miners and power workers on strike.. candles ha ha

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:10 am

I went to Maine Road by train that day from Cardiff General ( cant remember if they put on a football special ) - remember drinking bottles of Guinness from about 7.30am on the train. We won 3-1 that day I seem to remember :)

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:02 am

the price made me smile...

One n.p.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:47 pm

Looking at the line up that was a very good Sunderland side which won the cup the following year beating Leeds at their peak. Who, if i remember rightly, we played in the next round in front of 50,000 at Ninian Park.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:57 pm

We've also played Arsenal at 5 grounds. Any more anyone? I bet there must be.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:18 pm

BLUE54 wrote:We've also played Arsenal at 5 grounds. Any more anyone? I bet there must be.

Highbury, Ninian Park, Emirates CCS and Wembley.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:49 pm

On the Sunderland forum they were saying that the crowd for the first game was 39k, up 25 on the previous home game.. such was the magic of the cup.. and it was in those days before the not-CL

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:59 pm

BLUE54 wrote:We've also played Arsenal at 5 grounds. Any more anyone? I bet there must be.

i dont know but possibly White hart lane..Arsenal played over a hundred games there during WW2

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:45 pm

We've played Reading at at least five grounds too.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:38 am

I remember that. I was only 9 at the time so obviously didn't attend but I did attend the first replay 1-1 I think. Talking of playing at other grounds it is hard to believe now that the JBs had a second replay against Palace. On the toss of a coin it would either be played at ground local to Palace (Millwall!!) or Ninian Park. Unsurprisingly there were many problems that night on the Bob Bank. Also we beat Wrexham in the Welsh Cup Final that was played at the Wretch Field

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:33 pm

One of my very first games watching Cardiff and Sunderland at NP in the 80s. The first ever when there was a really big crowd.

I recall there being some big violent scenes behind the Canton stand with bricks being exchanged between the supporters. Sunderland bought thousands that day. I was only about 12 or 13 yo. It was exciting memories.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:32 pm

We've played Coventry at 6 grounds (highfield rd, ricoh, six fields, st andrews, NP and CCS).

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:11 pm

From the station down to Ninian, it was kicking off everywhere.. mad days. Sunderland fans dressed in Clockwork Orange gear, bowlers etc

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:45 pm

City1983 wrote:One of my very first games watching Cardiff and Sunderland at NP in the 80s. The first ever when there was a really big crowd.

I recall there being some big violent scenes behind the Canton stand with bricks being exchanged between the supporters. Sunderland bought thousands that day. I was only about 12 or 13 yo. It was exciting memories.

I think that was the last or last but one game of the season and they needed a point to go up. They had all the grange end and half of the enclosure. They got their point thankfully!

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:35 pm

jackland_bluebird wrote:We've played Coventry at 6 grounds (highfield rd, ricoh, six fields, st andrews, NP and CCS).

Good one that.