Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Football crowds to return today "

Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:30 am

There will be 4,000 fans at Leicester City v Southampton today at Wembley Stadium in the FA Cup semi-finals.

The game, which kicks off at 6.30pm, is part of the UK Government's trial events.

These have already begun, as a reduced crowd of just over 200 people watched the World Snooker Championships at The Crucible in Sheffield on Saturday - organisers are hopeful that the crowd will be at it's full capacity of 980 by the time the final is due to be played in early May.

Other testing events planned by the Government include:

- Spectators at the FA Cup Final in May, where certification will be required

- The above mentioned World Snooker Championships, with the hope of a capacity crowd by the final

- A music gig in Liverpool with a crowd of 5,000 on May 2nd. None of which will have to social distance or wear face coverings, but they will have to show proof of a negative Covid test

- Several more events in Liverpool. Including a business conference, a cinema screening and a nightclub being open for one night

- A mass participation run in Hertfordshire

The Welsh Government are planning to hold several trial events for people of up to 1,000 from this month.

No target date has been announced for similar trials in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Re: " Football crowds to return today "

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:48 am

Meanwhile in Wales, Dictator Drakeford has said previously that there will be no fans allowed back in Wales for the rest of this year.

Thousands can queue outside Primark apparently but nobody is allowed to go to see a football game in Wales.

I'll be voting for the "Anyone but Drakeford" party on 6th May.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:12 am

davids wrote:Meanwhile in Wales, Dictator Drakeford has said previously that there will be no fans allowed back in Wales for the rest of this year.

Thousands can queue outside Primark apparently but nobody is allowed to go to see a football game in Wales.

I'll be voting for the "Anyone but Drakeford" party on 6th May.

I think Mark Drakeford is in a 'no win' situation whatever he does; but to declare his intentions not to allow supporters back in so far in advance is pretty Draconian (or should that be Drakeonian? ;) ) and I think he may well have to rethink his position when/if the EFL (in association with the English authorities) start to allow their clubs to open up again

Either way, no Labour candidate will get my vote, although I will cast it. In a nation full of sheep I doubt it will make too much difference and I only wish we could have another 'kick 'em all out' vote, wherein I would repeat my previous two 'No to WAG' declarations

It's not all been bad but I believe in the Union and the strength of the UK working together as one, despite its occasional flaws and the insane (IMH)) wish of a large number of Scots to break away

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:35 am

Wales just doesnt have the depth of talent so we get hillbilly politics.
Costs to the Taxpayer for Welsh Government is £280M per year.. (Welsh Govt Information Unit).

Anyway, good to see some people getting to a game.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:46 am

rumpo kid wrote:Wales just doesnt have the depth of talent so we get hillbilly politics.
Costs to the Taxpayer for Welsh Government is £280M per year.. (Welsh Govt Information Unit).

Is that all it costs? For an entire country with ~3 million people those costs seem very low. There's football stadiums that get built for double or triple that these days.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:58 am

EastShoreBlue wrote:
rumpo kid wrote:Wales just doesnt have the depth of talent so we get hillbilly politics.

Is that all it costs? For an entire country with ~3 million people those costs seem very low. There's football stadiums that get built for double or triple that these days.

pointless experiment that we had foisted on us...get rid...

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:29 am

EastShoreBlue wrote:

Thats just the cost of their tea coffee and biscuits at their meetings! :D
But its probably just the A.Ms salaries running costs are astrnomic and if labour have their way it will cost more as want more A.Ms as they say more work to do.. :o

Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:51 pm

EastShoreBlue wrote:

Yes, but they’re good. Our shed cost £48M..

Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:16 pm

rumpo kid wrote:
EastShoreBlue wrote:

Yes, but they’re good. Our shed cost £48M..

Aye of course not all stadiums are that pricey. But in the scale of things like this, the financial cost to an entire nation, £280m seems cheap.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:02 pm

Small Steps ;)