Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Wales Super League players will be Banned '

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:24 pm

Uefa president confirms Wales' European Super League players will be banned from Euros and World Cup in stunning outburst

Aleksander Ceferin has spoken about the possibility of European Super League players being banned as early as Euro 2020

19 APR 2021

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has confirmed players involved in the European Super League will be banned from playing in the European Championship and World Cup.

The announcement of the newly-formed breakaway competition has been met with widespread criticism from those who run the game in Europe.

On Monday, Ceferin stated that UEFA were united in their stance against the proposals for the European Super League - which includes Premier League sides Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur.

Players including Gareth Bale, Joe Rodon, Ben Davies, Neco Williams, Daniel James, Dylan Levitt, Ben Woodburn, Aaron Ramsey, Matt Smith, Harry Wilson and Ethan Ampadu now face major uncertainty regarding their international futures.

And he has re-iterated that the governing body of European football will ban players from representing their country at major competitions if they take part in the Super League.

He said: "I cannot stress more strongly UEFA and the footballing world are united against the disgraceful, self-serving proposals we have seen, fuelled purely by greed. It’s a nonsense of a project.

"This idea is a spit in the face for all footballer lovers and our society. We will not allow them to take this away from us."

And when asked if players could be banned as early as the Euro 2020 tournament, Ceferin responded: "We’re still assessing the situation with our legal team. It’s a bit too early.

"We will take all the sanctions that we can… and we will inform you as soon as we have a clear answer. My opinion is that, as soon as possible, the players have to be banned from all our competitions."

In addition to opening up on the impending legal battle that will be required, Ceferin also launched an extraordinary attack on Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and Juventus' former ECA [European Club Association] chairman Andrea Agnelli.

"I was a criminal lawyer for 24 years but I’ve never, ever, seen people like that," said Ceferin.

"If I start with Ed Woodward, he called me last Thursday, saying that he’s very satisfied with reforms and he fully supports them. Obviously, he already signed something else.

"Andrea Agnelli is the biggest disappointment of all."

Wales begin their Euro 2020 campaign against Switzerland on June 12 at the Olympic Stadium in Baku, Azerbaijan.

They then face Turkey on June 16 at the same venue before ending the group stage against Italy in Rome four days later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Wales Super League players will be Banned '

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:44 pm

As soon as this hair brained scheme was announced I thought how much more this would affect Wales and other smaller nations obvious country’s with a larger player pool would be better off
Just hope this does get off the ground :banghead:

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:46 pm

Sorry Does NOT get started

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:13 pm

Shocking this as it's not the players who have asked for this - But the many oversea owners in This Country from the clubs wanting to take part in this .

So unless they move to a club who are not in this league ....That's the end of their International career ????

This is all about the owners of their clubs :(

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:41 pm

He'll calm down eventually & realize he can't be blaming the players and punishing them for something they had nothing to do with.

Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:55 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:He'll calm down eventually & realize he can't be blaming the players and punishing them for something they had nothing to do with.

Let's hope so - that's my point ;)

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:08 am

Welshman in CA wrote:He'll calm down eventually & realize he can't be blaming the players and punishing them for something they had nothing to do with.

the players no doubt feel the same as most and are therefore being punished by their clubs who are taking them outside the governance of UEFA and FIFA..if youve a contract at 1 of these 6 clubs youll be expected to play where told...and not play where youd prefer..... you cant seriously then blame uefa. its an unfortunate inconvenience but they can move clubs....

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:03 am

I'm with UEFA on this actually.

This will give further encouragement to the top players to leave these clubs.

There are still big clubs not in the Super League and they can go and play for them - PSG, Bayern Munich etc.

All these top players have very good agents and will be able to get out of their contracts.

Without the top players, this league will be nothing. Nobody will watch it, even their target audience of being in China/USA and places like that.

I highly doubt many of these players will want to play in this Super League anyway. The vast majority will be as disgusted about it as we all are.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:23 am

If these players are proud Welshmen then they have the option to move to a non-super league club as stated above. If they prefer to stay at Liverpool Manchester United etc. then hard luck on them they are banned.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:43 am

It will be a be tough on the players but the right decision for football in the long term

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:36 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:If these players are proud Welshmen then they have the option to move to a non-super league club as stated above. If they prefer to stay at Liverpool Manchester United etc. then hard luck on them they are banned.

I doubt they'll get chance to move before the Euro's, even those at clubs who would willingly see the back of them. Real and Juve may think they've got a chance get shot of Bale and Ramsey with a reduced payoff. But it'll be brinksmanship right up to the 11th hour. I doubt anyone would forego many millions simply to turn out for their country in front of a few dozen welsh fans in god forsaken Baku.

As for the likes of Wilson, Ampadu, James, Neco, Levitt, Woodburn and possibly Davies, then the clubs will want the best possible price for them and that usually comes at the other end of the transfer window. On a more positive note the only one I see probably see playing in this " league " come sept is Roden. Going forward of course there's a number of promising youngsters on the books at these clubs. So not so bad for the world cup qualifiers or next nations league but not as good looking forward.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:07 am

epping blue wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:If these players are proud Welshmen then they have the option to move to a non-super league club as stated above. If they prefer to stay at Liverpool Manchester United etc. then hard luck on them they are banned.

I doubt they'll get chance to move before the Euro's, even those at clubs who would willingly see the back of them. Real and Juve may think they've got a chance get shot of Bale and Ramsey with a reduced payoff. But it'll be brinksmanship right up to the 11th hour. I doubt anyone would forego many millions simply to turn out for their country in front of a few dozen welsh fans in god forsaken Baku.

As for the likes of Wilson, Ampadu, James, Neco, Levitt, Woodburn and possibly Davies, then the clubs will want the best possible price for them and that usually comes at the other end of the transfer window. On a more positive note the only one I see probably see playing in this " league " come sept is Roden. Going forward of course there's a number of promising youngsters on the books at these clubs. So not so bad for the world cup qualifiers or next nations league but not as good looking forward.

I fully agree that it is unlikely that players will forego millions of £'s so they can play for Wales, we saw something similar Welsh Rugby players who took up lucrative contracts in England and France. They did so knowing they would probably lose their place in Welsh squads due to the Gatland Rule (or whatever it was called) which limited the number of players which could be selected from those playing outside of Wales.

I think most players will be safe for the Euro's but bans will start to come into force from the 2022 World Cup. I still say if those players wish to chase the money then they must be prepared to face the consequences

Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:11 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:I'm with UEFA on this actually.

This will give further encouragement to the top players to leave these clubs.

There are still big clubs not in the Super League and they can go and play for them - PSG, Bayern Munich etc.

All these top players have very good agents and will be able to get out of their contracts.

Without the top players, this league will be nothing. Nobody will watch it, even their target audience of being in China/USA and places like that.

I highly doubt many of these players will want to play in this Super League anyway. The vast majority will be as disgusted about it as we all are.

that is all true, but the likelihood of them being able to sign a new contract outside the transfer window elsewhere in time to play in the Euros is pretty much a non starter...

Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:35 am

Agreed. f**k the super league and anyone that supports it.

They'll be plenty on here that do mind, namely the red brigade.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:23 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:Shocking this as it's not the players who have asked for this - But the many oversea owners in This Country from the clubs wanting to take part in this .

So unless they move to a club who are not in this league ....That's the end of their International career ????

This is all about the owners of their clubs :(

Problem for the players is fifa and UEFA can prevent anyone from playing for their countries if they participate in a competition not sanctioned by them? Not fair on players but owners couldn't care less about international careers unless players stand up and say will seek transfer
from club! as its about them making money no players like messi means no coverage in far east markets that will make them think twice.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:15 pm

Guess players could get out their contracts if this were to happen, given a period of time some others clubs would grow to be as good as the 6 leaving

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:13 pm

Then again ....it might not happen :o

Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:30 pm

;)