Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW: TONIGHT SAME OLD STORY CARDIFF TONIGHT / WITH PROM

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:48 pm

MY VIEW / OPINION:

TONIGHT SAME OLD STORY CARDIFF TONIGHT / WITH PROMOTION ALREADY OVER CITY TOOK THE LEAD / BUT THEN FAILED TO WIN THE GAME.

Why NO Cardiff City 17,18,& 19 year old Cardiff players playing in these games???

Cardiff City battled so hard and looked a real handful at times :bluebird:

Kieffer Moore was subbed 81st min, looked injured? :cry:

Tom Sang went off injured :cry:

Jonny Williams came on for last 3mins.

Cardiff City struggling now to get a win since beating Swansea :cry:

Brentford had only won one game in their last six games and could only draw with Millwall on Saturday.

Brentford were looking to complete their first league double over Cardiff since the 1994-95 season.

Over all Brentford created most of the clear cut chances and even though Smithies tonight made a bad blunder, he also saved them from defeat :thumbright: :bluebird:

First-half: First 25 mins Cardiff were by far the better team, then Brentford took more control of the half and should of scored at least one goal, errors by City and a brilliant save by Smithies.

Brentford had the better of the chances, two big opportunities falling to Forss.

Second-half: What a blunder by Cardiff goalie Smithies tonight, but he also made some good saves.

BRENTFORD 1 CARDIFF CITY 1 :bluebird: :bluebird:
H-T 0-0

Smithies; Nelson, Flint, Brown; Sang, Vaulks, Pack, Ng; Ralls, Wilson, Moore.

Subs: Phillips, Osei-Tutu, Bacuna, Williams, Hoilett, Ojo, Murphy, Harris, Watters.

Brentford created the best chances after Cardiff had looked good for the first 25mins.

Brentford could of been 2nil up.

Brentford had the better of the chances, two big opportunities falling to Forss.

Over all not a bad half by Cardiff :bluebird:

H-T 0-0

57th min, handball by Brentford, perfect penalty by Kiether Moore 0-1 :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

63rd min 1-1 :cry: :cry: City keeper Smithies drops the ball, what a howler / unbelievable dropped the ball :shock: :cry:

Tariqe Fosu shot from 25 yards, straight at the City goalkeeper, but he fumbles the ball into the back of the net. That was so, so poor. :cry: :cry:

73 min No youngsters

Subs:

Wilson off, Bacuna on.

Pack off, Ojo on.

78th min Smithies another good save :bluebird:

81st min: Subs

Perry Ng off, Osei-Tutu on.

Kieffer Moore off, Josh Murphy on.

87th min Williams on for Sang.

UP NEXT WYCOMBE WANDERERS HOME THIS SATURDAY 3PM :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MY VIEW: TONIGHT SAME OLD STORY CARDIFF TONIGHT / WITH P

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:51 pm

:bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:56 pm

Does this mean we will not be invited into the super league ?

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:56 pm

Decent performance.

Defended very well and caused a very good team some problems.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:03 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Does this mean we will not be invited into the super league ?

Thankfully, we won't; but Swansea 'fans' (very loose term) asking if they can take ManUre's place on account they have American owners...? :? :lol: :lol:

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Sat Apr 24 CARDIFF CITY v WYCOMBE WANDERERS

Sat May 01 Birmingham City v Cardiff City

12:30pm Sat May 08 CARDIFF CITY v ROTHERHAM UNITED

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:05 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Does this mean we will not be invited into the super league ?

:lol: :lol:

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:06 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Decent performance.

Yes not a bad away draw, but Brentford have only won 1 game in their last 7 now Ned and are becoming draw experts.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:06 pm

I think the headline is a bit unfair. We didn't win because of Smithies, it was not the teams fault. That error was atrocious. He's all over the place with confidence right now. We actually battled really well against a quality team and looked decent on the counter. I dont agree with putting youngsters in for the sake of it and tonight we had to play our best team to be competitive. Changes will have to come on the weekend as a few looked injured at the end.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:07 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Decent performance.

Ned, I agree; and in a game we had little to gain from other than confidence :clap:

Shooting apart, we can be relatively happy tonight and even Smithies did well one moment apart...

Some things (errors) you just can't explain or account for but I'd have taken a point before the game :thumbright:

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:10 pm

Updated:

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:12 pm

Reply FB:

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:15 pm

Replies FB:

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:33 pm

Played a lot better than previous games cannot count for smithies bloomer.... but another problem is the subs? ffs brentford were chasing game and points .....why oh why does he insist on waiting until 70mins to bring on 2 pacy players to instigate counter attacks? It was to late as brentford had changed way they played so making subs useless....
As for youngsters city have a duty to the league opposition to play best side if possible considering what was at stake for Swansea Watford over brentford result... no excuse next 3 games for not playing other 2/3 youngsters or using subs before 70mins. :old:

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:37 pm

I initially though very defensive set up but take it back we gave brentford a game and to me dropped 2 points between this game and throwing reading away we could have had 6 points out of these 2 games .

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:38 pm

montyblue wrote:I initially though very defensive set up but take it back we gave brentford a game and to me dropped 2 points between this game and throwing reading away we could have had 6 points out of these 2 games .

Agree :thumbup:

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:50 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Played a lot better than previous games cannot count for smithies bloomer.... but another problem is the subs? ffs brentford were chasing game and points .....why oh why does he insist on waiting until 70mins to bring on 2 pacy players to instigate counter attacks? It was to late as brentford had changed way they played so making subs useless....
As for youngsters city have a duty to the league opposition to play best side if possible considering what was at stake for Swansea Watford over brentford result... no excuse next 3 games for not playing other 2/3 youngsters or using subs before 70mins. :old:

So how are teams meant to develop their youth players then? Our next 3 games effect who goes down. Surely those games have just as much at stake as to who goes up? Giving colwill or watters etc a run for 15mins is hardly a disservice to the league.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:56 pm

Much better performance tonight. We still give the ball away far too easily and often though. A ball playing CB and creative CM should be top of the shopping list in the summer.

Regarding smithies, it was an absolute howler yes. But he did pull off some good saves tonight. Mistakes from keepers often lead to goals. Unforgiving position to play in.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:07 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:I think the headline is a bit unfair. We didn't win because of Smithies, it was not the teams fault. That error was atrocious. He's all over the place with confidence right now. We actually battled really well against a quality team and looked decent on the counter. I dont agree with putting youngsters in for the sake of it and tonight we had to play our best team to be competitive. Changes will have to come on the weekend as a few looked injured at the end.

Totally agree MM has said he has a duty to all the other clubs to and try and win games, not giving kids a try and surrendering points just to give them minutes. The time to introduce youngsters is in a winning situation not against a top side who is giving you a battering

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:26 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Played a lot better than previous games cannot count for smithies bloomer.... but another problem is the subs? ffs brentford were chasing game and points .....why oh why does he insist on waiting until 70mins to bring on 2 pacy players to instigate counter attacks? It was to late as brentford had changed way they played so making subs useless....

So how are teams meant to develop their youth players then? Our next 3 games effect who goes down. Surely those games have just as much at stake as to who goes up? Giving colwill or watters etc a run for 15mins is hardly a disservice to the league.

People are talking of playing them from start we have couple playing already add 2 or 3 and got 50% of team as academy players? Playing them for 15 mins is fine but would it serve a purpose other than giving them time on pitch considering we dont exactly have good possession time... dont you consider 5 players from academy is weakening team no matter what time you play them during game? In fact more likely to lose game bringing them on with 20mins to go bet team relegated because opponents won because we played 20 mins with 5 academy players will be delighted for the kids? :old: there as been opportunities to give them game time individually but mick as not taken it so why would he do it at important stage of season for clubs

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:42 pm

Escott1927 wrote:

the answer to the question is certainly not throwing them into games if the manager does not think they are good enough or ready.... does more harm than good.... it can negatively effect the boys and have a negative effect on the senior players / team ... its not jim ll fix it .. if good enough they will no doubt get some minutes but i proper do not get people with zero experience of what is and is not ready or good enough pretending they do....

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:46 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

People are talking of playing them from start we have couple playing already add 2 or 3 and got 50% of team as academy players? Playing them for 15 mins is fine but would it serve a purpose other than giving them time on pitch considering we dont exactly have good possession time... dont you consider 5 players from academy is weakening team no matter what time you play them during game? In fact more likely to lose game bringing them on with 20mins to go bet team relegated because opponents won because we played 20 mins with 5 academy players will be delighted for the kids? :old: there as been opportunities to give them game time individually but mick as not taken it so why would he do it at important stage of season for clubs

I wouldnt want to see 2 or 3 added and I dont expect it to happen either as it would be pretty extreme and disruptive to the starting 11. But I would like to see one of our creative midfielders play in an advanced role instead of ralls or bacuna who are clearly not attacking midfielders. Maybe our youngsters couldn't inject a bit of creativity or pace that the team lacks. I would also like to see Moore rested at some point and watters given a run. The club have a duty to the league but they also have a duty to advance as a club. That involves developing youth. To do that they need to be playing as much as possible.

I couldn't give a toss if derby fans were unhappy because we played 1 or 2 youngsters and lost. I'd rather see us prepare our most promising youngsters for first team football to be honest.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:52 pm

Decent performance against a talented and better team than us. But for the mistakes Brentford didn't trouble us. Pack pass back and of course the goal were down to us. Jordi looked sharp and look forward to him starting on sat.

Biggest disappointment for me was lack of youth. I would have started colwill ahead of Wilson we.need to see what he can do us a few more on bench. Why junior when it's evident he is not in micks plans. Very strange to keep same team

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:17 am

Updated:

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:36 am

65Blue wrote:
EastleighBlue wrote:I think the headline is a bit unfair. We didn't win because of Smithies, it was not the teams fault. That error was atrocious. He's all over the place with confidence right now. We actually battled really well against a quality team and looked decent on the counter. I dont agree with putting youngsters in for the sake of it and tonight we had to play our best team to be competitive. Changes will have to come on the weekend as a few looked injured at the end.

Totally agree MM has said he has a duty to all the other clubs to and try and win games, not giving kids a try and surrendering points just to give them minutes. The time to introduce youngsters is in a winning situation not against a top side who is giving you a battering
e

You may not have noticed by Brentford are not giving anyone a battering these days going in to last nights match they had only one once in the last seven games they are as bad at winning games as us. No one is suggesting putting in youngsters for the sake of it we are suggesting putting in a couple of youngsters because they look like potentially really good players. Some of us don't really see the point of playing a couple of players who will not be with us next season.

I honestly now think McCarthy is not playing the youngsters because he has the sort of pig headed stubborn mentality that if the fans and press suggest he does something he won't do it because I am the manager and I know best. That was certainly the opinion of Ipswich fans and I am starting to come round to their point of view.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:47 am

Crayfish wrote:
65Blue wrote:

e

You may not have noticed by Brentford are not giving anyone a battering these days going in to last nights match they had only one once in the last seven games they are as bad at winning games as us. No one is suggesting putting in youngsters for the sake of it we are suggesting putting in a couple of youngsters because they look like potentially really good players. Some of us don't really see the point of playing a couple of players who will not be with us next season.

I honestly now think McCarthy is not playing the youngsters because he has the sort of pig headed stubborn mentality that if the fans and press suggest he does something he won't do it because I am the manager and I know best. That was certainly the opinion of Ipswich fans and I am starting to come round to their point of view.

Absolutely spot on about Brentford, they have not been doing well for a long time.

It’s now 1 win in their last 7 games, they have been drawing a lot with a lot of clubs lower than us in the League.

And yes we have given away the lead / 2pts yet again.

But we did play a lot better last night :bluebird: