Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Prospects - next year ‘

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:07 pm

Ok we have missed out on the play offs.

But what of next year??

We have an experienced manager and assistant, who have now had ample opportunity to assess the team.
Success is built on the foundation of a good defence. I think we have one. It was looking a bit long in the tooth but the inclusion of Ng (good buy by Harris) and Sang and Brown has made it not only more youthful but equally as effective.
Forgetting tonights blunder, we have 2 decent goalies. We also have a very good 9 in Moore.
Additionally we have “allegedly” a bunch of promising youngsters.
I think the midfield needs attention at least one new player there. Bacuna and Vaulks are ok for next year, but I believe we need a change from Pack. (Sorry to keep picking on him). There also appear to be about 4 other fringe first team players that M Mc C can use to provide some funds.

Also he has decisions to make Wilson? Ojo?

All in all if we make a decent start next season then play-offs should be a minimum.
The future looks bright....for the Bluebirds?!? :bluebird:

Re: ‘ Prospects - next year ‘

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:40 pm

I agree next season is promising.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:23 pm

I disagree. I believe next year will be a struggle for the fans and the club.

The powers that be will wrongly believe we will be successful purely with kids. The powers that be will believe that we will 'pluck' lower league talent based on whims. The powers that be will believe that a tiny squad is fine because even more youngsters can step in if there are Injuries.

If that's it, then that's it. But I won't allow the board, the committee or whoever oversees the squad in terms of ability and size ( and it's certainly not McCarthy) to tell me that we are doing anything more than surviving, and that we have 'ambition'

Shoot me down for my views, they are said as a passionate supporter who feels let down. How can we, a club, who have twice been in the PL, twice had parachute payments lag so far behind clubs who have had nowhere near the money we have had.

How can we have mismanaged so badly the exposure we have had since our fa cup final appearance?

Even given for the pandemic, we have failed where other clubs have succeeded.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:02 pm

Barclay1 wrote:I disagree. I believe next year will be a struggle for the fans and the club.

The powers that be will wrongly believe we will be successful purely with kids. The powers that be will believe that we will 'pluck' lower league talent based on whims. The powers that be will believe that a tiny squad is fine because even more youngsters can step in if there are Injuries.

If that's it, then that's it. But I won't allow the board, the committee or whoever oversees the squad in terms of ability and size ( and it's certainly not McCarthy) to tell me that we are doing anything more than surviving, and that we have 'ambition'

Shoot me down for my views, they are said as a passionate supporter who feels let down. How can we, a club, who have twice been in the PL, twice had parachute payments lag so far behind clubs who have had nowhere near the money we have had.

How can we have mismanaged so badly the exposure we have had since our fa cup final appearance?

Short termism from our club and managers because of the impatience and fickleness of our fans.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:28 pm

Interesting to see what players we get in and let go next season .

Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:43 pm

maccydee wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:I disagree. I believe next year will be a struggle for the fans and the club.

Short termism from our club and managers because of the impatience and fickleness of our fans.

It's great having such a game like football where everyone as the same aim and thats wanting success.... and when dont get it someone is to blame? What's success brentford always held up as a successful club and we should be like them ? They have been in playoffs 9 times and failed every time, Is that what you call success compared to us? Yes we keep making so called mistakes but in reality been more successful than lots clubs! but admit things could and should been better given the money available but as we know money does not garauntee success.
Not sure about prospects next season but being optimistic is better description..

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:02 am

If what I am hearing up to 6 17,18 & 19 yr olds will form part of our first team Championship squad of around 22 players, as we are not really seeing what they are capable of and they have struggled sometimes in their u18’s and u23 leagues v League 1 & 2, I am a bit worried??

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:10 am

Hasn’t Mick already said that we won’t be seeing any of the loanees we currently have back next season??

It is a shame as I think Harry Wilson fits into our squad perfectly

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:15 am

Lengee wrote:Ok we have missed out on the play offs.

But what of next year??

We have an experienced manager and assistant, who have now had ample opportunity to assess the team.
Success is built on the foundation of a good defence. I think we have one. It was looking a bit long in the tooth but the inclusion of Ng (good buy by Harris) and Sang and Brown has made it not only more youthful but equally as effective.
Forgetting tonights blunder, we have 2 decent goalies. We also have a very good 9 in Moore.
Additionally we have “allegedly” a bunch of promising youngsters.
I think the midfield needs attention at least one new player there. Bacuna and Vaulks are ok for next year, but I believe we need a change from Pack. (Sorry to keep picking on him). There also appear to be about 4 other fringe first team players that M Mc C can use to provide some funds.

Also he has decisions to make Wilson? Ojo?

All in all if we make a decent start next season then play-offs should be a minimum.
The future looks bright....for the Bluebirds?!? :bluebird:

How many times: Neil Harris did not buy Perry NG; it wasn't his decision...

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:31 am

Compared to 30yrs ago I'm always optimistic about the new season,something any real fan would know.Now if I was a fan of Derby or the Scabs or Brum I would get the point of the deliberately obtuse one but in this division our prospects are better than the majority.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:19 am

My problem with your completely over optimistic assessment is we seem completely unable to actually win a game with our wonderful defence and marvellous centre forward. To even make the playoffs you have to win games and since the great run of wins we seem incapable of doing it. In fact our only two recent wins were against effectively a reserve Derby side who decided to throw a midweek game in the hope of winning a Saturday game and surviving a siege against Swanse.

Sorry to say I am losing faith in McCarthy with every passing game. He keeps on playing Wilson and Ojo though there is zero chance of either being with us next season,what is the point of that now we have noe chance of the playoffs? He seems to have zero interest in playing any youngsters. He admits Moore is exhausted yet plays him for the entire ninety minutes every game never giving either Watters or Harris a chance.

Sorry to say it and I thought McCarthy was an ok appointment to start with paticularly after our good run but I am starting to agree with the Ipswich fans who said he is too inflexible and set in his ways. Don't think we will be anywhere near the playoffs next season though he will probably be experienced enough to keep us up. The football will not be easy on the eye.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:31 am

Crayfish wrote:My problem with your completely over optimistic assessment is we seem completely unable to actually win a game with our wonderful defence and marvellous centre forward. To even make the playoffs you have to win games and since the great run of wins we seem incapable of doing it. In fact our only two recent wins were against effectively a reserve Derby side who decided to throw a midweek game in the hope of winning a Saturday game and surviving a siege against Swanse.

Sorry to say I am losing faith in McCarthy with every passing game. He keeps on playing Wilson and Ojo though there is zero chance of either being with us next season,what is the point of that now we have noe chance of the playoffs? He seems to have zero interest in playing any youngsters. He admits Moore is exhausted yet plays him for the entire ninety minutes every game never giving either Watters or Harris a chance.

Sorry to say it and I thought McCarthy was an ok appointment to start with paticularly after our good run but I am starting to agree with the Ipswich fans who said he is too inflexible and set in his ways. Don't think we will be anywhere near the playoffs next season though he will probably be experienced enough to keep us up. The football will not be easy on the eye.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. I still think well be right back to square one when he leaves- a team full of grafters built to grind out results.

I am always hopeful every summer though. I guess we'll see which way it is going by the people he brings in.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:17 pm

I do think that next season could be quite difficult, however, a lot of other clubs will also have similar problems.

Even the clubs coming down, Sheffield, West Brom and Fulham will have some significant problems hanging on to their better players and the number of loans they have.

I have an open mind about McCarthy. As a short-term measure I was all for it, however now that he has signed a longer contract my expectations are a lot higher and he needs to work quickly or, at least, efficiently in the transfer market.

Whatever people think about Wilson he is going to take a lot of replacing and it's a long time since we had quality like that in our squad.

Of course, now more than ever, we are dependent on Tan's ability/willingness to give McCarthy money to spend but as well as other positions we'll need at least 4 wingers. Wilson and Ojo going back to LFC, Murphy has proved we just can't rely on him and Hoilett likely to leave. That's some expenditure in either fees or wages so things are certainly going to be tough.

For now I am happy to give McCarthy a chance to work some miracles in the transfer window, but he's got his work cut out !!

Once we've seen what we've got to start the season with we'll have a better idea of where we can pitch our expectations.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:45 pm

Forever Blue » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:02 am

If what I am hearing up to 6 17,18 & 19 yr olds will form part of our first team Championship squad of around 22 players, as we are not really seeing what they are capable of and they have struggled sometimes in their u18’s and u23 leagues v League 1 & 2, I am a bit worried??

Agree, but we also need to see if the creative weakness in the middle of the pitch is addressed somehow. As it looks like the current loanees will be gone maybe Mick will look for more creativity and ball control from the next batch. The likely loss of Harry Wilson will be a real challenge though.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:00 pm

Crayfish wrote:My problem with your completely over optimistic assessment is we seem completely unable to actually win a game with our wonderful defence and marvellous centre forward. To even make the playoffs you have to win games and since the great run of wins we seem incapable of doing it. In fact our only two recent wins were against effectively a reserve Derby side who decided to throw a midweek game in the hope of winning a Saturday game and surviving a siege against Swanse.

Despite the season petering out for us I think the gaffer has done well to turn the confidence of the players around who were bereft of that when he took over.In my opinion the loss of Bennet,NG and Bagan put paid to our playoff hopes as they were just as effective going forward as genuine wing backstabbing on the left and Sang on the right are not as good.I think you gotta give the guy a chance and at least one window.If by Christmas we are still not performing then I too will be spitting my dummy out and grizzling for the manager to go.Not as if Ipswich fans knew what they were talking about either.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:32 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:

Despite the season petering out for us I think the gaffer has done well to turn the confidence of the players around who were bereft of that when he took over.In my opinion the loss of Bennet,NG and Bagan put paid to our playoff hopes as they were just as effective going forward as genuine wing backstabbing on the left and Sang on the right are not as good.I think you gotta give the guy a chance and at least one window.If by Christmas we are still not performing then I too will be spitting my dummy out and grizzling for the manager to go.Not as if Ipswich fans knew what they were talking about either.

how we do next season really depends what the budget is.... as for Ipswich fans { like ours } the vast majority are not precious dummy spitters who expect silk purses out of sows ears...most of what i read was he had done a good job keeping them stable under difficult circumstances with no money. { think the fact he was there 6 years speaks volumes.... of course the few that couldnt see it are now doubling down despite having swapped mid table championship for lge1...

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:35 pm

Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:I agree next season is promising.

I’m certainly glass half empty as without 4-5 new decent players at this level in central and wide midfield and another forward we’ll have another similar season - peaks and troughs.

City have scored 2 goals from open play since they beat Derby. That is indicative of the lack of creativity in central midfield. Ralls, Vaulks, Pack and Bacuna create very little. That part of the team needs serious surgery.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:51 pm

Not good if MM doesn't learn how to adapt to situations and become flexible in his approach.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:14 pm

Middlesbrough just released Britt Assombalonga and Ashley Fletcher both decent forwards and freebies. Wonder if MM will be interested in either.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:23 pm

castleblue wrote:Middlesbrough just released Britt Assombalonga and Ashley Fletcher both decent forwards and freebies. Wonder if MM will be interested in either.

The latter yes but injury prone but not the former who's wages probably are prohibitive.
Still reckon Rhodes is worth a squad place of his wages aren’t silly.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:18 pm

Danny Says wrote:
castleblue wrote:Middlesbrough just released Britt Assombalonga and Ashley Fletcher both decent forwards and freebies. Wonder if MM will be interested in either.

The latter yes but injury prone but not the former who's wages probably are prohibitive.

;)

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:44 am

I've said before that our home results have let us down this season, 9 home defeats is very poor. On the other hand, our away record stands up to any of the top six bar Norwich who have been superb all season. Out of the current top 6 we've won at 3 of them and got creditable draws against the other 2. Hopefully next season crowds will be back and I'm pretty sure our home record will not be as bad.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:45 am

Danny Says wrote:

I would take Fletcher over Rhodes to be honest but would get behind either of them if they were brought in :bluescarf: