Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

OUR STYLE OF PLAY

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:35 pm

Has it improved?

And what is it exactly? :?:

Re: OUR STYLE OF PLAY

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:05 am

Nah.. only ever one team trying to play, and it’s not us.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:06 am

Last night seemed to be more of sit and defend and lump it anywhere forward..... there’s no way we can sit and defend solidly for 90 mins without conceding, even if Mozza was in the team. We’ve got to get out of the habit of lumping it up field and giving possession away, yes there are times when a lump forward is needed but not all the time.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:13 am

Our 'style' has been similar under the last three or four managers. It will take a seismic change of personnel to alter our direction and the choice of manager reflects that

The big difference to most supporters is simply results. If, as was the norm under our two most successful managers in the last 10 years or so, we won a lot of games by a single, well defended goal, most would be happy...

But currently, we are not and we are giving away daft/needless goals to boot; so (like the manager) the supporters aren't happy

Mick was the best thing since sliced bread for 12 unbeaten games and got a Manager of the Month Award against some strong competition. We weren't 'outstanding', we were resolute as a team and worked hard for our opportunities; a lot of which Keiffer Moore in particular put away

We have not had the rub of the green since then and it shows in supporter reactions. That's all just a little fairweather and a lot unfair, as the current 'style' hasn't changed; just the end product points-wise

To me, the grafters in the team (main striker Keiffer Moore in particular) look tired right now and we have no one of note to share the load, thanks to injuries and/or poor recruitment

Hopefully, next season, the manager will change things around personnel-wise, but I just don't see our so-called 'style' changing any time soon...

Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:43 am

Sven wrote:Our 'style' has been similar under the last three or four managers. It will take a seismic change of personnel to alter our direction and the choice of manager reflects that

The big difference to most supporters is simply results. If, as was the norm under our two most successful managers in the last 10 years or so, we won a lot of games by a single, well defended goal, most would be happy...

But currently, we are not and we are giving away daft/needless goals to boot; so (like the manager) the supporters aren't happy

Mick was the best thing since sliced bread for 12 unbeaten games and got a Manager of the Month Award against some strong competition. We weren't 'outstanding', we were resolute as a team and worked hard for our opportunities; a lot of which Keiffer Moore in particular put away

We have not had the rub of the green since then and it shows in supporter reactions. That's all just a little fairweather and a lot unfair, as the current 'style' hasn't changed; just the end product points-wise

To me, the grafters in the team (main striker Keiffer Moore in particular) look tired right now and we have no one of note to share the load, thanks to injuries and/or poor recruitment

Hopefully, next season, the manager will change things around personnel-wise, but I just don't see our so-called 'style' changing any time soon...

I thought last night was a lot better in way we played especially going forward ? Or was I and the ex player pundit commentating watching a different game because he praised some of our play throughout game....
But your right win and be good performance draw lose not so good but people are forgetting who we played last two games regardless of their present form ... cant say we were in good form playing them.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:21 am

Sven wrote:Our 'style' has been similar under the last three or four managers. It will take a seismic change of personnel to alter our direction and the choice of manager reflects that

I dont think it would take a complete overhaul to change it. Definitely need an experienced manager though. Flint, morrison, brown and Nelson are no nonsense defenders. Clearly happier to get rid rather than walk/play it out. Vaulks, ralls, bacuna and pack (pack is slightly different) are ball winners there to break up play. They are not quick or creative enough to play advanced midfield roles. Harris got slated for playing ralls there and mick is doing the same.

Personally, I think You would only need to add 2 CM and 2 CB to the starting 11 who are better on the ball and then build the team around them to play a better passing game. I hate the way we play, as we've seen with warnock and mick, it is only tolerated when winning. Which is completely unrealistic.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:46 am

pembroke allan wrote:

I thought last night was a lot better in way we played especially going forward ? Or was I and the ex player pundit commentating watching a different game because he praised some of our play throughout game....
But your right win and be good performance draw lose not so good but people are forgetting who we played last two games regardless of their present form ... cant say we were in good form playing them.

Allan, I alluded elsewhere we played well last night (shooting apart) and my main point was, as you say, the fickleness of some supporters (or maybe not) solely based on results rather than actual performances :thumbright:

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:16 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Allan, I alluded elsewhere we played well last night (shooting apart) and my main point was, as you say, the fickleness of some supporters (or maybe not) solely based on results rsther than actual performances :thumbright:

Why should we play like every other team in league.... All you hear is why cant we play like this club or that club? Simple answer is football is about different styles tactics ect how many of the clubs they want us to play like have been as successful as us for promotion or league position playing our way! Outside relegated teams from Premier league with better squads very few if anyone .... yes love to play like man c or other teams like them but we don't.... anyway some teams like Fulham are great for insomnia way they play...:old:

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:35 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Allan, I alluded elsewhere we played well last night (shooting apart) and my main point was, as you say, the fickleness of some supporters (or maybe not) solely based on results rsther than actual performances :thumbright:

i thought the performance last night was good.... the style might not be to some peoples liking but we set out our stall and performed our game plan better than they performed theirs ?

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:44 pm

skidemin wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

i thought the performance last night was good.... the style might not be to some peoples liking but we set out our stall and performed our game plan better than they performed theirs ?

Agree and at no point did I criticise last night's performance; just stated that we have a had a consistent style of play for some time and the criticisms only see to come when results are not with us, which is two sides of the same coin

Personally, I'd love to be all out attack (why I enjoyed the Dave Jones era) but my overriding preference is for what Neil ap Warnock called "winning football...", as ultimately that's what gets points and prizes :D

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 pm

Our style was direct and attacking when we were winning. The problems when we lost our full backs we played a L2 centre half and an unproven central midfielder.

Another CB, and 2 wing backs and we are nearly there.

I don't believe the midfield is as bad as most make out, although i wouldn't mind if Pack and Bacuna find other clubs.

The issue is we have no width or pace since Bagan/Bennett got injured. NG did a decent job because he is a very decent player but not a wingback.

Drop NG into the back 3, mozza in the middle with another CB and the team dynamic changes even with Vaulks & Ralls as the protectors.

Moore with two attackers and its decent. Its who are those options that's the question. I reckon Murphy & Junior will be gone, hopefully Williams, there is no way Tomlin will be able to do the work MM would want.

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:43 pm

skidemin wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Also people forget where they are in league? Just because they are having poor run doesnt mean we should beat them at their place especially as we are not exactly on fire ourselves! Last night was good performance with a good result .

Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:04 am

Sven wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Agree and at no point did I criticise last night's performance; just stated that we have a had a consistent style of play for some time and the criticisms only see to come when results are not with us, which is two sides of the same coin

Personally, I'd love to be all out attack (why I enjoyed the Dave Jones era) but my overriding preference is for what Neil ap Warnock called "winning football...", as ultimately that's what gets points and prizes :D

loved the DJ era myself... yes it was exciting but it was hardly play out from the back professor/.philosophy football either... a lot of it was long to Jay and go forward from there... and very much like now Jay /KM injured = struggle to win.. i know what you meant and that you were not being critical... was just making a point as i keep reading these unfair criticisms myself ..agree with a hell of a lot of Llans post tbh... he arrived to a squad that has some decent players but also small in numbers and limited re what formation you can play and be competitive..... found a formation that worked only for some key players in that system to get injured ...and the replacements who are not terrible are not as effective ..