Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

is football a closed shop anyway?

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:03 am

Super leagues looks dead for now but throughout the games history those greedy 6 clubs have more or less won most of the titles and trophies. Can't see that changing much?.

Re: is football a closed shop anyway?

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:56 am

skiprat wrote:Super leagues looks dead for now but throughout the games history those greedy 6 clubs have more or less won most of the titles and trophies. Can't see that changing much?.

No can't see it changing much though Leicester did us all a favour when they won it, and why did Spurs think they belonged in that elite group anyway? From the moment the Premier League was formed, it was driven by money and greed and those clubs will always be up there.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:06 am

skiprat wrote:Super leagues looks dead for now but throughout the games history those greedy 6 clubs have more or less won most of the titles and trophies. Can't see that changing much?.

It certainly appears that way on the surface but we do see changes from time to time, e.g. Leicester City in recent years and West Ham United this season

Some somewhat self-styled 'Big 6' clubs like Arsenal have lost their way, whilst Man U have struggled in comparison with previous years and Spurs have only fleetingly been right up there

Overall though, you are right; the actual title will be the domain of two, maybe three, clubs for the next few years

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:34 am

you will always have bigger more dominant clubs...
but its getting worse .. in the seasons 70 to 81 Liverpool did win 5 titles but Everton , Arsenal , Leeds , Forest. Villa, all won one each...Derby won 2...add to this QPR , ipswich and both Manchester clubs having 2nd place finishes..Spurs. Chelsea and WBA getting 3rds ..
thats 14 different clubs having a top 3 finish over 11 years...
now its 7 different clubs in the last 17 years...
so it is actually changing quite a bit...and getting less competitive...

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:22 pm

No.

Perhaps in terms of titles, the big teams nearly always win.

But the big thing is about European qualification.

Leicester have been in the Champions League and have a good chance of qualifying this season.

West Ham are in with a chance of qualifying this year.

There's a situation this season where possibly only two of the big six (Man City and Man Utd) could qualify for the Champions League.

The Super League wouldn't have allowed that.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:36 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:No.

Leicester have been in the Champions League and have a good chance of qualifying this season.

There's a situation this season where possibly only two of the big six (Man City and Man Utd) could qualify for the Champions League.

its a big maybe for either let alone both
but even if it happens its really the exception... as i posted above the top 3 places in the last 17 years have been Leicester once...the top six 50 times...

Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:35 pm

Don Keydick wrote:

No can't see it changing much though Leicester did us all a favour when they won it, and why did Spurs think they belonged in that elite group anyway? From the moment the Premier League was formed, it was driven by money and greed and those clubs will always be up there.

Spurs have done well over the last few seasons without winning anything - The problem is there are other teams this season that are better than Spurs - Arsenal - Leicester / WHU / Everton on league positions to date .
Just look at history back in the 70's 80's 90's teams like Leeds - Nottingham Forest - Everton were up there with the likes of Liverpool / Man Utd - Each year some teams get better and better - This league decided to pick their own :(

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:16 am

skidemin wrote:

but even if it happens its really the exception... as i posted above the top 3 places in the last 17 years have been Leicester once...the top six 50 times...

Your first bit is a bit harsh on those two clubs - especially Leicester.

Leicester are four points clear of 4th and 5th which is Chelsea and West Ham. They have a six point gap over Liverpool and Spurs, they've played a game less than Spurs. They are thirteen points clear of Arsenal. Only teams above them are City and United.

West Ham are 5th and only out of the top four on goal difference. They are two points above Liverpool and Spurs, also having played a game less than Spurs. Nine points above Arsenal.

If they beat Chelsea this weekend, which wouldn't be a shock, they are back in the top four with just five games to go.

Leicester, I think, have proven over the last few years they are better than at least a couple of members of this so called "big six".

They should have been in the top four last season but totally collapsed at the end of the season. I can't see that happening this season.

It would not surprise me if Leicester are consistently in the top four going forward now. They are also in the FA Cup Final.

In terms of winning the league, its never difficult for someone who is not Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea to win the league. That's because of a combination of their reputation and money.

I don't include Arsenal and Spurs in that. The fact that they were included in this Super League was a bit of a joke.

But in terms of finishing in the top four, there is always a chance for smaller clubs.

Leicester have done it, Everton have done it, Bolton came very close when Allardyce was there..

There is always a chance and that is what the Super League would have taken away.

Champions League proposals are also not great, but the lesser of two evils. I expect them to change because UEFA under pressure now.

Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:04 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:
Don Keydick wrote:

Spurs have done well over the last few seasons without winning anything - The problem is there are other teams this season that are better than Spurs - Arsenal - Leicester / WHU / Everton on league positions to date .
Just look at history back in the 70's 80's 90's teams like Leeds - Nottingham Forest - Everton were up there with the likes of Liverpool / Man Utd - Each year some teams get better and better - This league decided to pick their own :(

not really theyve picked the 6 clubs who have accounted for 95% of champions league places over the last 15 years who are also historically 6 of the best 8 all time supported clubs.... i hate the idea but it certainly was not random...

Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:13 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Your first bit is a bit harsh on those two clubs - especially Leicester.

Leicester are four points clear of 4th and 5th which is Chelsea and West Ham. They have a six point gap over Liverpool and Spurs, they've played a game less than Spurs. They are thirteen points clear of Arsenal. Only teams above them are City and United.

West Ham are 5th and only out of the top four on goal difference. They are two points above Liverpool and Spurs, also having played a game less than Spurs. Nine points above Arsenal.

If they beat Chelsea this weekend, which wouldn't be a shock, they are back in the top four with just five games to go.

Leicester, I think, have proven over the last few years they are better than at least a couple of members of this so called "big six".

They should have been in the top four last season but totally collapsed at the end of the season. I can't see that happening this season.

It would not surprise me if Leicester are consistently in the top four going forward now. They are also in the FA Cup Final.

In terms of winning the league, its never difficult for someone who is not Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea to win the league. That's because of a combination of their reputation and money.

I don't include Arsenal and Spurs in that. The fact that they were included in this Super League was a bit of a joke.

But in terms of finishing in the top four, there is always a chance for smaller clubs.

Leicester have done it, Everton have done it, Bolton came very close when Allardyce was there..

There is always a chance and that is what the Super League would have taken away.

Champions League proposals are also not great, but the lesser of two evils. I expect them to change because UEFA under pressure now.

yes Leicesters position has changed since my post but i wasnt intending to be harsh...

but getting back to the closed shop.... yes a few ifs buts and maybes...
but last 15 years...... 59 out of 60 top 4 places were the 6 super league clubs.. s / lge clubs accounting for 98%
the 15 year prior to that......it was 42 out of 60 with 14 clubs managing it ,the 6 plus 8 others....s/ lge clubs accounting for 70%
and going back over the previous 15 years again it was 34 out of 60 with 18 different clubs achieving a top 4 finish...and the s/lge clubs accounting for 45% of top 4 spots....
yes there is still A chance a club like ours could win the league but that chance has been reduced massively... deliberately reduced.... people in Asia and across the world just do not want to be watching Cardiff Ipswich or WBA and their broadcasters dont want to be paying for those games either... broadcasters need certain clubs to remain in title battles and in Europe....