Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Phillips and Dibble in post-match discussion

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:44 pm

Phillips and Dibble in post-match discussion

McCarthy revealed after the game that Alex Smithies was 'broken hearted' at the error made for Brentford's equaliser, a long-range Fosu effort that somehow slipped through the keeper's fingers and into the net.

After starting all of Cardiff's last three games, it was a clanger that predictably started a debate among fans on social media over whether it was time for McCarthy to once again call on Dillon Phillips.

Phillips himself seemed to be receiving something of a pep talk from goalkeeping coach Andy Dibble, with the pair seemingly discussing the height of the save that Smithies had to make.

Re: Phillips and Dibble in post-match discussion

Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:20 pm

Both of our keepers have had long range efforts fly straight past them recently - Smithies last night and Phillips against Watford.

Maybe "Officer" Dibble should be concentrating on that during training.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:45 am

I'm happy with either, yes they've both made a couple of bad mistakes, but both have performed very well over a full season with the brilliant saves outweighing the mistakes.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:57 am

davids wrote:Both of our keepers have had long range efforts fly straight past them recently - Smithies last night and Phillips against Watford.

Maybe "Officer" Dibble should be concentrating on that during training.

You're right on both players making similar mistakes, which negates large parts of the debate...

But one thing I am sure of is that Andy Dibble is working on all aspects of both kerpers games and this is borne out by your own post above, where you state Andy and Dillon Phillips were discussing the 'clanger' at point of occurrence

That sounds like good coaching to me... :thumbright: :ayatollah: