Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING MICK McCARTHY: ' FRIDAY 23RD APRIL 2021 '

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:00 am

:bluebird: :bluebird: “ MICK McCARTHY WILL UPDATE CARDIFF CITY FANS “ :bluebird: :bluebird:

Friday 23rd April 2021

Mick McCarthy is asked about giving young players a chance in the final three games

MICK McCARTHY:

Possibly. Yeah.

Like I said, I’m not just going to throw a whole load of kids in. We have got really important games against teams fighting relegation.

I want to win the games. I want to be competitive in the games.

There is an integrity we have to live up to.

Mick McCarthy

Mick McCarthy is asked about the run-in:

MICK McCARTHY:

Well there is that element to it. But we have a duty of care and integrity to the league to try and win every game.

Wycombe were excellent on Wednesday and have given themselves a chance to stay up.

But there is a big element of looking into next season.

Mick McCarthy

MICK McCARTHY:

A significant update on Wilson and Ojo

I don’t think that will be the case [them returning]. Both Harry and Sheyi have a year left and a year option at Liverpool.

Harry has been at four clubs and he wants to play somewhere permanently. So does Sheyi.

Loaning them out next year, they will be in the final year of their contract.

Would I have them back, yes. I don’t think it’ll happen.

Mick McCarthy

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: “ READ ALL MICK McCARTHY’S UPDATES BELOW “ :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MICK McCARTHY:

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:01 am

MICK McCARTHY

How much has gone into next season planning?

You’re always looking at next season. Loan players coming to an end, players coming out of contract.

It’s ongoing.

Mick McCarthy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:02 am

Mick McCarthy is asked about the run-in:

MICK McCARTHY:

Well there is that element to it. But we have a duty of care and integrity to the league to try and win every game.

Wycombe were excellent on Wednesday and have given themselves a chance to stay up.

But there is a big element of looking into next season.

Remaining CCFC Fixtures:

Sat Apr 24 CARDIFF CITY v WYCOMBE WANDERERS

Sat May 01 Birmingham City v Cardiff City

12:30pm Sat May 08 CARDIFF CITY v ROTHERHAM UNITED

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:03 am

MICK McCARTHY:

How has Smithies been since the mistake?

I’ve put my arm around him. He has made a mistake, that’s it.

They all start analysing it, but he made two great saves before that and kept us in the game.

Get over it. That’s my view on it and he’ll be starting the game tomorrow.

Mick McCarthy

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:41 am

MICK McCARTHY:

Wycombe still with a shout of staying up?

They were brilliant on Wednesday night. Bristol [City] were better in the first half.

They probably could have packed it up but they came out second half and it was a rip-roaring performance.

Normally I’d have left 10 minutes before the end but I stayed there and enjoyed every second of it.

I thought they were brilliant and I was delighted for them. Gareth [Ainsworth] has done a great job for them.

They are a mirror image of him, when he was playing.

Mick McCarthy

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:41 am

MICK McCARTHY:

Mick McCarthy on the tough role Kieffer Moore has at Cardiff

BIG MICK:

It is.

I tried to get someone in the last throes of the window and we couldn’t get it.

I’ve never had a player come in and tell me he didn’t want to play because he wanted to play international football.

I had it when I went to the World Cup. They were flying. You might want to worry about it when he comes back from the Euros.

Wales will be there for two weeks whatever happens, then he will come back at the end of June. That’s when you might want to worry about it!

Mick McCarthy

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:46 am

A beaming Mick McCarthy expressed his delight at the capitulation of the European Super League, saying that he "loves it when the underdog wins".

It has been the news story which has grabbed all the headlines over the last 48 hours, with six English clubs, along with six more on the continent, planning to break away and form its own league.

It has caused uproar among supporters in this country and as Cardiff City's match played out against Brentford, news of clubs pulling out owing to the backlash started to seep through.

Chelsea and Manchester City are thought to be on the brink of pulling out, while Manchester United chief Ed Woodward is to resign from his post at the end of 2021. Rumours are circulating too that further teams are set to step back from the project.

In the space of just two days the competition now looks to be on its knees, with Chelsea fans staging a protest ahead of the Premier League clash with Brighton at Stamford Bridge tonight.

And McCarthy could not hide his beaming smile at the news that the tournament was going to pot.

MICK McCARTHY:

"Having been an underdog on a lot of occasions, I love it when the underdog wins. It's brilliant," McCarthy said.

"The little fella has really bit the big fella and I got a real kick out of that, I've got to tell you.

"I love it that the fans have won.

"The arrogance and hubris of billionaires, who think they can come in and change what's been here for 100-years-plus.

"I'm so happy it's not going to happen. I see a couple of clubs have pulled out already. I'm delighted with it! I really am.

"I look forward to seeing them come back. I'll be interested to see what happens to the clubs who wanted to leave and see what their fans' reactions will be."

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:32 pm

MIGHT BE BIG DECISION TIME FOR MICK McCARTHY ?
Link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=221739

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:13 am

MICK McCARTHY:

McCarthy on the possibility of Kieffer Moore having a break before Euro 2020?

BIG MICK:

He doesn’t want one. He wants to go into the Euros playing and scoring goals.

I’ve not had that discussion with him. He might give me an answer I might not like!

I’ve never given him any thought.

If he gets another two or three goals he will go into the Euros absolutely flying.

Mick McCarthy

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:58 am

MICK McCARTHY:

How do you see the four play-off spots?

I sincerely hope Barnsley do. I wish I could have taken two more points from the Reading game for them - and for us of course.

Bournemouth have had a great run, Swansea and Brentford I think. I don’t see it changing.

Mick McCarthy

Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:00 am

MICK McCARTHY:

Mick McCarthy on what he expects from Wycombe?

When asked if he expects the kitchen sink thrown at them, McCarthy responded: "Without a doubt!

"We are hardly shrinking violets ourselves though, so no concerns about that."

Mick McCarthy

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:01 am

MICK McCARTHY:

More from Mick McCarthy on Wycombe?

I was speaking to the chaps, I went for a cup of team, they would cite poor decisions by referees, sometimes teams at the bottom always think that’s the case.

They’ve not had a bad season. They don’t feel they have. But they find themselves where they are.

They’ve got unbelievable spirit.

When you feel like you’ve got no chance of staying up, all of a sudden you start finding all these performances.

When you then have a chance of staying up, we played rubbish (at Man City) and went down.

But all isn’t lost now (for Wycombe) and they have a chance to stay in the league.

Mick McCarthy

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:18 am

MICK McCARTHY:

Mick McCarthy is asked about giving young players a chance in the final three games

MICK McCARTHY:

Possibly. Yeah.

Like I said, I’m not just going to throw a whole load of kids in. We have got really important games against teams fighting relegation.

I want to win the games. I want to be competitive in the games.

There is an integrity we have to live up to.

Mick McCarthy

Re: BREAKING MICK McCARTHY: ' FRIDAY 23RD APRIL 2021 '

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:24 am

A significant update on Wilson and Ojo

MICK McCARTHY:

I don’t think that will be the case [them returning]. Both Harry and Sheyi have a year left and a year option at Liverpool.

Harry has been at four clubs and he wants to play somewhere permanently. So does Sheyi.

Loaning them out next year, they will be in the final year of their contract.

Would I have them back, yes. I don’t think it’ll happen.

Mick McCarthy

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:30 am

Mick McCarthy on Akinfenwa's late goal against Bristol City

BIG MICK:

It appeared to me he took it off Jacobson. He had the ball in his hand!

I just wondered whether seniority, the size of him, or if he threatened him! I wouldn’t argue with him!

He is a great fella.

It was such an important penalty. For him to stand up and take that. Maybe Jacobson was happy for someone else to take that responsibility. I don’t know.

He had the mentality to take it and took it well. I was delighted for him.

Mick McCarthy

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:37 am

Mick McCarthy on the tough role Kieffer Moore has at Cardiff

BIG MICK:

It is.

I tried to get someone in the last throes of the window and we couldn’t get it.

I’ve never had a player come in and tell me he didn’t want to play because he wanted to play international football.

I had it when I went to the World Cup. They were flying. You might want to worry about it when he comes back from the Euros.

Wales will be there for two weeks whatever happens, then he will come back at the end of June. That’s when you might want to worry about it!

Mick McCarthy

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:41 am

Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy has confirmed Robert Glatzel will be placed on the transfer list this summer.

MICK McCARTHY:

"AS SOON AS GLATZEL RETURNS TO CARDIFF CITY HE WILL BE PUT ON THE TRANSFER LIST."

The striker was signed by Neil Warnock for £5.5million from German second-tier outfit Heidenheim, but has struggled to hit the heights he reached during that final season playing in his native land.

Glatzel was sent on loan to Bundesliga club Mainz by McCarthy on the final day of the January transfer window and there has been growing speculation he might not return.

And on Thursday, McCarthy indeed revealed the player is available for a transfer in the upcoming window.

"Robert, he's available," McCarthy said. "He's not going to be for me, or otherwise I wouldn't have loaned him out."

When asked to clarify whether that meant he is available to be sold this summer, McCarthy replied: "Yes He is up for sale."

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:51 am

Tom Sang ruled out for the season. A shame, been quality since he came in, but has done enough to get fans excited about him for next season.

Sean Morrison will also miss tomorrow but it is hoped he will be back for the final two games

Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:43 am

Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy:

"We have a duty of care and integrity to the league to try and win every game. But there is a big element of looking into next season.

"Wycombe were excellent on Wednesday and have given themselves a chance to stay up.

"They’ve not had a bad season. They don’t feel they have. But they find themselves where they are. They’ve got unbelievable spirit."

Wycombe Wanderers manager Gareth Ainsworth:

"I think people can see the upward turn in what’s been happening here and, whatever happens, I’m going to be really excited for the future of this football club.

"The future at the moment is Saturday, against Cardiff. If we can get three points there, wow, that could really upset a few teams.

"I’m looking forward to going there and seeing what we can do."

Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:11 am

Mick McCarthy's verdict on Harry Wilson and Sheyi Ojo. Says they both want permanent homes next season - but that is unlikely to be in the Welsh capital.