Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Average attendances 1990/91

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:44 am

Saw this posted elsewhere. Staggering increases some more notable than others. Throw in the increase in ticket prices, hospitality, merchandise let alone TV.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Average attendances 1990/91

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:45 am

The number after is obviously the division played in

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:50 am

Look at our attendances and some of us will remember those days all too well.. :cry:

They were tough times for us but those of us who attended were proper supporters who expected little but who enjoyed both the 'craic' and the love of our club

I'm not saying it was better; but it was different in a positive way that can/will never be back for supporters

The only downside was having to drop the keys back to the office after the last out had locked up...! ;) :lol:

Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:17 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:The number after is obviously the division played in

if your interested in attendances this site is good....
https://european-football-statistics.co ... ontent.htm

Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:38 am

Idiots up and down the country kicking each others heads in and rioting in the streets cause they supported a different football team will do that :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hooliganism may have been on it's way out by 90/91 but the reputation was there and still is today for some people. Thankfully, apart from a few twats now and again, this nonsense is long gone from the game :occasion5:

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:03 pm

So much better these days. No atmosphere, No passion, kicked out of grounds for standing up, filmed wherever you go, facial recognition, extortionate ticket prices, extortionate prices for replica kit, extortionate prices for a pint, worse beer than than any pint of Albright I ever drank and that was shit, banned from pubs for wearing decent clobber, banned from pubs for a having a cheeky one, coppers getting a free day out on the train just to stop you having a good day out.
I never had a tear up with anyone for supporting another football club, had plenty in self defence your honour, just happened to be among the die hards following the mighty bluebirds.
Give me back Ninian Park, Fila and Sergio Tacchini, Louis bleached, decent beer, 3000 proper fans and a sense of belonging.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:03 pm

Remember Bury away 1990 when Blakey made his debut.. got relegated..one of the best days out I ever had. It’s not much fun today tho..

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:54 pm

Bluesince72 wrote:So much better these days. No atmosphere, No passion, kicked out of grounds for standing up, filmed wherever you go, facial recognition, extortionate ticket prices, extortionate prices for replica kit, extortionate prices for a pint, worse beer than than any pint of Albright I ever drank and that was shit, banned from pubs for wearing decent clobber, banned from pubs for a having a cheeky one, coppers getting a free day out on the train just to stop you having a good day out.
I never had a tear up with anyone for supporting another football club, had plenty in self defence your honour, just happened to be among the die hards following the mighty bluebirds.
Give me back Ninian Park, Fila and Sergio Tacchini, Louis bleached, decent beer, 3000 proper fans and a sense of belonging.

yep..there were defo positives...

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:19 pm

Bluesince72 wrote:So much better these days. No atmosphere, No passion, kicked out of grounds for standing up, filmed wherever you go, facial recognition, extortionate ticket prices, extortionate prices for replica kit, extortionate prices for a pint, worse beer than than any pint of Albright I ever drank and that was shit, banned from pubs for wearing decent clobber, banned from pubs for a having a cheeky one, coppers getting a free day out on the train just to stop you having a good day out.

We've been to all the big Premier league grounds lately, and a few trips to Wembley, but I will never ever forget Scunny round that time, won 3-0 to take the 4th division title, took over the whole ground and every motorway services. What a day.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:57 pm

Go on, what's a proper fan then? I assume I'm not a proper fan cause I wouldn't be willing to take a punch or a night in prison in the name of Cardiff City?
Again what do you think an atmosphere and passion should consist of? 1000's of fans travel all across the country in all weather, sometimes getting up at 5am or getting home 2am, to sing and cheer and support Cardiff. Does that not show passion or is it only passionate if you're willing to give someone a kicking?

Thank f**k those days are long gone and families can take kids to a game without worrying about fighting and rioting. Thank f**k I can sit in a pub before hand watching the midday kick off and not be concerned with getting my head kicked in by opposing fans.

If you want a punch up join a boxing club :roll:

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:55 pm

The dream is always better than the reality and how many of us feel that now?

When I started going crowds were high because of Rick Wright but it didn't last long and for the vast majority of my early years watching Cardiff it was in front of very low crowds with not much to shout about, losing to Barry Town in the Welsh Cup Final amongst many lows.

As a youngster in the early 90's the dream was to see us play at Wembley, another low I wont forget as I sat in Sixfields one night, little did I know what was to come.

Unfortunately for me despite all those years following us I had to take a forced '3 year' sabbatical after events at a game in sunny Staffordshire which cant be far off 21 years ago to the day.

My last game was in Division 3 and when I was allowed back we were a Division 1/Championship Club thanks to Sam.

Ever since we have never been outside of the top 2 divisions, been a Premier League side twice, played in both major Cup Finals and a Play Off Final, I have been to Wembley to watch us 4 times.

For me now the next dream is Europe, to watch Cardiff City play in Europe, will it ever happen? who knows? Everything else has been ticked off.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this post, just started typing and couldn't stop but Football was definitely better before, whatever Division the Team you supported were in, we all agree with that surely?

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:19 pm

RV Casual wrote:The dream is always better than the reality and how many of us feel that now?

When I started going crowds were high because of Rick Wright but it didn't last long and for the vast majority of my early years watching Cardiff it was in front of very low crowds with not much to shout about, losing to Barry Town in the Welsh Cup Final amongst many lows.

As a youngster in the early 90's the dream was to see us play at Wembley, another low I wont forget as I sat in Sixfields one night, little did I know what was to come.

Unfortunately for me despite all those years following us I had to take a forced '3 year' sabbatical after events at a game in sunny Staffordshire which cant be far off 21 years ago to the day.

My last game was in Division 3 and when I was allowed back we were a Division 1/Championship Club thanks to Sam.

Ever since we have never been outside of the top 2 divisions, been a Premier League side twice, played in both major Cup Finals and a Play Off Final, I have been to Wembley to watch us 4 times.

For me now the next dream is Europe, to watch Cardiff City play in Europe, will it ever happen? who knows? Everything else has been ticked off.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this post, just started typing and couldn't stop but Football was definitely better before, whatever Division the Team you supported were in, we all agree with that surely?

yes the dream was better than the reality... ..but
i hope we never go back... it was of its time and so much has changed...

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:22 pm

EastShoreBlue wrote:

Thank f**k those days are long gone and families can take kids to a game without worrying about fighting and rioting. Thank f**k I can sit in a pub before hand watching the midday kick off and not be concerned with getting my head kicked in by opposing fans.

Unless they are sat by you? With your foul language, or do you only use that on message boards cos it gives you an air of anonymity to give it the Billy big bollocks.

You seem to be more angry that any 'Hooligan' I have ever come across, go and have a lie down.

skidemin wrote:
RV Casual wrote:The dream is always better than the reality and how many of us feel that now?

yes the dream was better than the reality... ..but
i hope we never go back... it was of its time and so much has changed...

I don't disagree was just reminiscing of a bygone past

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:07 pm

RV Casual wrote:
EastShoreBlue wrote:

Unless they are sat by you? With your foul language, or do you only use that on message boards cos it gives you an air of anonymity to give it the Billy big bollocks.

You seem to be more angry that any 'Hooligan' I have ever come across, go and have a lie down.

Yes I'm sure parents would regard swearing and being caught between a few dozen adults fighting equally as dangerous to their child...
As it so happens whenever I go to the football I'm in the Canton stand, which is known to be more adult orientated. The club even advertise this fact by offering cheaper U16 tickets in the family stand, it's also the only stand where "Family" tickets are sold.

People were killed because of hooliganism, people were hospitalised and stabbed. Cars, pubs, stadiums, shops, etc were smashed and set on fire because of football hooligans... But sure thing pal, saying the word "f**k" makes me angrier than those degenerates and criminals. :roll:

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:29 pm

EastShoreBlue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
EastShoreBlue wrote:

Yes I'm sure parents would regard swearing and being caught between a few dozen adults fighting equally as dangerous to their child...
As it so happens whenever I go to the football I'm in the Canton stand, which is known to be more adult orientated. The club even advertise this fact by offering cheaper U16 tickets in the family stand, it's also the only stand where "Family" tickets are sold.

People were killed because of hooliganism, people were hospitalised and stabbed. Cars, pubs, stadiums, shops, etc were smashed and set on fire because of football hooligans... But sure thing pal, saying the word "f**k" makes me angrier than those degenerates and criminals. :roll:

Firstly, I'm not your pal.

Secondly, who are you to bring equally into it, who made you god? how do you know somebody might not be equally as offended by you effing and jeffing as they would be by a few blokes having a tear up, the point being, live like a saint or don't cast judgement. Swearing can be a form of assault, you can get charged with threatening behavior from it. How do you know if peoples kids don't read these thread and see your language and thinks its ok?

The thread was ticking along nicely and then you came along and got all angry and started throwing profanities about and getting all angry about people being angry 30 years ago, oh the irony, don't believe me? read the thread back.

:thumbup:

Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:53 pm

I found the past highly embarrassing getting beat at home 5 nil by the likes of Maidstone etc. My best time beating west ham and Fulham 30000 bluebirds together in a fantastic.stadium .I didn't enjoy city being the laughing stock un the lower leagues one iota.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:39 pm

RV Casual wrote:
EastShoreBlue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
EastShoreBlue wrote:

Firstly, I'm not your pal.

Secondly, who are you to bring equally into it, who made you god? how do you know somebody might not be equally as offended by you effing and jeffing as they would be by a few blokes having a tear up, the point being, live like a saint or don't cast judgement. Swearing can be a form of assault, you can get charged with threatening behavior from it. How do you know if peoples kids don't read these thread and see your language and thinks its ok?

The thread was ticking along nicely and then you came along and got all angry and started throwing profanities about and getting all angry about people being angry 30 years ago, oh the irony, don't believe me? read the thread back.

:thumbup:

Okay mate.
Do I refer to myself as God anywhere? Let me just read the thread back like you suggested... Hmmm nope not seeing it.

Fair enough if someone thinks swearing is worse than getting caught in the middle of a fight, wouldn't consider it myself but considering I'm not God I'm not all knowing.
However, it's undeniable that people died because of hooliganism. People were stabbed, beaten and hospitalised week in week out for decades. Lives were ruined and businesses were smashed to bits because of hooliganism. Yet people look back on them as "better days" and wish for them to return.

As I said, if people want a punch up they should join a boxing club :thumbright:

Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:48 pm

My my Mr Eastshore struck a nerve have we, I make no apologies for preferring my matchey experience back in the dark days of the seventies, eighties and nineties. I think the mere fact that being at Ninian Park and Rochdale and Southend and all those glamorous backwaters shows passion and yes the atmosphere at at the CCS will never come anywhere near that of the ground across the road. Now you certainly would not have been able to enjoy a quiet pint watching the midday kick offs as there weren't any back then another blight on football stupid kickoff Times to appease the TV moguls and the armchair fans. You seem to be not only angry with fans who were involved in fighting back then but in your own words the twats you apparently see still causing trouble. My father took me to my first game in 1972 yes he took a kid into the war zone you seem to think exsisted at football matches back then.
I fully respect you right to hold the opinions you have but please do not revert to name calling and abuse aimed at people you know nothing about, who yes in your opinion support their club for all the wrong reasons but believe me this does not make them idiots or twats these are people I hold dear who have loyalt and morals in abundance. I await your reply with baited breath.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:11 pm

EastShoreBlue wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
EastShoreBlue wrote:

i took my kids to football
and why are you in the Canton ? sounds the exact opposite of where you would want to be...

Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:31 pm

You have summed up exactly how I feel..started 1992 same.as you and I look back with a little regret that we are not a.smaller club back in lower leagues. The dreams of getting to Premier is done and Europe is the last thing to tick box via a cup win.and I will be happy forever. Maybe chuck in a league double against jacks for icing on top of cake

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:39 am

Surely the rises aren't just due to a control of hooligans?
It does show investment in new grounds is in fact an investment.
We are the biggest gain on the list by some distance. Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday virtually in exactly the same place as they were 30 years ago. As would Spurs have been without recent new ground. Biggest fallers probably Swindon. The thing that stands out for me is how much attendances in top two divisions have gone up.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:06 am

Home attendances were always poor. Twice I remember us dropping below 1000, both I think for Autoglass cup games. Quite a few time we dropped under 2000.

But away?? That was a different matter. Used to love away games late 70s and very early 80s, and then again early 90s.

Chelsea away 76. Lost 2-1, Clive Charles scored a pen. Was on bus number 70! Games to clubs geographically close were just awash with City fans.

Love watching City away to teams in the old 4th Division. Loads of City. Those were the days. Did anyone on here go to the Hartlepool away 1-1 draw on the opening game of the season where a fan knocked themselves out on a goalpost after we scored??

Compare to Warnocks 1st season. I went away to Derby. Cracking game we won 4-3 last minute penalty. There were about 100 City there max.Boro away when there were no more than 50......

Favourite away day?? Torquay in the league cup in August. Gulls couldn't cope with the numbers. Must have been about 4 pitch invasions mainly cos the stand was so packed!

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:27 am

Good post!
You didn’t have to go around fighting, swearing and abusing people to enjoy those days like one guy on here seems to think.

Happy days, but like all things in life we move on.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:53 am

Look I'm not here to to say football hooliganism was right or wrong, the original post was about attendances and one poster seems to think that those attendance figures are that low because of the, and i quote idiots, degenerates and twats who ran out out of control all over the country. They were not, lets look at the early noughties Ninian Park full to the rafters for the visit of Leeds, 35000 fans at the Millenium Stadium for a play off final and our hooligan element larger and more active than at anytime in the preceding decades.

Lets be brutally honest we were shit in the eighties and Nineties and when we are shit now our crowds drop people want success and this is what i meant by true supporters thick and thin supporters.

What crowds could we have expected if big Mick had not got us out of trouble and we had gone down? not great if we had made a bad start in Div2.

So men fought in the name of their football team, today men stab, shoot and torture over postcodes. Look at Peaky Blinders read about the Cummbie razor gang in Glasgow from the 1920s and still active today a fact of life I'm afraid men are hardwired toward anger and violence some just control it better.

Yes i must admit football grounds are safer places today but I'm entitled to my opinion that they are not as much fun or exciting as they were back then and personally i was never embarrassed by my team even losing to non league teams i loved it back then.

And just to finish my reminiscing St Michaels ABC in Newport was my boxing club had 8 fights as a boy before concentrating on rugby won 6 drew 1 lost 1.

I rest my case

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:14 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Home attendances were always poor. Twice I remember us dropping below 1000, both I think for Autoglass cup games. Quite a few time we dropped under 2000.

But away?? That was a different matter. Used to love away games late 70s and very early 80s, and then again early 90s.

Chelsea away 76. Lost 2-1, Clive Charles scored a pen. Was on bus number 70! Games to clubs geographically close were just awash with City fans.

Love watching City away to teams in the old 4th Division. Loads of City. Those were the days. Did anyone on here go to the Hartlepool away 1-1 draw on the opening game of the season where a fan knocked themselves out on a goalpost after we scored??

Compare to Warnocks 1st season. I went away to Derby. Cracking game we won 4-3 last minute penalty. There were about 100 City there max.Boro away when there were no more than 50......

Favourite away day?? Torquay in the league cup in August. Gulls couldn't cope with the numbers. Must have been about 4 pitch invasions mainly cos the stand was so packed!

first game of the season.... a Holiday resort on a beautiful mid August Saturday and evening K.O..so all day down there.... i 40 odd years on i still cant figure who thought it a good idea to not move the game.... is my favourite too...