Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING: " CARDIFF CITY PUT STRIKER UP FOR SALE "

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:42 am

Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy has confirmed Robert Glatzel will be placed on the transfer list this summer.

MICK McCARTHY:

"AS SOON AS GLATZEL RETURNS TO CARDIFF CITY HE WILL BE PUT ON THE TRANSFER LIST."

The striker was signed by Neil Warnock for £5.5million from German second-tier outfit Heidenheim, but has struggled to hit the heights he reached during that final season playing in his native land.

Glatzel was sent on loan to Bundesliga club Mainz by McCarthy on the final day of the January transfer window and there has been growing speculation he might not return.

And on Thursday, McCarthy indeed revealed the player is available for a transfer in the upcoming window.

"Robert, he's available," McCarthy said. "He's not going to be for me, or otherwise I wouldn't have loaned him out."

When asked to clarify whether that meant he is available to be sold this summer, McCarthy replied: "Yes He is up for sale."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BREAKING: " CARDIFF CITY PUT STRIKER UP FOR SALE "

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:49 am

Sad but no surprise...and I wish him all the very best :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:35 am

Another striker not really given a run in team or playing a system to get best out of him? Joins a long list and this is why need to change way we play otherwise run out of target men like keifer to get in?? I'm Sure if we played a more passing game with strikers we have had we would have had better chance of staying in premier league because we've had some good goalscorers fail because of our system.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:42 am

pembroke allan wrote:Another striker not really given a run in team or playing a system to get best out of him? Joins a long list and this is why need to change way we play otherwise run out of target men like keifer to get in?? Sure if we played a more passing game with strikers we have had we would have had better chance of staying in premier league because we've had some good goalscorers fail bec of our system.

I agree allan, I believe our style of play has prevented us from progressing. 2 promotions and we've essentially started back at square 1 or worse after them. But to change to a more passing game needs to start from the back. No point having a striker who likes the ball played to his feet if the midfield can't play him in and there's no point having creative midfielders if the defence opts to bypass them at every opportunity. A ball playing CB and creative CM are top of my wish list for the summer.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:46 am

Replies Fb:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:11 am

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy has confirmed Robert Glatzel will be placed on the transfer list this summer.

MICK McCARTHY:

"AS SOON AS GLATZEL RETURNS TO CARDIFF CITY HE WILL BE PUT ON THE TRANSFER LIST."

The striker was signed by Neil Warnock for £5.5million from German second-tier outfit Heidenheim, but has struggled to hit the heights he reached during that final season playing in his native land.

Glatzel was sent on loan to Bundesliga club Mainz by McCarthy on the final day of the January transfer window and there has been growing speculation he might not return.

And on Thursday, McCarthy indeed revealed the player is available for a transfer in the upcoming window.

"Robert, he's available," McCarthy said. "He's not going to be for me, or otherwise I wouldn't have loaned him out."

When asked to clarify whether that meant he is available to be sold this summer, McCarthy replied: "Yes He is up for sale."

Personally, I think this is a mistake. He is a more than decent back up and never given a proper run of games. Surely a better option than Vassell or Harris.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:15 am

Escott1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Another striker not really given a run in team or playing a system to get best out of him? Joins a long list and this is why need to change way we play otherwise run out of target men like keifer to get in?? Sure if we played a more passing game with strikers we have had we would have had better chance of staying in premier league because we've had some good goalscorers fail bec of our system.

I agree allan, I believe our style of play has prevented us from progressing. 2 promotions and we've essentially started back at square 1 or worse after them. But to change to a more passing game needs to start from the back. No point having a striker who likes the ball played to his feet if the midfield can't play him in and there's no point having creative midfielders if the defence opts to bypass them at every opportunity. A ball playing CB and creative CM are top of my wish list for the summer.

Not sure if will change back 4 but change midfield a bit and our defenders will have opportunity to pass it more ... but at moment give ball to midfield and it comes backwards to defenders again just need to have forward thinking midfielders. Problem sorted.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:34 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:

Not sure if will change back 4 but change midfield a bit and our defenders will have opportunity to pass it more ... but at moment give ball to midfield and it comes backwards to defenders again just need to have forward thinking midfielders. Problem sorted.

Two of our CBs are over 30. Nelson is pretty average in this league and brown is extremely limited. None of the them are comfortable with the ball at their feet. Id be disappointed if we don't try and bring another CB in.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:44 am

Bluebird For Life wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy has confirmed Robert Glatzel will be placed on the transfer list this summer.

MICK McCARTHY:

Personally, I think this is a mistake. He is a more than decent back up and never given a proper run of games. Surely a better option than Vassell or Harris.

Definitely a mistake imho, he was never given a proper run in the side, and when he was played,he was starved of any real service,and not replacing him has come back and bit us on the arse imo, which I said might happen, the lack of a back up has cost us a chance of being in the play offs.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:45 am

Bluebird For Life wrote:

MICK McCARTHY:

Definitely a mistake imho, he was never given a proper run in the side, and when he was played,he was starved of any real service,and not replacing him has come back and bit us on the arse imo, which I said might happen, the lack of a back up has cost us a chance of being in the play offs.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:55 am

Point 1 - FFS i thought you were talking about Keifer

Point 2 - I think he is just not suited for the championship. I would be very surprised if he stayed in this country. He needs a style of play that not many play. He needs the ball on the turn into space, he would fit Norwich but not where they are going. I mentioned Norwich because i noticed that Josh in this new position wants to slide the ball between the centre half and full-back almost as an instinct and that's the ball that Glatzel wants. The problem for him is we won't be playing through the thirds anytime soon, well not with any fluency or speed.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:55 am

Right decision. Been poor for us.

Some of those it's a bad decision, would probably say the same if we kept him and are just looking for something to be argumentative about.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:30 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Right decision. Been poor for us.

Some of those it's a bad decision, would probably say the same if we kept him and are just looking for something to be argumentative about.

Well I'm not in that group! And certainly not looking to be argumentative either, just my opinion on him, I don't think he is suited here, but that was not his fault warnock thought he could use him as a target man, and it wasnt his style at all, and paid 5.5m for him in the process.I hope mainz will take a punt with him,as they are now looking good for survival after being 7pts adrift when he went there.but he would have been at least better than what we were left with,or least to rest moore,who has been out on his feet the last 8 games! So no, not all want to be argumentative, just have a differing opinion on the boy.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:33 pm

Well I'm not in that group! And certainly not looking to be argumentative either, just my opinion on him, I don't think he is suited here, but that was not his fault warnock thought he could use him as a target man, and it wasnt his style at all, and paid 5.5m for him in the process.I hope mainz will take a punt with him,as they are now looking good for survival after being 7pts adrift when he went there.but he would have been at least better than what we were left with,or least to rest moore,who has been out on his feet the last 8 games! So no, not all want to be argumentative, just have a differing opinion on the boy.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:36 pm

I think this decision has more to do with how much RG earns rather than the style of football we play.

The club is obviously looking to cut it's cloth due to Covid-19 and the end of parachute payments so I would imagine RG is an obvious choice to get off the wage bill. He may not be paid mega money but if the club can save £15k a week (a guess) then that money can used else where or to simply balance the books.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:22 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I think this decision has more to do with how much RG earns rather than the style of football we play.

The club is obviously looking to cut it's cloth due to Covid-19 and the end of parachute payments so I would imagine RG is an obvious choice to get off the wage bill. He may not be paid mega money but if the club can save £15k a week (a guess) then that money can used else where or to simply balance the books.

Depending on how much the club can get for him, its going to be another large financial hit on the £5.5m paid,so saving 15k a week maybe,but will be offset by a big hit on his sale price! If we get £2m(not sure we will) for him, thats a 3.5m loss!!

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:04 pm

Reid. Murphy Gazial Tomlin money well spent. Well done Neil

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:18 pm

Lets hope RG gets some game time this weekend and scores another hat trick against Bayern Munich. That would certainly put a few million on his price tag.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:49 pm

stickywicket wrote:Reid. Murphy Gazial Tomlin money well spent. Well done Neil

Etheridge, NML, Hoilett, Bamba, Nelson.

Yeah he’s shit that Warnock.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:51 pm

Only scored two goals in nine games for Mainz and never a great success for us. Don't honestly think he would have been even if he was given a run of games. Just not suited to the championship. Won't get anything like what we paid for him but worth getting him off the wage bill. He is not McCarthys cup of tea and if you are not McCarthys cup of tea you will never play.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:20 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:I think this decision has more to do with how much RG earns rather than the style of football we play.

Depending on how much the club can get for him, its going to be another large financial hit on the £5.5m paid,so saving 15k a week maybe,but will be offset by a big hit on his sale price! If we get £2m(not sure we will) for him, thats a 3.5m loss!!

TBH I don't think anyone at the club is expecting a substantial transfer fee. If a club offered £2m as you suggest then I think the club would bite their hands off! Getting him off the wage bill would still save just short of £800k per season.

I agree with you the club has taken a large financial hit on RG. That hit will only get bigger if we can't move him on.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:24 pm

Crayfish wrote:Only scored two goals in nine games for Mainz and never a great success for us. Don't honestly think he would have been even if he was given a run of games. Just not suited to the championship. Won't get anything like what we paid for him but worth getting him off the wage bill. He is not McCarthys cup of tea and if you are not McCarthys cup of tea you will never play.

But he has only been used as a sub to date for mainz,they have a good chance of staying up, after being 7 pts adrift when he went there, and apart from bayern, they have the best record over last 6 in Bundesliga.
So hoilett will be gone then, as he doesnt seem to fit MM 's remiit either, plus a few others I guess?
He is not suited to hoofball thats for sure(glatzel) wish him success, wherever that may come.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:59 pm

maccydee wrote:
stickywicket wrote:Reid. Murphy Gazial Tomlin money well spent. Well done Neil

Etheridge, NML, Hoilett, Bamba, Nelson.

Yeah he’s shit that Warnock.

Agree with your sentiments. You also forgot Patterson who with the first four got us promotion. That was worth 100 million as well as 45 million plus in parachute payments. And we got our money back on Reid.

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:46 pm

I know there are lots of types of striker but if Glatzel is not for MM then surely Callum Patterson is?

We are obviously not going to see little and quick with balls to feet and Pato showed what he could do in the contrasting style.

So two totally different front men are not deemed what we want without any replacement

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:17 pm

he wasnt for me said Mick.... i agree with you both...
apparently he is a good player but the football does not suit him so no doubt we will shortly have a queue of managers from clubs that play football that does suit him with wads of cash all prepared to be far more patient than we were and give him more much than only 13 consecutive starts and more than 30 apps overall.... be interesting...

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:19 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:I know there are lots of types of striker but if Glatzel is not for MM then surely Callum Patterson is?

We are obviously not going to see little and quick with balls to feet and Pato showed what he could do in the contrasting style.

So two totally different front men are not deemed what we want without any replacement

No chance he doesnt run the channels doesnt hold play up is not quick but he does pop up 3yds out to score occasionally ?we need go forward with our style not backwards... :shock:

Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:31 pm

Hope he puts vassell up for sale soon or offloads him

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:20 pm

Two coming in shortly apparently and Vassel on his last chance!

Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:06 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:Two coming in shortly apparently and Vassel on his last chance!

Players going out and new faces coming in ...

Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:24 am

Good another daft amount of money spunked on a cart horse. I'd love to know who values these players, 5.5million is mental when I've seen better on a Sunday pub team up top. Whoever gives the go ahead on some of the signings we have made over the years wants there heads testing :bluescarf: