" Brendan Rodgers / Tottenham "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:38 pm

Sky Sports

Brendan Rodgers has no interest in talking to Tottenham about their managerial vacancy, and instead he believes Leicester have the potential to regularly challenge for European places, Sky Sports News has been told.

Rodgers has been heavily linked with the vacancy at Spurs since Jose Mourinho was sacked last week, with Ryan Mason having taken temporary charge until the end of the season.

Those links have strengthened since Julian Nagelsmann, who was thought to be top of Spurs' list of candidates, decided to join Bayern Munich in the summer, leaving the north London club to look at other options

Leicester have already secured their place in next month's FA Cup final and Monday's victory over Crystal Palace means they are now closing in on Champions League qualification, having moved seven points clear of fifth-placed West Ham with five Premier League games remaining.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " Brendan Rodgers / Tottenham "

Postby Bakedalasker » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:29 pm

Not long ago we were playing Leicester in the Championship. We knocked them out of the play offs. Look where they are now to us. They are no bigger than us.
Bakedalasker

Postby cardiff 74 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:17 pm

We are bigger than them I will always believe that
cardiff 74

Postby Big Hill Blue » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:30 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:We are bigger than them I will always believe that

Absolutely mate. We are bigger than many of the current teams in the "best league in the world ".

We should WITHOUT A DOUBT be performing on that stage.

I'm not judging it on stadium capacity as you have the occasional visitors/fans to the usual suspects.

Genuine born and bred fans...

Us, Newcastle, Leeds, maybe Man City as I'm feeling generous.

We deserve better.

C'mon City :bluebird: :D
Big Hill Blue

Postby Wayne S » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:45 pm

I have an unhealthy hatred of Leicester City.

They were the reason points deductions were introduced for clubs going into administration.

They went into administration AFTER building their new stadium and hundreds of small businesses were never paid.

Wiped their debt clean, had a new stadium and without a points deduction went up to the Premier league the following season.

Never looked back........ at the mess they left for others.
Wayne S

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:06 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Not long ago we were playing Leicester in the Championship. We knocked them out of the play offs. Look where they are now to us. They are no bigger than us.

Their owners run their club very well.

Have very good recruitment. They sell their players for very good profit and then reinvest it in the squad well.

Also have one of the best managers in the country.

I don't blame Brendan Rodgers for preferring to stay at Leicester than Tottenham. He's building something good there.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby skidemin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:17 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Not long ago we were playing Leicester in the Championship. We knocked them out of the play offs. Look where they are now to us. They are no bigger than us.

Their owners run their club very well.

Have very good recruitment. They sell their players for very good profit and then reinvest it in the squad well.

Also have one of the best managers in the country.

I don't blame Brendan Rodgers for preferring to stay at Leicester than Tottenham. He's building something good there.

they also did everything Wayne has posted...

plus broke FFP rules while being promoted... they should change the name to CCFFP as it seems we are the only club that pays any attention to it..
skidemin

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:56 pm

Wayne S wrote:I have an unhealthy hatred of Leicester City.

They were the reason points deductions were introduced for clubs going into administration.

They went into administration AFTER building their new stadium and hundreds of small businesses were never paid.

Wiped their debt clean, had a new stadium and without a points deduction went up to the Premier league the following season.

Never looked back........ at the mess they left for others.

To be fair, much of that can be said about many other clubs.

Not right that they didn't get punished for it, I agree.

@neddthomas on Twitter.

worcester_ccfc

Postby skiprat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:15 pm

No way are we bigger than Leicester they've spent most of their history in the top division we are traditionally a second tier team.
skiprat

Postby TopCat CCFC » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:46 pm

Along with the facts that they went on to win the Premier League - and Vardy signed for them ahead of us ;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby Blueberry Jam » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:22 am

Why do we always seem to miss out on top strikers. Is it because we have a crap recruitment team and we have no foresight.
We have been linked with Ivan Toney, Ollie Watkin, Jamie Vardy all of whom we let pass us by. Come on City wake up and do your job.
Blueberry Jam

Postby BluebirdForever » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:33 am

I don’t believe we are as big as Leicester. Maybe in the past we have been but they’re Premier League winners now and they’ve recently played in the Champions League. Playing in Europe for one season doesn’t make you huge but they’ve finished just outside the top 6 a few times now and they look like they might finish there this year too. Historically we might have been around the same level, they’ve not won as much silverware as I thought but their recent success has surely pushed them further than us
BluebirdForever

Postby Welshman in CA » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:33 pm

Blueberry Jam wrote:Why do we always seem to miss out on top strikers. Is it because we have a crap recruitment team and we have no foresight.
We have been linked with Ivan Toney, Ollie Watkin, Jamie Vardy all of whom we let pass us by. Come on City wake up and do your job.

Maybe they just didn't want to come to Cardiff? It may be the center of your universe but that doesn't make it theirs.

But why actually think when you can blame others for failing?
Welshman in CA

Postby CF64 BLUE » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:20 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:

Absolutely mate. We are bigger than many of the current teams in the "best league in the world ".

I'm not judging it on stadium capacity as you have the occasional visitors/fans to the usual suspects.

We deserve better.

As much as I'd like that to be the case Leicester City are a bigger club than us by a considerable distance.
CF64 BLUE

Postby skidemin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:08 pm

CF64 BLUE wrote:
Big Hill Blue wrote:

We deserve better.

As much as I'd like that to be the case Leicester City are a bigger club than us by a considerable distance.

as things stand yes...give us their success and no...
skidemin

Postby WestCoastBlue » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:15 pm

Not sure how it can be argued we're a bigger club than Leicester. Pretty much every metric people measure "club size" in they beat us.
In their entire history they've only spent one season outside the top 2 divisions, when they came first in League 1. They've got 51 top division seasons to our 17.
They've got more trophies than us and they've been to more finals than us.
Crowd sizes are similar, we got consistently bigger crowds in the 50's. However, last time they had an average crowd below 10k was the 1914/15 season. For us, we didn't have an average crowd over 10k between 1978 and 2001.

As a city, Cardiff is bigger (I think, it seems bigger at least) and our stadium is bigger but that's about it. We've got an FA Cup which they don't but that could change in a few weeks.

Despite the new stadium issues, which I wasn't aware of before this thread, I think Leicester are a great example of a well run football club and I'm enjoying seeing them starting to displace the traditional big 6 teams. Hopefully West Ham can keep up their recent good form and make English football a bit less Big 6 dominant
WestCoastBlue

Postby skidemin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:48 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:Not sure how it can be argued we're a bigger club than Leicester. Pretty much every metric people measure "club size" in they beat us.
In their entire history they've only spent one season outside the top 2 divisions, when they came first in League 1. They've got 51 top division seasons to our 17.
Crowd sizes are similar, we got consistently bigger crowds in the 50's. However, last time they had an average crowd below 10k was the 1914/15 season. For us, we didn't have an average crowd over 10k between 1978 and 2001.

As a city, Cardiff is bigger (I think, it seems bigger at least) and our stadium is bigger but that's about it. We've got an FA Cup which they don't but that could change in a few weeks.

Despite the new stadium issues, which I wasn't aware of before this thread, I think Leicester are a great example of a well run football club and I'm enjoying seeing them starting to displace the traditional big 6 teams. Hopefully West Ham can keep up their recent good form and make English football a bit less Big 6 dominant

so...on one hand youve got all these metrics proving one thing
but
then go on about them starting to displace one of the top 6 .. on the strength of 1 title and averaging 31k....
attendances.... Man City are the 8th best all time supported club { the lowest of those 6 } currently getting 50k plus and whose average over 120 years is very similar to Leicester best 1 season average
trophies .... Spurs have the least ..2 titles 13 cups.... thats a title and 13 cups more than Leicester...
so aint going to be any displacing going on anytime soon....
skidemin

Postby WestCoastBlue » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:44 am

skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:Not sure how it can be argued we're a bigger club than Leicester. Pretty much every metric people measure "club size" in they beat us.

but
then go on about them starting to displace one of the top 6 .. on the strength of 1 title and averaging 31k....
attendances.... Man City are the 8th best all time supported club { the lowest of those 6 } currently getting 50k plus and whose average over 120 years is very similar to Leicester best 1 season average
trophies .... Spurs have the least ..2 titles 13 cups.... thats a title and 13 cups more than Leicester...

You've misunderstood my point. I mean displacing the top 6 in the sense that Leicester are physically in the top 6 and are matching and surpassing some of the traditional "big 6" teams in the league. I don't mean displacing them as a bigger club.

Until Leicester add another 30k seats to their stadium and win a few dozen trophies they'll be smaller than the likes of Arsenal and Spurs, but at the moment Leicester look to be on a bit of a rise compared to Arsenal who have been in decline for years and Spurs who look to have peaked 5-6 seasons back when they were title challengers, but have done little of note in the league since then.

Hope that's cleared it up.
WestCoastBlue

Postby Pencoed » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:12 am

Judging the size of clubs by average attendances is a bit old school whether we like it or not. Global appeal/exposure of a club is what brings in money and unfortunately that completely dictates the game now. Guillem Balague when talking about the super league said unfortunately local fans, the ones that turn up to the stadium are no longer important to clubs in the top tier.
I don't like any of this but its the way the games gone.
Pencoed

Postby skidemin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:23 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

but

You've misunderstood my point. I mean displacing the top 6 in the sense that Leicester are physically in the top 6 and are matching and surpassing some of the traditional "big 6" teams in the league. I don't mean displacing them as a bigger club.

Until Leicester add another 30k seats to their stadium and win a few dozen trophies they'll be smaller than the likes of Arsenal and Spurs, but at the moment Leicester look to be on a bit of a rise compared to Arsenal who have been in decline for years and Spurs who look to have peaked 5-6 seasons back when they were title challengers, but have done little of note in the league since then.

:lol: :lol..... it was clear originally, you wanted to make a point about Leicester being bigger than us and then completely dropped the metrics thing .... and yes clubs sometimes go through good and bad patches..MUFC got relegated but were still regarded the biggest club in the country... ??????????
skidemin

Postby skidemin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:29 am

Pencoed wrote:Judging the size of clubs by average attendances is a bit old school whether we like it or not. Global appeal/exposure of a club is what brings in money and unfortunately that completely dictates the game now. Guillem Balague when talking about the super league said unfortunately local fans, the ones that turn up to the stadium are no longer important to clubs in the top tier.
I don't like any of this but its the way the games gone.

global appeal indeed is hugely important to a small percentage of clubs... i dont think it is for the vast majority...
skidemin

Postby WestCoastBlue » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:40 am

skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

but

:lol: :lol..... it was clear originally, you wanted to make a point about Leicester being bigger than us and then completely dropped the metrics thing .... and yes clubs sometimes go through good and bad patches..MUFC got relegated but were still regarded the biggest club in the country... ??????????

I'm gonna suggest the reason it was clear I was trying to say Leicester are bigger than us... is because I was trying to say Leicester are bigger than us. I think it's cut and dry but some in the thread disagree so I was giving my POV.

I dropped the metrics cause I moved on from the "Who's bigger" debate. I was just mentioning I think Leicester are a good example of a well run football club, I never said anything about them being bigger than the big 6 or Man Utd. There's no secret double meaning when I say I'm enjoying watching them displace the big 6. I literally mean that Leicester being in the top 6 has pushed out or "displaced" teams like Arsenal and Spurs from the top 6. Likewise with West Ham this season, it's a nice change and I enjoy watching the underdogs being successful.
WestCoastBlue

Postby skidemin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:45 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

but

I'm gonna suggest the reason it was clear I was trying to say Leicester are bigger than us... is because I was trying to say Leicester are bigger than us. I think it's cut and dry but some in the thread disagree so I was giving my POV.

I dropped the metrics cause I moved on from the "Who's bigger" debate. I was just mentioning I think Leicester are a good example of a well run football club, I never said anything about them being bigger than the big 6 or Man Utd. There's no secret double meaning when I say I'm enjoying watching them displace the big 6. I literally mean that Leicester being in the top 6 has pushed out or "displaced" teams like Arsenal and Spurs from the top 6. Likewise with West Ham this season, it's a nice change and I enjoy watching the underdogs being successful.

so are Leicester using your metrics 100% bigger than us and nowhere near even starting to displace a top 6 club....
or can what defines a big club or bigger club include things other than your metrics ? ..
in our case almost a 30 year one way decline with no investment between 1971/72 until Sam arrived... the recovery to where we are now being remarkable...
the club you support { i assume you do } is bigger than you give credit for...
skidemin

Postby WestCoastBlue » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:15 pm

skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

but

so are Leicester using your metrics 100% bigger than us and nowhere near even starting to displace a top 6 club....
or can what defines a big club or bigger club include things other than your metrics ? ..
in our case almost a 30 year one way decline with no investment between 1971/72 until Sam arrived... the recovery to where we are now being remarkable...
the club you support { i assume you do } is bigger than you give credit for...

They're not specifically my metrics, but pretty much every time people talk about size of clubs it's these things that come up. And in all of them, Leicester beat us. However if you think there are other things that can be compared by all means say what they are.

Major honours
Cardiff - 1 FA Cup, 1 Charity Shield
Leicester - 1 League title, 3 League Cups, 1 Charity Shield

Cup Finals
Cardiff - 5
Leicester - 12

Seasons in the top flight
Cardiff - 17
Leicester - 52

Average League position
Cardiff - 32
Leicester - 17

If you want some in depth stats, the website below is great for that sort of stuff:
http://european-football-statistics.co. ... e/leic.htm
http://european-football-statistics.co. ... e/carc.htm

League position by year
League position.png
League position.png (38.53 KiB) Viewed 2281 times

Average attendance by year
Attendance.png
Attendance.png (41.6 KiB) Viewed 2281 times

As I said, if you think there's other comparisons that should be made feel free to say what they are. Apart from stadium size, I can't think of one that Cardiff City would come out on top.
As for how big I consider Cardiff, all I've said is I think we're smaller than Leicester. I'm not sure why that would make you doubt whether I support Cardiff or not :? I'm simply being realistic.
WestCoastBlue

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:53 pm

Espirito Santos at wolves as been touted by his agent Mendes for spurs job? :o
pembroke allan

Return to General Chat