Sign Harry Wilson

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sign Harry Wilson

Postby Paul Keevil » Sat May 01, 2021 5:14 pm

In my view we are at a watershed. This summer the club need to decide whether we are (a) a side looking for promotion or (b) an average run on the mill championship side.

If we are a promotion side we need to be like Norwich and Watford and, like clubs before them, have quality throughout the side

The club need 1 x Marquee signing (£10m) and 1 marquee loan signing and 3 excellent loan players

And by way of future development that should be our blue print every season

For 2021/22 Harry Wilson needs to be our Marquee signing

And I know there are those that will disagree and say we can’t afford it etc and maybe we can’t. But the club need to decide whether we are as ambitious as Watford and Norwich or where we are also rans

And if we are also rans maybe the club should seek to someone who does have the funds and want to take the club forward!
Looking for a Photographer?

Accredited Champions League, Premiership and FL Photographer
Cover RL, RU, Motorsport etc
Accredited - 2012 Olympic Games
Attend "Celebrity Events" - papping
Weddings & Porfolio Work
Paul Keevil

Sign Harry Wilson

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Sign Harry Wilson

Postby Barclay1 » Sat May 01, 2021 5:32 pm

Super post. 100% agree.

I would add a C) to that, and say that if Tan persists with his mad, autocratic grip on the club (I would use the word Vision but that is too positive for what he is doing to us) then we will become another Ipswich. A team who used to be pretty much top Championship every year, but now are really forgotten.

Or even a Wigan........
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby Sneggyblubird » Sat May 01, 2021 6:04 pm

Fair play,when you post absolute shite you don't do it by halves. :lol:
Sneggyblubird

Postby skidemin » Sat May 01, 2021 6:16 pm

should defo seek out a trillionaire...
skidemin

Postby Barclay1 » Sat May 01, 2021 6:18 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:Fair play,when you post absolute shite you don't do it by halves. :lol:

:lol:
Barclay1

Postby Barclay1 » Sat May 01, 2021 6:22 pm

skidemin wrote:should defo seek out a trillionaire...

A billionaire would suffice, or possibly a Multi Millionaire (maybe Multi Multi)

I'd just be happy with someone who gave a manager tools to work with, who understood football, and who actually had a soft spot for us!
Barclay1

Postby skidemin » Sat May 01, 2021 6:30 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
skidemin wrote:should defo seek out a trillionaire...

A billionaire would suffice, or possibly a Multi Millionaire (maybe Multi Multi)

I'd just be happy with someone who gave a manager tools to work with, who understood football, and who actually had a soft spot for us!

yes me too but it isnt very realistic...
we are not going to be building a super squad anytime soon... but he is putting enough in to keep us competitive..
as for soft spots... we dont seem to get local investment, never have ots all rugger.... which is the reason our history doesnt match some smaller cities and we were allowed to spend so many years struggling eventually ending up in the lower leagues...
skidemin

Postby salopiancity » Sat May 01, 2021 7:35 pm

Has anyone noticed most clubs have had hardly any income for a year or so. :laughing6:
salopiancity

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sat May 01, 2021 10:22 pm

salopiancity wrote:Has anyone noticed most clubs have had hardly any income for a year or so. :laughing6:

Good point ;)
TopCat CCFC

Postby WestCoastBlue » Sun May 02, 2021 1:18 am

What exactly about the current ownership makes people think we’re not ambitious about promotion?
8 seasons in the Championship under the current regime and we’ve been promoted twice and finished in the play offs 3 more times. We hired arguably the greatest Championship manager of all time and have broken our transfer record multiple times.

Our relegations weren’t down to lack of ambition either, we spent a fair amount both times and had the issues with Malky not cut his time short and had Sala not lost his life before joining Cardiff, I think we would’ve stayed up both times. We looked quite good under Malky and in Warnock’s season we were quite solid defensively we just struggled to score goals.

In an ideal world we’d be snapping up players like Wilson but if Liverpool still want upwards of 15mil it’ll never happen unfortunately.
WestCoastBlue

Postby Ponty Bluebird » Sun May 02, 2021 6:42 am

Barclay1 wrote:Super post. 100% agree.

I would add a C) to that, and say that if Tan persists with his mad, autocratic grip on the club (I would use the word Vision but that is too positive for what he is doing to us) then we will become another Ipswich. A team who used to be pretty much top Championship every year, but now are really forgotten.

Or even a Wigan........

“For what he is doing to us”? So what’s that then, keeping us afloat maybe??? You don’t half talk some bollocks aye :lol:
Ponty Bluebird

Postby Paul Keevil » Sun May 02, 2021 12:18 pm

When I posted this I knew it would be a bit of a divisive post. But those that know me, and I've been here a long time, know that when I do post I do try to post interesting stuff.

The fact is we have someone at the helm who is keeping us afloat - I agree with that - but according to multiple (and recent) sources VT is worth £750m and recent articles also state that he wants to offload half of his wealth

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/vincent-tan-give-half-wealth-charity-%E2%80%94-report

Now, this is the thing. I am grateful for what he has done for the club - but this post is specific - I am simply saying that if VT wanted to own a Premier League club he could just do it. He could invest £30m in the summer and get us promoted next season and then a further £70m when we are in the Premier League and that would probably suffice. £100m. It is a bit of a no-brainer when you have £200m back if you do get relegated.

So the point I am making is that if he wanted Premier League football. He could just do it. He is wealthy enough. So the question is Why doesn't he - I personally think he has lost interest.

Now I am quite sure that there are other individuals out there, who are richer than VT, who are interested in buying the club, and who are interested in Permanent Premier League football. And if VT does not want to take the club back up then surely the right and proper thing to do would be to allow others to do this.
Looking for a Photographer?

Accredited Champions League, Premiership and FL Photographer
Cover RL, RU, Motorsport etc
Accredited - 2012 Olympic Games
Attend "Celebrity Events" - papping
Weddings & Porfolio Work
Paul Keevil

Postby MoodyBluebird » Sun May 02, 2021 1:14 pm

salopiancity wrote:Has anyone noticed most clubs have had hardly any income for a year or so. :laughing6:

Why ruin someone's dream by stating the bleedin' obvious. What a rotten spoilsport you are heh heh
MoodyBluebird

Postby WestCoastBlue » Sun May 02, 2021 1:15 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:When I posted this I knew it would be a bit of a divisive post. But those that know me, and I've been here a long time, know that when I do post I do try to post interesting stuff.

The fact is we have someone at the helm who is keeping us afloat - I agree with that - but according to multiple (and recent) sources VT is worth £750m and recent articles also state that he wants to offload half of his wealth

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/vincent-tan-give-half-wealth-charity-%E2%80%94-report

Now, this is the thing. I am grateful for what he has done for the club - but this post is specific - I am simply saying that if VT wanted to own a Premier League club he could just do it. He could invest £30m in the summer and get us promoted next season and then a further £70m when we are in the Premier League and that would probably suffice. £100m. It is a bit of a no-brainer when you have £200m back if you do get relegated.

So the point I am making is that if he wanted Premier League football. He could just do it. He is wealthy enough. So the question is Why doesn't he - I personally think he has lost interest.

Now I am quite sure that there are other individuals out there, who are richer than VT, who are interested in buying the club, and who are interested in Permanent Premier League football. And if VT does not want to take the club back up then surely the right and proper thing to do would be to allow others to do this.

I'm maybe misreading, but are you trying to link Tan wanting to offload his wealth as a reason he should put 10's, if not, 100's of millions into CCFC?
In the article he's talking about giving it to charity and providing affordable housing for those in Malaysia "It is only right that I give half of my wealth back to the people and country. It is the right thing to do," So if he was going to go on a spending spree it wouldn't be for Cardiff.

As for not simply pumping money into the club, there's no guarantee we'd get promoted just because we spend £30million and there's also the issue of FFP. How it quite works, I'm a bit unsure but I would imagine if we just went out and spend £100m on transfers in one year, we'd be in breach of it and potentially punished

Couple with that £30million on transfers also doesn't mean £30m spent, there's scout/agent fees as well as wages and signing bonuses. And if we did get promoted, again just spending X amount of money doesn't guarantee survival.

Look at Fulham in 18/19, over £100m and relegated.
Sheffield this season spent over £40m on just 2 players.
Last year Bournemouth and Watford spent in the region of £50m each.

I also think it's doing unfair to imply Tan isn't interested in keeping us in the PL. Malky was backed very well in the transfer window, we spent somewhere between £30m - £40m and this was before Neymar to PSG inflated the market. Likewise under Warnock we spent big on Reid and Murphy as well as Arter and Camarassa on loan and then in January when Warnock wanted a striker we signed Niasse from Everton on loan and were willing to pay £15m for Sala.

As I said above, our relegations in my opinion were not down to Tan not investing. Had Malky stayed I think we would've at least brought it down to the final day and had we got a decent striker in Warnock's season we would definitely have stayed up.
WestCoastBlue

Postby piledriver64 » Sun May 02, 2021 4:03 pm

I said a few weeks ago, if we have any money to spend I would spend a big proportion on Wilson and just add a few others and build the team around Wilson.

Big earners like Smithies, Murphy and Tomlin can go even if it’s on a free, to get rid of the wages.

We have a couple of youngsters that look promising and as long as we keep the other key players (Bennett, Morrison, Moore) we will give it a good go.

The problem is I’m guessing Wilson will want a Premiership move so not really within the clubs control unfortunately.
piledriver64

Postby Sven » Sun May 02, 2021 4:06 pm

Ponty Bluebird wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:Super post. 100% agree.

Or even a Wigan........

“For what he is doing to us”? So what’s that then, keeping us afloat maybe??? You don’t half talk some bollocks aye :lol:

Sam, trust me, it's not his own opinion/view he is putting forward... ;) :roll:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Barclay1 » Sun May 02, 2021 4:40 pm

In fairness, I only voice an opinion and there are many influential posters on here who share my point of view. True to point out there are many who don't.

This MB is a fantastic platform to share an opinion and like you and many more on here I respect all opinions.

If I wasn't on this board this wpuld still be my opinion.
Barclay1

Return to General Chat