Random teams you love

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Random teams you love

Postby Big Hill Blue » Thu May 06, 2021 5:24 pm

Just to level up the other post random teams you hate.

Got to say I love the Harlem Globe Trotter basketball team from the late 70's.
Big Hill Blue

Random teams you love

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Random teams you love

Postby blue note » Thu May 06, 2021 7:47 pm

stirling albion and st helens rugby league club
blue note

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:41 pm

Bristol Rovers. Always loved their kit.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby bluesince62 » Fri May 07, 2021 12:15 pm

None I LOVE bar the city!
But have a soft spot for beşiktaş in turkey.
bluesince62

Postby Fairblue27 » Fri May 07, 2021 1:45 pm

Green Bay Packers for me in the NFL.
Fairblue27

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Fri May 07, 2021 1:46 pm

None. I watched Al Wasl in Dubai for a season and their hospitality was amazing. Their former goalkeeper is now on the board (possibly owns) of the club and is absolutely mental and their biggest fan. He once got annoyed with me for paying to enter as I was his guest. The posh area cost the equivalent of £10 and the cheap area (which I preferred for the singing) was just £2.

Each team were permitted 4 “foreigners” and you could blatantly tell who they were as the national standard was poor in comparison. Kenwyne Jones once took up one of these slots at Al Jazira. Fabio De Lima of Al Wasl was a striker I’d have loved to have seen at Cardiff City, but his wages would have been astronomical in the financially lucrative Dubai based league.

It was interesting to see the dynamics of the fans. There was a drummer, who was elevated on a makeshift wooden structure that didn’t look safe and an appointed person behind him with a loud speaker. They were the ones who chose all the songs, but unlike Vince who often try’s to help songs get going, it was frowned upon if others started a chant. Then there were 4 “section leaders” of sorts. These were easily identified as they were the only people wearing baseball caps, which were fitted backwards. These leaders watched very little of the game and faced the crowd the majority of the time.

Each leader was in charge of a designated section of singers, mainly youngsters, and would orchestrate as to when they were allowed to sing. At no point was there silence as they alternated between the 4 sections. When the atmosphere required ramping up, normally dictated by on field events, two or more sections were permitted to sing. I once witnessed a child being told to shut up as he started singing when it wasn’t his sections turn. :lol:

Why do I mention all this? Because I found it interesting and on occasions amusing, although nothing comes close to Cardiff City. It’s more than just the football for me, it’s childhood memories of long-lost relatives and a chance to meet my mates and no other club could ever come close. :bluebird:
103 Barmy Army

Postby rumpo kid » Fri May 07, 2021 3:33 pm

Ajax Amsterdam.. great kit, some fantastic footballers..
rumpo kid

Postby maccydee » Fri May 07, 2021 6:32 pm

St Johnstone.

Managed them in soccer supremos play by Mail football management game.

Always loved them after that.
maccydee

Postby Bazforh1927 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:29 pm

Forfar Athletic - Howay the Loons!
Bazforh1927

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Sat May 08, 2021 12:01 am

maccydee wrote:St Johnstone.

My mate Sam (ex RAF Regt) does the Dogger Saints unofficial St Johnstone Podcast. It’s quite interesting as he loves his football and gets plenty of guest speakers. Worth a listen for anyone into football, but as you can imagine it’s based purely on Scottish football, particularly the Saints.
103 Barmy Army

Postby pengamblue » Sat May 08, 2021 6:56 am

Aberbargoed buds ( my local team) Cardiff city reserves
pengamblue

Postby Jock » Sat May 08, 2021 8:53 am

SV Hamburg
Jock

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Sat May 08, 2021 11:25 am

pengamblue wrote:Aberbargoed buds ( my local team) Cardiff city reserves

The Buds are a good team in all fairness, but when I was a kid I hated playing Pengam as they always put double figures past us (Jubilee Youth) and had a quality team (I’m 42). I’m originally from new Tredegar, home of DB23. :lol:
103 Barmy Army

Postby maccydee » Sat May 08, 2021 11:52 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:

My mate Sam (ex RAF Regt) does the Dogger Saints unofficial St Johnstone Podcast. It’s quite interesting as he loves his football and gets plenty of guest speakers. Worth a listen for anyone into football, but as you can imagine it’s based purely on Scottish football, particularly the Saints.

He would have loved me as a manager. Took them to division one. Had a 110,000 capacity McDairmid Park and won the cup one year.
maccydee

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Sat May 08, 2021 1:29 pm

maccydee wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:

He would have loved me as a manager. Took them to division one. Had a 110,000 capacity McDairmid Park and won the cup one year.

Sounds like a bit of “save game” was going on. We’ve all done it, but then feel dirty afterwards. :lol:

My mate was on QCS when he went on the TV show called Tipping Point. He was doing really well until he responded “forty five” in answer to the question “how many minutes in a quarter of an hour.” It’s hard to live that one down and the PVR was to shortly follow. :lol:
103 Barmy Army

Postby robjohn » Sat May 08, 2021 2:01 pm

Bristol rovers
robjohn

Postby robjohn » Sat May 08, 2021 2:03 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:Just to level up the other post random teams you hate.

Got to say I love the Harlem Globe Trotter basketball team from the late 70's.

yes agree also Miami dolphins for some reason
robjohn

Postby maccydee » Sat May 08, 2021 2:03 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:
maccydee wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:

Sounds like a bit of “save game” was going on. We’ve all done it, but then feel dirty afterwards. :lol:

My mate was on QCS when he went on the TV show called Tipping Point. He was doing really well until he responded “forty five” in answer to the question “how many minutes in a quarter of an hour.” It’s hard to live that one down and the PVR was to shortly follow. :lol:

I’d be more surprise if a rock knew the right answer.

It was play by Mail in real-time, no save games.
maccydee

Postby GrangeEndStar » Sat May 08, 2021 5:04 pm

Vitesse Arnhem because of how they pay respect to the Para's. Partick Thistle because of their mascot, Kingsley. And Keith FC as it's a mad name.
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Postby Blueman39 » Sat May 08, 2021 5:37 pm

FC Zurich...son got me their shirt as a surprise...just a random pick .
Blueman39

Postby Bakedalasker » Sat May 08, 2021 6:56 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:None. I watched Al Wasl in Dubai for a season and their hospitality was amazing. Their former goalkeeper is now on the board (possibly owns) of the club and is absolutely mental and their biggest fan. He once got annoyed with me for paying to enter as I was his guest. The posh area cost the equivalent of £10 and the cheap area (which I preferred for the singing) was just £2.

Each team were permitted 4 “foreigners” and you could blatantly tell who they were as the national standard was poor in comparison. Kenwyne Jones once took up one of these slots at Al Jazira. Fabio De Lima of Al Wasl was a striker I’d have loved to have seen at Cardiff City, but his wages would have been astronomical in the financially lucrative Dubai based league.

It was interesting to see the dynamics of the fans. There was a drummer, who was elevated on a makeshift wooden structure that didn’t look safe and an appointed person behind him with a loud speaker. They were the ones who chose all the songs, but unlike Vince who often try’s to help songs get going, it was frowned upon if others started a chant. Then there were 4 “section leaders” of sorts. These were easily identified as they were the only people wearing baseball caps, which were fitted backwards. These leaders watched very little of the game and faced the crowd the majority of the time.

Each leader was in charge of a designated section of singers, mainly youngsters, and would orchestrate as to when they were allowed to sing. At no point was there silence as they alternated between the 4 sections. When the atmosphere required ramping up, normally dictated by on field events, two or more sections were permitted to sing. I once witnessed a child being told to shut up as he started singing when it wasn’t his sections turn. :lol:

Why do I mention all this? Because I found it interesting and on occasions amusing, although nothing comes close to Cardiff City. It’s more than just the football for me, it’s childhood memories of long-lost relatives and a chance to meet my mates and no other club could ever come close. :bluebird:

I witnessed the same in Saudi. My trainee took me to his local club. I was the only white eye there. I stuck out like a sore thumb as I was the only one in western clothing. At no time though did I feel intimidated by it. It was like it did not matter who you were as long as you supported the team. That's football for you breaking boundaries.

Saying all that in mind and as we left the stadium one stranger came up to me and said in perfect English "all that is needed now is an English pub so we can go and celebrate".
Bakedalasker

Postby salopiancity » Sat May 08, 2021 9:08 pm

Alloa Athletic. One of the two first sets of players I had in the Subutteo game aged approx 8 in 1968. Really liked the orange & black hoops. Memory has always stayed with me weirdly.
salopiancity

Postby 103 Barmy Army » Sun May 09, 2021 6:20 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:None. I watched Al Wasl in Dubai for a season and their hospitality was amazing. Their former goalkeeper is now on the board (possibly owns) of the club and is absolutely mental and their biggest fan. He once got annoyed with me for paying to enter as I was his guest. The posh area cost the equivalent of £10 and the cheap area (which I preferred for the singing) was just £2.

I witnessed the same in Saudi. My trainee took me to his local club. I was the only white eye there. I stuck out like a sore thumb as I was the only one in western clothing. At no time though did I feel intimidated by it. It was like it did not matter who you were as long as you supported the team. That's football for you breaking boundaries.

Saying all that in mind and as we left the stadium one stranger came up to me and said in perfect English "all that is needed now is an English pub so we can go and celebrate".

:lol: Can’t beat a pub! Oddly enough, my mate joked that he felt that all us Westerners were being encouraged to sit together and referred to it as “Westerners corner.” You’re right about the lack of intimidation and no one was staring at us either, despite being dressed differently and standing out.
103 Barmy Army

Return to General Chat