MY VIEW: “ WILL MICK McCARTHY? “

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri May 07, 2021 6:45 am

Will Mick McCarthy have any money for transfers this summer?

Is Mick playing it down and said their is NO money and will have to sell before he can buy?

It is a damn good question.

MY VIEW / OPINION:

The problem is that the answer is 100% related to the budget that Tan will give to th manager as related to :

(A) the players total wages

(B) the net difference between buying and selling players.

Therefore there is no answer as to which players we want to keep until we know the answer to the above questions. I will be very pleasantly surprised if Tan is not very concerned and even pissed with the whole CCFC situation :

(1)Tan has sunk into our club a very substantial amount of money already

(2) COVID 19 has had a serious effect on finances

(3) *There are no more parachute payments

(4) The club is facing serious big court cases

(5) Some of the players are not needed either because they are not good enough or because they are injury prone , especially those on high wages and who have running contracts and are difficult to shift

(6) On top of all that the club is losing money at an alarming rate per month.

Therefore suppose Tan gives MM a low budget then some high earners that we desperately need may have to go. Also suppose that there is no budget to buy players or even suppose that MM may even be asked to generate money - never mind to sell before you buy.

On the other hand it is possible (though unlikely) that MM has a good salary budget and a good net positive buying budget ..... then our expectations will be different.

One very significant positive issue is that most of our competitors are in the same boat . Many clubs may want to move qualit players and also players may have to accept lower wages.

Conclusion : It is going to be one hell of a July/August to look to in great anticipation ....... and it is very much dependent on Tan’s appetite financially and his willingness to persevere with us.
Attachments
038943C9-C2E1-4844-A8FF-B52360635408.jpeg
038943C9-C2E1-4844-A8FF-B52360635408.jpeg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 5212 times
24C1AA56-A7F9-4CE2-86D8-21E207DB3993.jpeg
24C1AA56-A7F9-4CE2-86D8-21E207DB3993.jpeg (39.56 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: MY VIEW: “ WILL MICK McCARTHY? “

Postby Sneggyblubird » Fri May 07, 2021 7:43 am

The first thing the club must do is manage expectation.Most if not all clubs are in the same boat as us so I guess we should be looking to sign quality out of contract or lower league players.
Sneggyblubird

Postby bluesince62 » Fri May 07, 2021 12:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Will Mick McCarthy have any money for transfers this summer?

Is Mick playing it down and said their is NO money and will have to sell before he can buy?

MY VIEW / OPINION:

The problem is that the answer is 100% related to the budget that Tan will give to th manager as related to :

Therefore there is no answer as to which players we want to keep until we know the answer to the above questions. I will be very pleasantly surprised if Tan is not very concerned and even pissed with the whole CCFC situation :

(5) Some of the players are not needed either because they are not good enough or because they are injury prone , especially those on high wages and who have running contracts and are difficult to shift

Therefore suppose Tan gives MM a low budget then some high earners that we desperately need may have to go. Also suppose that there is no budget to buy players or even suppose that MM may even be asked to generate money - never mind to sell before you buy.

On the other hand it is possible (though unlikely) that MM has a good salary budget and a good net positive buying budget ..... then our expectations will be different.

One very significant positive issue is that most of our competitors are in the same boat . Many clubs may want to move qualit players and also players may have to accept lower wages.

Conclusion : It is going to be one hell of a July/August to look to in great anticipation ....... and it is very much dependent on Tan’s appetite financially and his willingness to persevere with us.

Good post Annis,as we know your feelings regards tan, but a very unbias post mate.
bluesince62

Postby derynglas » Fri May 07, 2021 3:36 pm

Think the point about players having to accept lower wage contracts id extremely prevalent :thumbright:. One would imagine that there’ll be more value (for want of a better word) in the free agent market this year.
derynglas

Postby maccydee » Fri May 07, 2021 3:48 pm

We hear a lot no money to buy players then end up buying players.

Moore, Phillips, Ng and Watters arrived last year.

They are being spent now.

Previously it was known we had money to spend and we have spent crazy money on not very good players.

David Hughes and Gavin Gordon back in the Sam days.

Cornelius and many more under Tan.

Tan has smartened up or been smartened up.
maccydee

Postby skidemin » Fri May 07, 2021 5:42 pm

maccydee wrote:We hear a lot no money to buy players then end up buying players.

Previously it was known we had money to spend and we have spent crazy money on not very good players.

David Hughes was unlucky with injuries and had to retire young... no crystal ball in those days either...
skidemin

Postby maccydee » Fri May 07, 2021 6:29 pm

skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:We hear a lot no money to buy players then end up buying players.

David Hughes was unlucky with injuries and had to retire young... no crystal ball in those days either...

Still 600k mate.
maccydee

Postby skidemin » Fri May 07, 2021 6:51 pm

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Still 600k mate.

not a very good player was what you posted.... which is not true ... who knows how valuable to us he might have been without pi55 poor luck ...
skidemin

Postby maccydee » Fri May 07, 2021 7:06 pm

skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Still 600k mate.

not a very good player was what you posted.... which is not true ... who knows how valuable to us he might have been without pi55 poor luck ...

Fair point but was still over priced. Mainly because we were seen as chequebook Cardiff
maccydee

Postby Barclay1 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:29 pm

Tan won't put any money in for transfers. He is keeping us Alive and that's it.

There is no interest in buying players, why should there be? He'll just pick the kids next season to fill the gaping holes
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby maccydee » Fri May 07, 2021 10:28 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Tan won't put any money in for transfers. He is keeping us Alive and that's it.

There is no interest in buying players, why should there be? He'll just pick the kids next season to fill the gaping holes

You make this up based on what?
maccydee

Postby Barclay1 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:45 pm

It's my opinion of the man. I just look at how he ran us last year.

I credit him with keeping us Alive, but without doubt we ran on far more of a skeleton staff player wise last year than I have ever known and more So than a host of other clubs who are in the same or worse financial situation we are in. I couldn't read a paper around transfer day last year to see that 'another player had left then another.

Ok, he is trimming the squad, fine, but I believe he has a fixation with Swansea and their youth. I also believe 100% that he is pushing those youth of ours to play, not because they are good enough, but because it is cheap.

Tan also has a fixation on players like Jamie Vardy, a non league player made good. These are few and far between, but again I believe Tan thinks/hopes we will get lucky...but what he really likes? Lower league players are cheap.

I really don't see him going for value for money, and I don't see him having any interest in us.

I enjoy reading your posts and as City fans we just want to see our club thrive. We have a different opinion on the owner. I respect you feel he is doing a difficult job through a difficult time, and there is a 'needs must' process.

To me he wants out, out, out. And is cutting costs to the point of barely keeping us Alive and not giving a manager any tools to do a job.
Barclay1

Postby maccydee » Sat May 08, 2021 11:55 am

Barclay1 wrote:It's my opinion of the man. I just look at how he ran us last year.

I credit him with keeping us Alive, but without doubt we ran on far more of a skeleton staff player wise last year than I have ever known and more So than a host of other clubs who are in the same or worse financial situation we are in. I couldn't read a paper around transfer day last year to see that 'another player had left then another.

Ok, he is trimming the squad, fine, but I believe he has a fixation with Swansea and their youth. I also believe 100% that he is pushing those youth of ours to play, not because they are good enough, but because it is cheap.

Tan also has a fixation on players like Jamie Vardy, a non league player made good. These are few and far between, but again I believe Tan thinks/hopes we will get lucky...but what he really likes? Lower league players are cheap.

I really don't see him going for value for money, and I don't see him having any interest in us.

I enjoy reading your posts and as City fans we just want to see our club thrive. We have a different opinion on the owner. I respect you feel he is doing a difficult job through a difficult time, and there is a 'needs must' process.

To me he wants out, out, out. And is cutting costs to the point of barely keeping us Alive and not giving a manager any tools to do a job.

Then you need to state it is your opinion. Writing something like I don’t think will change the whole context of your post and instead of coming across as you stating facts it will show as your opinion.
maccydee

Postby skidemin » Sat May 08, 2021 3:08 pm

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Still 600k mate.

Fair point but was still over priced. Mainly because we were seen as chequebook Cardiff

i know we spent money but we did go up twice in 3 years as well.... mistakes ? every single club makes them.. and tbh we make far less than most...
skidemin

Postby Barclay1 » Sat May 08, 2021 4:04 pm

Everything I say is my opinion. I have zero inside information.

Having followed the club and seen ups and downs, highs and lows, over 48 years, I see trends from years gone by.

I said before we lost to Bristol City at home at the beginning of the season that this would be a tough year. Even though we have finished far higher than we expected, I still maintain it has been a tough year on and off the field for the fans and the players.
Barclay1

Postby Danny Says » Sat May 08, 2021 4:08 pm

He should have already been on the phone to Barry Bannon’s agent.
He needs to ditch Bacuna, Ralls, Vaulks, Flint, Murphy, Williams & Pack.
He needs to bring in better players to replace all those.
Easier said than done but seriously we saw today how limited in basic skills, pace and creativity we are.
Danny Says

Postby Sven » Sat May 08, 2021 4:32 pm

bluesince62 wrote:

MY VIEW / OPINION:

Good post Annis,as we know your feelings regards tan, but a very unbias post mate.

I have to agree with you, Paul :thumbup:

A very faorcassessment from Annis that covers most of the questions good, bad and/or indifferent

For me, I believe Tan will support his manager with wages but transfer money will largely have to be self-generated

But, these are strange times with some decent players out of cotract or released this summer and we need to be well on top of our recruitment

If Mick McCarthy can manage that, we will be in a strong position to be pushing again next season

A good end to the season after the debacle of 'Arris and that bodes well going forward
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby pembroke allan » Sat May 08, 2021 4:37 pm

Sven wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

MY VIEW / OPINION:

I have to agree with you, Paul :thumbup:

A very faorcassessment from Annis that covers most of the questions good, bad and/or indifferent

For me, I believe Tan will support his manager with wages but transfer money will largely have to be self-generated

But, these are strange times with some decent players out of cotract or released this summer and we need to be well on top of our recruitment

If Mick McCarthy can manage that, we will be in a strong position to be pushing again next season

A good end to the season after the debacle of 'Arris and that bodes well going forward

Well we are not alone in having to wheel and deal yhus summer? Did point out recently that relegated teams are now seeing the wisdom of keeping manager and players as it is best way of getting promotion straight away. So expect same next season so going to be hard to make top two without good recruitment of the better out contract players available.
pembroke allan

Postby skidemin » Sat May 08, 2021 4:41 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Everything I say is my opinion. I have zero inside information.

Having followed the club and seen ups and downs, highs and lows, over 48 years, I see trends from years gone by.

I said before we lost to Bristol City at home at the beginning of the season that this would be a tough year. Even though we have finished far higher than we expected, I still maintain it has been a tough year on and off the field for the fans and the players.

i get it when fans who jumped on when Sam arrived or when we got to the cup final thinking this was tough but
bar a couple of weeks where the relegation zone seemed to be getting a bit to close and a couple where play offs seemed possible its been comfortable mid table .. you must have experienced much tougher...
skidemin

Return to General Chat