Future prospects of Cardiff City

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby EL JEFE » Sat May 08, 2021 12:41 pm

After watching today’s game and previous encounters this year I see nothing, nothing in the make of Cardiff city Management wise, playing side, that is going to get either promotion or even in the top six next season.

What they do on the training pitch is beyond true supporters,this kick and hope football is boring to watch and probably boring to play.we are about to loose the only class we have had this season and we are left with the likes of Baccuna and Rolls. Without Morrison the defence is a shambles and the attack is except for one man next to useless.

We have to make some good buy’s otherwise another up and down season and we will be looking for another management team again.

It all sounds depressing but after watching Cardiff City for 67 years but I think I am entitled to an opinion for what I believe to be right.
EL JEFE

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Future prospects of Cardiff City

Postby nick_strin » Sat May 08, 2021 1:35 pm

I'd totally agree on that. Think there will be quite a few offloaded over the summer if a buyer or loan can be found.
Season ticket holder, Ninian Stand block 112.
nick_strin

Postby davids » Sat May 08, 2021 1:43 pm

EL JEFE wrote:After watching today’s game and previous encounters this year I see nothing, nothing in the make of Cardiff city Management wise, playing side, that is going to get either promotion or even in the top six next season. What they do on the training pitch is beyond true supporters,this kick and hope football is boring to watch and probably boring to play.we are about to loose the only class we have had this season and we are left with the likes of Baccuna and Rolls. Without Morrison the defence is a shambles and the attack is except for one man next to useless.
We have to make some good buy’s otherwise another up and down season and we will be looking for another management team again.
It all sounds depressing but after watching Cardiff City for 67 years but I think I am entitled to an opinion for what I believe to be right.

It's very difficult to argue with anything you say.
davids

Postby EastleighBlue » Sat May 08, 2021 1:45 pm

Talk about negativity. Since McCarthy came in we've only lost three games and have finished 8th. Given where we were under Harris I think we should be much more positive about the future. Yes the football at times have been poor but McCarthy got a tune out of with what he had. On a limited budget next year, like many clubs, I still fancy for us to have a go again. Lets just see what McCarthy can do in the transfer market over the summer shall we,
EastleighBlue

Postby theclaw » Sat May 08, 2021 1:51 pm

A difficult team to beat is a good starting point :thumbup:
theclaw

Postby Baz1951 » Sat May 08, 2021 2:02 pm

Get Patto back now Wednesday are down
Baz1951

Postby Crayfish » Sat May 08, 2021 2:04 pm

At the moment you would have to say we would be a Millwall type hard to beat hard to watch mid table side next season no chance of the top six and probably no chance of relegation. With little or no money to spend MM will have to be very savvy on the transfer market at least one other decent player will have to come from the under 23s. When I say savvy on the transfer market I don't mean signing Johnny Williams.

Will just be glad to get back to actually going to a game.
Crayfish

Postby Blueberry Jam » Sat May 08, 2021 2:23 pm

Need a complete new midfield. If MM cant address that then we have no chance of promotion next season.
We can't put 2 passes together.
Blueberry Jam

Postby stentona » Sat May 08, 2021 2:26 pm

[quote][/quote]I completely agree with you (sorry to say). We are a complete shambles. These are the changes we need but we know aren't going to happen:

Defence
We have been left scraping the barrell this season, with injuries to Joe Bennett, Joel Bagan, Tom Sang, Osei Tutu and latterly Sean Morrison. Ciaran Brown is ok filling in at CB but doesn't offer going forward in the LB position.
So, we need two decent replacement full backs, one on each flank. Pack may be an option as a more 'ball playing' CB - he could convert to that position but lack of pace worries me. So for me, we need a new CB with a bit more confidence on the ball.

Midfield
What midfield?
This has been THE problem area for the past few seasons. Too slow, too defensive and apart from Tomlin last season no creativity on or with the ball.
Colwill has potential but could do with a couple of quality players around him - maybe one solid 'Kav' type player and another creative but willing to put in a shift.
Get rid:Tomlin (I'd like to think we could get another season out of him but that's more wishful thinking)
Get rid: Bacuna. Truly, what does he offer?
Get rid: Ralls. A good servant but now only mid table mediocrity.

If Barnsley don't go up I would try and get Cauley Woodrow. Other than that there are bound to be some decent out of contract players available. I genuinely believe our midfield needs a complete makeover - a blend of young/hungry with a bit of talent! and someone who can break up play and get us going forward quickly.

Forward line:
Keep Moore at all costs. Quality back up needed, plus two wide players and a 10.
Get rid: Murphy
I would be tempted to keep Junior and convert him to a 10 as I think he could be a decent back up there.

I don't have suggestions as to who to bring in but a couple of good loans (similar to this season) would also help
Last edited by stentona on Sat May 08, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stentona

Postby Escott1927 » Sat May 08, 2021 2:27 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:Talk about negativity. Since McCarthy came in we've only lost three games and have finished 8th. Given where we were under Harris I think we should be much more positive about the future. Yes the football at times have been poor but McCarthy got a tune out of with what he had. On a limited budget next year, like many clubs, I still fancy for us to have a go again. Lets just see what McCarthy can do in the transfer market over the summer shall we,

But we've only won 4 in the last 14. And that run is probably a better reflection as what to expect next season. I'm thinking midtable playing shite football. Too organised to go down but nowhere near the quality to trouble top 6.
Escott1927

Postby HarriRhys22 » Sat May 08, 2021 2:31 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:Talk about negativity. Since McCarthy came in we've only lost three games and have finished 8th. Given where we were under Harris I think we should be much more positive about the future. Yes the football at times have been poor but McCarthy got a tune out of with what he had. On a limited budget next year, like many clubs, I still fancy for us to have a go again. Lets just see what McCarthy can do in the transfer market over the summer shall we,

People seem to have forgotten that we finished 5th last season from a similar position with Harris as our Manager and he brought in some better players,Moore, Wilson,Ojo,Tutu,NG and look what happened to him! MM will be replaced by Christmas and so we go on on the path to nowhere!
HarriRhys22

Postby bluesince62 » Sat May 08, 2021 3:04 pm

Id rather wait & see what happens in transfer window tbh, we dont jave a scooby as to who will be leaving or coming in. Way too early to predict for me.
bluesince62

Postby llan bluebird » Sat May 08, 2021 3:38 pm

No one has any money though, so i think it will be possible to change the dynamic for very little up front cash.

Colwell needs to go on loan for a season in L2, it will buy him the time he needs on the pitch to make the jump from U23 to the real professional game.
llan bluebird

Postby skidemin » Sat May 08, 2021 4:03 pm

EL JEFE wrote:After watching today’s game and previous encounters this year I see nothing, nothing in the make of Cardiff city Management wise, playing side, that is going to get either promotion or even in the top six next season. What they do on the training pitch is beyond true supporters,this kick and hope football is boring to watch and probably boring to play.we are about to loose the only class we have had this season and we are left with the likes of Baccuna and Rolls. Without Morrison the defence is a shambles and the attack is except for one man next to useless.

depressing ? things can always be better but could also be a damn sight worse....
ive not got the 67 year badge but ive seen much much worse and not just for the odd season either.... we finished 8th and ive seen us finish lower than that often a hell of a lot lower 40 times.... sorry but some have a short memory....
skidemin

Postby skiprat » Sat May 08, 2021 5:11 pm

67 years ? That makes your first season 1954.we finished 10th in the old first division. Unfortunately in all that time we haven't come anywhere near improving on that.so yes you have seen worse much worse.
skiprat

Postby EL JEFE » Sat May 08, 2021 5:29 pm

I have not got a bad memory regarding the City, I can remember the bad old days of Andrews, Durban, Osbourne the bad days at the end of Schooler etc, etc, etc recently Trollop, Harris last days.To play this game at professional level you have to have skill and discipline many times we lack either, the goal today by Rotherham today whilst a great shot was unnecessary because the ball should have been cleared but it was not because we lacked the discipline to deal with it.

A few games ago at home we had a free kick two yards outside the apposition penalty area, the ball went two yards to the left two yards back and then back to the goalkeeper, it was a free kick to us for Christ sake and it went back to the goalie.

We have finish 8th because we showed fight in a lot of matches, but we did not have the skill and discipline to finish higher.
EL JEFE

Postby pembroke allan » Sat May 08, 2021 5:46 pm

Why do people think that every season will be same as next one before the transfer window as started even? 10 wins 9 draws and 3 defeats says that are can be competitive at top end next season and with maybe 4 shrewd signings top 6 distinct possibility? Look at Barnsley favourites for relegation struggle..... wonder where they finished... and Leicester bottom
4 following season what happened ? :lol: That should be an indication what can and does happen rather wollow in what's gone on before ...... :old:
pembroke allan

Postby Winchmore Hill Bluebird » Sat May 08, 2021 5:49 pm

I have had 58 years of supporting the City. This season is positionally one of the better years. Nobody can say otherwise in my opinion. Next season will be interesting to say the least- how will it pan out? Playoffs I reckon.
Winchmore Hill Bluebird

Postby Sven » Sat May 08, 2021 5:49 pm

EL JEFE wrote:I have not got a bad memory regarding the City, I can remember the bad old days of Andrews, Durban, Osbourne the bad days at the end of Schooler etc, etc, etc recently Trollop, Harris last days.To play this game at professional level you have to have skill and discipline many times we lack either, the goal today by Rotherham today whilst a great shot was unnecessary because the ball should have been cleared but it was not because we lacked the discipline to deal with it.

A few games ago at home we had a free kick two yards outside the apposition penalty area, the ball went two yards to the left two yards back and then back to the goalkeeper, it was a free kick to us for Christ sake and it went back to the goalie.

We have finish 8th because we showed fight in a lot of matches, but we did not have the skill and discipline to finish higher.

You (quote) "have not got bad memory regarding the City..." but then go on to say (quote again) "I can remember the bad old days of Andrews, Durban, Osbourne the bad days at the end of Schooler etc, etc, etc recently Trollop, Harris last days"

Which is it...? :?

1968 for me, so able to recall a lot of the really 'bad' days and these are not them...

We've been spoiled over the last few years since Sam started the 'modernisation' of Cardiff City FC and whilst one or two poor management decisions have been made, we have largely got it right (Malky, Warnock, McCarthy at the right time and dare I say it, Russell Slade)

Certainly, our playing style is not the best but Mick mcCarthy inherited the current squad and we'll see how he fares next season when he has no excuses whatsoever; and I feel sure he will be content with that... :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby pembroke allan » Sat May 08, 2021 5:58 pm

Winchmore Hill Bluebird wrote:I have had 58 years of supporting the City. This season is positionally one of the better years. Nobody can say otherwise in my opinion. Next season will be interesting to say the least- how will it pan out? Playoffs I reckon.

Has been a good finish but people want and expect top 6 every season unrealistically! Football is not an exact science when it comes to results or performances even from one game to another performance can be massively different.... musnt
Forget MM as a good record for promotion from championship and with a good close season and transfer window can be optimistic for next season...
pembroke allan

Postby skidemin » Sat May 08, 2021 6:38 pm

EL JEFE wrote:I have not got a bad memory regarding the City, I can remember the bad old days of Andrews, Durban, Osbourne the bad days at the end of Schooler etc, etc, etc recently Trollop, Harris last days.To play this game at professional level you have to have skill and discipline many times we lack either, the goal today by Rotherham today whilst a great shot was unnecessary because the ball should have been cleared but it was not because we lacked the discipline to deal with it.

in 67 years youve singled out a free kick from a few games ago and a player not being closed down quick enough today :?
skidemin

Postby pembroke allan » Sat May 08, 2021 6:56 pm

skidemin wrote:

in 67 years youve singled out a free kick from a few games ago and a player not being closed down quick enough today :?
pembroke allan

Postby WestCoastBlue » Sat May 08, 2021 7:06 pm

Personally I would've attributed finishing 8th to the disastrous collapse we had around Christmas time where we lost 5 games in a row and the generally poor start to the season which had us flirting with the relegation zone for most of the first few months.
8th is a great finish this season all things considered.
WestCoastBlue

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sat May 08, 2021 8:14 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:

Personally I would've attributed finishing 8th to the disastrous collapse we had around Christmas time where we lost 5 games in a row and the generally poor start to the season which had us flirting with the relegation zone for most of the first few months.
8th is a great finish this season all things considered.

I agree.
Just need a few players who are comfortable on the ball and a bit of pace out wide and we’ll be ok imo.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Scoularite » Sat May 08, 2021 8:31 pm

Postby bluesince62 » Sat May 08, 2021 3:04 pm

Id rather wait & see what happens in transfer window tbh, we dont jave a scooby as to who will be leaving or coming in. Way too early to predict for me.

Totally agree, apart from "jave".

We know that we have the makings of a good team, but that could all change during the transfer window. We know that we need some creativity in midfield plus support up front, but if Keiffer Moore were to be sold the whole picture will change.
:old:
Scoularite

Postby Barclay1 » Sun May 09, 2021 7:40 am

I agree 100%.

Whereas we dont have a God given right to be at the top end of the table, we do have a right as supporters to see a manager given tools to at least try, and not have his squad, already ravaged by injury, stripped from him. ( Please dont mention Keiffer; he couldn't do it on his own, and was unable to take a breather as we got rid of the only like for like replacement)

It would also be nice to have an owner who gave a damn.

You know I'd say it, and you knew I'd bite. A new positive chapter is needed for Cardiff City.

Anyway, as an aside, Having followed The Bluebirds for 48 years... who the hell is Osbourne?? :lol:
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby Winchmore Hill Bluebird » Sun May 09, 2021 8:11 am

He probably meant Russell Osman! An easy mistake or typo trying to recall all the major names surrounding the City during 67 years of support.
Winchmore Hill Bluebird

Postby EL JEFE » Sun May 09, 2021 8:16 am

Russel Osbourne was manager of Cardiff City for a short time I think in the seventies, also -payed a part in a prison camp football film with Rainey Marsh and I think Sylvester Stallone.and the football was not too great then either, it’s better now but if as fans say we are a big club, we should be doing better with more discipline not hoof football, it obvious some people don’t agree with me, I don’t agree with them either, my right and their right to disagree.just don’t show ignorance with immature comments. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
EL JEFE

Postby EL JEFE » Sun May 09, 2021 8:19 am

Thank you Winchester Hill blue,
Yes I did my mistake. :bluebird: :bluebird:
EL JEFE

Postby Barclay1 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:05 am

Yes I remember... a weird joint manager situation at times with Kenny Hibbit.

I think I read somewhere they were telling players different tactics, and not to listen to the other.

Not sure they actually liked each other!

Here's a question..... I can think of two other occasions when we had joint managers. Neither worked well at all. Anyone care to have a stab at who they were?
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Next

Return to General Chat