Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Mick McCarthy: "I was saying the other day, if we aim for

Sat May 08, 2021 6:15 pm

Cardiff City 1 Rotherham 1 as Rotherham relegated

Mick McCarthy:

"I was saying the other day, if we aim for the moon we might land in the stars," McCarthy said after the draw with the Millers.

"It is always our intention to finish as high as we possibly can.

"If we can build on what we have seen this year, since January, and the nucleus we've got — because we'll be losing players, there will be a turnaround, there's no doubt — then I'll be optimistic for next season."

It appears this summer will see quite a sizeable turnover in players, with as many as six players out of contract. McCarthy said we would find out about who is staying and who is going very soon.

The three loan players will all return to their parent clubs, too, so there are some big holes which need filling in the transfer window.

McCarthy, though, boasts a tremendous record with this group of players, just three defeats in 22 matches.

When he reflects on his time in charge as a whole, he is right to look back with pride.

"I'm a bit miffed, I thought we could have had more points with some of them draws, but then you could probably look across games and see we got a win when we shouldn't have done," McCarthy added.

"I think, overall, 10 wins, nine draws, three defeats is an excellent return.

"The lads have been brilliant. From where we were - had we lost at Bristol City we'd have gone fourth bottom that day and we might have been in this sort of situation (Rotherham).

"So to be playing to finish seventh and on 70 points is a much better outcome, that's for sure."

No doubt next season, he will do everything in his power to better that tally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.