Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Rubin Colwill “

Sun May 09, 2021 8:55 am

Rubin Colwill:
“Grateful to have been awarded Academy Player of the Year. It’s been a great season thanks to everyone that’s helped me get to this point. Time to work hard and come back better for next season... “ :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Rubin Colwill born in Neath , aged 19 and broke in to the Cardiff City first team in the last month :bluebird: :bluebird:

Rubin Colwill's first league start for the club came in a 2-1 win over Wycombe Wanderers on 24 April 2021 :bluebird:

The first Cardiff City Accademy player to come through under the present CCFC board in the last 11 years , Congratulations Rubin :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Hopefully we will see Rubin a regular first team player next season, love it when local players make Cardiff’s first team :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Let’s hope many others now follow and make the Cardiff City first team :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluescarf:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ Rubin Colwill “

Sun May 09, 2021 9:11 am

I had been hoping in the last five games we would of seen the likes of Isaak Davies, Sam Bowen and Kieron Evans especially even more in the last two games and after watching yesterday’s game we played awful and could def have not been worse twitch these lads playing.

We keep hearing praise beyond but we are not seeing them play even for 20 mins , they are 19 & 20
year old lads and so they def are not kids anymore.

Would of like to have seen them and see if they were good enough to play in the first team next season .

Sun May 09, 2021 10:01 am

We have missed a great chance to play the boys in the last 3/4 games.
You don’t get many times to play games without any pressure as we were safe from relegation.
Next season a few of them should be pushing for first team football as we will lose a few this summer.
All the loans will be gone.Players out of contract won’t be resigned.

I don’t see us signing players unless on a free which are not cheap as they get a fee to sign.
Lower wages will make it harder to sign quality players.
Loans will be the best way forward.

The manager has a big job rebuilding the squad over the next 2 years.
Hopefully that we get players that can pass to teammates retain possession.
The standard of football the last 5/6 years has not been good to watch with poor passing.
Winning playing bad is considered a strong point, when losing it’s difficult to watch then the crowd want a new manager then we start again repeating same

Hopefully the young players can get to the standard to play in first team GOOD LUCK to them.

Sun May 09, 2021 10:10 am

A real prospect.
Bit of a learning curve for him yesterday as it was a real battle. Good for his football education though.

Sun May 09, 2021 10:17 am

From the moment the play offs were beyond us our future players should have been given some game time.

Sun May 09, 2021 10:55 am

He may be the first to come through the academy for 11 years, but is it that surprising?

I came across a surprising statistic recently that Manchester City’s academy has produced only one player to start 50 first team matches in the last 15 years (Micah Richards), although Foden will obviously be the next.

Now I know that many of their academy players go on to make it at EFL clubs and around Europe, but it just goes to show that even if you spend many millions, such as they have done, then this is no guarantee of developing your own players. Especially when you consider they steal many of the best youngsters from EFL at the age of 16.

Sun May 09, 2021 12:39 pm

theclaw wrote:From the moment the play offs were beyond us our future players should have been given some game time.

future players ?
i dont get this at all.... having not produced anyone for a decade why do people think there are any more players near ready at the mo than we have already seen. besides whats the point in giving first team experience if its not part of the actual first team....

Sun May 09, 2021 1:53 pm

skidemin wrote:
theclaw wrote:From the moment the play offs were beyond us our future players should have been given some game time.

future players ?
i dont get this at all.... having not produced anyone for a decade why do people think there are any more players near ready at the mo than we have already seen. besides whats the point in giving first team experience if its not part of the actual first team....

Could it be because people have seen them play and they are actually quite good? Personally I think MM has been negligent in not playing more of the youngsters who might have a future. Yesterday's strongest possible line up didn't appear to give a toss and a couple more youngsters on the pitch would have improved things. Would point out that in a match which really did matter Derby County started with six teenagers.

Sun May 09, 2021 3:39 pm

Crayfish wrote:
skidemin wrote:

future players ?

Could it be because people have seen them play and they are actually quite good? Personally I think MM has been negligent in not playing more of the youngsters who might have a future. Yesterday's strongest possible line up didn't appear to give a toss and a couple more youngsters on the pitch would have improved things. Would point out that in a match which really did matter Derby County started with six teenagers.

yes exactly, a few people have suddenly become development experts having watched an under 23 game or 2 against other under 23s ..which btw is way way short of championship level.... but eh oh no doubt you had the same view last year and the previous 10 although those now moved on players are mostly playing 3 or 4 levels lower.. which is exactly where the vast majority of this under 23s are most likely to be in 12/18 months...as for Derby i like you have no idea how good those boys are... the idea that one boy of a certain age is the same as another blows my mind.....they are all different and are all of different ability...

Sun May 09, 2021 4:04 pm

If Colwill is as good as many on here think then he should eat up L2 and that's where he should be next season. He has got to be the first name on the team sheet on a Forest Green or Cheltenham and get a full season of full contact and decision making. Same with Isaac Davies get him in the conference playing proper games, then we can assess them.

U23 games do these lads no favours, they need the heat of real battle.

Colwell dwelt too long on the ball yesterday, let him learn that urgency at somebody's else expense. It won't take long.

Sun May 09, 2021 4:32 pm

[quote="llan bluebird"]If Colwill is as good as many on here think then he should eat up L2 and that's where he should be next season. He has got to be the first name on the team sheet on a Forest Green or Cheltenham and get a full season of full contact and decision making. Same with Isaac Davies get him in the conference playing proper games, then we can assess them.

Colwell dwelt too long on the ball yesterday, let him learn that urgency at somebody's else expense. It won't take long.[/quote

Not necessarily so though. If we had made an assessment on Tom Sang based on the fact that he couldn't hold down a place in the Cheltenham team and was used mainly as a late subsistute we would never have played him. Also Mark Harris was sent back to us by non league Wrexham as not being good enough for them and has at least looked promising for us at championship level. Don't think you can make any hard and fast rules about these things.

Sun May 09, 2021 5:08 pm

I'd just scrap the lot, wasted millions upon millions to get maybe 1 player in over 10 years break through and maybe become a regular. Absolute madness saying it tbh but let's hope he plays next season more. Although no idea why we kept on playing loan players and players who won't be here next season the last 4 nothing games over youngsters who are supposed to be good enough.

Just don't get it all.

Sun May 09, 2021 8:06 pm

I believe that we should invest more to try to achieve category 1 status rather than waste the millions that have gone west in transfer fees that we have paid out. Managed properly they can more than pay for themselves by creating a regular supply of quality players where the club should really know their strengths by the time they're ready to join the first team. If they don't make it into the first team they can still bring in a lot of money.
For example, consider Rabbi Matondo who Man City were able to basically steal from us for a reported £500k under the Elite Player Performance Plan plus some arguing, but they were then able to sell on for a reported fee of up to £11 million from Schalke.
Our problem has been ineffective management, but hopefully Rubin Colwill will be the first of many if we can get to
category 1.

Sun May 09, 2021 8:57 pm

llan bluebird wrote:If Colwill is as good as many on here think then he should eat up L2 and that's where he should be next season. He has got to be the first name on the team sheet on a Forest Green or Cheltenham and get a full season of full contact and decision making. Same with Isaac Davies get him in the conference playing proper games, then we can assess them.

Colwell dwelt too long on the ball yesterday, let him learn that urgency at somebody's else expense. It won't take long.

trouble is a lot of lge1 and lge2 teams are looking for physicality .its a chicken and egg scenario ..many go away for 6 months and get little out of it ..but agree about the under 23s...and Colwill who does seem to have come on quickly but isnt there yet..