Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Shock as Mick McCarthy is ready to give Lee Tomlin ‘

Mon May 10, 2021 9:42 am

Mick McCarthy is ready to give Lee Tomlin a chance

Even though last week Mick McCarthy stated Jonny Williams / Rubin Colwill were Harry Wilsons replacement and Mick never even mentioned Lee Tomlin?

Monday 10th May 2021

Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy has said he is "really looking forward" to working with a fully-fit Lee Tomlin next season.

The future of the Bluebirds talisman, appeared to be on dicey footing owing to McCarthy's apparent reluctance to reintroduce him to the first-team fray.

Tomlin is 32 years old has one year left on his contract and was expected to be put out on loan next season, but McCarthy is willing for Tomlin to prove his fitness this summer.

Tomlin underwent surgery on his groin back in October , but there was an initial hope that he would return towards the beginning of February.

However, following McCarthy's arrival, that timescale lengthened, with the manager insisting the player was not up to speed to implement the sort of high-octane pressing game which brought so much success early on in his reign.

Tomlin was consigned to the under-23s and McCarthy tasked him with getting fit and losing some of the weight he had put on during his rehabilitation.

Over the course of the next six weeks, Tomlin did just that and seemingly got his just rewards when McCarthy named him on the bench for the first time against Rotherham United last weekend.

He was unable to get any minutes under his belt, though, unfortunately, given what was riding on the game and its tight nature, but the manager is hopeful he can have a bigger impact next term.

MICK McCARTHY:

"Yeah, he is under contract," McCarthy said when asked if he could break into the fold next term.

"He will be going away and he needs to come back and show me he ready and fit — he has had a difficult season with injury — so I am really looking forward to seeing him fully fit and raring to go for pre-season."

That statement is actually quite telling, because it would have been easy for McCarthy to place him on the transfer list if he didn't envisage him in his plans — as he did publicly with Robert Glatzel — in the hope of putting clubs on alert and drumming up interest.

Cardiff need to generate cash this summer before they reinvest in the squad, as McCarthy has already alluded to, and one would think there would be more than a couple of suitors should the manager state he had no future at the club.

But with Harry Wilson and Sheyi Ojo returning to their parent club Liverpool and Junior Hoilett having already announced his departure, there is a dearth of creative players now in this Bluebirds squad and the gifted Tomlin, when at full tilt, can provide that spark and ingenuity.

Back in January, he was rewarded with a two-year extension to his contract in the middle of a standout season which saw him net nine goals and provide 10 assists.

He is desperate to recreate that sort of impact next term and judging by McCarthy's comments earlier this year, the manager also knows exactly what the Bluebirds maverick can bring to the table.

“I know that when he was here last time he got nine goals and 10 assists," McCarthy said back in January.

"If he can get himself into that shape and that fitness and that quality – he has that bit of magic dust that can win you a game.

“Finding that pass. That angle. He’s always had that. Of course, aligned with that, he’s always had to work hard with his fitness and he’s going to have to do that now.

“It has to be done in an objective way. A reasonable manner that’s a plan. Not just come back and train with us and get injured again.

“He’s been out for months. So he has to be structured. He’s happy with it and I’m sure we’ll get the best out of him when he comes back.”

Re: ‘ Shock as Mick McCarthy is ready to give Lee Tomlin ‘

Mon May 10, 2021 10:09 am

He’s had his time and money.

No where near reliable and Club need to replace him for next season.

Mon May 10, 2021 10:13 am

MM is no mug and I trust his judgment.It just goes to show you can't rely on second hand info.

Mon May 10, 2021 10:18 am

I hope he comes back fit and 3st lighter. More chance of getting him off the books.

Mon May 10, 2021 10:25 am

Wouldnt say it is a shock. Tomlin is one of the most technically gifted players in the league, he is under contract and the squad is pretty small already. Doubt there is a queue of clubs ready to take him off us either.

Be stupid of mick to tell him he has no future at this point of his contract particularly with the lack of quality in the team as it stands. Mick has just given him the motivation to sort himself out over the summer. If he comes back fit, mick has just added a game changer to his options. If he doesn't come back fit, mick hasn't lost anything.

Its over to Tomlin now if he wants to play next season. Hopefully we see another transformation.

Mon May 10, 2021 10:44 am

No surprise to me.

Tomlin has been given anther chance and he needs to take it by the horns. First target is to get rid of that excess. If he can do that then he increase his chances of getting into the squad 100 fold. Simple as that really.

Mon May 10, 2021 11:00 am

It’s no surprise to me either.

People say - ‘get rid’ - without understanding he’s under contract which probably means he ain’t going anywhere for less wages than he’s on here.

While I think it’s a disgrace the way he allows himself to become so fat for a professional athlete, he came back before trimmed down and raring to go so obviously Mick realises that if he can get himself into that position again we have a great squad player for next season.

Mon May 10, 2021 11:14 am

Replies Twitter:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 10, 2021 11:17 am

We are virtually forced in to giving Tomlin a chance as NO one would be daft enough to pay his wages or even half of them.

As to giving Tomlin a chance he has had 5 from previous clubs and eventually let every club down and Cardiff City have been let down by Tomlin on so many previous occasions and years .

So some of you are probably right, No shock just virtually forced in to keeping him and preying he finally can do a full season as a great player, which he has the ability to be.

Mon May 10, 2021 11:37 am

Reply FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 10, 2021 11:52 am

Why the fluck didn't he bring him off the bench for the second half Saturday then when we were getting overrun in midfield and no supply route to the front two???

Mon May 10, 2021 12:01 pm

Reply FB:

Mon May 10, 2021 12:10 pm

I thought he said Johnny was the new Tomlin?

Mon May 10, 2021 12:10 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:I thought he said Johnny was the new Tomlin?

Very good point Jonny Williams / Rubin Colwill were Harry Wilsons replacement and Mick never even mentioned Lee Tomlin?

Mon May 10, 2021 12:20 pm

He said Johnny was the new Wilson.

Mon May 10, 2021 12:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:We are virtually forced in to giving Tomlin a chance as NO one would be daft enough to pay his wages or even half of them.

As to giving Tomlin a chance he has had 5 from previous clubs and eventually let every club down and Cardiff City have been let down by Tomlin on so many previous occasions and years .

So some of you are probably right, No shock just virtually forced in to keeping him and preying he finally can do a full season as a great player, which he has the ability to be.

Agreed, if we're stuck paying him for another season then McCarthy will have to give him a chance to get fit.

I'm sure McCarthy has the same doubts as most of us but unless somebody comes in with an offer that makes sense to the club and player we're stuck with him :roll:

Mon May 10, 2021 12:37 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:We are virtually forced in to giving Tomlin a chance as NO one would be daft enough to pay his wages or even half of them.

Agreed, if we're stuck paying him for another season then McCarthy will have to give him a chance to get fit.

I'm sure McCarthy has the same doubts as most of us but unless somebody comes in with an offer that makes sense to the club and player we're stuck with him :roll:

Tim, yes I agree, Mick is backed in to a corner with Tomlin and Tomlin knows it.

Mon May 10, 2021 12:43 pm

mugsy wrote:He said Johnny was the new Wilson.

Oh yes. Sorry.

Mon May 10, 2021 12:46 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Very good point Jonny Williams / Rubin Colwill were Harry Wilsons replacement and Mick never even mentioned Lee Tomlin?

Thank you for saying I've actually made a good point. :D

Even though I am wrong as MM did say Johnny was the new Wilson NOT the new Tomlin.

:lol: :thumbright:

Nevertheless I will take the good point even though I'm wrong.

C'mon City Onwards and upwards

Mon May 10, 2021 1:12 pm

Proven match winner Tomlin, hope he stays and stays fit. One of the few players worth watching.. if he’s injured, thats it.

Mon May 10, 2021 1:31 pm

maybe your correct and Jonny is the new LT just that glen williams got the names nixed up...
meanwhile LT becomes the new HW..?

Mon May 10, 2021 1:50 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:It’s no surprise to me either.

People say - ‘get rid’ - without understanding he’s under contract which probably means he ain’t going anywhere for less wages than he’s on here.

While I think it’s a disgrace the way he allows himself to become so fat for a professional athlete, he came back before trimmed down and raring to go so obviously Mick realises that if he can get himself into that position again we have a great squad player for next season.

get rid.... i agree is simplistic to the extreme .. but encouraged by press articles as above..... was quite telling as McCarthy could quite easily have transfer listed him.... :?
abracadabra , easy as that , write his name on a list and inform other clubs the queue for a 32 year old over weigh , semi fit . over paid 32 year old who hasnt played for a year starts at 9 AM Wednesday morning..
we are stuck with the contract but i cant imagine anyone else wanting to take such a gamble..

Mon May 10, 2021 2:13 pm

Hope he comes back to ram the criticism down people's throats.

Gets dogs abuse all the time online, but has won us more points than many other players in the squad.

Seems like he gets into a hole when he's injured, which leads to losing fitness and a string of niggles then. Like Mick said, he needs a structure around him to keep him on a plan.

I'm sure constantly slating him will really help the club though. If he's unfit until end of contract so be it, he's just released at the end - you've got to live with risk & rewards of this type of player. He played a part in our promotion season and pivotal in getting us to the play-offs last. I think for the money paid for him, he's been decent value for money, considering when he is playing and on form, he is probs worth 3 - 4x his transfer fee and double the wages.

I've loved watching him play for us, gutted he's not fit and firing, let's hope he's ready for next season, think if fit, will get better numbers for us than Wilson, especially in our system. :ayatollah:

Mon May 10, 2021 2:21 pm

A fit and firing Lee Tomlin brings massive benefits to Cardiff City but we've now had 'challenges' in 3 of his 4 seasons here & he's started just 30 times in that period for us, that is def not good enough or worth the £millions wasted

Mon May 10, 2021 3:00 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Proven match winner Tomlin, hope he stays and stays fit. One of the few players worth watching.. if he’s injured, thats it.

Shouldn't that read "stays and gets fit" ? Because that's the problem, even when he was making a difference he couldn't last 90 mins.

That's not quite so much of an issue whilst we can use extra subs but I thought that was a temporary measure ? If we go back to 3 subs then starting somebody who you know can't last 90 mins becomes a significant risk.

Mon May 10, 2021 6:31 pm

Forever Blue wrote:A fit and firing Lee Tomlin brings massive benefits to Cardiff City but we've now had 'challenges' in 3 of his 4 seasons here & he's started just 30 times in that period for us, that is def not good enough or worth the £millions wasted

But that is in the past. A fit and firing Tomlin is outstanding in this division. Unfortunately, weight issues aside, he has a tendency to pick up injuries. But he proved himself once before by getting extra fit and he’s the best we have on offer for the moment.

Does anyone on this board know him personally (not me). ? How do we know that he deliberately gets himself injured just so he can take our money? Is it possible that he is devastated and depressed following his injury problems which may have kept him from playing at the highest level? Do we really know?

People are quick to pass judgement on here without knowing anything about the personal lives and struggles of any of our players. Give the man a chance and get behind him.

Mon May 10, 2021 6:56 pm

Reality is there is less money in football post Covid so why pay £14k a week to loan LT from Cardiff with his injury record when u could get 2 other decent players in for the same wages.
Seems Cardiff’s options are virtually nil...salary plus injury record plus age means he won’t be going anywhere so MM has to try and get him fit and firing ....can’t see it myself....history repeats itself with him

Mon May 10, 2021 7:56 pm

So we are relying on JW and LT for next season. FML

Mon May 10, 2021 10:56 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:No surprise to me.

Tomlin has been given anther chance and he needs to take it by the horns. First target is to get rid of that excess. If he can do that then he increase his chances of getting into the squad 100 fold. Simple as that really.

Over to you Lee ;)