Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Sol Bamba says he wants to play next season and '

Tue May 11, 2021 5:41 pm

Sol Bamba sets out his exact plan for next season and Cardiff City fans are going to love it

Sky Sports:

Tuesday 11th May 2021

The Bluebirds icon came on to the pitch for the final seconds in the end-of-season clash with Rotherham United just over four months since he was diagnosed with cancer

A defiant Sol Bamba has insisted that his playing career is not over and is adamant he wants to play on for another season "touring around the country" to thank Cardiff City fans for their support.

Bamba on Saturday made his first appearance in a Bluebirds shirt since he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma back in December, following six chemotherapy sessions and a month-long return to training.

Those final moments against Rotherham might have just been the best 10 seconds of Cardiff City's season, with not only Bluebirds supporters but the whole footballing fraternity showing their love for him after he completed his emotional comeback.

Bamba, who underwent the last of his chemotherapy sessions almost three weeks ago, almost certainly has bigger things on his mind at the minute, but it is a fact that his playing contract is up this summer.

However, the 36-year-old Ivorian has bullishly claimed he is not ready to hang up the boots just yet.

Despite something of a fairytale return to the pitch at Cardiff City Stadium last weekend, he wants a season-long swansong to say a proper goodbye in person to Bluebirds supporters who have been so vocal in backing him during these difficult four months or so.

SOL BAMBA:

"I feel like I can't finish like that, I want to finish on my own terms," Bamba told Sky Sports.

"I've played the game long enough to enjoy every moment, especially at my age now.

"Ideally I want to finish in front of fans, I want to play for another year and do a tour around the country to thank them for all the support they gave me.

"I've worked hard to be in the position I'm in now and I want to carry on next season."

There is no doubt that, should Cardiff offer him a new playing contract, a new deal will encompass some form of coaching remit.

The club have a long-term plan in place for Bamba, who is due to complete his A licence next January, in terms of him being involved as a coach – he frequently takes sessions for the under-18s and under-23s.

Undertaking his badges with the FAW has helped to take his mind away from the bad times and helped him focus on his next goal.

For four months those goals were to focus on doing his coaching badges and work towards the unlikely scenario that he might be able to return to the pitch before the season's end. That, of course, he did on Saturday.

And from being involved in the match-day buzz once again to eventually crossing that whitewash, he said there was simply no better feeling.

"I was absolutely buzzing," he added. "It was a couple of seconds but the fact that I was back on the pitch with everything I've been through the last four months, it was pure joy.

"It was very good to get that feeling again, being back in the dressing room, the preparation before games and being one of the lads. It was everything for me.

"It was a long, long road, a very difficult time at times but the support I've had from all around the world has made me keep going.

"I never thought I would have come back that early. I knew I was going to come back because I had that drive but it was a surprise to be able to do it that quickly.

"From minute one when I was diagnosed with cancer, I looked for the next step.

"Of course, during those four months there were doubts because I went through chemotherapy and after a few sessions sometimes I was very sick but very quickly after, when I felt better, I knew I was going to come back."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Sol Bamba says he wants to play next season and '

Tue May 11, 2021 5:57 pm

At one point I thought he'd go to Middlesbrough with Junior Hoilett.

But I get the feeling he wants to stay with us and I'll be surprised if we don't offer him a playing contract for another year.

Tue May 11, 2021 6:07 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:At one point I thought he'd go to Middlesbrough with Junior Hoilett.

But I get the feeling he wants to stay with us and I'll be surprised if we don't offer him a playing contract for another year.

Ned, that was my worry, as I think Sol is an asset to the team, the dressing room and our future as a coach or even manager...

The quote "The club have a long-term plan in place for Bamba, who is due to complete his A licence next January, in terms of him being involved as a coach..." is music to my ears!

There's only one Sol Bamba; and he's a Bluebird...! :clap: :notworthy: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Tue May 11, 2021 7:17 pm

Sven wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:At one point I thought he'd go to Middlesbrough with Junior Hoilett.

Ned, that was my worry, as I think Sol is an asset to the team, the dressing room and our future as a coach or even manager...

The quote "The club have a long-term plan in place for Bamba, who is due to complete his A licence next January, in terms of him being involved as a coach..." is music to my ears!

There's only one Sol Bamba; and he's a Bluebird...! :clap: :notworthy: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

I agree Chris.
Sol to be assistant manager with Bellamy after MM?

Tue May 11, 2021 7:31 pm

Sven wrote:

Very good to hear :ayatollah:

Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 pm

Sven wrote:

Chris, He’s going to be 37 in January. I think giving him another year as a player doesn’t send out the right message from the club.

Forget being a legend, great guy and great player. He’d want to keep his high wages and as a back up I think it’s a waste of money and goes against what the club are saying about lowering the players ages and wages.

I don’t think he will stay!

Tue May 11, 2021 9:34 pm

I’m told that Bristol City are showing an interest in him. I hope he stays though, I’ve been lucky to meet him a couple of time and he’s top top fella.

Wed May 12, 2021 8:43 am

Pulisnewport wrote:
Sven wrote:

Chris, He’s going to be 37 in January. I think giving him another year as a player doesn’t send out the right message from the club.

Forget being a legend, great guy and great player. He’d want to keep his high wages and as a back up I think it’s a waste of money and goes against what the club are saying about lowering the players ages and wages.

I don’t think he will stay!

agree..... i was hoping he would be looking to have a job in the academy but as a player i just dont see it...

Wed May 12, 2021 9:58 am

Great character and I hope he stays with us as a coach but as a player no. He has hardly played at all in the last two years. I think the only game he started was a 6-0 defeat to QPR when he was terrible. At 36 he isn't going to get any better. MM or the board must put their foot down over this. We are not going to be able to afford to carry any passengers next season.

Wed May 12, 2021 4:51 pm

I’d have him on a pay as you play contract. He can be useful for cup games and seeing out the ends of games still I think. In a back 3 as well I think he’d have enough cover to be able to play against some of the weaker championship teams so would be useful to rotate into the team during busy fixtures or if one of the regular CBs is taken off early.

Gives him a chance to work on the coaching side of things at the club as well. Will be good to see him back whether it’s on the pitch or on the touch lines :ayatollah:

Thu May 13, 2021 6:31 pm

Well i hope this ICON of a man stays and helps to sort our younger players and show them what it is all about. :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri May 14, 2021 10:25 am

brynleybridle wrote:Well i hope this ICON of a man stays and helps to sort our younger players and show them what it is all about. :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Couldn't agree more. Simply too good to lose as a man never mind player... :bluescarf: