Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Max Watters? ‘

Wed May 12, 2021 11:58 am

‘ Max Watters? ‘

The 22 year old striker was plucked out of League Two back in January by the Cardiff City Committee, telling Neil Harris they wanted younger players and players from the lower division.

There was hope he could hit the ground running in the blue shirt at the back half of the campaign.

He was here for just one game, though, under Neil Harris, and was subsequently used sparingly by McCarthy.

McCarthy does not seem to be in any rush to put him in the City first team.

Indeed, he even fell behind academy product Mark Harris towards the back end of the season, with McCarthy saying he was struggling with a hamstring issue.

Having been bought for a fee that could rise to as much as £1m, he will no doubt have expected more exposure in his first season. But he is only 22 and has time on his side.

Neil Harris urged patience from supporters following his signing, but the player himself must heed that advice too, it would seem. Having fallen behind Harris and perhaps another striker who is likely to be brought in, what does the lay of the land look like next season for him?

Watters' contract runs until 2024, so there is a little room for manoeuvre next term for a potential loan exit to get those league minutes and goals under his belt.

Watters only successful season was 15 games earlier this season with a prolific 13 goals for Crawley Town in League 2, before this Watters had struggled at different clubs.

He could be one for the future, but playing under-23s football week in, week out will do him little good. A loan until January at a League One club, playing regularly, would be a sensible option. (Although McCarthy has not completely ruled out a loan move for Mark Harris, either.)

Whether McCarthy has designs on something different for Watters, however, remains to be seen?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Max Watters? ‘

Wed May 12, 2021 12:29 pm

Reply Twitter:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 12, 2021 12:41 pm

bought by the transfer committee...there lies our problem..their lack of football knowledge

Wed May 12, 2021 12:55 pm

kimble wrote:bought by the transfer committee...there lies our problem..their lack of football knowledge

Was no secret Watters was not a Neil Harris signing... :thumbup:

Wed May 12, 2021 1:02 pm

Really don't get it.... A few wrong and a few right..... Everything's a gamble when buying, just look at how NML turned out or Murphy., Then look at Moore all a toss of the coin.

As for Max, I think he needs a loan out quickly.

Wed May 12, 2021 1:05 pm

He has never really been given a chance by us. He has started one game and come on as a late subsistute in two others. How on earth is he supposed to prove himself if we don't play him. Look how many game Glatzel and Madine got. I am not saying he is the answer to our problems up front but in my view he has been massively underused by MCCarthy and has never been given a real chance.

Wed May 12, 2021 1:24 pm

Reply Twitter:

Wed May 12, 2021 1:37 pm

Seen better Sunday league players imo. But when you got the clowns show transfer commitee buying players without the mangers saying what do we expect. It's nothing new.

Wed May 12, 2021 2:01 pm

Here's the thing; goal poachers aren't anywhere near as effective at higher levels as they used to be a few decades ago. You can get away with it at lower league levels, but nowadays even in the Championship the standard of play and tactical evolution has eclipsed the level where one-dimensional strikers will find success. Unless you're someone like Teemu Pukki, who is incredible at what he does and has a wonderful team behind him, you're most likely going to fail.

Spunking however much we did on Watters when he probably wouldn't fit well into any other championship team, nevermind one that plays as basic as we do with the need for a target man/focal point, was just bizarre from day one.

Why not just keep Healy ffs?

Wed May 12, 2021 2:23 pm

Bluebird1977 wrote:Seen better Sunday league players imo. But when you got the clowns show transfer commitee buying players without the mangers saying what do we expect. It's nothing new.

Same clowns that brought moore in and not to mention good loan players? Same clowns that brought warnock in and mick? Win some lose some thats football. :thumbup:

Wed May 12, 2021 2:35 pm

Crayfish wrote:He has never really been given a chance by us. He has started one game and come on as a late subsistute in two others. How on earth is he supposed to prove himself if we don't play him. Look how many game Glatzel and Madine got. I am not saying he is the answer to our problems up front but in my view he has been massively underused by MCCarthy and has never been given a real chance.

this real chance thing ... we gave him a massive chance when we signed him ,probably a bigger chance than he imagined in his wildest dreams... its then up to the boy to impress the manager enough to include him in squads or the team..... or do you think the manager should give everyone equal game time....

Wed May 12, 2021 4:57 pm

Crayfish wrote:He has never really been given a chance by us. He has started one game and come on as a late subsistute in two others. How on earth is he supposed to prove himself if we don't play him. Look how many game Glatzel and Madine got. I am not saying he is the answer to our problems up front but in my view he has been massively underused by MCCarthy and has never been given a real chance.

But glatzel scored tons more than madine. In fsr less time here too.

Wed May 12, 2021 5:26 pm

Never really done anything at any club and just look at Watters previous clubs?, did we really pay money for him?

Wed May 12, 2021 7:09 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Bluebird1977 wrote:Seen better Sunday league players imo. But when you got the clowns show transfer commitee buying players without the mangers saying what do we expect. It's nothing new.

Same clowns that brought moore in and not to mention good loan players? Same clowns that brought warnock in and mick? Win some lose some thats football. :thumbup:

Bang on, moore probably the best signing since chopra by this transfer committee,it seems that if a player does well its the mangers signing if they do badly its the committee,it's been a theme over the years with some fans

Wed May 12, 2021 7:35 pm

Needs to go out on loan if he isnt going to get game time here.

Wed May 12, 2021 7:40 pm

wez1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Bang on, moore probably the best signing since chopra by this transfer committee,it seems that if a player does well its the mangers signing if they do badly its the committee,it's been a theme over the years with some fans

Yes been a themed but wgstspuzzling is they think we are only club that had this problem or only one with a committee as such? Wonder who made 9 players redundant at Bradford it certainly wasn't the manager as havent got one!! :o

Wed May 12, 2021 8:27 pm

We are talking about our opinions on Max Watters and the honest truth is I don’t think he is good enough and I get the feeling that Mick McCarthy feels the same way.

His background did now warrant all the publicity making out he was some prolific scorer, the facts are there.

Wed May 12, 2021 11:35 pm

Escott1927 wrote:Needs to go out on loan if he isnt going to get game time here.

Agree .

Wed May 12, 2021 11:44 pm

Feel sorry for the lad, hasn't had a run ,and judged so quickly on so little evidence.

Thu May 13, 2021 6:10 am

Watters clearly not up to Championship standard, a rush, panic buy, needs to go out on loan to a league one club.

Thu May 13, 2021 6:15 am

wez1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Kieffer Moore one of the best ever signings and as you know Neil Warnock had already gone after him for Cardiff, but at the time Wigan were not financially bad off.
To be fair the CCFC Committee then heard Wigan's financials plight and grabbed a great bargain.

On this Well Done Neil Warnock and well done Committee for following the deal up at a later date :thumbright:

Thu May 13, 2021 7:41 am

Nearly everybody on here were saying that it was worth the small gamble at the time he signed.

Mick obviously doesn’t rate him right now and deems he’s not worth a couple of games even but let’s wait and give him a chance.

A pre-season and a short loan may do him the world of good.

Thu May 13, 2021 8:35 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Nearly everybody on here were saying that it was worth the small gamble at the time he signed.

Mick obviously doesn’t rate him right now and deems he’s not worth a couple of games even but let’s wait and give him a chance.

Originally Paul,

Glen Williams from Media Wales put out the fee was £1mill and I 100% did not believe it and did not think he was worth it.
Then I found out it was just over £200,000, plus add ons, appearances, goals, promotion etc etc
That’s a different kettle of fish.

But I looked at his history and I have to say I did say every new player should be fully supported and backed , but the way the Echo described him, he was Def not the big goal scorer, they made out. It was a few months in League 2. They made out he had been prolific for a few years , he is 22yrs old he has plenty of time to make it if he is going to :thumbright: :bluebird:

29 goals in 5 years and mostly the lower part of non league.

I would love the lad to be given a a few games and a run and prove fans like me wrong.

But I think he needs to go out on loan for say 3months :thumbright:

Thu May 13, 2021 9:14 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Nearly everybody on here were saying that it was worth the small gamble at the time he signed.

its the fact that the deal was being reported as £1 million pound that has rattled cages... take the fee out of it and everyone just accepts him as a fringe player or one for the future as they did when we signed Danny Williams who had been banging them in for Haverford west... didnt see any why hasnt he had a chance posts...or people feeling sorry for him...

Thu May 13, 2021 12:01 pm

skidemin wrote:

its the fact that the deal was being reported as £1 million pound that has rattled cages... take the fee out of it and everyone just accepts him as a fringe player or one for the future as they did when we signed Danny Williams who had been banging them in for Haverford west... didnt see any why hasnt he had a chance posts...or people feeling sorry for him...

I didn’t know we paid a mill for him!
Had it in my mind it was a couple of hundred grand!

Thu May 13, 2021 12:05 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Paul,

No we never paid a £million, but someone from the club told Glen Williams virtually that but to later find out it was £200,000, they were way exaggerating everything this season from saying paying for Harry Wilson etc but to later backtrack.

They made a massive thing about Watters at a million.

" ALL TOTAL BULLSHIT "

Daily Mail:

By SIMON JONES and KATHRYN BATTE FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 15:16 BST, 16 January 2021 | UPDATED: 16:02 BST, 16 January 2021
Cardiff City confirm signing of Max Watters from Crawley in £1m deal after striker impressed in League Two with 13 goals in 15 games
Cardiff City have confirmed the signing of Max Watters in a £1million deal
The striker has signed a three-and-a-half-year deal with the Bluebirds
Watters netted 13 goals in 15 League Two games for Crawley this season

Former Maidstone United striker Max Watters completes £1million move to Championship club Cardiff City
KENT NEWS

By Craig Tucker
ctucker@thekmgroup.co.uk

Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Annis.
I stand by my original post then that virtually everyone thought it would be a gamble worth taking.
Like you, I don’t think he’s going to be good enough but a short term loan may help.

Thu May 13, 2021 12:12 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Thanks for clearing that up Annis.
I stand by my original post then that virtually everyone thought it would be a gamble worth taking.
Like you, I don’t think he’s going to be good enough but a short term loan may help.

No problem Paul :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird:

Thu May 13, 2021 1:34 pm

skidemin wrote:

i tend to agree with Annis... no way did we pay a million but thats how it was reported.... and pretty sure had it been reported differently fans might look at him more like they did Williams or Meite

Thu May 13, 2021 2:27 pm

skidemin wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Exactly / Spot on :thumbright:

i tend to agree with Annis... no way did we pay a million but thats how it was reported.... and pretty sure had it been reported differently fans might look at him more like they did Williams or Meite