Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Mick McCarthy: ‘ Isaac Vassell ‘

Wed May 12, 2021 12:06 pm

‘ Isaac Vassell ‘

By Glen Williams

A man who has endured so much pain and frustration over the best part of two years.

Isaac Vassell was an instant hit when he popped up in injury time to net a late winner against his former club Luton Town back in the summer of 2019. Cardiff looked to have found a little livewire.

But he barely played a handful of games before his quad ruptured and he was out for months. Even last March during his comeback game he pulled up lame and hasn't been seen since.

On a more positive note, he has been back training in recent weeks and that really is a good thing, for him and for the club.

It can't have been easy being on the physio table for such a long period of time.

While everyone thought that Vassell's future at the club was done and dusted, McCarthy appeared to offer him a lifeline when asked about him a few short weeks ago.

MICK McCARTHY:

"I told him a story about how we were due to play Luton Town in the Cup when I was at Ipswich, so four years ago, and he had just scored an unbelievable hat-trick, I think it was against Yeovil," McCarthy recalled.

"We were planning on how to deal with Isaac Vassell. Anyway, they sold him to Birmingham on the Monday, so I was thrilled to see the back of him. And we beat Luton in the Cup!

"So I told him that story and I told him if he can reproduce the form he had there, why would I not want him back?

"So fingers crossed for him, never mind the club and the team. He has had a terrible time of it with injuries and it would be lovely to see him back."

Could it be that, flying in the face of all likelihood, Vassell will return to the fold next season? If McCarthy's words are to be taken at face value, he will be given every opportunity to prove himself.

After all he has been through, perhaps he, more so than the others, will not hate the idea of playing second fiddle to Moore for a season as he eases his way back into things.

Re: Mick McCarthy: ‘ Isaac Vassell ‘

Wed May 12, 2021 4:35 pm

I really hope it works out for him and for the team. Unfortunately, I fear the odds are stacked against him after so long out, but it would be brilliant for him if he can return.

I look at what has happened to Duncan Whatmore who has been able to play 29 games for Middlesborough this season, which is as many as he has played in the 3 previous seasons with Sunderland, following serious injuries. I hope Isaac Vassell can make a similar recovery

Wed May 12, 2021 7:05 pm

Hope he can get his fitness back

Thu May 13, 2021 9:23 am

Well he needs to work hard now to get his fitness and career back on track ready for next season. another season of injuries will probably see him retire or bugger off!

Thu May 13, 2021 6:44 pm

Enough hoping. Move him on ffs

Thu May 13, 2021 6:56 pm

nubbsy wrote:Enough hoping. Move him on ffs

explain how

Fri May 14, 2021 7:56 am

skidemin wrote:

explain how

The only way we could move him on is to pay up his contract No one is going to take him on and pay the wages we are paying him I just don’t see him being fit for us next season either How many players have two years out injured and come back ?

Fri May 14, 2021 9:43 am

It's all very well talking about getting rid of him and moving him on, but he would have ZERO takers right now and paying up his contract would be very costly.

We have to hope he gets fit enough, starts playing and remains injury free. Then we have options. Keep him or then move him on.

I actually feel a lot more sympathy for Vassell than someone like Tomlin - Tomlin lets himself get terribly out of shape (despite the help, advice and expertise to manage his weight when injured, whereas Vassell seems to be hugely unlucky with injuries but remains ultra professional.

Fri May 14, 2021 10:34 am

Abergavenny wrote:
skidemin wrote:

explain how

The only way we could move him on is to pay up his contract No one is going to take him on and pay the wages we are paying him I just don’t see him being fit for us next season either How many players have two years out injured and come back ?

so move him on means poay up his contracr.

Fri May 14, 2021 10:55 am

He will be given a very good chance, small niggly injurys aside if he has another breakdown he will be gone, either given a free or as people have said pay up his contract, save some money at least :thumbup:

Fri May 14, 2021 11:04 am

Cool story Mick.

I bet Vassell had about three injuries by the end of that story.

Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 am

Igovernor wrote:He will be given a very good chance, small niggly injurys aside if he has another breakdown he will be gone, either given a free or as people have said pay up his contract, save some money at least :thumbup:

where does save money come into it....

Fri May 14, 2021 11:44 am

skidemin wrote:
Igovernor wrote:He will be given a very good chance, small niggly injurys aside if he has another breakdown he will be gone, either given a free or as people have said pay up his contract, save some money at least :thumbup:

I thought that. Why would he accept less than he would get over the term of his contract?

Been watching Sunderland til I die. Complaining about Rodwell and his deal. Then saying he should rip up his contract and leave.

There is no one who would be prepared to do that and lose money. No one.

Fri May 14, 2021 12:32 pm

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:

I thought that. Why would he accept less than he would get over the term of his contract?

Been watching Sunderland til I die. Complaining about Rodwell and his deal. Then saying he should rip up his contract and leave.

There is no one who would be prepared to do that and lose money. No one.

its a bit different if a player on 25k a wk with 50 wks left on contract knows he could get 10k elsewhere... in those circumstances there is potential to pay the difference and save 10k a wk , a bit more if the player is desperate to actually play... as what happened with Emyr Hughes .... Vasell is injured so nobody is going to be offering anything