Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Arsenal goal v Chelsea last night.

Thu May 13, 2021 8:03 am

First of all just seen on the news so didn’t see any comments after the game.
If Arsenal hadn’t scored then obviously they would have been awarded free kick for a back pass to the keeper.
Where would the free kick have been taken and would the keeper have been sent off?
Interesting one.

Re: Arsenal goal v Chelsea last night.

Thu May 13, 2021 11:23 am

theclaw wrote:First of all just seen on the news so didn’t see any comments after the game.
If Arsenal hadn’t scored then obviously they would have been awarded free kick for a back pass to the keeper.
Where would the free kick have been taken and would the keeper have been sent off?
Interesting one.

Was mentioned in commentary not sure if ref played advantage but doubt it as he should have blown immediately goalie picked ball up usually do... free kick is from basically where ball was picked up... and no goalie wouldn't be sent off in fact no action other than the free kick would begiven...:thumbup:

Thu May 13, 2021 11:34 am

pembroke allan wrote:
theclaw wrote:First of all just seen on the news so didn’t see any comments after the game.
Interesting one.

Was mentioned in commentary not sure if ref played advantage but doubt it as he should have blown immediately goalie picked ball up usually do... free kick is from basically where ball was picked up... and no goalie wouldn't be sent off in fact no action other than the free kick would begiven...:thumbup:

I think Andre Marriner was going to award it because he seemed to be about to blow his whistle but stopped when he saw the ball dropped to Aubameyang in a good position.

So it seemed that he did play advantage. I think he would have pulled it back if it hadn't resulted in a goal.

You're right on the rest of it.

Thu May 13, 2021 11:55 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Interesting one.

I think Andre Marriner was going to award it because he seemed to be about to blow his whistle but stopped when he saw the ball dropped to Aubameyang in a good position.

So it seemed that he did play advantage. I think he would have pulled it back if it hadn't resulted in a goal.

I saw it live and the ref definitely played an advantage and would have gone back to give an indirect free kick if it hadn’t resulted in a goal.
Mariner obviously saw the keeper handle the back pass
All the best referees play the advantage rule.

The keeper wouldn’t have been awarded a yellow or red card.

Thu May 13, 2021 12:16 pm

The keeper handled it right on the line so the wall would have to be behind the line.Interesting one!

Thu May 13, 2021 12:19 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Interesting one.

This is how I saw it with Andre Marriner clearly playing the advantage...

Because the he 'indirect' free kick would have been taken on a point on the 6 yard line nearest to the point of the offence occurring inside the 6 yard box (the only time this happens anywhere on the field)

That makes it tough for the offended team, as they then have to beat 11 men effectively on the line (the nearest to 10 yards they can get) which, for me, gives even more credit to the referee for doing what he did... :clap:

Thu May 13, 2021 12:41 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Interesting one.

mariner didn't play advantage because goalie never went to pick ball up was more interested in stopping it going in so he probably was going to blow up for goal before he saved it..... you cannot play advantage on back pass as soon as goalie picks ball up it's a freekick no room for advantage to be played. Thought was taking about another incident :D

Thu May 13, 2021 1:56 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Interesting one.

mariner didn't play advantage because goalie never went to pick ball up was more interested in stopping it going in so he probably was going to blow up for goal before he saved it..... you cannot play advantage on back pass as soon as goalie picks ball up it's a freekick no room for advantage to be played. Thought was taking about another incident :D

.. was your incident even in the same game ?

Thu May 13, 2021 2:43 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Interesting one.

I was talking about the goal incident. To be fair, OriginalGrangeEndBlue and Sven have explained what I was trying to say better than I did.

I don't recall the other incident?

Think we can all agree that it was a good call by Andre Marriner to play the advantage and credit to him for it :thumbright:

Thu May 13, 2021 3:37 pm

skidemin wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Interesting one.

Ffs I missed read what was said (my fault) but as we are talking about the goal scored by arsenal at no point did goalie attempt to pick up ball so back pass and advantage being played by ref didnt come into things.... like said more likely going to blow whistle for a goal it was closer to a goal than back pass. Hope that clears my mistake up. :thumbup:

Thu May 13, 2021 3:44 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Interesting one.

I was talking about the goal incident. To be fair, OriginalGrangeEndBlue and Sven have explained what I was trying to say better than I did.

Think we can all agree that it was a good call by Andre Marriner to play the advantage and credit to him for it :thumbright:

Ned I miss read OP but my point was at no point did goalie attempt to pick up ball ? really not sure how mariner could be playing advantage as no offence was committed. :thumbup:

Thu May 13, 2021 4:10 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
skidemin wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Interesting one.

Ffs I missed read what was said (my fault) but as we are talking about the goal scored by arsenal at no point did goalie attempt to pick up ball so back pass and advantage being played by ref didnt come into things.... like said more likely going to blow whistle for a goal it was closer to a goal than back pass. Hope that clears my mistake up. :thumbup:

i havent seen it mate...its just everyone else who has described this has the keeper handling the ball , you have him picking it up......then you chipped in with it being a completely different incident...
but anyway keepers are not allowed to handle the ball from a back pass...

Thu May 13, 2021 4:25 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Interesting one.

Ned I miss read OP but my point was at no point did goalie attempt to pick up ball ? really not sure how mariner could be playing advantage as no offence was committed. :thumbup:

As said Skidemin, it is illegal for a goalkeeper to handle a backpass - whether he picks the ball up or not.

Marriner did play advantage instead of blowing up straight away and should be applauded for that :thumbright:

I'll criticise referees when they get it wrong, but praise them when they get it right.

Thu May 13, 2021 7:17 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Interesting one.

As said Skidemin, it is illegal for a goalkeeper to handle a backpass - whether he picks the ball up or not.

Marriner did play advantage instead of blowing up straight away and should be applauded for that :thumbright:

I'll criticise referees when they get it wrong, but praise them when they get it right.

I think the little guy from down west has lost the plot.