Confirmed " Champions League Final to be in Porto " BUT

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Thu May 13, 2021 11:28 am

But theyve just announced today All Uk flights are banned till after 30th May ???

BBC Sport

Thursday 13th May 2021

The Champions League final between Chelsea and Manchester City on 29 May will take place in Portugal with 6,000 fans from each club able to attend.

The game has been moved from Turkey to the Portuguese city of Porto because of coronavirus restrictions.

Portugal is on England's green list so players and fans can attend without having to quarantine on their return home. Turkey is on the red list.

The final had been due to be staged at Istanbul's Ataturk Olympic Stadium.

"To deprive supporters of the chance to see the match in person was not an option and I am delighted that this compromise has been found," said Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin.

Uefa, UK government officials and the Football Association met to talk about Wembley hosting the game but no agreement could be reached on quarantine exemptions for sponsors, VIPs and broadcasters.

"Fans have had to suffer more than 12 months without the ability to see their teams live and reaching a Champions League final is the pinnacle of club football," added Ceferin.

"After the year that fans have endured, it is not right that they don't have the chance to watch their teams in the biggest game of the season."

It is the second successive year the final has been held in Portugal with Lisbon the location for the delayed final stages of last season's competition, won by Bayern Munich.

The final capacity limit at the Estadio do Dragao in Porto is still to be fixed.

Ceferin acknowledged that the UK government's decision to place Turkey on the red list for travel was made in good faith but said it also left the governing body with "a major challenge".

"The difficulties of moving the final are great and the FA and the authorities made every effort to try to stage the match in England, and I would like to thank them for their work in trying to make it happen," he added.

"The Turkish Football Federation and the authorities have always been reliable partners of Uefa and I hope to be in Istanbul and Turkey for a Champions League final and many other events in the near future.

"I hope the final will be a symbol of hope at the re-emergence of Europe from a difficult period and that the fans who travel to the game will once again be able to lend their voices to showcase this final as the best in club football."
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Confirmed " Champions League Final to be in Porto "

Postby skidemin » Thu May 13, 2021 5:05 pm

both sets of fans will have to arrive in and depart from Lisbon on the day of the game on chartered flights... bit like playing the jacks
skidemin

Postby Forever Blue » Thu May 13, 2021 5:09 pm

But theyve just announced today All Uk flights are banned till after 30th May???
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Sven » Thu May 13, 2021 5:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:But theyve just announced today All Uk flights are banned till after 30th May???

Annis, I am sure I read the Portugues Government are expected to lift the ban on many non-EU countries from next Monday?

Man City also announced their own one-day travel package for those supporters lucky enough to receive tickets (a smart move)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Crayfish » Thu May 13, 2021 5:20 pm

Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:But theyve just announced today All Uk flights are banned till after 30th May???

Annis, I am sure I read the Portugues Government are expected to lift the ban on many non-EU countries from next Monday?

Its a moronic decision in all the circumstances. Why Portugal why not just shift it to the UK? No one knows if they will even be allowed into Portugal at the moment and if they are it will hardly be any fun being treated like a Cardiff fan on the way to Swansea.

Rather suspect they are not shifting the match directly to the UK just to spite Braitain. Can't think of any other reason. Why Porto?
Crayfish

Re: Confirmed " Champions League Final to be in Porto " BUT

Postby Big Hill Blue » Thu May 13, 2021 5:33 pm

Too right. Who ever runs this circus just forget about the money and think safe.

2 British clubs. Play in Britain.

It ain't rocket science.
Big Hill Blue

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Thu May 13, 2021 7:10 pm

Crayfish wrote:
Sven wrote:

Its a moronic decision in all the circumstances. Why Portugal why not just shift it to the UK? No one knows if they will even be allowed into Portugal at the moment and if they are it will hardly be any fun being treated like a Cardiff fan on the way to Swansea.

Rather suspect they are not shifting the match directly to the UK just to spite Braitain. Can't think of any other reason. Why Porto?

Not moronic at all. The Uk wouldn’t allow certain criteria of non isolation.

Read up about it and maybe you’ll understand.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby pembroke allan » Thu May 13, 2021 7:32 pm

Crayfish wrote:
Sven wrote:

UK gvmnt would not allow journalists ....tv people...sponsors or delegates to enter uk without quarantining on arrival t involved around 3k people? thats why went to Portugal no such problem there for UEFA entourage.
pembroke allan

Postby Crayfish » Thu May 13, 2021 8:52 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Crayfish wrote:
Sven wrote:

UK gvmnt would not allow journalists ....tv people...sponsors or delegates to enter uk without quarantining on arrival t involved around 3k people? thats why went to Portugal no such problem there for UEFA entourage.

That's great as long as journalist sponsors and and delegates can get there the fans can get stuffed. I presume when you say journalists etc you mean ones form EU countries because at the moment Portugal is not allowing people into the county from all non EU countries including the UK at the moment.
Crayfish

Postby pembroke allan » Thu May 13, 2021 9:11 pm

Crayfish wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Crayfish wrote:
Sven wrote:

That's great as long as journalist sponsors and and delegates can get there the fans can get stuffed. I presume when you say journalists etc you mean ones form EU countries because at the moment Portugal is not allowing people into the county from all non EU countries including the UK at the moment.

Well most of the UEFA people coming here are from amber or red countries so have to quarantine and they are the ones I refer too..... no idea about going to Portugal but assume that they have given UEFA assurances regarding non quarantine of people attending game? Something uk wouldn't do..
pembroke allan

Return to General Chat