Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Cardiff City will take note of rivals' clear out "

Fri May 14, 2021 1:41 pm

Why Cardiff City will take note of Bristol City's mass clear-out after Mick McCarthy transfer claim

A number of Championship clubs have emptied the decks and the Bluebirds will no doubt be interested parties as the lists of released players are revealed

By Glen Williams

Friday 14th May

Cardiff City's Championship rivals are already announcing the players who will become free agents this summer.

On Friday, Bristol City revealed 11 of their 13 out-of-contract players will be released, while Andreas Weimann and Danny Simpson are still negotiating terms over potentially extending their stay.

Nigel Pearson has decided to shake things up on the other side of the River Severn, but the Robins' sizeable losses will no doubt be drawing gazes from across the Championship.

As we know, Cardiff have dipped into the market across the Severn on a number of occasions in recent years, with former Robins Aden Flint, Marlon Pack and Lee Tomlin all still in situ at Cardiff City Stadium.

And, given the quality laced throughout the Robins' released list, it would be a surprise if Cardiff weren't at least interested in a couple of the names below:

- Hakeeb Adelakun

- Nathan Baker

- Famara Diedhiou

- Rene Gilmartin

- Jack Hunt

- Henri Lansbury

- Adrian Mariappa

- Jamie Paterson

- Tommy Rowe

- Liam Walsh

- Marley Watkins

WalesOnline has learned that Cardiff are looking to bolster a number of key positions when the summer transfer window opens.

Chief among those is a striker. So much of the goal-scoring burden has fallen on to Kieffer Moore's shoulders this term and it has been no surprise that the Bluebirds have been linked with as many as six strikers since Mick McCarthy arrived in January.

The departure of Famara Diedhiou will no doubt have eyes turning in the Championship. Indeed, our sister title GazetteLive claim Neil Warnock is monitoring the situation up at Middlesbrough. The Senegal international boasts a healthy record of 51 goals in 160 games.

Crucially, as one City fan pointed out on Twitter, he has scored more than 10 goals in each of his last four seasons. That is something which Cardiff, until Moore was signed last summer, found difficult to come by in recent years.

McCarthy is desperate to have a different option to Moore and even wants the option of deploying another proven striker to play alongside him, with relative Championship tyros Max Watters and Mark Harris the only alternatives. Diedhiou ticks a lot of boxes.

Another player who took many supporters' fancy following the Robins' announcement was Jamie Paterson.

We understand Cardiff are looking for a new No.10 and a new winger, to fill positions which will be vacated by the departing Harry Wilson, Sheyi Ojo and Junior Hoilett, and Paterson can fill both roles.

City have been linked on more than one occasion with Sheffield Wednesday star Josh Windass, who was a shining light in an otherwise miserable season for the Owls.

But he will likely set City back a fair bit of cash, with a number of other clubs also thought to be interested. Paterson, however, would cost Cardiff nothing.

He is very close with both Marlon Pack and Aden Flint, too, which could play into City's hands.

Given Jonny Williams is yet to set the world alight and Rubin Colwill is still far too young to be relied upon to shoulder the creative burden throughout an entire season, Paterson could really bolster that No.10 role in the Bluebirds' squad. Lee Tomlin's future is still a little up in the air, too, despite a little vote of confidence from McCarthy in recent weeks.

Paterson also boasts a commendable record of 26 goals and 21 assists in a touch over 150 games for Bristol. For context, that is one more goal and one fewer assist than Junior Hoilett had for Cardiff in 30 fewer games.

Andreas Weimann, should his talks fall through, would also pique the interest of some and could also fill in at No.10 or out on the wing.

Two others who seem to be high up on City fans' wishlist from the above cohort are Nathan Baker and Liam Walsh.

Walsh is a real talent and some fans at Ashton Gate think it something of a surprise they have let him go, although he has suffered bad injuries this season.

Many Cardiff fans believe the midfield needs more buzz and creativity. Walsh, the Everton product who is still only 23, is known for his passing and dribbling skills in the centre of the park. He always looks forward instead of backwards, something which Cardiff's midfield have been guilty of at times.

Baker, meanwhile, is 30 and some believe he is an experienced head who could provide adequate defensive cover.

McCarthy still believes that Aden Flint, Sean Morrison and Curtis Nelson are the three frontline centre backs, however Ciaron Brown's future remains uncertain ahead of City revealing their own retained list. Brown also has his admirers, including Celtic, Oostende and clubs in Germany.

Talks are also thought to be ongoing with Sol Bamba over his future, too, however relying on him to play too many games next year appears fanciful at this stage. So a centre back could well be on the cards for McCarthy and they could do far worse than former Aston Villa defender Baker.

The Bluebirds will no doubt be interested parties more so this summer than any other, as these lists are gradually released.

Cardiff are set to implement more cost-cutting measures following a full season of playing football behind closed doors, with no money being pumped into the club at the turnstiles.

It means Cardiff themselves will have to be ruthless, with a number of star names expected to leave the club as Mick McCarthy shapes his squad to fit his vision.

The futures of City icon Bamba and veteran left-back Joe Bennett are still to be determined, while Hoilett has already announced his departure and £5.5m signing Robert Glatzel has been placed on the transfer list.

Others could follow, too, and if serious offers come in for the likes of Tomlin, Josh Murphy or Will Vaulks they will have to be considered.

Kieffer Moore is another pivotal figure in McCarthy's planning, although if he shines for Wales in the Euros and an offer in excess of £15m comes in, the Bluebirds will find it hard to turn that down.

It comes after owner Vincent Tan's leisure business has been hit hard during the pandemic and he has been fronting in excess of £2m per month to aid City in these austere times.

It is no surprise, then, that the free agent market has intrigued McCarthy heading into the summer transfer window. It is an avenue he has already said he will explore amid the backdrop of a harsh financial landscape.

"I don't see a brighter horizon," McCarthy said rather bluntly in April.

"What's a brighter horizon? Is that people slinging money around?

"I see the brighter horizon as getting the best players in you possibly can afford and then you crack on and have a go at it.

"Across it all, I can't imagine there is any club that's not struggling for finances and cash.

"I see a lot of loans, yeah there will be. I wonder what Premier League clubs will be doing, I don't know what the Brexit rules are on letting players in. There's lots of things that have changed.

"And there are a lot of players out of contract this year. They'll be looking for clubs and I think a lot of clubs will be tightening their belt."

Using the loan market will become a far more crucial part of City's plans moving forward, too, one would think.

However, as McCarthy says, with clubs tightening their belts and reducing their wage bills, Cardiff have to be smart in how they conduct their business and free agents will certainly interest the Bluebirds boss.

Especially given the calibre of players being released this summer, as evidenced by Bristol's released list which was announced on Friday.

Expect more quality players to be looking for new homes as the summer continues.

Re: " Cardiff City will take note of rivals' clear out "

Fri May 14, 2021 2:38 pm

Lansbury

Fri May 14, 2021 2:40 pm

Depending on wage demands diedhiou could be decent on a free. Paterson could be a good squad player as well. We will need to rotate playing a high energy press.

I think their will be a few released lists like this. If the club are switched on they could bring in quite a few players without spending on fees. Add a few prem loans and we could have a decent squad for next season.

- always optimistic going into the transfer window over the summer!

Fri May 14, 2021 2:48 pm

Diedhiou Is the obvious one on that list. If we can shift Glatzel out for at least £3m, then that covers the agent fees and signing on fees for at least four or five players. If we’re quick and “SAVVY” then we could snap up some decent quality over the summer. :ayatollah:

Fri May 14, 2021 2:53 pm

maccydee wrote:Lansbury

Has had numerous chances at bigger clubs than the Wurzels and has always been moved on. A wasted talent with a bad attitude from what I have seen. One of those who thinks he is better than he actually is.

Fri May 14, 2021 3:49 pm

Bluebird For Life wrote:
maccydee wrote:Lansbury

Has had numerous chances at bigger clubs than the Wurzels and has always been moved on. A wasted talent with a bad attitude from what I have seen. One of those who thinks he is better than he actually is.

Perhaps super savvy old head MM get a tune from him

Fri May 14, 2021 7:52 pm

From what I have been told we are close to announcing our first signing possibly next week.

Fri May 14, 2021 8:32 pm

Llantwit Blue wrote:From what I have been told we are close to announcing our first signing possibly next week.

Is this from a reliable source? We need a little bit of good news. It’s definitely a player who’s just been released if true.

Fri May 14, 2021 8:40 pm

Or we can take a note from Forest who, according to reports on this message board are releasing substantial funds for a rebuild.

There are clubs who can still spend and we should be one of them with our premier forays.

Fri May 14, 2021 9:35 pm

Rhyswilli3303 wrote:
Llantwit Blue wrote:From what I have been told we are close to announcing our first signing possibly next week.

Is this from a reliable source? We need a little bit of good news. It’s definitely a player who’s just been released if true.

Dalman said it on the radio

Sun May 16, 2021 2:31 pm

Rhyswilli3303 wrote:

Yes, very reliable; another thread on this Forum... ;) :lol:

Sun May 16, 2021 4:11 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Or we can take a note from Forest who, according to reports on this message board are releasing substantial funds for a rebuild.

There are clubs who can still spend and we should be one of them with our premier forays.

But we don’t want the debt increasing do we?

Sun May 16, 2021 4:18 pm

I share your point, indeed we dont, but we should be in better shape than most given the money we have had over the last few years.

Listen, I don't necessarily want to spend millions upon millions. Of course not, but I want to have a squad big enough to compete, big enough to cover injuries, and have enough quality and experience, which I agree we can pick up on free and loan moves, to challenge.

I am not convinced the club want any of those three things.

My feeling is the club will sell, sell, sell, and get by on what we have left.

Sun May 16, 2021 4:52 pm

Barclay1 wrote:I share your point, indeed we dont, but we should be in better shape than most given the money we have had over the last few years.

Listen, I don't necessarily want to spend millions upon millions. Of course not, but I want to have a squad big enough to compete, big enough to cover injuries, and have enough quality and experience, which I agree we can pick up on free and loan moves, to challenge.

Hopefully your feeling is wrong. It’s not based on anything as we haven’t done that before. Even when we got rid of loads of players post Ole we actually kept the players we wanted to keep.

Sun May 16, 2021 5:32 pm

maccydee wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:I share your point, indeed we dont, but we should be in better shape than most given the money we have had over the last few years.

Hopefully your feeling is wrong. It’s not based on anything as we haven’t done that before. Even when we got rid of loads of players post Ole we actually kept the players we wanted to keep.

Spot on, Neil; but apparently, Barclay1's thoughts are all his own. He recently told us... ;)

Sun May 16, 2021 6:33 pm

Sven wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Spot on, Neil; but apparently, Barclay1's thoughts are all his own. He recently told us... ;)

I do like that he’s now saying they are his thoughts rather than saying it’s Gospel as others do. Seeing a lot of what Tan is going to do this year when no one has one iota of an idea. Every year we hear the same about no spending every year we seem to buy players who improve the squad.

Sun May 16, 2021 7:12 pm

Indeed they are my own thoughts.

I'm not sure I have ever once said anything was gospel. In fact I have said on occasions that I'm not in the know in any way shape or form.

Following the club as long as I have, and I'm sure you guys are the same, you get a feel based on what has gone before.

I get a feel about the leadership at our club, and it's just my feel is different to yours.

When all is said and done, we all want the same thing. An enjoyable experience and excitement around every Cardiff City match. Looking forward to every game.

I would happily sit for hours and reminisce about Cardiff City over a beverage, although I'm sure I'm not high on many peoples invite list! :lol:

Sun May 16, 2021 9:30 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Indeed they are my own thoughts.

I'm not sure I have ever once said anything was gospel. In fact I have said on occasions that I'm not in the know in any way shape or form.

Following the club as long as I have, and I'm sure you guys are the same, you get a feel based on what has gone before.

I get a feel about the leadership at our club, and it's just my feel is different to yours.

When all is said and done, we all want the same thing. An enjoyable experience and excitement around every Cardiff City match. Looking forward to every game.

I would happily sit for hours and reminisce about Cardiff City over a beverage, although I'm sure I'm not high on many peoples invite list! :lol:

All jesting aside, I'd have a drink and reminisce with you, fella. The mutual friend we both have is one I trust when he says he can vouch for you... :thumbright:

Sun May 16, 2021 10:05 pm

I will very much look forward to it. Once the season is up and running and fans are back it would be a pleasure. :thumbup:

Sun May 16, 2021 10:07 pm

Barclay1 wrote:Indeed they are my own thoughts.

I said as others do mate. They write stuff as fact when it clearly isn’t.

I’d have a drink with you but apparently I never go to the games lol.

I think we will surprise people with our transfer dealings.

Sun May 16, 2021 10:18 pm

Sheff Weds - Is another club MM will be looking at .

Sun May 16, 2021 10:18 pm

:thumbup: I sincerely do hope we surprise people with our transfer dealings.

I for one have always held my hand up if I'm wrong. When you lose faith and hope with a regime, criticism comes naturally. Let's see if they can prove me wrong.

It'd be great to meet people off this forum for a drink and chat about where we think the club has gone right and wrong.