Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The EFL has ruled out using VAR in the play-offs despite rep

Sat May 15, 2021 10:03 am

The EFL has ruled out using VAR in the play-offs despite repeated requests from several of the clubs involved, with Brentford manager Thomas Frank the most vociferous in criticising the decision.

Re: The EFL has ruled out using VAR in the play-offs despite

Sat May 15, 2021 11:57 am

EFL missed a trick here because if there is a clear error and it costs a team either place in final or the premier league they will have no choice but to bring it in for future games in playoffs, so a good time to try it now as fair few managers would like to see it used especially in playoffs with £120m at stake

Sat May 15, 2021 12:00 pm

If it's not been used for the rest of the season I don't think they should introduce it for these final 5 games. I also don't think VAR should be used in the cup competitions when only the PL and a handful of Championship teams are equipped for it and the rest of the teams play without it.

Sat May 15, 2021 12:06 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:If it's not been used for the rest of the season I don't think they should introduce it for these final 5 games. I also don't think VAR should be used in the cup competitions when only the PL and a handful of Championship teams are equipped for it and the rest of the teams play without it.

What happens if officials make a calamity like city v Chelsea game in the final? Bit late to say should have had var when it was available..... a lot more at stake than in previous years.

Sat May 15, 2021 1:30 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:If it's not been used for the rest of the season I don't think they should introduce it for these final 5 games. I also don't think VAR should be used in the cup competitions when only the PL and a handful of Championship teams are equipped for it and the rest of the teams play without it.

What happens if officials make a calamity like city v Chelsea game in the final? Bit late to say should have had var when it was available..... a lot more at stake than in previous years.

Why is there any more importance on getting the correct decision in the final instead of any other league game. Imagine Derby's penalty to make it 3-3 last weekend shouldn't have stood, Derby would've ended up relegated and Wednesday would be in the Championship next season. Or on the final day a team could concede and offside goal and go from 2nd to 3rd and miss out on automatic promotion. Why do they only get the advantages of VAR once they've been wrongfully pushed down to 3rd? Going from 2nd to 3rd and vice versa has just as much at stake as winning the play offs.

In the FA Cup, I understand that League 2 teams and conference teams probably aren't equipped to install VAR but in the Championship every team/stadium could use VAR. So in my opinion it should either be used all season or not at all. Not just in the play offs.

Sat May 15, 2021 2:18 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Why is there any more importance on getting the correct decision in the final instead of any other league game. Imagine Derby's penalty to make it 3-3 last weekend shouldn't have stood, Derby would've ended up relegated and Wednesday would be in the Championship next season. Or on the final day a team could concede and offside goal and go from 2nd to 3rd and miss out on automatic promotion. Why do they only get the advantages of VAR once they've been wrongfully pushed down to 3rd? Going from 2nd to 3rd and vice versa has just as much at stake as winning the play offs.

In the FA Cup, I understand that League 2 teams and conference teams probably aren't equipped to install VAR but in the Championship every team/stadium could use VAR. So in my opinion it should either be used all season or not at all. Not just in the play offs.

Lots Managers want var
in championship but efl wont finance it.... but agree should not be used in cup games but using it as they do would be same as using in playoffs and not league games why is it more important in final £140million is a big enough reason to use it especially if officials error loses game for a side.. personally dont want var in football as its breeding cheats and players manipulating system..

Sat May 15, 2021 2:33 pm

I have to be honest and say that I really don't want VAR anywhere near the EFL. I absolutely hate it.
It puts me right off watching PL games on the tv.
For me football is a game about humans including all their flaws - players, fans and officials.
Yes they make mistakes but VAR is a million miles from perfect. It seems to take away much of the spirit of the game even when technically correct.

Sat May 15, 2021 2:53 pm

I also think it shouldn't be used in the play-offs because it hasn't been used in the rest of the Championship season.

The calls for VAR to be used in the Championship will get stronger and I'm not against that, as long as it's used all season and not just for the play-offs.

I'm a supporter of VAR.

However, I can't see it happening any time soon. Mainly due to the cost.

The EFL are asking the Premier League for more money and I'm not sure how it would look if they suddenly invested money on bringing in VAR.

The other issue is that the EFL isn't just the Championship, there are two other leagues. So you would then have League One and League Two clubs saying they want VAR as well, as they're part of the same organisation.

For those reasons, it's a complete non-starter at the moment.

Sat May 15, 2021 5:57 pm

Clusterman wrote:I have to be honest and say that I really don't want VAR anywhere near the EFL. I absolutely hate it.
It puts me right off watching PL games on the tv.
For me football is a game about humans including all their flaws - players, fans and officials.
Yes they make mistakes but VAR is a million miles from perfect. It seems to take away much of the spirit of the game even when technically correct.

Have to agree mate.. it’s made the game a worse watch imo.. get rid of co-commentators as well, Jenas is ruining theCup Final with his gibberish..

Sun May 16, 2021 9:24 pm

Good.
VAR deserves to be in the Premier League and thats it.
The EFL have enough problems with poor refereeing decisions throughout the Championship, League 1 and League 2.
Adding VAR to the EFL would be utter chaos.

Sun May 16, 2021 10:07 pm

pembroke allan wrote:EFL missed a trick here because if there is a clear error and it costs a team either place in final or the premier league they will have no choice but to bring it in for future games in playoffs, so a good time to try it now as fair few managers would like to see it used especially in playoffs with £120m at stake

Agree and if they are going to continue with this - Nice Way To Start ;)