Question Leicester City

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Question Leicester City

Postby Escott1927 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:31 am

maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Several things:

Recruitment - they have a very good scouting set-up. That helped them to sign players like Riyad Mahrez and N'Golo Kante for good prices.

Reinvestment in the team - They then sold these good players they'd brought in at a good price, for a very healthy profit. The money was reinvested in their team to enable them to replace them with good players

Owners being more involved - their owners are similar to Manchester City's in a way. What I mean by that is they haven't just invested in the club, they've invested in the whole city as well and taken an active part in the community. This has led to them being loved by their fans and that will always help you be successful

Managers - they have made very good managerial appointments on two occasions. After they stayed up under Pearson, they brought in a manager with a fantastic record in Claudio Ranieri - who helped them win the title. It didn't work out with Puel and Shakespeare. But they then made another fantastic appointment in bringing in Brendan Rodgers - who, in my opinion, is one of the best managers in the UK.

Size - some on here have deluded themselves to think otherwise, but the fact is that Leicester City are a much bigger club than us. Even long before their current owners came in

Yes they are bigger in stature but they and similar clubs are where we should be aiming our sights as we have that potential...... But until somebody makes the club get off the merry go round we've been on past 10yrs or so we will probably only periodically have success like past 10yrs if we are lucky! Now is the time to change the whole set up and direction club is going.

They had a big push with their debt being wiped. That’s huge.

I’m not sure us fans have the patience for and form of long term planning.

Clearly he mistook the mood with the rebrand but that was Tan trying to form a long term plan with massive investment. We liked it to start with but then changed our mind. Hence my second point above.

We have made massive strides and are unrecognisable from the club we were even 15 years ago. However, things can always be better.

Speak for yourself. I didn't like it and i didn't know anyone who did either. For every fan that walked away, there was plenty of fans to take their place. That doesn't mean people liked it though. I remember speaking to the people outside who sell scarfs, badges and flags etc and they said they sold significantly more Blue stuff during the rebrand as people seen that as a way of protesting in the ground.

I dont buy into this Tan stopped investing when we turned back to blue shit either. We were half way through a season with slade when we changed back and the cost cutting has already started prior to that. If people were happy to play in red aslong as results were good, then surely continued investment would have kept the protests away.

The rebrand was a complete disaster. Tan could have had a relationship with the fans like we seen with Leicester if he hadnt of done it. But a lot of people will never forgive him for doing it.
Escott1927

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby skidemin » Mon May 17, 2021 12:28 pm

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Recruitment - they have a very good scouting set-up. That helped them to sign players like Riyad Mahrez and N'Golo Kante for good prices.

Reinvestment in the team - They then sold these good players they'd brought in at a good price, for a very healthy profit. The money was reinvested in their team to enable them to replace them with good players

Owners being more involved - their owners are similar to Manchester City's in a way. What I mean by that is they haven't just invested in the club, they've invested in the whole city as well and taken an active part in the community. This has led to them being loved by their fans and that will always help you be successful

Managers - they have made very good managerial appointments on two occasions. After they stayed up under Pearson, they brought in a manager with a fantastic record in Claudio Ranieri - who helped them win the title. It didn't work out with Puel and Shakespeare. But they then made another fantastic appointment in bringing in Brendan Rodgers - who, in my opinion, is one of the best managers in the UK.

Size - some on here have deluded themselves to think otherwise, but the fact is that Leicester City are a much bigger club than us. Even long before their current owners came in

Yes they are bigger in stature but they and similar clubs are where we should be aiming our sights as we have that potential...... But until somebody makes the club get off the merry go round we've been on past 10yrs or so we will probably only periodically have success like past 10yrs if we are lucky! Now is the time to change the whole set up and direction club is going.

Clearly he mistook the mood with the rebrand but that was Tan trying to form a long term plan with massive investment. We liked it to start with but then changed our mind. Hence my second point above.

We have made massive strides and are unrecognisable from the club we were even 15 years ago. However, things can always be better.

did you actually like it to start with..... i didnt and neither did anyone i know , thought it was something people reluctantly accepted as the price for overdue success.

We liked the investment, we liked buying players. We changed our mind about what we were prepared to take to get that investment.

right...take your politician hat off and answer..... did you like being in red....
im fully aware people accepted the price as the attendances were good... but like ?

I wasn’t that arsed if I’m honest.

I read something that Gwyn Davies wrote. About a blind Cardiff fan who didn’t see colours just heard the atmosphere and that’s what got him into the City. That persuaded me colour of the shirt wasn’t a massive factor. We have changed kit colours before. We have changed badges.

The club is the fans and the players on the pitch not what colour they are wearing.

Certainly there didn’t seem to be people who were that bothered when we were winning the championship title nor when we beat Man City.

However I respect those that were bothered. What I don’t respect is people who went but then stopped years later when we suddenly were shit again and said it was rebrand. There were loads of those.

that bothered.... well no, not enough to protest early doors... but to do so was sticking noses up at investment the like that this club had never had before... for most fans something we had seen and been envious of happening elsewhere.. only for us there was a price....
i wonder how impressed Gwyns blind friend was with the new toxic atmosphere...
skidemin

Postby Bluebina » Mon May 17, 2021 12:33 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:Spend. Big time.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leicest ... erein/1003

TransferMarkt isn't always the best for transfer fees but look, the entire first page (25 results) of their record transfers are under their current ownership. They've spent well over £500 million on players alone in the past 6 years. Plus a £100 million training facility.

Added on top of this massive spending you've got a family who clearly have emotional ties to the club instead of purely business interests. They're a very likable club with big ambitions, plus owners that have a healthy relationship with the players (Vichai was carrying the PL trophy around like he was part of the squad when they won and his son today seemed very friendly with the players and was part of the on pitch celebrations) which means they're an attractive destination for players.

Whilst they are still very much the underdogs in terms of winning leagues and cups, their route to success isn't something most teams could emulate.

And picked good managers !

Brenda has surprised me, he has done very well at Liverpool and now Leicester and a good job at the other clubs too!
Bluebina

Postby maccydee » Mon May 17, 2021 5:50 pm

skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

did you actually like it to start with..... i didnt and neither did anyone i know , thought it was something people reluctantly accepted as the price for overdue success.

We liked the investment, we liked buying players. We changed our mind about what we were prepared to take to get that investment.

right...take your politician hat off and answer..... did you like being in red....
im fully aware people accepted the price as the attendances were good... but like ?

I read something that Gwyn Davies wrote. About a blind Cardiff fan who didn’t see colours just heard the atmosphere and that’s what got him into the City. That persuaded me colour of the shirt wasn’t a massive factor. We have changed kit colours before. We have changed badges.

The club is the fans and the players on the pitch not what colour they are wearing.

Certainly there didn’t seem to be people who were that bothered when we were winning the championship title nor when we beat Man City.

However I respect those that were bothered. What I don’t respect is people who went but then stopped years later when we suddenly were shit again and said it was rebrand. There were loads of those.

that bothered.... well no, not enough to protest early doors... but to do so was sticking noses up at investment the like that this club had never had before... for most fans something we had seen and been envious of happening elsewhere.. only for us there was a price....

Man City home was really toxic
maccydee

Postby maccydee » Mon May 17, 2021 5:53 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Speak for yourself. I didn't like it and i didn't know anyone who did either. For every fan that walked away, there was plenty of fans to take their place. That doesn't mean people liked it though. I remember speaking to the people outside who sell scarfs, badges and flags etc and they said they sold significantly more Blue stuff during the rebrand as people seen that as a way of protesting in the ground.

I dont buy into this Tan stopped investing when we turned back to blue shit either. We were half way through a season with slade when we changed back and the cost cutting has already started prior to that. If people were happy to play in red aslong as results were good, then surely continued investment would have kept the protests away.

The rebrand was a complete disaster. Tan could have had a relationship with the fans like we seen with Leicester if he hadnt of done it. But a lot of people will never forgive him for doing it.

I’m not saying people liked the red I’m saying people liked the investment. Huge difference. Liking the investment meant they weren’t really that arsed about the red as they wanted a winning team.

The protests against the red really took hold as relegation became inevitable and into the next season. That’s when Tan decided it was going to be reversed. He then wanted a face saving way to do that,
maccydee

Postby skidemin » Mon May 17, 2021 6:08 pm

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

correct....only in lalaland were people switching on and off like a light....
skidemin

Postby maccydee » Mon May 17, 2021 6:22 pm

skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

correct....only in lalaland were people switching on and off like a light....

It wasn’t though was it? It was a class atmosphere. The toxicity was towards the year’s end when Malky played the fans. By then we were struggling somewhat.
maccydee

Postby WestCoastBlue » Mon May 17, 2021 7:34 pm

maccydee wrote:It wasn’t though was it? It was a class atmosphere. The toxicity was towards the year’s end when Malky played the fans. By then we were struggling somewhat.

I was in the Grange and Ninian stands during our first season in the PL and I thought the atmosphere was great fun. Only notable times I can remember the atmosphere being particularly toxic was Swansea (obviously) and when Tan came on the pitch after, I think, the Liverpool game. Towards the end of the season when we were struggling the atmosphere turned worse but I don’t remember it being any more toxic than when we were on bad runs under Slade or Trollope. But that’s just anecdotal from where I was in the ground.
WestCoastBlue

Postby maccydee » Mon May 17, 2021 7:39 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
maccydee wrote:It wasn’t though was it? It was a class atmosphere. The toxicity was towards the year’s end when Malky played the fans. By then we were struggling somewhat.

I was in the Grange and Ninian stands during our first season in the PL and I thought the atmosphere was great fun. Only notable times I can remember the atmosphere being particularly toxic was Swansea (obviously) and when Tan came on the pitch after, I think, the Liverpool game. Towards the end of the season when we were struggling the atmosphere turned worse but I don’t remember it being any more toxic than when we were on bad runs under Slade or Trollope. But that’s just anecdotal from where I was in the ground.

I didn’t attend in the premier league so I wouldn’t know but the promotion season I did and it was pretty happy.

I wore blue as an aside
maccydee

Postby Isawgarystevensscoreagoal » Wed May 19, 2021 6:10 am

maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

No. Tan stopped investing which meant meant he hadn't delivered on his promises. Which years later is still true and our debt remains. The Malkay episode saw the "transfer committee" and finance people involved in football decisions and where has that got us? I tolerated the red as its the club I've supported for my whole life. That Slade era was an absolute farce after what had been achieved and bluebirds playing in red was the tin lid. If comparisons to Leicesters journey are being made, Leicester owners would never have appointed a Slade and haven't mdicked about with the colour of their shirts and history of the club.
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal

Postby skidemin » Wed May 19, 2021 8:32 am

maccydee wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

I didn’t attend in the premier league so I wouldn’t know but the promotion season I did and it was pretty happy.

I wore blue as an aside

you were not even there then were you ?
but yes it had turned toxic which is not the same as everyone wanting our team to win or to beat the league champions.
that horrible wanker song had started in the championship season not long after the Brighton game...seen bullying at Peterbrough when some youngsters started singing always be blue.... and quite a bit of intimidation in the Canton over red....more than i can count ... and the prem..? Villa Park pre game was flat out dont sack Mackay .... we were 10th ...i did all but 2 games that season and saw literally hundreds of arguments and all over the same thing...VT....
this idea that it was 100% happy shoppers and great atmosphere for a season and a half and then just suddenly kicked in one day ...no....
skidemin

Postby Escott1927 » Wed May 19, 2021 10:31 am

skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

I wore blue as an aside

but yes it had turned toxic which is not the same as everyone wanting our team to win or to beat the league champions.
that horrible wanker song had started in the championship season not long after the Brighton game...seen bullying at Peterbrough when some youngsters started singing always be blue.... and quite a bit of intimidation in the Canton over red....more than i can count ... and the prem..? Villa Park pre game was flat out dont sack Mackay .... we were 10th ...i did all but 2 games that season and saw literally hundreds of arguments and all over the same thing...VT....
this idea that it was 100% happy shoppers and great atmosphere for a season and a half and then just suddenly kicked in one day ...no....

Well said. There's a difference between cheering on the team you've supported your entire life and cheering the rebrand. The rebrand fractured the fan base from the start. Like you I did many games during the that shit show so also witnessed a lot bullying/fighting amongst fans. Literally before and during every game pretty much. Just because fans weren't outside the stadium with torches and pitch folks from the start, doesnt mean it was happy families. The fighting was happening long before the investment stopped and the shit football started.
Escott1927

Postby skidemin » Wed May 19, 2021 11:37 am

Escott1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
maccydee wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

I wore blue as an aside

Well said. There's a difference between cheering on the team you've supported your entire life and cheering the rebrand. The rebrand fractured the fan base from the start. Like you I did many games during the that shit show so also witnessed a lot bullying/fighting amongst fans. Literally before and during every game pretty much. Just because fans weren't outside the stadium with torches and pitch folks from the start, doesnt mean it was happy families. The fighting was happening long before the investment stopped and the shit football started.

it was a lot worse in away games i found , but im shocked that anyone that attended home games witnessed nothing at all..
skidemin

Postby bluebird04 » Wed May 19, 2021 12:12 pm

Not bothered reading any of the replies but the idea of

How are Leicester where they are now and we are where we are. It's probably the same question Blackpool ask about us. They beat us in a final, and now are in league one and we're top half championship.
bluebird04

Postby skiprat » Wed May 19, 2021 7:49 pm

Because Leicester have traditionally played in the top division and have now kicked on .us on the other hand traditionally bump along in the second tier or worse.
skiprat

Previous

Return to General Chat