Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Joe Bennett & Sol Bamba '

Mon May 17, 2021 6:34 am

Cardiff City chairman Mehmet Dalman has revealed the club remain locked in crunch talks with Joe Bennett and Sol Bamba as time begins to run out for deals to be struck.

BBC

Monday 17th May 2021

Bennett and Bamba have been at Cardiff for five years and have grown to become favourites among the fan base, but find themselves out of contract this summer.

One big-name player has already announced his departure from the club in the form of Junior Hoilett, who was brought in by Neil Warnock the same time as Bamba, with the club set to reveal their retained and released list imminently.

But there is a growing concern among Bennett's supporters that the left back, who Dalman believes is the best in his position in the Championship, could leave upon the expiry of his contract this summer.

The 31- year-old was back to playing his best football under Mick McCarthy, having slotted seamlessly into that left wing-back role, but crumpled to the ground in agony after sustaining a knee injury in the 4-0 win over Derby back in March.

Having undergone surgery, the best prognosis seems to be that he will miss at least the first month of next season, but that timescale could be longer.

However, the player's future remains up in the air, with a new contract having already been rejected by Bennett before his injury. Dalman insists they will continue their negotiations over the coming weeks.

MEHMET DALMAN:

"There are a number of players whose contracts are coming to an end," Dalman told the BBC.

"Joe Bennett is one of them. We like Joe Bennett, he has been a great servant to the club.

"I actually think he is the best left-back in that league and he has been, I think, for the last couple of seasons – if not longer.

"Unfortunately, we tried to negotiate a deal with him, we couldn't reach an agreement and then the injury happened.

"We have a duty of care and we continue to dialogue with Joe and see if we can find a solution.

"But if not, we don't really have much choice. But we will continue to have that dialogue because we feel a sense of responsibility."

While Joel Bagan is certainly a promising prospect, it is unlikely Cardiff will entrust him with an entire season's worth of Championship football next term.

Should the club fail to strike a deal with Bennett, they will go shopping in the market for another left back.

As for Sol Bamba, of course, the situation is slightly different.

Bamba is keen to play again, however given the tribulations of the last four months following his cancer diagnosis, there are far more pertinent things which need to be taken care of first.

The centre-back, 36, made a triumphant return to the pitch on the final day of the season, albeit for only 10 seconds at the end of the clash with Rotherham, after finishing his sixth and final round of chemotherapy.

Bamba, who is currently undertaking his badges with the FAW, revealed to WalesOnline there is a pathway in place for him at Cardiff to become part of the structure in a coaching capacity in the years to come.

There are, though, complications surrounding his own contract and that could well involve that playing/coaching split.

While Dalman did not divulge too much, the City chief was adamant that his prime concern was to see Bamba fit and well once again.

"First of all, Sol is one of the nicest — a great guy," the Bluebirds chairman added. "I've always had good rapport with him.

"I still remember the first day he walked into the club to sign for us, he has got that smile on his face whatever happens.

"First of all, our wish is for him to get well and that's got to be his prime importance. Our job, our responsibility, is to support him through that.

"Over the next few weeks, dialogue will continue to see how we go forward. It's not that clear-cut to be honest with you, there are a number of elements involved, and all the parties need to discuss this.

"But I'm a big fan of Sol and I hope he gets better. That's my prime concern."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Joe Bennett & Sol Bamba '

Mon May 17, 2021 6:44 am

Key player in Micks wingback system, I will be surprised if we don't do a deal and keep Bennett!

Mon May 17, 2021 6:53 am

No coincidence our season dropped off when Bennett and Ng got injured, despite their replacements doing well.

Hopefully Bennett will sign an extension but if not he will be a big loss. Dalman appears to recognise that so I think if Bennett really wants to stay there will be a decent contract offered, if he wants to move there’s nothing much the club can do.

Mon May 17, 2021 7:20 am

Reply FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 17, 2021 8:52 am

Bennett has been great for us but as player on high decent wages I wouldn't be disappointed to see him go.

We have some decent young players who can play the LWB and LB position.

Also, Amari’i Bell is available for free. A cheaper option, younger and more suited to the wing back role that MM seems to favour.

As for Sol. I would like to see him around next year as a coach and potential back-up to the three central defenders, but not as a first team starter.

Mon May 17, 2021 9:29 am

piledriver64 wrote:No coincidence our season dropped off when Bennett and Ng got injured, despite their replacements doing well.

Hopefully Bennett will sign an extension but if not he will be a big loss. Dalman appears to recognise that so I think if Bennett really wants to stay there will be a decent contract offered, if he wants to move there’s nothing much the club can do.

i agree we looked a different team after he got injured.. and with Dalmans assessment of him , as for the contract we just do not know what the turned down offer was...i would imagine though that his agent has been busy seeing what other clubs might be interested and at what terms as they are allowed to do between the final window under contract and the contract ending..

Mon May 17, 2021 2:14 pm

Please keep both Bennett and Bamba.
Joe is our best left back and I bet Sol would love to play at least 1 season in front of us bluebirds fans for his farewell.
So fingers crossed both can stay we have got youngsters in there positions ready in Brown and Bagan. So the youngsters can learn from the veterans to further improve there developments in the club so even if its for 1 or 2 years for either that would mean the world to the younger players and for us fans who missed out on watching the team live throughout this season.

Mon May 17, 2021 3:23 pm

Bamba should be offered a position on the coaching staff.
He’s well respected and has so much to offer, but even ignoring any health concerns, at his age just not on the pitch imo.
We’re not reaching the Prem carrying players and need to clear the decks with many who are in all honesty not good enough.
As far as Bennett is concerned, I’d start Bagan. If Joe can’t agree a significant cut and be a bench player next season, then he should go.

I would keep:

Phillips
Morrison
Bagan
Ng
Sang (who should be given a go centre mid)
Williams
Colwill
Watters (deserves some game time pre-season)
Moore

All the rest can go.
Start playing football and get Bannan in.

Mon May 17, 2021 3:42 pm

Ketteringblues wrote:Bamba should be offered a position on the coaching staff.
He’s well respected and has so much to offer, but even ignoring any health concerns, at his age just not on the pitch imo.
We’re not reaching the Prem carrying players and need to clear the decks with many who are in all honesty not good enough.
As far as Bennett is concerned, I’d start Bagan. If Joe can’t agree a significant cut and be a bench player next season, then he should go.

I would keep:

Phillips
Morrison
Bagan
Ng
Williams
Colwill
Moore

All the rest can go.

If we get rid of Joe and play Began that's the season over, we need at least as good or better didn't people spot the drop in points when he and NG got injured?

They are key players along with the more obvious ones Like Moore, Morison, Wilson, and probably Vaulks this season.

Mon May 17, 2021 3:53 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Ketteringblues wrote:Bamba should be offered a position on the coaching staff.

I would keep:

Phillips
Morrison
Bagan
Ng
Williams
Colwill
Moore

All the rest can go.

If we get rid of Joe and play Began that's the season over, we need at least as good or better didn't people spot the drop in points when he and NG got injured?

They are key players along with the more obvious ones Like Moore, Morison, Wilson, and probably Vaulks this season.

A little harsh on Bagan.
Thought he did well. Bennett is useful going forwards but his defending isn’t great.

Different position, but what’s Camarasa up to these days? Not done much with Betis.