Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

League 1 club Crewe after Cardiff City first team Striker

Mon May 17, 2021 6:41 am

Cardiff City front man emerges as transfer target just days after Mick McCarthy's revealing admission

Monday 27th May 2021

The forward is being eyed for a move this summer and after the Bluebirds boss' latest comments it could come to fruition

Cardiff City striker Mark Harris is the subject of transfer interest from Crewe Alexandra, according to reports.

The Bluebirds academy graduate was handed his first real chance at first-team football by Neil Harris just before Christmas and struck up a partnership with Kieffer Moore during a purple patch of form for the club.

However, following a poor run of results and the manager's sacking, Harris' opportunities were greatly reduced and he played a bit-part role for the remainder of the campaign.

While he is yet to really pull up trees in a Cardiff shirt, his three league goals this season were all taken well and, according to The Sun on Sunday, it appears Crewe have taken note.

Cardiff are in negotiations with the 23-year-old over a new deal, however they are likely to take up the year-long extension option they have on his current contract to keep him in situ next term.

With Cardiff's released and retained list set to be revealed imminently, the Bluebirds are trying to tie up a number of loose ends, with Harris, Ciaron Brown, Sol Bamba and Joe Bennett all embroiled in situations which need to be resolved.

But while Mick McCarthy himself has stated Harris will be at the club next term, he is not averse to the prospect of seeing him go out on loan in order to seek regular game time.

MICK McCARTHY:

"We are currently discussing a new contract, so whatever happens he will be here next year," the manager said recently.

"I would prefer it if he signed and he is happy with it.

"If he doesn't play in the first team then we can loan him out."

That in itself appears rather telling.

We know that McCarthy is keen to get at least one striker through the door this summer, chairman Mehmet Dalman said as much on Friday night, and that will mean fewer opportunities for Harris to force his way into the reckoning.

Cardiff currently have Kieffer Moore rightly installed as their kingpin, while Max Watters will no doubt be wanting more game time next season following the the club's outlay to get him in back in January.

The feeling is that McCarthy wants another proven league goalscorer at the club to help ease the burden on Moore, given the relative inexperience of his two back-up options Watters and Harris.

With Watters and Harris very similar in the manner in which they play, it is logical that one of them seeks regular game time elsewhere next term.

With Crewe seemingly circling, a temporary, short-term departure for Harris might well make sense.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: League 1 club Crewe after Cardiff City first team Strike

Mon May 17, 2021 6:44 am

Mark Harris is 23 years old this year and in over 4 years has only made 18 first team appearances for Cardiff City scoring 3 goals.

Went on loan to non league Wrexham scoring just 3 goals in 18 appearances in the non league.

Is it time Harris moved on?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 17, 2021 8:23 am

Cardiff City man eyed for League One summer switch

By Toby Wilding

Crewe Gazette

Monday 17th May 2021

Crewe Alexandra are keen to sign striker Mark Harris on loan from Cardiff City for next season.

A graduate of Cardiff’s academy, Harris has previously spent time out on loan with Newport, Port Vale and Wrexham.

This season, the 22-year-old remained with the Bluebirds, scoring three goals and providing one assist in 16 league appearances for the club.

Now though, it seems as though Harris could be back on the move again this summer, in what could be a busy few months of business for the striker.

According to this latest update, Crewe are hopeful of taking Harris on a season-long loan for the 2021/22 campaign, as they look to build on their 12th place finish in League One this season, following their promotion from League Two in 2019/20.

It is also thought that Harris is being lined up for a new long-term contract at Cardiff, with his current deal in the Welsh capital set to expire at the end of next season.

The Verdict

This does look as though it could be a rather decent agreement all-round in my opinion.

It does seem as though Cardiff are keen to add another striker to their ranks as cover for Kieffer Moore this summer, meaning it could be hard for Harris to get game time next season.

As a result, a loan move away could suit him well, given it could give him an extended run of playing senior football, something which ought to aid his development.

That would therefore, then make it sensible for Cardiff to hand the 22-year-old a new contract, since it would allow them to be the ones to benefit from the progress Harris could make during his time out on loan with a club such as Crewe.

Mon May 17, 2021 9:37 am

I think that would be a good move for him.

He is not championship standard and needs to start banging goals in fairly regularly at any level to get some confidence in him.

Mon May 17, 2021 9:54 am

Barclay1 wrote:I think that would be a good move for him.

He is not championship standard and needs to start banging goals in fairly regularly at any level to get some confidence in him.

He is certainly not a championship standard forward maybe he would be better as an attacking midfielder. Crewe do have a reputation as a good footballing side and might actually find his best position and generally get the best out of him. He does have ability but I don't think he will ever be a free scoring striker. Probably a loan with them would be a good move for everyone concerned.

Mon May 17, 2021 11:59 am

Crayfish wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:I think that would be a good move for him.

He is certainly not a championship standard forward maybe he would be better as an attacking midfielder. Crewe do have a reputation as a good footballing side and might actually find his best position and generally get the best out of him. He does have ability but I don't think he will ever be a free scoring striker. Probably a loan with them would be a good move for everyone concerned.

I agree. Not good enough for us imo but would probably do well there prompting ‘we should never have sold him’ posts.

Mon May 17, 2021 12:22 pm

... and yet we are offering him a new contract??

I really don't get it.

Mon May 17, 2021 12:34 pm

Barclay1 wrote:... and yet we are offering him a new contract??

I really don't get it.

its funny.... he is the best academy player we have produced in some time , plenty think he is not good enough yet want to randomly throw lesser players in the first team....cant make it up...

Mon May 17, 2021 1:17 pm

He’s not good enough however the Club gave him his chance and when he goes he can look at a good career which many do not.

He needs games now and will not get them with us.

Mon May 17, 2021 2:12 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:He’s not good enough however the Club gave him his chance and when he goes he can look at a good career which many do not.

ill go along with whatever MM thinks but think your probably correct and he is going to fall short here but prob have a career elsewhere........ has been racking up under 21 caps from a relatively young age and has more than the rest of our academy combined

Mon May 17, 2021 2:24 pm

Pulisnewport wrote:He’s not good enough however the Club gave him his chance and when he goes he can look at a good career which many do not.

Karl,

I agree and I think he is a lower league player , four of our managers have given Harris chances, did not do well at Wrexham.

We’ve been holding on to him as we are trying to make out that some of our players like Harris are Championship players and they are they are not.

A good under 23 player for the under 23’s v Crewe, Colchester etc

Mon May 17, 2021 3:07 pm

Barclay1 wrote:... and yet we are offering him a new contract??

I really don't get it.

I doubt his wages are high so offering him a new contract isn't going to break the bank. Whilst I don't think hes championship standard, he could do a job in league 1. Mick has already said he will be loaned out if he won't get game time here. I guess the idea is to loan him out and hope he does well which might result in an offer coming in for him.

Mon May 17, 2021 4:02 pm

I'd personally sell him but add a buy back clause in case he does the unexpected and tears up league one