Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Rangers told Harry Wilsons transfer price

Tue May 18, 2021 1:40 pm

Rangers told Liverpool asking price amid Jurgen Klopp's attacking transfer plan with Cardiff City waiting in the wings

A decision is likely to be made in the forthcoming weeks concerning the Cardiff City loan man's long-term future with Liverpool exit likely

Tuesday 18th May 2021

Harry Wilson is set for a big summer on and off the pitch.

The Liverpool winger spent the past season on loan at Cardiff City, getting valuable minutes under his belt ahead of the European Championships with Wales which kick off next month.

On the whole it was a successful stint in the Welsh capital for the 24-year-old, where he notched up seven goals in 37 league appearances for Mick McCarthy's side, and offered assists on 12 occasions.

He will obviously be concentrating on national team commitments for the next few weeks but his long-term future can't be too far away from his mind.

He has one year left to run on his Anfield contract and according to sources in the north west, he will be allowed to leave this summer, with Jurgen Klopp keen to cash in on the winger.

The Athletic's James Pearce reports that Liverpool will look for £15million for the attacker this summer, which will be of interest to linked clubs, including Rangers.

"I can only see one attacking signing this summer," Pearce wrote about Liverpool's transfer plans.

"Rangers haven't asked about Wilson yet, not sure if that will change. He's certainly for sale this summer. But at £15m it may only be PL clubs who can afford him. Wouldn't surprise me if one of the promoted clubs went for him."

Pearce believes that price tag may only favour Premier League sides but with Steven Gerrard in charge at Ibrox, a Reds reunion in Glasgow cannot be ruled out, as suggested by former Rangers defender Michael Ball recently.

He told thisisfutbol.com : “Steven’s got that connection with him. He knows of him, so that personal relationship could be a bonus. The money, we’re not too sure what they have to spend, so it all depends if any players move out as well at Rangers.

“If [Alfredo] Morelos moves on, the big money that they’ll get would give Rangers the opportunity to bring Harry and maybe a few others in.”

As for the Bluebirds, they would of course love to bring Wilson back to south Wales for next season. McCarthy has previously played down the prospect of a second term in the capital, suggesting that Wilson would be moving on from Anfield permanently this summer.

That is a view shared by City chairman Mehmet Dalman, who did admit there was a desire to re-sign Wilson if the opportunity arose. He said last week : "I would imagine Liverpool will be looking to sell him.

"Liverpool knows our desire to have him back. If there’s any change in the circumstances there I’m pretty confident Liverpool will let us know.”

Rangers - or indeed any top-flight English side - would instantly blow Cardiff out of the water if a permanent transfer is sought during the upcoming transfer window.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Rangers told Harry Wilsons transfer price

Tue May 18, 2021 2:54 pm

Don’t think he’s on Rangers radar.

Wed May 19, 2021 2:41 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Rangers told Liverpool asking price amid Jurgen Klopp's attacking transfer plan with Cardiff City waiting in the wings

A decision is likely to be made in the forthcoming weeks concerning the Cardiff City loan man's long-term future with Liverpool exit likely

Tuesday 18th May 2021

The Liverpool winger spent the past season on loan at Cardiff City, getting valuable minutes under his belt ahead of the European Championships with Wales which kick off next month.

On the whole it was a successful stint in the Welsh capital for the 24-year-old, where he notched up seven goals in 37 league appearances for Mick McCarthy's side, and offered assists on 12 occasions.

He will obviously be concentrating on national team commitments for the next few weeks but his long-term future can't be too far away from his mind.

He has one year left to run on his Anfield contract and according to sources in the north west, he will be allowed to leave this summer, with Jurgen Klopp keen to cash in on the winger.

The Athletic's James Pearce reports that Liverpool will look for £15million for the attacker this summer, which will be of interest to linked clubs, including Rangers.

"I can only see one attacking signing this summer," Pearce wrote about Liverpool's transfer plans.

"Rangers haven't asked about Wilson yet, not sure if that will change. He's certainly for sale this summer. But at £15m it may only be PL clubs who can afford him. Wouldn't surprise me if one of the promoted clubs went for him."

Pearce believes that price tag may only favour Premier League sides but with Steven Gerrard in charge at Ibrox, a Reds reunion in Glasgow cannot be ruled out, as suggested by former Rangers defender Michael Ball recently.

He told thisisfutbol.com : “Steven’s got that connection with him. He knows of him, so that personal relationship could be a bonus. The money, we’re not too sure what they have to spend, so it all depends if any players move out as well at Rangers.

“If [Alfredo] Morelos moves on, the big money that they’ll get would give Rangers the opportunity to bring Harry and maybe a few others in.”

As for the Bluebirds, they would of course love to bring Wilson back to south Wales for next season. McCarthy has previously played down the prospect of a second term in the capital, suggesting that Wilson would be moving on from Anfield permanently this summer.

That is a view shared by City chairman Mehmet Dalman, who did admit there was a desire to re-sign Wilson if the opportunity arose. He said last week : "I would imagine Liverpool will be looking to sell him.

"Liverpool knows our desire to have him back. If there’s any change in the circumstances there I’m pretty confident Liverpool will let us know.”

Rangers - or indeed any top-flight English side - would instantly blow Cardiff out of the water if a permanent transfer is sought during the upcoming transfer window.

For me, this move is as already dead in the water for us, as even at £10m we couldnt afford him, good luck to him, but cant see him going to rangers, but then again the possible lure of champions league could sway him I guess.

Wed May 19, 2021 2:41 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Rangers told Liverpool asking price amid Jurgen Klopp's attacking transfer plan with Cardiff City waiting in the wings

Tuesday 18th May 2021

For me, this move is as already dead in the water for us, as even at £10m we couldnt afford him, good luck to him, but cant see him going to rangers, but then again the possible lure of champions league could sway him I guess.